Dilbert is gone!!!!

1 view

Scott McIntyre

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
I logged on today, went to get my daily dilbert on clarinet, and I found
out it was GONE! Seems that now they will only have dilbert on the web,
and that the only way that you can see the cartoons is with a graphical
browser!

I have nothing against graphics, but that requires a good network hookup
and that is not something I have. I used to be able to easily get
dilbert using a dial-up connection, but at the moment it is not possible!!
Something must be done about this miscarriage of justice.

If you care about the lowly computer user, we must complain!
Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
against the invasion of the web.

David Farley

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
>I logged on today, went to get my daily dilbert on clarinet, and I found
>out it was GONE! Seems that now they will only have dilbert on the web,
>and that the only way that you can see the cartoons is with a graphical
>browser!

You don't really need a graphical browser, you just need something that
will fetch the inline image directly. Try

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/todays_dilbert.gif

All that aside, there's plenty of other neat things to see on the Dilbert
page and the rest of United's server. I wonder what else they might have
up their sleeve...

David

Eric Roode

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
In article <3lk74g$8...@er6.rutgers.edu>,

Scott McIntyre <smci...@eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>I logged on today, went to get my daily dilbert on clarinet, and I found
>out it was GONE! Seems that now they will only have dilbert on the web,
>[...]

>Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
>against the invasion of the web.

I wouldn't go THAT far, but it does suck.
I am one of the few (I know it's a minority) who doesn't have
cheap, graphical interface to the Net. I live in a rural area, and
the cheapest way to get Internet access is a long-distance phone
call, which by the way has a per-kilobyte charge.
It ain't cheap, and every byte of overhead costs me bux.

United Features, please forgive me for being such a hick. :-P

--
----
Eric

"If anyone finds this offensive, I am prepared not only to retract my
words, but also to deny under oath that I ever said them." -- Tom Lehrer
----

Eugene Mah

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
David Farley <dg...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
->smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
->>I logged on today, went to get my daily dilbert on clarinet, and I found
->>out it was GONE! Seems that now they will only have dilbert on the web,
->>and that the only way that you can see the cartoons is with a graphical
->>browser!
->>
->
->You don't really need a graphical browser, you just need something that
->will fetch the inline image directly. Try
->
->http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/todays_dilbert.gif
->

Ya, but todays_dilbert.gif is like a week old or something like that.

Eugene
---
Eugene Mah eug...@raddi.uah.ualberta.ca (NeXTmail)
Grad Student/Sys Admin "For I am a Bear of Very Little
Department of Radiology Brain, and long words bother
University of Alberta Hospitals me." Winnie the Pooh
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Eugene Mah eug...@raddi.uah.ualberta.ca (NeXTmail)
Grad Student/Sys Admin "For I am a Bear of Very Little
Department of Radiology Brain, and long words bother
University of Alberta Hospitals me." Winnie the Pooh
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Donald Quick

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
Scott McIntyre (smci...@eden.rutgers.edu) wrote:
: I logged on today, went to get my daily dilbert on clarinet, and I found
: out it was GONE! Seems that now they will only have dilbert on the web,
: and that the only way that you can see the cartoons is with a graphical
: browser!

I my be old fashion, but I found Dilbert where it usually is, on the comic
page of my local paper. I also used my built-in graphical browser!!!

:-)

--
Don Quick
do...@lamar.colostate.edu

hath...@stsci.edu

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
In article <D6E2y...@mv.mv.com>, s...@mv.mv.com (Eric Roode) writes:
.

> I wouldn't go THAT far, but it does suck.
> I am one of the few (I know it's a minority) who doesn't have
> cheap, graphical interface to the Net. I live in a rural area, and
> the cheapest way to get Internet access is a long-distance phone
> call, which by the way has a per-kilobyte charge.
> It ain't cheap, and every byte of overhead costs me bux.
>
> United Features, please forgive me for being such a hick. :-P

Uh oh - I'm typing this on a VT320 (emulating a VT100 I think.)
Graphical capability? Yeah right. In our dreams. And I'm in a city.
When I see notices of Web pages I just pass 'em by.
Well back to the spacecraft.... (not really - I'm only doing
testing of new ground software this month. At least I'm not using
the Xerox Sigma-5 anymore to fly a spaceship - it's someone else's turn
on that antique.)

Wm. H.
Baltimore MD

Ron Asbestos Dippold

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
Those of you without graphics capabilities should really check out
Lynx... it's a great Web browser that runs nicely in text (VT100)
mode. You can't see the graphics, but everything works, and you can
download them to your machine for later viewing on a home PC or
something like that. It's what I used to do pre-OS/2.

Lynx can currently be obtained by anonymous ftp from ftp2.cc.ukans.edu
in the pub/lynx directory.
--
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always
worked for me.

Neil Polowin

Apr 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/4/95
smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
>Something must be done about this miscarriage of justice.
>
>If you care about the lowly computer user, we must complain!
>Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
>against the invasion of the web.

