Fabian re: Paul Smith

FabNic

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95
For any "old-timers" who got a kick out of seeing Paul Smith's art in
X-MEN #42 (and also to appear in #43), just imagine how I must have felt!

I was actually working with the man who drew my second favorite run of
stories on the Uncanny title! It was a pleasure to work with Paul for
those two issues, which I feel had a real "innocent" style to them which
the titles have been sorely lacking of late.

Not too much angst oozing off the page, very few continuity calamities,
just a straight-out, rollicking adventure story!
(And I expect that old-timers will also love/hate the cliff-hanger ending
to #43)

Andy Kubert will be back with #44. Which is a story of the hard task of
leadership, focusing on Xavier and Scott Summers.
We are currently working on #45 (nothing but Rogue, Gambit and Iceman!)
and quite honestly, Andy's art has NEVER looked better on this title as it
has these last couple of issues!

Maybe the Age of Apocalypse served as a bit of an... enema... which was
needed to clear out some creative clogs? Time will tell.

What's coming up after that?
#46 and #47 will deal with the Presidential aspirations of one of our
villains, involving the information-gatherer, Commcast and his Executive
Elite organization -- who they are and why they exist will prove rather
surprising to readers.

Now for some plugs of completely different material:
The TWO GUN KID Limited Series will now be 2-Issues, 64 pages each issue,
coming out in September/October. It's a project which will surprise many
of you X-Racers who think I can't write and please all of you who think I
can.
I've also committed to writing (at least) the first 4 issues of a new
CAPTAIN MARVEL title (the Legacy character from Silver Surfer),
tentatively scheduled (depending on the artist's availability) for
October. Mark Gruenwald will be editing, which clinched my decision to do
it (besides my long-time affection for the original Mar-Vell character and
the current Ron Marz-created Legacy-version). All I'll say is that I hope
to do with this character and title exactly what James Ropbinson has done
with Starman -- namely, to take something expected and make it a very
unexpected (yes, it'll be mostly space opera/science ficiton, but any
comic which will is tentatively slated to start its first issue with the
main character coming off a six day drinking/drug/sex binge can't be all
bad!).

Hey, from the wild west to outer space, at least when I finally end my
"maternity-leave" and decide to dabble in non-X things, I don't go
half-way!

Thanks for your time.

-- fabian

Jacob W Michaels

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95
FabNic (fab...@aol.com) wrote:

: Andy Kubert will be back with #44. Which is a story of the hard task of

: leadership, focusing on Xavier and Scott Summers.

*sigh* I understand the need for these stories, but it's just too
bad that the leadership of the x-men are some of the worst characters
on the team.

: We are currently working on #45 (nothing but Rogue, Gambit and Iceman!)

: and quite honestly, Andy's art has NEVER looked better on this title as it
: has these last couple of issues!

I've really liked Iceman with what's been done to him lately.
He's probably my current favorite X-Man.

: Maybe the Age of Apocalypse served as a bit of an... enema... which was

: needed to clear out some creative clogs? Time will tell.

ugh-there was a mental image I really did NOT need.

: What's coming up after that?

: #46 and #47 will deal with the Presidential aspirations of one of our
: villains, involving the information-gatherer, Commcast and his Executive
: Elite organization -- who they are and why they exist will prove rather
: surprising to readers.

*sniff sniff* I smell Senator Kelly! Yes! My all time favorite x-villian.
(Hey, even if it's not him (I think he's reforming) it's in DC so he
should get involved somehow) and his Aide!

Wait a second. This is 4 issues with no hint of a crossover. That can't
be right.

: Now for some plugs of completely different material:

: The TWO GUN KID Limited Series will now be 2-Issues, 64 pages each issue,
: coming out in September/October. It's a project which will surprise many
: of you X-Racers who think I can't write and please all of you who think I
: can.

Heh. Anyone have previews or know how much it costs?

whoops-cut too much. this was about Fabe writing Capt. Marvel/

: unexpected (yes, it'll be mostly space opera/science ficiton, but any

: comic which will is tentatively slated to start its first issue with the
: main character coming off a six day drinking/drug/sex binge can't be all
: bad!).

Definitely not. I love those types of binges. er, I mean, never mind :)

: Thanks for your time.

