Luann (12-11 and this week)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 12, 2008, 1:43:21 AM12/12/08
Looks like Greg Evans may be borrowing something from Brooke
McEldowney; well, it worked for Edda/Amos . . .:

<http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/>

<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=Luann>

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/57vr72>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 12, 2008, 8:48:04 AM12/12/08
On Dec 12, 1:43 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>    Looks like Greg Evans may be borrowing something from Brooke
> McEldowney; well, it worked for Edda/Amos . . .:
>
>   <http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/>
>
> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=L...>
>
>   <http://preview.tinyurl.com/57vr72>

Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless? "Uninhabited resort"? That
doesn't even make sense. No wonder Toni is royally pissed.

Len-L

Dec 12, 2008, 10:01:25 AM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:04 -0800 (PST), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
<wkharri...@yahoo.com> opined:

Ah, but _is_ she pissed? I can't tell yet.
Len-L

Wingnut

Dec 12, 2008, 11:34:37 AM12/12/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Looks like Greg Evans may be borrowing something from Brooke
> McEldowney; well, it worked for Edda/Amos . . .:
>
> <http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/>
>

> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=Luann>
>
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/57vr72>

Can anybody explain why the "Luann" in my L A Times yesterday and today is
about Luann getting a tattoo? I went to latimes.com to try and post the
actual strip but can't locate comics on the site. You'll have to take my
word for it...

Joseph Nebus

Dec 12, 2008, 11:41:19 AM12/12/08
Len-L <len...@gmail.com> writes:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:04 -0800 (PST), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
><wkharri...@yahoo.com> opined:

>>On Dec 12, 1:43am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Looks like Greg Evans may be borrowing something from Brooke
>>> McEldowney; well, it worked for Edda/Amos . . .:
>>>
>>> <http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/>
>>>
>>> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=L...>
>>>
>>> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/57vr72>
>>
>>Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless? "Uninhabited resort"? That
>>doesn't even make sense. No wonder Toni is royally pissed.

>Ah, but _is_ she pissed? I can't tell yet.

I suppose that ``uninhabited'' could be a plausible reading
if you look at it briefly and are thinking of a place that's far from
any cities, towns, villages, or cheeseburgers. It would take a bit
of density to not notice the mention of not needing clothing.

Also, didn't Brad just spend two thousand dollars to be in the
calendar? I grant he seems to have a cheap lifestyle, and he isn't, I
guess, paying rent the last few months but hasn't he got a budget?

--
Joseph Nebus

Mark Jackson

Dec 12, 2008, 1:12:33 PM12/12/08
On Dec 12, 11:34 am, "Wingnut" <throwtheb...@rottenspammers.com>
wrote:

> Can anybody explain why the "Luann" in my L A Times yesterday and today is
> about Luann getting a tattoo?  I went to latimes.com to try and post the
> actual strip but can't locate comics on the site.  You'll have to take my
> word for it...

Either the editors objected to this week's arc or Zell told 'em to
recycle.

Think how hard physics would be if particles could think.
- Murray Gell-Mann

Jym Dyer

Dec 12, 2008, 2:10:15 PM12/12/08
http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/

> Can anybody explain why the "Luann" in my L A Times
> yesterday and today is about Luann getting a tattoo?

=v= Um ... because it's the L.A. Times?

=v= How a newspaper can serve the home of "The Industry"
and be so squeamish about naughtiness is beyond me.
<_Jym_>

bllbickel

Dec 12, 2008, 2:13:27 PM12/12/08
On Dec 12, 10:01 am, Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:04 -0800 (PST), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
> <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> opined:

> >On Dec 12, 1:43 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >>    Looks like Greg Evans may be borrowing something from Brooke
> >> McEldowney; well, it worked for Edda/Amos . . .:
>
> >>   <http://comics.com/luann/2008-12-11/>
>
> >> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=L...>
>
> >>   <http://preview.tinyurl.com/57vr72>
>
> >Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless? "Uninhabited resort"? That
> >doesn't even make sense. No wonder Toni is royally pissed.
>
> Ah, but _is_ she pissed? I can't tell yet.
> Len-L

Have we ever been able to tell anything about Toni's feelings? She's
always been as much a mystery to the readers as she has to Brad.

