Candorville this week (3 March 2008- )

Neil Robinson

Mar 5, 2008, 2:44:37 PM3/5/08
The Detroit Free Press isn't running it this week, substituting Retro
Geek.

I got an email response from the Special Features and Syndicates Editor
confirming that ths is a conscious decision: "Satire is a tough artform.
... I think political assassination ---in any form---just isn't
explainable to a great many readers as a light matter."

Ah well. At least he assures me that they're bringing it back when the
storyline changes, which is better than they did for Watch Your Head.

Any other papers pull this?

Neil Robinson

Brian Huntley

Mar 5, 2008, 3:19:01 PM3/5/08

Wadaminute - Political Assassination? Nobody's been shot -what are
they talking about?

The strip is about *security* at a rally. The subtext seems to be
about either a sloppy job or a case of 'crowd profiling', in which
only some people were checked for weapons.

aemeijers

Mar 5, 2008, 7:08:07 PM3/5/08
I noticed it missing from the Detroit rag as well, and figured it was
something like this. Detroit paper was being stupid, but since the metro
area has a plurality of minorities, they are hyper-sensitive to outrage.
But even before seeing the strips, when I saw the actual news reports, I
was surprised. I know Secret Service routinely leads the local LEOs
around by the nose at these things, and likes to act like they know
everything, but that is one city where you would think the locals would
tell the feds to go to hell and err on the side of caution. Thanks to
the mass media, they are the city everyone thinks of first as soon as
you say 'assassination'. No mayor or PD Chief wants a repeat on their
watch, and given how everyone is talking up Obama as JFK reincarnate,
well, wackos were a reasonable expectation.

(Bush did a quickie visit here in SW MI a couple years back. It would
have been a good day to rob a bank on the other side of town. All the
local PDs wanted in on the parade, and they basically denuded 3 counties
of law enforcement for the 5 hours or so he was on the ground.)

aem sends...

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Mar 5, 2008, 9:40:56 PM3/5/08

Lax Secret Service security . . . in Dallas . . .

I do not think *that* is something Obama wants in common with JFK!

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

Brian Huntley

Mar 5, 2008, 9:51:28 PM3/5/08
On Mar 5, 7:08 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:

> I noticed it missing from the Detroit rag as well, and figured it was
> something like this. Detroit paper was being stupid, but since the metro
> area has a plurality of minorities, they are hyper-sensitive to outrage.
> But even before seeing the strips, when I saw the actual news reports, I
> was surprised. I know Secret Service routinely leads the local LEOs
> around by the nose at these things, and likes to act like they know
> everything, but that is one city where you would think the locals would
> tell the feds to go to hell and err on the side of caution. Thanks to
> the mass media, they are the city everyone thinks of first as soon as
> you say 'assassination'. No mayor or PD Chief wants a repeat on their
> watch, and given how everyone is talking up Obama as JFK reincarnate,
> well, wackos were a reasonable expectation.

I thought Buffalo, NY, still had the lead as the place most likely to
get assassinated in.

But I see what you mean. I've heard Obama compared to JFK, RFK, and
MLK, and, having lived in the US in 1968, thought "Oh, crap - that's
not a good combination."

- Brian "Moms Mabley fan" Huntley