Martha Stewart (Eek!)

Paige

Oct 9, 2007, 9:12:35 AM10/9/07
In October's issue of Martha Stewart Living, she creates a sparkly
skull centerpiece for Halloween:

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/columnists/20070928_Martha_Stewart___Give_Halloween_that_boo-tique_look.html

Today's Eek!:
http://www.gocomics.com/eek/2007/10/09/

:-)
Paige

Mike Beede

Oct 9, 2007, 11:19:24 AM10/9/07
In article <1191935555....@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
Paige <luana....@gmail.com> wrote:

It wasn't really clear to me: is that *really* Martha Stewart's column, or is
it a gag? If so, I wonder if the staffer that writes it will be employed
tomorrow or not? It seemed a little too tongue in cheek.

Mike Beede

Paige

Oct 9, 2007, 11:37:03 AM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 8:19 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <1191935555.498332.66...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

> Paige <luana.kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In October's issue of Martha Stewart Living, she creates a sparkly
> > skull centerpiece for Halloween:
>
> >http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/columnists/20070928_Martha...

> > Today's Eek!:
> >http://www.gocomics.com/eek/2007/10/09/
>
> It wasn't really clear to me: is that *really* Martha Stewart's column, or is
> it a gag? If so, I wonder if the staffer that writes it will be employed
> tomorrow or not? It seemed a little too tongue in cheek.
>
> Mike Beede

It's real. I was reading the magazine yesterday and she was "dead"
serious. Oy!

Paige

ronniecat

Oct 9, 2007, 11:53:41 AM10/9/07
Using a combination of the written word, ASL and interpretative dance,
on Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:19:24 -0500, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com>
wrote:

That's the real column. Stewart (or the editorial team as a whole) are
very playful about Halloween and the Halloween issues of the magazine
are very fun and tongue-in-cheek cover to cover (this in contrast to
for example Thanksgiving or Fourth-of-July issues which have a much
more serious tone).

Yep, I'm a subscriber. I don't remember how I first picked up a copy
of the magazine - possibly during a hospital stay - but I was amazed
to find out that those who mock her apparently don't read her. I've
been subscribing for four years now. What I like about it is that she
is not about the ridiculous over-the-top details that people joke
about - instead the focus is on back-to-basic skills that not a lot of
people learn at mom's elbow anymore (how to make biscuits, how to cook
a turkey, how to care for linens or pack china for a move so it
doesn't chip or bake a pie); and the fact that the decorating and
craft projects can have big impact but are all designed to be done in
a couple of hours. She knows her audience, all right.

She also has an in-depth article every issue on something collectible
- carnival glass, crocheted pieces, Bakelite, embroidered napkins,
1950s printed aprons, etc. that I'd probably buy the magazine for on
their own.

ronnie
--
"The very deaf, as I am, hear the most astounding things all
round them, which have not, in fact, been said." - Henry Green

Neil Robinson

Oct 9, 2007, 12:20:44 PM10/9/07
On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, ronniecat wrote:

> [Martha Stewart teaches] how to make biscuits, how to cook a turkey, how

> to care for linens or pack china for a move so it doesn't chip or bake a
> pie

I'd love to unpack in a new house and find a freshly-baked pie in with my
dishes!

Mark Jackson

Oct 9, 2007, 8:38:10 PM10/9/07

Seems time to trot out one of Ellen's old recipes, with serving suggestion:

http://alumni.caltech.edu/~mjackson/food.html#brain

Hanging out in bad bars waiting for sources to show up is a
time-honored tradition in journalism. - Douglas McCollam

mollificent

Oct 10, 2007, 2:11:09 AM10/10/07
On Oct 9, 8:19 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

> It wasn't really clear to me: is that *really* Martha Stewart's column, or is
> it a gag? If so, I wonder if the staffer that writes it will be employed
> tomorrow or not? It seemed a little too tongue in cheek.

If you REALLY want excellent Martha Stewart satire, find a book called
"Martha Stewart's (Better Than You At) Entertaining". The cover shows
"Martha" (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) walking toward you with a
plate of hors-d'oeuvres--across the swimming pool. ;) There are some
hilarious bits in there...for Easter she decorates Communion wafers
with little crosses made of caviar, and the Pope comes to visit and
(of course) kneels and kisses Martha's ring. Absofreakin'lutely
classic stuff. ;) I believe the same satirists did another parody
called "Is Martha Stewart Living?"

That being said, I will confess that I subscribe to Everyday Food
Magazine. *hanging my head in shame*

Jym Dyer

Oct 10, 2007, 10:18:51 PM10/10/07
> If you REALLY want excellent Martha Stewart satire, find a book
> called "Martha Stewart's (Better Than You At) Entertaining".

=v= "Martha Stuart." Presumably for legal reasons.
<_Jym_>

mollificent

Oct 11, 2007, 2:50:30 AM10/11/07

Right you are! I'd forgotten...it's been ages. Though even as I
typed that, I was thinking, "How'd they get away with that?" ;)

cryptoguy

Oct 11, 2007, 2:14:00 PM10/11/07
On Oct 9, 11:19 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <1191935555.498332.66...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Paige <luana.kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In October's issue of Martha Stewart Living, she creates a sparkly
> > skull centerpiece for Halloween:
>
> >http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/columnists/20070928_Martha...

> > Today's Eek!:
> >http://www.gocomics.com/eek/2007/10/09/
>
> It wasn't really clear to me: is that *really* Martha Stewart's column, or is
> it a gag? If so, I wonder if the staffer that writes it will be employed
> tomorrow or not? It seemed a little too tongue in cheek.
>
> Mike Beede

If Martha's a little too downmarket for you, you should try
the Damien Hirst version:

http://streetanatomy.com/blog/?p=95
(SFW)

Peter Trei

Scott Nickel

Oct 12, 2007, 10:50:49 AM10/12/07
On Oct 9, 9:12 am, Paige <luana.kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In October's issue of Martha Stewart Living, she creates a sparkly
> skull centerpiece for Halloween:
>
> http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/columnists/20070928_Martha...

> Today's Eek!:http://www.gocomics.com/eek/2007/10/09/
>
> :-)
> Paige

Paige,

That's hysterical! I never knew I was tapping into a home decor
trend! :)

Thanks for posting.

Scott

ronniecat

Oct 12, 2007, 2:44:16 PM10/12/07
Using a combination of the written word, ASL and interpretative dance,
on Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:20:44 -0500, Neil Robinson
<kn...@nos.pam.bitstream.net> wrote:

This made me lol :)