Barney & Clyde debuts

D.D.Degg

Jun 7, 2010, 8:07:45 AM6/7/10
The new comic strip "Barney & Clyde"
by Gene and Dan Weingerten & David Clark
debuted today (June 7).

Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.
http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/

More information about the strip and the creators at
http://www.postwritersgroup.com/comics/bcl2.htm

The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
have signed up to carry the strip.

An interview with Gene Weingarten from a few days ago at
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/the_riffs_interview_gene_weing.html

D.D.Degg

Alexander Mitchell

Jun 7, 2010, 9:07:23 AM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 8:07 am, "D.D.Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> The new comic strip "Barney & Clyde"
> by Gene and Dan Weingerten & David Clark
> debuted today (June 7).
>
> Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/
>
> More information about the strip and the creators athttp://www.postwritersgroup.com/comics/bcl2.htm

> The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
> have signed up to carry the strip.
>
> An interview with Gene Weingarten from a few days ago athttp://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/the_riffs_interv...
>
> D.D.Degg

The "money" quote:

"As the oft-cheeky Gene says now: 'People like me, who presume to
critique comic strips, are anuses.' "

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 7, 2010, 9:48:03 AM6/7/10
In article
<f1601737-3933-4d17...@6g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
"D.D.Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.
> http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/

In the GIGANTIC panel format, at least at the current time (circa 6:45
A.M. Pacific) -- much bigger than anything else on comics.com.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Ted Goldblatt

Jun 7, 2010, 10:12:49 AM6/7/10
On 6/7/2010 8:07 AM, D.D.Degg wrote:
> The new comic strip "Barney& Clyde"
> by Gene and Dan Weingerten& David Clark

> debuted today (June 7).
>
> Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.
> http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/
>
> More information about the strip and the creators at
> http://www.postwritersgroup.com/comics/bcl2.htm
>
> The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
> have signed up to carry the strip.
>
> An interview with Gene Weingarten from a few days ago at
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/the_riffs_interview_gene_weing.html
>
> D.D.Degg

Interesting - as I indicated in another thread, I was aware that the
Herald was picking this up as a debut strip (unusual for them,
considering how little they seem to care about their comic page).
However, I didn't realize that the _only_ papers that had picked it up
so far are the WaPo (its "home") and the Herald.

I wonder if the Herald got it just because of their past connection with
Weingarten and the fact that he retains a level of connection - he is
involved in the annual Herald Hunt (formerly the Tropic Hunt) and is
friends with Dave Barry (who I believe is still (at some level) on staff
there even though he now longer does weekly columns (he does do
occasional pieces)), Carl Hiaasen and probably other senior types, etc.

ted

Alexander Mitchell

Jun 7, 2010, 10:55:16 AM6/7/10
On Jun 7, 10:12 am, Ted Goldblatt <ted.goldbl...@att.net> wrote:
> On 6/7/2010 8:07 AM, D.D.Degg wrote:
>

> > The new comic strip "Barney&  Clyde"
> > by Gene and Dan Weingerten&  David Clark
> > debuted today (June 7).
>
> > Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.
> >http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/
>
> > More information about the strip and the creators at
> >http://www.postwritersgroup.com/comics/bcl2.htm
>
> > The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
> > have signed up to carry the strip.
>
> > An interview with Gene Weingarten from a few days ago at
> >http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/the_riffs_interv...

> > D.D.Degg
>
> Interesting - as I indicated in another thread, I was aware that the
> Herald was picking this up as a debut strip (unusual for them,
> considering how little they seem to care about their comic page).
> However, I didn't realize that the _only_ papers that had picked it up
> so far are the WaPo (its "home") and the Herald.
>
> I wonder if the Herald got it just because of their past connection with
> Weingarten and the fact that he retains a level of connection - he is
> involved in the annual Herald Hunt (formerly the Tropic Hunt) and is
> friends with Dave Barry (who I believe is still (at some level) on staff
> there even though he now longer does weekly columns (he does do
> occasional pieces)), Carl Hiaasen and probably other senior types, etc.
>
> ted

My personal theory is that he has something with which he can
blackmail the staff at said papers.

The other question: since Papa Weingarten has demonstrated, through
his writings and online chats, to be somewhere to the left of Obama &
Co. and Bill Maher and maybe a bit to the right of Stalin, given the
subject matter of this strip, will it actually focus on humor and
character development, or eventually drift towards being an
overbearing polemic screed?

Horace LaBadie

Jun 7, 2010, 11:09:14 AM6/7/10

D.D.Degg

Jun 7, 2010, 8:20:45 PM6/7/10
Ted Goldblatt wrote:

> D.D.Degg wrote:
> > The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
> > have signed up to carry the strip.
> However, I didn't realize that the _only_ papers that had picked it up
> so far are the WaPo (its "home") and the Herald.

