2nd Chances

1 view

gwayner

Dec 1, 2007, 3:57:15 PM12/1/07
Does anyone know where I can any of the now defunk Second Chances? I've
searched everywhere I can find with no luck.

D. D. Degg

Dec 1, 2007, 7:10:36 PM12/1/07
gwayner wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can any of the now defunk Second Chances? I've
> searched everywhere I can find with no luck.

This gentleman here
http://calliaume.livejournal.com/352935.html
will direct you to the last two years
(September 1998 - September 2000)
of the strip at the Houston Chronicle site here
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Second_Chances

D.D.Degg

Boyd Nation

Dec 2, 2007, 11:25:28 PM12/2/07

This brings up another interesting question (which might belong in the FAQ
if anyone has an answer). Since there's no trace of the strip on the
current Chron page and the only way that I know of to get back to it is
by happening to know the exact "Second_Chances" name that they used in the
URL, does anyone happen to know the canonical name that they used for any
other discontinued strips? If no one has any ideas, I might be able to
find a few by trial and error, but it would be good if anyone had some old
bookmarks laying around, or if someone like J. D. Baldwin that has done
programmatic retrieval stuff had saved old URL's.

--
Boyd Nation
boyd....@mindspring.com

D. D. Degg

Dec 3, 2007, 7:41:58 AM12/3/07
Boyd Nation wrote:
> ...does anyone happen to know the canonical name that they used for any
> other discontinued strips?

Charles Brubaker dug up the SuperZeroes strip a while back.
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2000/1/7&name=SuperZeros&week=1

D.D.Degg

Nick Theodorakis

Dec 3, 2007, 2:54:35 PM12/3/07
On Dec 2, 11:25 pm, Boyd Nation <b...@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:10:36 -0800 (PST), D. D. Degg <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > gwayner wrote:
> >> Does anyone know where I can any of the now defunk Second Chances? I've
> >> searched everywhere I can find with no luck.
> > This gentleman here
> >http://calliaume.livejournal.com/352935.html
> > will direct you to the last two years
> > (September 1998 - September 2000)
> > of the strip at the Houston Chronicle site here
> >http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&...

> This brings up another interesting question (which might belong in the FAQ
> if anyone has an answer). Since there's no trace of the strip on the
> current Chron page and the only way that I know of to get back to it is
> by happening to know the exact "Second_Chances" name that they used in the
> URL, does anyone happen to know the canonical name that they used for any
> other discontinued strips? If no one has any ideas, I might be able to
> find a few by trial and error, but it would be good if anyone had some old
> bookmarks laying around, or if someone like J. D. Baldwin that has done
> programmatic retrieval stuff had saved old URL's.
>
> --
> Boyd Nation
> boyd.nat...@mindspring.com

You can use the internet archive wayback machine. This is the earliest
archived page of the Chron comics page:

<http://web.archive.org/web/19990302044917/www.chron.com/content/
comics/>

(watch the wrap)

You can get the name used in the url by examing the status bar upon
hovering over the link.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

Boyd Nation

Dec 4, 2007, 10:35:50 AM12/4/07
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:54:35 -0800 (PST), Nick Theodorakis <nick_the...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 11:25 pm, Boyd Nation <b...@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>> This brings up another interesting question (which might belong in the FAQ
>> if anyone has an answer). Since there's no trace of the strip on the
>> current Chron page and the only way that I know of to get back to it is
>> by happening to know the exact "Second_Chances" name that they used in the
>> URL, does anyone happen to know the canonical name that they used for any
>> other discontinued strips? If no one has any ideas, I might be able to
>> find a few by trial and error, but it would be good if anyone had some old
>> bookmarks laying around, or if someone like J. D. Baldwin that has done
>> programmatic retrieval stuff had saved old URL's.

> You can use the internet archive wayback machine. This is the earliest

> archived page of the Chron comics page:
>
><http://web.archive.org/web/19990302044917/www.chron.com/content/
> comics/>
>
> (watch the wrap)
>
> You can get the name used in the url by examing the status bar upon
> hovering over the link.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping someone else had already done the work. Since
they apparently hadn't, here's what I was able to find with a little poking
and scripting. All of these are strips that are in the archives and are
not in the black-and-white section of the Chron page now. Interestingly,
the archives go back farther on several of them than archive.org shows
them as showing up on the page.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2001/10/1&week=1&name=Big_Picture
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Bizarro
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Charlie
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2000/4/17&week=1&name=Claire
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Committed
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Crankshaft
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Foxtrot
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Geech
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Kudzu
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Liberty_Meadows
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Miss_Peach
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Mother_Goose
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Raw_Material
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Robotman
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Second_Chances
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2001/3/26&week=1&name=Shirley_%26_Son
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2000/1/7&week=1&name=SuperZeros
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=That's_Jake
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1999/4/12&week=1&name=Zorro

--
Boyd Nation
boyd....@mindspring.com

Nick Theodorakis

Dec 4, 2007, 8:47:33 PM12/4/07
Boyd Nation wrote:

> Yeah, I was kind of hoping someone else had already done the work. Since
> they apparently hadn't, here's what I was able to find with a little poking
> and scripting. All of these are strips that are in the archives and are
> not in the black-and-white section of the Chron page now. Interestingly,
> the archives go back farther on several of them than archive.org shows
> them as showing up on the page.

The internet archive can only show what has been indexed the archiving
robot.

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Bizarro

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Crankshaft

Bizarro and Crankshaft are still on the chron, but now in the "colored
section."

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Foxtrot

Semi-retired (Sunday only)

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Liberty_Meadows

Also retired.

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=1998/9/28&week=1&name=Mother_Goose

Also now in colored section.

I'm always amazed at what the chron leaves in their unofficial, hidden
archive. They must have seen hits on them if they ever examine their
logs. I guessing they know and just don't care.