"Flare" - new weekly comic strip

D. D. Degg

Apr 13, 2008, 8:11:46 PM4/13/08
R. C. Harvey's new news/review web posting came out
[ http://www.rcharvey.com/main.html ]
with the news of a new weekly comic strip coming.
http://www.internationalenterprise.org/flarestrip.html

"Flare" will be a weekly comic strip by
creator Dennis Mallonee and
artists Gordon Purcell, Mark Beachum,
and Tim Burgard.
All the samples seem to be by Tim Burgard.

"Flare will begin May 4, 2008 and be distributed
by Publishing Group of America.
There only product familiar to me is their
Parade/USA Weekend similcrum
American Profile that seems to appear in
the smaller newspapers.

Their Flare page is here:
http://www.hometowncontent.com/hc/cat.aspx?id_cat=FL

As far as I can determine Flare began as an
independent comic book with issue number
one cover dated November 1988.
If memory serves it was even more risque than
what the weekly strip samples seem to be.

D.D.Degg
for weekday comic strip news
check out http://dailycartoonist.com/

Mark Jackson

Apr 13, 2008, 10:39:51 PM4/13/08
D. D. Degg wrote:

> As far as I can determine Flare began as an
> independent comic book with issue number
> one cover dated November 1988.
> If memory serves it was even more risque than
> what the weekly strip samples seem to be.

Quite a few issues are available free through Wowio.

This paper, then, is a serious analysis of a
ridiculous subject, which is of course the opposite
of what is usual in economics. - Paul Krugman

Dave Van Domelen

Apr 13, 2008, 10:44:47 PM4/13/08
In article <8a7e052b-1101-4f90...@z24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

D. D. Degg <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
>As far as I can determine Flare began as an
>independent comic book with issue number
>one cover dated November 1988.
>If memory serves it was even more risque than
>what the weekly strip samples seem to be.

Flare has had a couple of comics, the late 80s/early 90s one, then a
recent relaunch that ran a few years. The more recent one was less risque,
containing little to no actual nudity (which cropped up a lot in the original
series). But both incarnations suffered from an ever increasing amount of
political ranting in place of actual stories, and I dropped both versions
shortly before they were cancelled because it was getting tiresome. And I
suspect enough others found it tiresome that it helps explain the
cancellations.

Dave Van Domelen, notes it wasn't all that socially conservative, at
least, but that'd be a rough transition given the heavy "lesbians are hawt"
theme of the book.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 14, 2008, 12:16:33 AM4/14/08

As I recall it, "Flare" was an OK comic but not great enough that
I missed it after the first series was cancelled. IIRC, she did
have one really great villian though, a crazy guy named "Darkon"
who was convinced that his darkness powers were based on emitting
"darkons", which were the dark anthesis to photons. All his
encounters with Flare were really loopy. There was a bit of nudity
that wouldn't fly on the (American) comics pages, but I think the
relaunched comic-book series dropped that.

I think I'd rather see Eternity Smith come to the comic pages.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Jym Dyer

Apr 14, 2008, 1:10:03 PM4/14/08
> Their Flare page is here:

http://www.hometowncontent.com/hc/cat.aspx?id_cat=FL

=v= A model/superhero? Meh. I'd be more impressed if
the strip featured Jennifer Anniston in her _Office_Space_
role. Wouldn't even have to change the title.
<_Jym_>