The Wall Street Journal is saying that the ChiTrib also picked it up.
"And the strip is being launched in three big papers:
the Washington Post, the Miami Herald and the Chicago Tribune."
http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/06/07/comic-relief-the-billionaire-and-the-homeless-guy/

Those would be major papers.
I would guess that at least a few mid- and small-sized
papers have picked it up, though I have no confirmation.

D.D.Degg

Horace LaBadie

Jun 7, 2010, 8:30:32 PM6/7/10
In article
<17fcaa87-6641-42a4...@t26g2000prt.googlegroups.com>,
"D.D.Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:

Those are the three to date. The Sunday strips count as separate
pick-ups, so technically, there are six.

Horace LaBadie

Jun 9, 2010, 1:11:43 PM6/9/10
In article
<1b39203a-05d7-487b...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Alexander Mitchell <LNER...@juno.com> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 10:12�am, Ted Goldblatt <ted.goldbl...@att.net> wrote:
> > On 6/7/2010 8:07 AM, D.D.Degg wrote:
> >

> > > The new comic strip "Barney& �Clyde"
> > > by Gene and Dan Weingerten& �David Clark
> > > debuted today (June 7).
> >
> > > Comics.com is carrying it in the panel format.
> > >http://comics.com/barney&clyde/2010-06-07/
> >
> > > More information about the strip and the creators at
> > >http://www.postwritersgroup.com/comics/bcl2.htm
> >
> > > The Washington Post and the Miami Herald
> > > have signed up to carry the strip.
> >
> > > An interview with Gene Weingarten from a few days ago at

> > >http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/the riffs interv...

> > > D.D.Degg
> >
> > Interesting - as I indicated in another thread, I was aware that the
> > Herald was picking this up as a debut strip (unusual for them,
> > considering how little they seem to care about their comic page).

> > However, I didn't realize that the only papers that had picked it up

> > so far are the WaPo (its "home") and the Herald.
> >
> > I wonder if the Herald got it just because of their past connection with
> > Weingarten and the fact that he retains a level of connection - he is
> > involved in the annual Herald Hunt (formerly the Tropic Hunt) and is
> > friends with Dave Barry (who I believe is still (at some level) on staff
> > there even though he now longer does weekly columns (he does do
> > occasional pieces)), Carl Hiaasen and probably other senior types, etc.
> >
> > ted
>
> My personal theory is that he has something with which he can
> blackmail the staff at said papers.
>
> The other question: since Papa Weingarten has demonstrated, through
> his writings and online chats, to be somewhere to the left of Obama &
> Co. and Bill Maher and maybe a bit to the right of Stalin, given the
> subject matter of this strip, will it actually focus on humor and
> character development, or eventually drift towards being an
> overbearing polemic screed?

Gene Weingarten responds:

<http://barneyandclydeappreciation.blogspot.com/2010/06/gene-assesses-fir
st-reports-from-front.html>

Scroll to the bottom of that posting. Also, note the YouTube link to the
Miami Herald video.

trnco...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2010, 10:13:36 PM6/9/10
And now for the official breaking open of the sixpack of whup-
r.a.c.s. :

June 7: Panel 1: Aside from the barely noticeable rip in the pants and
the stubble in panel 2, what evidence does Barney have that Clyde's
homeless? Unless he's a Jedi who's *really* down on his luck, how does
Clyde know what Barney thinks about him?

Panel 2: Why is Clyde acting like a beggar if he intends to
give Barney money?

Panel 3: Who holds money the way Clyde does? And who
wouldn't say "no thanks" and just keep walking?

Panel 4: 1986 called, and it wants its crack reference
back--how's about meth or plain old booze?

June 8: Barney assumed Clyde is homeless, Clyde *is* homeless, so the
felony Clyde is punishing him for is. . .being an astute observer of
his fellow man?

June 9: A): "I know what 'guilty' means, Ms. Foxx--as a cartoon cliche
billionaire CEO, I'm a sociopath, not illiterate."

B): "Ms. Foxx"?, "Mr. Pillsbury"? "Mad Men" called, and it
wants its stuffy workplace formality back.

[Sarcasm called, and it wants its things-calling-and-wanting-their-
obsolete-things-back thing back--ed.]

June 10 [hopefully]: Panel 1: Barney: Hi, Clyde! My name's Barney! I'm
a captain of industry!

Panel 2: Clyde: Hi, Barney! My name's
Clyde! I'm homeless!

Panel 3: Barney: How's about I give you a
job?

Clyde: That'd be great!
Thanks!

Panel 4: Entire cast of strip waves
goodbye to the readers under banner reading "THE END!"; creators'
signatures say, "Thanks for reading!"