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com

Default User

Dec 12, 2008, 2:26:35 PM12/12/08
bllbickel wrote:

> On Dec 12, 10:01 am, Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ah, but is she pissed? I can't tell yet.

> > Len-L
>
> Have we ever been able to tell anything about Toni's feelings? She's
> always been as much a mystery to the readers as she has to Brad.

Hell, *she* might not really know.

Brian

won't shut up.

Wingnut

Dec 12, 2008, 2:30:21 PM12/12/08

"Jym Dyer" <j...@econet.org> wrote in message

Actually, now that I think about it, this may be the author's call. The
Times is "auditioning" several strips as possible replacements for FBOFW,
and Luann is just wrapping up its 6 week trial run. They might be trying to
keep it as family-friendly as possible to improve their chances of being
picked up permanently. Although right now I'm planning to vote for "Between
Friends."

BTW, I agree with you about the Puritanism. I'm about to celebrate the 1
year anniversary of my retirement from there, in the advertising department,
and you wouldn't believe the restrictions put on the ads. Or maybe you
would. 8^)

Paul Antonissen

Dec 12, 2008, 2:35:39 PM12/12/08
In article <Jym.12Dec20...@scorcher.org>,
Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:

I don't think it's sqeamishness (this time). Luann has never been in
synch at the LAT. Might have something to do with it being a test run of
the strip (as a replacement for FBOFW).

--
Reverend Paul

"The Dude abides."

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 12, 2008, 2:39:48 PM12/12/08
In article <ghued9$k3j$1...@news.motzarella.org>,

I know Micky Kaus is always ragging on the LA Times for being in big financial
trouble yet refusing to follow juicy Hollywood stories that are in its own
back yard and that people might actually want to read...

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

aemeijers

Dec 12, 2008, 7:54:27 PM12/12/08

I don't think so. She KNOWS Brad is a clueless dolt at romantic stuff by
this point, but she also knows he is as harmless and well-meaning as a
klutzy puppy. She still hangs out with him, for the ego-stroking if
nothing else. IOW, she knows it was an innocent mistake.

But isn't this about the Nth replay of the 'inappropriate gift' arc,
that started with the negligee given to neighbor girl Dianne, about 6-7
resets ago? (and now that I think about it, was Diane maybe the
prototype for Toni?)

--
aem sends...

Dann

Dec 12, 2008, 10:40:40 PM12/12/08
On 12 Dec 2008, Ted Nolan <tednolan> said the following in

That's one way of spinning it...

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Freezer

Dec 13, 2008, 12:56:29 AM12/13/08
If I don't reply to this Blinky the Wonder Wombat post, the
terrorists win!

Brad that clueless? Signs (sadly) point to "yes". My next paycheck
says TJ knew about that little "detail" and intentionally didn't tell
Brad. (Why Brad didn't read up on this place himself? What fun is a
Brad that learns from his mistakes? 9_9)

--
My name is Freezer and my anti-drug is porn.
http://www.geocities.com/mysterysciencefreezer

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 13, 2008, 12:54:54 PM12/13/08

Actually, they're doing a test run for a replacement for FBOFW, so
instead of the regular run, it's a "sampler" . . .

JC Dill

Dec 15, 2008, 2:39:24 AM12/15/08
Blinky the Wonder Wombat wrote:

> Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless?

Brad? Yes. TJ? No. TJ knew exactly what he was doing.

jc

Dann

Dec 15, 2008, 6:59:27 AM12/15/08
On 15 Dec 2008, JC Dill said the following in news:gi51jd$vo8$1
@news.motzarella.org.

> Blinky the Wonder Wombat wrote:
>
>> Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless?
>
> Brad? Yes. TJ? No. TJ knew exactly what he was doing.

Not according to today's strip. TJ was surprised to hear that it was a
clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly thanks from Brad
for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful" situation.