No problem. It was this or my Spanish final :)

Jacob the Sycophant "homeward bound, wish I was hooooomeward bound."

glab

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95
to fab...@aol.com
>-- fabian
I have an interesting theory. You know how everyone says Mr.Sinister is afraid
of Cable? Well its all B.S. Sinister has been near cable at all times. Just in
a different form. Who you say? Well the answer is easy.
Tolliver.He's been following around Cable since he arrived. The facts add up.
You can never see his face. Second There was a mask floating in the water in
X-Force # 15. Finally it was revealed recently that he was really alive. Please
send me your reply at el...@viz.tamu.edu.
thanks,
Zach Kinsella

Jordan Davis

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95
glab (gl...@tamu.edu) wrote:
: >-- fabian

That might make sense if they hadn't already revealed that Tolliver was
actually Cable's son, Tyler, who had travelled back in time to become an
arms dealer and simultaneously try to kill his father. Mr. Sinister
doesn't sound too far-fetched after that.

JD

Joe Sherman

May 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/26/95
In article <3q2964$d...@nic.umass.edu>, JWMI...@phobos.oit.umass.edu

(Jacob W Michaels) writes:

|> : Andy Kubert will be back with #44. Which is a story of the hard task of
|> : leadership, focusing on Xavier and Scott Summers.
|>
|> *sigh* I understand the need for these stories, but it's just too
|> bad that the leadership of the x-men are some of the worst characters
|> on the team.

I won't lurk and let this pass by untouched. Scott Summers is (well, Scott
AND Jean Grey) is the reason I've stayed with the X-Men since the original
"Death of Professor X" in (Uncanny) X-Men $42.

Probably many of you would prefer that Scott wear a nipple ring and
tote a huge gun, talk bad and scare the hell out of people. I don't.

If Scott ever leaves the books, becomes a cyborg, grows claws,
is revealed to be a clone, or meets with any other major revision or
retcon, that's when I leave after 25+ years with the guy.

But then the X-Men for me would be like any other team . . . like
Sovereign Seven, for example.

Joe Sherman Department of Computer Science
joe...@cs.washington.edu and Engineering
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/joebob/ University of Washington

Paul O'Brien

May 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/27/95
fab...@aol.com (FabNic) writes:

>I was actually working with the man who drew my second favorite run of
>stories on the Uncanny title! It was a pleasure to work with Paul for
>those two issues, which I feel had a real "innocent" style to them which
>the titles have been sorely lacking of late.

I agree, Smith's art makes a lovely change from the norm. I
suppose Madureira and Townsend have been making strides away
from the grim'n'gritty style over on Uncanny, but it's great
to see Paul Smith back.

>Not too much angst oozing off the page, very few continuity calamities,
>just a straight-out, rollicking adventure story!

Very few? I only spotted one, and it was the startling,
ever-changing colours on Ororo's scarf. Presumably it's
done with holograms. :-)

>We are currently working on #45 (nothing but Rogue, Gambit and Iceman!)
>and quite honestly, Andy's art has NEVER looked better on this title as it
>has these last couple of issues!

Well, I'm not a fan, but I'll admit that he's been improving
lately, and that this issue's cover actually looked pretty
good (aside from the colouring error).

I liked the Rogue and Gambit subplot, by the way. While I
doubt it'll happen, it'd be nice to see Gambit suffer the
same fate as Carol Danvers, and have to start from scratch as
a blank slate. Especially with a copy of his original personality
on the same team...

Paul O'Brien
pr...@festival.ed.ac.uk, elf...@srv0.law.ed.ac.uk

The strange thing is, I don't even remember Harold Wilson.

Diane Moore

May 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/27/95
In <3q2ind$5...@news.tamu.edu> glab <gl...@tamu.edu> writes:

>>-- fabian
>I have an interesting theory. You know how everyone says Mr.Sinister
is afraid
>of Cable? Well its all B.S. Sinister has been near cable at all times.
Just in
>a different form. Who you say? Well the answer is easy.
>Tolliver.He's been following around Cable since he arrived. The facts
add up.
>You can never see his face. Second There was a mask floating in the
water in
>X-Force # 15. Finally it was revealed recently that he was really
alive. Please
>send me your reply at el...@viz.tamu.edu.
>thanks,
>Zach Kinsella

Sorry, Toliver is Tyler--Cable's Son.

