John Branch Back to School

Paige

Aug 17, 2006, 9:51:50 AM8/17/06
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/22488/

Loved this one. I've seen kids nowadays with back packs that look like
suitcases with rollers. Unbelievable!

On a related note, I read an article a couple of weeks ago about how
the size of school text books is increasing. These books are HUGE ...
800 pages or more!

Paige

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 17, 2006, 10:30:29 AM8/17/06

Ummm, this has been covered to *death* by other editorial
cartoonists, Zits, Funky Winkerbean, and just about everybody else
dealing with school-age kids . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

nickelshrink

Aug 17, 2006, 2:47:09 PM8/17/06

"Paige" <paige...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1155822710.3...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

I have, right here next to me, a stack of high school level
US history books published over a 120+ year period.
Admittedly, US history is not the ideal subject for book-size
comparison since about a third of it (its history as our nation)
had not even happened when the 1872 one was published.

But the increase in size has been disproportionate:

1872 - 1 lb, 1 oz. .... 7.5 x 5 inches

1941 - 2 lbs, 7 oz. ... 8.25 x 6.25 inches

1960 - 3 lbs, 3 oz. .... 9.5 x 8.5 inches

1991 - 5 lbs, 11 oz. ...10.25 x 8.25 inches

1998 - 6 lbs, 6 oz. .... 11 x 8.75 inches.

I mean, did nearly three-quarters of a pound of US history
occur between 1991 and 1998??

Cartoonists may be using this theme frequently, but it
ain't getting any better.

--
cheers!
ruth

--
Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

racs...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2006, 7:10:18 PM8/17/06

nickelshrink wrote:
> "Paige" <paige...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1155822710.3...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/22488/
> >
> > Loved this one. I've seen kids nowadays with back packs that look like
> > suitcases with rollers. Unbelievable!
> >
> > On a related note, I read an article a couple of weeks ago about how
> > the size of school text books is increasing. These books are HUGE ...
> > 800 pages or more!
> >
> > Paige
>
> I have, right here next to me, a stack of high school level
> US history books published over a 120+ year period.
> Admittedly, US history is not the ideal subject for book-size
> comparison since about a third of it (its history as our nation)
> had not even happened when the 1872 one was published.
>
> But the increase in size has been disproportionate:
>
> 1872 - 1 lb, 1 oz. .... 7.5 x 5 inches
>
> 1941 - 2 lbs, 7 oz. ... 8.25 x 6.25 inches
>
> 1960 - 3 lbs, 3 oz. .... 9.5 x 8.5 inches
>
> 1991 - 5 lbs, 11 oz. ...10.25 x 8.25 inches
>
> 1998 - 6 lbs, 6 oz. .... 11 x 8.75 inches.
>
> I mean, did nearly three-quarters of a pound of US history
> occur between 1991 and 1998??

The problem is not the amount of history but the politics of textbook
publishing. Everyone wants to add things they think the kids ought to
know, but nobody dares take anything out to make room for it.

It's a ridiculous amount of material that the kids can't possibly
absorb and, however absurd or intelligent the narrative thread
injected, the result is total incoherence.

Mike Peterson
Glens Falls NY

John Duncan Yoyo

Aug 18, 2006, 1:21:29 AM8/18/06
On 17 Aug 2006 16:10:18 -0700, "pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org"
<racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>nickelshrink wrote:
>> "Paige" <paige...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1155822710.3...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>> > http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm/22488/
>> >
>> > Loved this one. I've seen kids nowadays with back packs that look like
>> > suitcases with rollers. Unbelievable!
>> >
>> > On a related note, I read an article a couple of weeks ago about how
>> > the size of school text books is increasing. These books are HUGE ...
>> > 800 pages or more!
>> >
>> > Paige
>>
>> I have, right here next to me, a stack of high school level
>> US history books published over a 120+ year period.
>> Admittedly, US history is not the ideal subject for book-size
>> comparison since about a third of it (its history as our nation)
>> had not even happened when the 1872 one was published.
>>
>> But the increase in size has been disproportionate:
>>
>> 1872 - 1 lb, 1 oz. .... 7.5 x 5 inches
>>
>> 1941 - 2 lbs, 7 oz. ... 8.25 x 6.25 inches
>>
>> 1960 - 3 lbs, 3 oz. .... 9.5 x 8.5 inches
>>
>> 1991 - 5 lbs, 11 oz. ...10.25 x 8.25 inches
>>
>> 1998 - 6 lbs, 6 oz. .... 11 x 8.75 inches.

We had a two volume US History book back in the late seventies. One
for Tenth and one for Eleventh. The one for eleventh pretty much
stopped in the mid sixties but not really much was covered after WWII
in our classes. I think the teaching of history ends at the birth
year of the oldest parents in the community.

>> I mean, did nearly three-quarters of a pound of US history
>> occur between 1991 and 1998??

Didn't the original sources movement start in there. They may need to
include more raw texts for that.

>The problem is not the amount of history but the politics of textbook
>publishing. Everyone wants to add things they think the kids ought to
>know, but nobody dares take anything out to make room for it.
>
>It's a ridiculous amount of material that the kids can't possibly
>absorb and, however absurd or intelligent the narrative thread
>injected, the result is total incoherence.

Part of that is so different districts can stress what they want
without multiple text books
--
John Duncan Yoyo

HS WRand Om

Aug 18, 2006, 12:10:36 PM8/18/06

We really struggled this past school year (grade 6 ... wasn't a problem
for our second grader) to try and lighten our daughter's backpack but
her problem wasn't just textbooks. She had to have a binder to hold all
her schoolwork for the year that she had to carry back and forth to
school. Not too bad at first but really became a problem towards the end
of the year.