You could always just buy a newspaper.

Remember, nothing is free, not even on the Web. I'm assuming that United
Media and Scott Adams decided that the licensing fees from ClariNet weren't
enough to justify the continued use of the ClariNet feeds. Placing Dilbert and
other comic strips on the Web is all about promotion - to get people to call their
local newspapers to request they carry a given strip, to promote the sale of
compilations and other merchandise, and generally to increase the awareness
of the strip in question.

John Switzer

Apr 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/4/95

Yeah, but I'm looking for ways to avoid buying the daily paper, with its
sloppy reporting, poor writing, and its verbatim printing of wire
service copy. So far I can get the wire services myself over the net and
CompuServe, and for the comics I can always bum a paper at work from one of
the recycling bins OR wait until the compilations come out in book form.

The newspaper is slowly being replaced by other services, and it's only
going to hurt syndicators who think they can ignore it. Hopefully once
the web develops a bit more security, there'll be ways these guys
can distribute their wares electronically to paying customers.
--
John Switzer | "Perhaps Mr. Royko would be more at home in
| Cuba, where Fidel is a big promoter and subsidizer
CompuServe: 74076,1250 | of beef. There consumers do not enjoy freedom."
Internet: j...@best.com | --angry vegetarian to meat-eater Mike Royko

Eric Roode

Apr 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/4/95
In article <D6Hs9...@news.magi.com>, Neil Polowin <pol...@magi.com> wrote:

>smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
>>
>>If you care about the lowly computer user, we must complain!
>>Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
>>against the invasion of the web.
>
>You could always just buy a newspaper.

No, you can't "always" just buy a paper. Not when you live in
the middle of nowhere (say, New Hampshire), and the Internet is
your only connection to civilization. [Scary thought, eh? :-) ]

YOUSUFI UMAIR

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article <kremeD6...@netcom.com>,
Cerebus The Aardvark <kr...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Thank you. I subscribe to the trash heap that is the Denver Post on
>Sunday's JUST for Dilbert. I'm not about to wade through the damn rag evey
>single day, especially when there is nothing esle of quality on their comics
>page (though I've heard good things about Chickweed Lane, I haven't been
>reading it.)

Tragic. No person should have to suffer from the Denver Post's _awful_
comics page. I mean, for crying out loud, ***they don't even have Calvin
and Hobbes***. Personally, I think no newspaper should be allowed to have a
comics page without Calvin and Hobbes.

I was starting to think that the staff there had forgotten they even
*have* a comics page, when all of a sudden they run right out and get
Terry and the Pirates. C'mon, when a paper doesn't have C&H, some kind of
freeze should be placed on getting anything else until they DO get C&H...

Instead many in Colorado have to suffer with comics the quality of
Suburban Cowgirls (never funny), Tiger (same), and Thatch (same)--(IMO of
course). Unless they change these comics (never going to happen--Anyone
have any ideas how I could persuade them???), I'm just gonna have to go
back to the Colorado Springs GT.

Sorry, this is just a rant I've been to meaning to tell someone since I
got the Denver Post. I know this isn't relavant to 99.9% of you net
readers, but I know sure some of you can sympathize with having to suffer
from a truly pathetic comics page...

I WANT MY C&H!!!

umair

>I may have to give up my Dilbert fix on a regular basis... have my Mom
>archive them for me or somthing.

Cerebus The Aardvark

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
pol...@magi.com (Neil Polowin) writes:

>smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
>>Something must be done about this miscarriage of justice.
>>

>>If you care about the lowly computer user, we must complain!
>>Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
>>against the invasion of the web.

>You could always just buy a newspaper.

Thank you. I subscribe to the trash heap that is the Denver Post on

Sunday's JUST for Dilbert. I'm not about to wade through the damn rag evey
single day, especially when there is nothing esle of quality on their comics
page (though I've heard good things about Chickweed Lane, I haven't been
reading it.)

I may have to give up my Dilbert fix on a regular basis... have my Mom

archive them for me or somthing.

--
| kr...@netcom.com \ 1015 South Gaylord, Denver, CO 80209 #100 |
| PGP Fingerprint \ 1D 5E F7 C8 7E C2 F9 87 0F 86 C9 B0 D2 63 9C B2 |

Barry L. Gingrich

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lukia$a...@CUBoulder.Colorado.EDU>,

YOUSUFI UMAIR <you...@ucsub.Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>Tragic. No person should have to suffer from the Denver Post's _awful_
>comics page. I mean, for crying out loud, ***they don't even have Calvin
>and Hobbes***. Personally, I think no newspaper should be allowed to have a
>comics page without Calvin and Hobbes.

Well, I think that's because the Rocky Mountain News has Calvin & Hobbes,
and there's some agreement between the paper and the publisher of the
strip that keeps it from showing up in more than one paper in a town.
If you really want C&H, you can buy the Rocky (tho I think it's even
worse than the Post), or you can buy the Boulder Camera, which also has
Dilbert. The Post does have Sherman's Lagoon, Dilbert, and Cafe Angst,
so it's not such a terrible couple of pages.