Glendon J. Mellow

May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
Joe Sherman (joe...@norge.cs.washington.edu) wrote:
: In article <3q2964$d...@nic.umass.edu>, JWMI...@phobos.oit.umass.edu

I won't presume to speak for Jacob, [who could? :) ], but I
think his opinion about Scott Summers is shared by more than a few
people. I also would not like to see Scott Summers toting a huge gun,
sporting a nipple ring, or maliciously stealing Jean's Eggo Waffle.
But stories about the burden of leadership that weighs so heavily on
Scott Summers are old hat. I realize he is popular. Howvever, a
great many other characters deserve in-depth stories more than once a
year. Finally, someone has listened at Marvel, and they are giving
Bobby Drake more time in the spotlight.
I personally would prefer to see a story detailing Storm's
strength of mind and her leadership capabilities. It seems that more
and more in recent years, when Scott and Xavier are around, she plays
grunt soldier to their commands. Whatever happened to the woman who
kicked Cyke's tail in ish #201? Not only that, she formerly ran the
school, and led the X-Men without Xavier for years. Now in stories
like X-Men Unlimited #1, she is just another X-Man, whereas Scott is
the end-all combat leader. Personally, I find most of his stories a
little dry, and it has nothing to do with the "mature" role some
ascribe to him in comparison with characters like Bishop or Wolverine.
I think it is because his life has been detailed so much, I would like
to see someone else play an important role, perhaps someone challenge
him for leadership again, or at leats have him lead, but without the
writers making such a fuss over it.
Yeah, he is good at it.
So good at it in fact, that I really don't want to hear about
it anymore.

Perhaps, on another level, I don't like him for what he did to
Maddie for Jean so long ago. Their family dominates the Xbooks, thats
for certain, but also, I really paid attention to what he did to
Maddie in X-Factor number One. Lots of people my age [21] have seen
their father's take off, I know I did, and somehow, the whole run up
to about X-Factor #30 or so, he went nearly crazy being so absorbed in
who he was in love with and delaying his search for his wife, I saw
the guy as a great Fearless Leader in combat, and outside of that, an
Absolute Jerk.
Anyway, don't thake this as a flame or anything, I know Scott
*is* popular with a lot of people and I wouldn"t want him to change into
an Image-esque character either. Certainly he can be interesting. But
I think a lot of people would like to focus on other characters more
often.

---Mellow

Andy Jones

May 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/29/95
In article <3qahak$3...@sunburst.ccs.yorku.ca>, yku0...@afep.yorku.ca
(Glendon J. Mellow) wrote:
Suddenly, more than anything else in this world, I want to see Scott stel
jean's Eggo Waffle. I don't know why, and I can't explain the reasons
behind it, except that I want to see it badly. Scott steals Jean's Eggo,
Jean yanks it from him telekinetically and says, "Leggo my Eggo". Perfect.

--
Andy

Creator/Main Evangelist: alt.comics.fan-fiction
Keeper of the Magik flame, Emperor of the Magik Fan Club
Magik Fan Club's Motto: Teenage Mutant Time Travelling Dimensional Teleporting Demonic Sorceresses Don't Die!

BTWilders

May 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/29/95
won't lurk and let this pass by untouched. Scott Summers is (well, Scott
AND Jean Grey) is the reason I've stayed with the X-Men since the original
"Death of Professor X" in (Uncanny) X-Men $42.

>>obably many of you would prefer that Scott wear a nipple ring and

tote a huge gun, talk bad and scare the hell out of people. I don't.

If Scott ever leaves the books, becomes a cyborg, grows claws,
is revealed to be a clone, or meets with any other major revision or
retcon, that's when I leave after 25+ years with the guy.

But then the X-Men for me would be like any other team . . . like
Sovereign Seven, for example.<<

Thank you!! I haven't been reading X-men that long (wasn't old enough to
read then) But the only reason I ever picked up an X-Book was because of
the read haried girl in a book named X-Factor. I used to watch the
cartoon "Spider Man and His Amazing Friends" and I loved Firestar, so when
I saw the read head I naturally thought it was her, I read the book and
found out it wasn't, but I was already fascinated by this telekenetic
girl. After many back issues and the untangling of the Phoenix Saga, I
finnaly found out who the red head REALLY was, Jean Grey. And I love her
and Scott together, that's why I followed them from X-Factor to the X-Men
and Uncanny X-Men. If they leave I'm gone iwth you.!

BTWilders

Nigel

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
On 25 May 1995 18:36:29 GMT, glab wrote:
: >-- fabian

Mr. Sinister is Tolliver. SNIPT.

: Zach Kinsella

Wasn't it established in the Deadpool LS and ensuing issues of Cable
that Tolliver was Nathan's son Tyler. Why would Sinister even bother with a
disguise when he is without doubt one of the strongest and smartest "villans"
in the X-men's part of the marvel universe?
--

Nige.

"There is no such thing as a vorpal bunny I tell you, the sage is
demented. .....Ummm, guys, has anyone seen where my leg went?"