JC Dill

Dec 15, 2008, 12:33:54 PM12/15/08
Dann wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2008, JC Dill said the following in news:gi51jd$vo8$1
> @news.motzarella.org.
>
>> Blinky the Wonder Wombat wrote:
>>
>>> Can TJ and Brad actually be that clueless?
>> Brad? Yes. TJ? No. TJ knew exactly what he was doing.
>
> Not according to today's strip. TJ was surprised

Yeah, right.

> to hear that it was a
> clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly thanks from Brad
> for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful" situation.

TJ knew.

jc

Freezer

Dec 15, 2008, 6:53:56 PM12/15/08
If I don't respond to this Dann post, the terrorists win.

> Not according to today's strip. TJ was surprised to hear that it
> was a clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly
> thanks from Brad for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful"
> situation.

To which I say a great big "Bullshit".

Of course, I'm still having a hard time wondering how Brad could order
tickets to this place and *not* stumble upon this info.

Dann

Dec 15, 2008, 9:18:43 PM12/15/08
On 15 Dec 2008, Freezer said the following in

> If I don't respond to this Dann post, the terrorists win.
>
>> Not according to today's strip. TJ was surprised to hear that it
>> was a clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly
>> thanks from Brad for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful"
>> situation.
>
> To which I say a great big "Bullshit".

I guess the good news is that we will all know the truth in the next few
days/weeks.

Message has been deleted

Dann

Dec 15, 2008, 10:52:19 PM12/15/08
On 15 Dec 2008, Dave Brown said the following in

> In article <Xns9B7547644FA22d...@74.209.136.95>,

> Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Not according to today's strip. TJ was surprised to hear that it was
>> a clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly thanks
>> from Brad for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful" situation.
>

> Say! When did TJ become black?

He's been ethnically flexible for quite some time. I'm not sure if it is
on purpose or the fault of colorizers looking for something to colorize.

racs...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2008, 7:14:12 AM12/16/08
On Dec 15, 10:52 pm, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2008, Dave Brown said the following innews:cu47ig...@phb.lart.ca.
>
> > In article <Xns9B7547644FA22detox665hotmail...@74.209.136.95>,

> > Dann  <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Not according to today's strip.  TJ was surprised to hear that it was
> >> a clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly thanks
> >> from Brad for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful" situation.
>
> > Say!  When did TJ become black?
>
> He's been ethnically flexible for quite some time.  I'm not sure if it is
> on purpose or the fault of colorizers looking for something to colorize.

But Delta has been of the cross-hatched persuasion since the
beginning, yes? Granted, TJ appeared after the Great Awakening, in
which people's eyes became smaller and their other features finer as
well, but still, even after Delta went from cross-hatched to shaded
in, TJ remained untouched.

Maybe he's got Reverse Jacko Syndrome.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

deto...@hotmail.com

Dec 16, 2008, 8:55:37 AM12/16/08
On Dec 16, 7:14 am, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 15, 10:52 pm, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 15 Dec 2008, Dave Brown said the following innews:cu47ig...@phb.lart.ca.

> > > Say!  When did TJ become black?

> > He's been ethnically flexible for quite some time.  I'm not sure if it is
> > on purpose or the fault of colorizers looking for something to colorize.
>
> But Delta has been of the cross-hatched persuasion since the
> beginning, yes? Granted, TJ appeared after the Great Awakening, in
> which people's eyes became smaller and their other features finer as
> well, but still, even after Delta went from cross-hatched to shaded
> in, TJ remained untouched.

TJ seems more white in the B&W version. But whenever I pick up a
paper with the colorized Luann, the impression I get is that TJ is
definitely not exclusively of caucasian heritage.

--
Regards,
Dann

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 16, 2008, 9:26:12 AM12/16/08
On Dec 15, 9:48 pm, dagbr...@LART.ca (Dave Brown) wrote:
> In article <Xns9B7547644FA22detox665hotmail...@74.209.136.95>,
>
> Dann  <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Not according to today's strip.  TJ was surprised to hear that it was a
> > clothing optional resort and expected extra big glitterly thanks from Brad
> > for unknowingly setting up such a "wonderful" situation.
>
> Say!  When did TJ become black?
>
> --Dave

He's Officer's Jackson's ("Stoen Soup") nephew.

Actually, I think they're trying to make TJ appear Latino.