(Check out Cafe Angst at http://plaza.xor.com/wtbr/cafe/index.html and
beg your local paper to buy it. Look for Where the Buffalo Roam there, too.)

The Colorado Daily (free, and cheap at twice the price) has "Robotman",
Toles' editorial cartoons, Zippy, and USS Utopia (local), and the
ever-wonderful Ozone Patrol. If you're at CU Boulder, it should be
pretty easy to find the strippage you crave...
--
- Barry L. Gingrich
bgin...@nyx10.cs.du.edu

Jim Ellwanger

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lukia$a...@CUBoulder.Colorado.EDU>, you...@ucsub.Colorado.EDU
(YOUSUFI UMAIR) wrote:

> Tragic. No person should have to suffer from the Denver Post's _awful_
> comics page. I mean, for crying out loud, ***they don't even have Calvin
> and Hobbes***. Personally, I think no newspaper should be allowed to have a
> comics page without Calvin and Hobbes.

[rest of rant deleted]

Have you tried looking for "Calvin & Hobbes" in the Rocky Mountain News?
--
Jim Ellwanger (trai...@nwu.edu)
"It pays to have a back-up system in place when you're protecting something extremely precious...like TV reception."

Jeff Sypeck

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <3lsmsf$e...@shell1.best.com>, John Switzer <j...@best.com> wrote:

>Yeah, but I'm looking for ways to avoid buying the daily paper, with its
>sloppy reporting, poor writing, and its verbatim printing of wire
>service copy. So far I can get the wire services myself over the net and
>CompuServe, and for the comics I can always bum a paper at work from one of
>the recycling bins OR wait until the compilations come out in book form.
>
>The newspaper is slowly being replaced by other services, and it's only
>going to hurt syndicators who think they can ignore it. Hopefully once
>the web develops a bit more security, there'll be ways these guys
>can distribute their wares electronically to paying customers.
>--
>John Switzer

I think you're right about poorly-written journalism and reprints of
wire service articles, John, at least in small, provincial
newspapers...but some of us don't *want* everything to come in over our
computers. I spend enough time in front of a computer as it is, at home
and at the office, and I like being able to tuck my newspaper under my arm
and read it on the subway on the way to work. I like being able to flip
from section to section, ignoring articles, pictures, ads, and other text
which doesn't interest me. I can fold the paper into a little square and
do the crossword puzzle, or I can read an entire comics page, skipping
over the individual comics which I don't find at all amusing.

I'm not so sure newspapers are being "replaced"; at least, I sure
hope not. Being able to view the funnies on-line is a pleasant enough
gimmick, but I'd rather be able to clip something funny out of the paper
and stick it on my 'fridge or office door, and watch it turn yellow over
time. I think all this talk of "paperless offices" and the (I apologize)
"information superhighway" leads people to believe that newspapers and
magazines are the thing of the past...which is hardly true. What's the
first thing academics and law students do after using some of the larger
media databases? They make humungous printouts of the dozens and dozens
of articles they need to read. The movement of my eyes across a page,
and the freedom to turn the page, and even lie on the floor to read, are
all (to me) infinitely preferable to the restrictive and roundabout
interfaces which claim to be "replacements" for printed material.

Jeff

Craig Williamson

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95

>==========John Switzer, 4/4/95==========
>
>In article <D6Hs9...@news.magi.com> pol...@magi.com (Neil Polowin)
>writes:
>>smci...@eden.rutgers.edu (Scott McIntyre) wrote:
>>>Something must be done about this miscarriage of justice.
>>>
>>>If you care about the lowly computer user, we must complain!
>>>Send mail to "sh...@unitedmedia.com" and complain. We MUST fight back
>>>against the invasion of the web.
>>
>>You could always just buy a newspaper.
>>
>>Remember, nothing is free, not even on the Web. I'm assuming that United
>>Media and Scott Adams decided that the licensing fees from ClariNet weren't
>>enough to justify the continued use of the ClariNet feeds. Placing Dilbert
and
>>other comic strips on the Web is all about promotion - to get people to call

>their
>>local newspapers to request they carry a given strip, to promote the sale
of
>>compilations and other merchandise, and generally to increase the awareness
>>of the strip in question.
>

>Yeah, but I'm looking for ways to avoid buying the daily paper, with its
>sloppy reporting, poor writing, and its verbatim printing of wire
>service copy. So far I can get the wire services myself over the net and
>CompuServe, and for the comics I can always bum a paper at work from one of
>the recycling bins OR wait until the compilations come out in book form.
>
>The newspaper is slowly being replaced by other services, and it's only
>going to hurt syndicators who think they can ignore it. Hopefully once
>the web develops a bit more security, there'll be ways these guys
>can distribute their wares electronically to paying customers.

Well until I install a terminal in my bathroom I am still going to want to
read my comics from the paper. :-)

Craig

AT&T Global Information Solutions
Craig Williamson