DD Degg Alert: Comics Changes at S.R. Press Democrat

Beefies

Jan 21, 2008, 2:29:15 PM1/21/08
Doing my small part to help the comics completist's completist keep his
records up to date. Major overhaul of the comics section of the Santa Rosa
(Calif.) Press Democrat comics section effective Sunday, Jan. 20:

Sunday comics section has been reduced from six pages to four, citing the
cost of newsprint. In a note to readers, editors said they were taking the
opportunity to make some changes.

Sundays:
In--Pearls Before Swine, Pickles
Out--Luann, Sherman's Lagoon, Flying McCoys, Prickly City, Sally Forth,
Cathy, Candorville, Elderberries, Prince Valiant
Unchanged--Zits, FBOFW, Classic Peanuts, Dilbert, Baby Blues, Fusco
Brothers, Opus, Non Sequitur, Hagar the Horrible, Rex Morgan, Doonesbury,
Garfield, Family Circus, Comics for Kids (Slylock Fox), Beakman & Jax
(science feature), Eggers (by Lori Lee Landi).

Daily:
In--Bliss, Pearls Before Swine, Baby Blues, Cul De Sac, Mutts, Pickles.
Out--Elderberries, Prickly City, Cathy, Candorville, Sally Forth
Unchanged--Family Circus, Bizarro, Flying McCoys, Zits, FBOFW, Doonesbury,
Non Sequitur, Garfield, Luann, Dilbert, Hagar, Blondie, Fusco Brothers, Rex
Morgan

Observations: Baby Blues was added daily after running Sundays-only for
quite a while. Non Sequitur dailies are now running in their strip rather
than panel format (nifty strategy of Wiley's). Cathy, Prickly City, Sally
Forth, Elderberries, and Candorville were cut from both.

Brian F.
momscancer.com
momscancer.blogspot.com

D. D. Degg

Jan 21, 2008, 8:09:52 PM1/21/08
Beefies wrote:

So that comes out to 4 or 5 comics per page, huh?
Well, I've seen much worse.

The major crime in my book is the people in your
fair city won't be seeing Prince Valiant anymore.

So let's see -
One adventure strip and it's cut.
One strip starring minorities, and it's cut.
One strip starring seniors, and it's cut.

Seems diversity ain't high on their list.

Also don't understand why they would cut Luann
and The Flying McCoys from one and not the other.
Just to aggravate the fans every Sunday when
they don't see those strips?

Thanks for the update Brian,
though it's a bit depressing.
Always less, less, less.
The San Francisco Chronicle recently made cuts in
their business section; basically telling the readers
that you can find the missing listings on the 'net.

Such a shame.

D.D.Degg

Beefies

Jan 21, 2008, 9:05:42 PM1/21/08
> The major crime in my book is the people in your
> fair city won't be seeing Prince Valiant anymore.

Yeah, Valiant hurts. I love that strip, and still remember when the S.F.
Chronicle tried to cut it many years ago (mid-1970s?) and finally had to
acquiesce to public demand, reinstating it and running a couple of pages of
missed episodes in black and white.

> So let's see -
> One adventure strip and it's cut.
> One strip starring minorities, and it's cut.
> One strip starring seniors, and it's cut.

Well, we swapped Elderberries for Pickles, so they probably figured that
covered the old folks. I'm not happy about Candorville, less because it was
"the minority strip" than my regard for Darrin. And Sally Forth was good,
darn it!

> Also don't understand why they would cut Luann
> and The Flying McCoys from one and not the other.
> Just to aggravate the fans every Sunday when
> they don't see those strips?

I bet it was just space. They had to get six Sunday pages down to four. At
least they did it without shrinking the remaining strips.

> Always less, less, less.

Y'know, I'll bet a newspaper could draw a lot of readers with a truly
kick-ass comics section: four pages daily, a thick tabloid on Sunday, maybe
some original content.... I'd buy that.

> The San Francisco Chronicle recently made cuts in
> their business section; basically telling the readers
> that you can find the missing listings on the 'net.

So it goes.....

Brian

racs...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2008, 6:01:38 AM1/22/08
On Jan 21, 8:09 pm, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The San Francisco Chronicle recently made cuts in
> their business section; basically telling the readers
> that you can find the missing listings on the 'net.

That one I'll defend -- running pages of stock prices 12 hours after
the markets close each day is a waste of newspaper space. Active
investors are already on line anyway. The only readers who have an
interest in day-old stock prices are retirees with some kind of local
stockholding from an employee purchase plan, or a mutual fund that
they don't often touch. They may enjoy looking at it on a daily basis,
but a small table of "stocks of local interest" and major mutuals
would scratch that itch.

Drop the listings and use the space for something more inviting to
more readers. Like comics.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

D. D. Degg

Jan 22, 2008, 7:42:38 AM1/22/08
Mike Peterson wrote:

> D. D. Degg wrote:
>
> > The San Francisco Chronicle recently made cuts in
> > their business section...
>
> That one I'll defend...

I suppose, but I was used to checking various
stocks and funds on an occasion, in between
the mailed statements. Not every day or even
every week, just whenever I felt the urge.
Now I can't do it when going through my daily
newspaper.
(I was down to the Chronicle as the last area
paper that carried all the listings I had an
interest in.)

The newspapers and the world is changing
and I don't like it, I tell ya!

D(ismayed) D(iscontented) Degg