Cast of _Maintaining_ has never looked at squirrels (28 June)

Joseph Nebus

Jun 28, 2012, 3:19:37 AM6/28/12

I'd think one red, one black, and one grey squirrel would
suffice to break the idea of all squirrels looking the same (even if
many do look alike when you're not paying much attention to them).

http://www.gocomics.com/maintaining/2012/06/28--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: What We Can Say About Nonexistent Things http://wp.me/p1RYhY-hp

John W Kennedy

Jun 28, 2012, 10:51:42 AM6/28/12
But they are generally regional. Where I live, there are only gray
squirrels (apart from rare black mutants) -- and the Eastern (American)
Gray has become a serious threat to other species. I cannot offhand
recall seeing a red squirrel in the first sixty years of my life.

--
John W Kennedy
"Those in the seat of power oft forget their failings and seek only the

Mark Steese

Jun 28, 2012, 2:20:27 PM6/28/12
nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in

> I'd think one red, one black, and one grey squirrel would
> suffice to break the idea of all squirrels looking the same (even if
> many do look alike when you're not paying much attention to them).
>
> http://www.gocomics.com/maintaining/2012/06/28

Stronger evidence that they've never looked at squirrels comes from the
statement that a squirrel lives his life "without a thought or care." In
anthropomorphic terms, squirrels are paranoiacs. "He seems so happy"? Only
if you think "constantly suspicious of everything that moves" equals
"happy." Though they do have one advantage over people - AFAIK, female
squirrels don't have to put up with sexist creeps who regard them as
"scenery."
--
Experts insist that the reason these switches go bad is because they're
hardly ever used. In other words, the less wear a switch gets the quicker

nickel...@yahoo.com

Jun 28, 2012, 2:56:12 PM6/28/12
On 6/28/12 10:51 AM, John W Kennedy wrote:
> On 2012-06-28 07:19:37 +0000, Joseph Nebus said:
>
>> I'd think one red, one black, and one grey squirrel would
>> suffice to break the idea of all squirrels looking the same (even if
>> many do look alike when you're not paying much attention to them).
>>
>> http://www.gocomics.com/maintaining/2012/06/28--
>> http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph
>> Nebus
>> Current Entry: What We Can Say About Nonexistent Things
>> http://wp.me/p1RYhY-hp
>>

> But they are generally regional. Where I live, there are only gray
> squirrels (apart from rare black mutants) -- and the Eastern (American)
> Gray has become a serious threat to other species. I cannot offhand
> recall seeing a red squirrel in the first sixty years of my life.

Just wondering what part of the country you're in.

I saw only eastern gray squirrels for most of my life in mid-NC, and
now see 2 species (coastal SC) : eastern gray, and southern fox squirrels,
the fox squirrels with the black mask. But when i looked for range maps,
i saw multiple species covered in mid-NC and here. I would never have
known from personal experience that the red squirrel ranged through the
Carolinas. I saw them in Missouri and found them exotic(!).

--

pax,
ruth

John W Kennedy

Jun 28, 2012, 3:44:06 PM6/28/12
On 2012-06-28 18:56:12 +0000, nickel...@yahoo.com said:

> On 6/28/12 10:51 AM, John W Kennedy wrote:
>> On 2012-06-28 07:19:37 +0000, Joseph Nebus said:
>>
>>> I'd think one red, one black, and one grey squirrel would
>>> suffice to break the idea of all squirrels looking the same (even if
>>> many do look alike when you're not paying much attention to them).
>>>
>>> http://www.gocomics.com/maintaining/2012/06/28--
>>> http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph
>>> Nebus
>>> Current Entry: What We Can Say About Nonexistent Things
>>> http://wp.me/p1RYhY-hp
>>>

>> But they are generally regional. Where I live, there are only gray
>> squirrels (apart from rare black mutants) -- and the Eastern (American)
>> Gray has become a serious threat to other species. I cannot offhand
>> recall seeing a red squirrel in the first sixty years of my life.
>>

> Just wondering what part of the country you're in.

New Jersey (mid-outer NYC suburbs).

> I saw only eastern gray squirrels for most of my life in mid-NC, and
> now see 2 species (coastal SC) : eastern gray, and southern fox squirrels,
> the fox squirrels with the black mask. But when i looked for range maps,
> i saw multiple species covered in mid-NC and here. I would never have
> known from personal experience that the red squirrel ranged through the
> Carolinas. I saw them in Missouri and found them exotic(!).

And I first saw a red squirrel in Kansas a few years ago.

--
John W Kennedy
A proud member of the reality-based community.

Heather Kendrick

Jun 28, 2012, 11:44:42 PM6/28/12
In article <4fec6f7e$0$1229$607e...@cv.net>,
John W Kennedy <jwk...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> But they are generally regional. Where I live, there are only gray
> squirrels (apart from rare black mutants) -- and the Eastern (American)
> Gray has become a serious threat to other species. I cannot offhand
> recall seeing a red squirrel in the first sixty years of my life.

Since we're having one of those "how things are where I'm from" sort of
threads...

In my own backyard in Lansing, Michigan, I have seen Eastern gray
squirrels (usually black, very occasionally gray), fox squirrels, red
squirrels, and on one occasion, a flying squirrel. Plus, if you want to
count them, chipmunks.

Heather

Mike

Jun 29, 2012, 9:56:01 AM6/29/12
On Jun 28, 10:51 am, John W Kennedy <jwke...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2012-06-28 07:19:37 +0000, Joseph Nebus said:
>
> >         I'd think one red, one black, and one grey squirrel would
> > suffice to break the idea of all squirrels looking the same (even if
> > many do look alike when you're not paying much attention to them).
>
> >http://www.gocomics.com/maintaining/2012/06/28--
> >http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/                            Joseph Nebus
> > Current Entry: What We Can Say About Nonexistent Thingshttp://wp.me/p1RYhY-hp
>
> But they are generally regional. Where I live, there are only gray
> squirrels (apart from rare black mutants) -- and the Eastern (American)
> Gray has become a serious threat to other species. I cannot offhand
> recall seeing a red squirrel in the first sixty years of my life.
>
> --
> John W Kennedy

I was surprised to see black squirrels in Vancouver, BC while visiting
that area back in 2003.

Mike