Zits (7-24)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 24, 2008, 12:04:02 PM7/24/08
1. She kisses . . . his nose?!

2. If that's his heart in the last panel, I'm a bit confused by his
forlorn expression . . .

3. Last panel: ummm, ewww?

4. What's the deal with Jeremy's body parts popping out of him? I
was reminded of the "brain argument" a few weeks back . . .:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/zits.asp?date=20080724>

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Bobcat

Jul 25, 2008, 6:58:48 AM7/25/08
On Jul 24, 12:04 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> 1.  She kisses . . . his nose?!
> 2.  If that's his heart in the last panel, I'm a bit confused by his
> forlorn expression . . .

Rather than forlorn I saw his expression as bemused, amused, confused
and delighted. When you're fifteen you're an emotional olio. (There, I
finally got to use that crossword puzzle word in a newsgroup post!)

Paul Ciszek

Jul 25, 2008, 10:06:22 AM7/25/08

In article <a0ae8eb3-09e3-4f4f...@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

He's Stupefied. His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc. (I wish I could
remember the rest of that line.)

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

unMichael

Jul 25, 2008, 12:34:28 PM7/25/08
On Jul 25, 10:06 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <a0ae8eb3-09e3-4f4f-8727-ce8f1329e...@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> Bobcat  <bob_c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 24, 12:04 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> 1.  She kisses . . . his nose?!
> >> 2.  If that's his heart in the last panel, I'm a bit confused by his
> >> forlorn expression . . .
>
> >Rather than forlorn I saw his expression as bemused, amused, confused
> >and delighted. When you're fifteen you're an emotional olio. (There, I
> >finally got to use that crossword puzzle word in a newsgroup post!)
>
> He's Stupefied.  His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
> stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc.  (I wish I could
> remember the rest of that line.)

I like this girl for him better than the others that have been around
(all of whose names I'm blanking on). I just hope she doesn't get
bored with him and move on.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Jul 25, 2008, 1:39:40 PM7/25/08

Beckers seems like a literal whirlwind- she'll just move on.

I'm hoping Viral returns- I liked her and her over-achieving
personality.

Pat O'Neill

Jul 25, 2008, 6:28:07 PM7/25/08
On Jul 25, 10:06 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

> He's Stupefied. His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
> stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc. (I wish I could
> remember the rest of that line.)

My god--a quote from the musical version of Li'l Abner! I thought Mark
Evanier and I were the only two people in the world who still
remembered that show!

And just remember--it was Jubilation T. Cornpone who really saved the
day!

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 25, 2008, 6:30:16 PM7/25/08
In article <3f1f7a03-0511-4eab...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,

Well -- there is nothing so peacable as a National Monument..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Mike Beede

Jul 25, 2008, 10:10:27 PM7/25/08

> And just remember--it was Jubilation T. Cornpone who really saved the
> day!

The absolute only thing I remember about it is that song about
Jubilation T Cornpone.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike Beede

bllbickel

Jul 25, 2008, 11:50:02 PM7/25/08
On Jul 25, 6:28 pm, "Pat O'Neill" <patdone...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 10:06 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>

> > He's Stupefied.  His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
> > stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc.  (I wish I could
> > remember the rest of that line.)
>
> My god--a quote from the musical version of Li'l Abner! I thought Mark
> Evanier and I were the only two people in the world who still
> remembered that show!

And I.

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com

George W Harris

Jul 26, 2008, 5:05:57 AM7/26/08
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:28:07 -0700 (PDT), "Pat O'Neill"
<patdo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Jul 25, 10:06 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>

>> He's Stupefied. His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
>> stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc. (I wish I could
>> remember the rest of that line.)
>>

>My god--a quote from the musical version of Li'l Abner! I thought Mark
>Evanier and I were the only two people in the world who still
>remembered that show!

I appeared in a godawful high school production of it.

>And just remember--it was Jubilation T. Cornpone who really saved the
>day!

First in war, first in peace, first to holler "I quit!"
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Bobcat

Jul 26, 2008, 6:37:25 AM7/26/08

On Jul 25, 10:10 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> The absolute only thing I remember about it is that song about
> Jubilation T Cornpone.

>    Mike Beede

What I remember is Li'l Abner and Marryin' Sam returning from
Washington and reporting that "The Country's in the Very Best of
Hands".

The country's in the very best of hands
The best of hands
The best of hands

The treasury says the national debt
Is climbing to the sky
And government expenditures
Have never been so high
It makes a fellow get a
Gleam of pride when they decide
To see how our economy expands
The country's in the very best of hands

You oughtta hear the senate
When their drawing up a bill
Where asses and dimwits are crowded in each conisil (sp.)
Such legal terminology
Would give your heart a thrill
There's phrases there that no one understands
The country's in the very best of hands

The building boom, they say
Is getting bigger every day
And when I asked a feller
How could everybody pay
He come up with an answer
That made everything okay
Supplies are getting greater than demands
The country's in the very best of hands

Don't you believe them congressmen
And senators are dumb
When they run into problems
That is tough to overcome
They just declare something
They call the moritorium
The upper and the lower house dismans
The country's in the very best of hands

Fox Motors is connected to the nominee
The nominee's connected to the treasury
When he ain't connected to the treasury
He sits around on his thigh bone

He sits around in his fancy car
This big congressional parking lot
Just sits around on the you know what
'Cause there they calls it their thigh bone

The country's in the very best of hands
The best of hands
The best of hands!

Pat O'Neill

Jul 26, 2008, 6:48:42 AM7/26/08
On Jul 26, 5:05 am, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:28:07 -0700 (PDT), "Pat O'Neill"
>
> <patdone...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >On Jul 25, 10:06 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>
> >> He's Stupefied. His red corpuscels and his white corpuscles stand
> >> stock still and stupidly stare at each other etc. (I wish I could
> >> remember the rest of that line.)
>
> >My god--a quote from the musical version of Li'l Abner! I thought Mark
> >Evanier and I were the only two people in the world who still
> >remembered that show!
>
> I appeared in a godawful high school production of it.

So did I, about 40 years ago, as General Bullmoose (though I don't
think ours was "godawful").

George Peatty

Jul 26, 2008, 10:56:02 AM7/26/08
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:10:27 -0500, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

>The absolute only thing I remember about it is that song about
>Jubilation T Cornpone.

What's good for General Bullmoose .. is good for the USA!

George W Harris

Jul 26, 2008, 5:11:31 PM7/26/08

It was a high school production? It was godawful.

Not as godawful as ours, though; ours was a
*summer* high school production.

Pat O'Neill

Jul 26, 2008, 7:41:39 PM7/26/08
On Jul 26, 5:11 pm, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 03:48:42 -0700 (PDT), "Pat O'Neill"
>

> <patdone...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >On Jul 26, 5:05 am, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

> >> I appeared in a godawful high school production of it.
>
> >So did I, about 40 years ago, as General Bullmoose (though I don't
> >think ours was "godawful").
>
> It was a high school production? It was godawful.
>
> Not as godawful as ours, though; ours was a
> *summer* high school production.

In addition to the high school productions I appeared in in my youth,
I have worked with the local high school's drama group for six years
now...first as a parent of one of the actors, now as merely a
community member. The productions are not "godawful". Many of them
have featured performers with voices and talent, if not of
professional caliber yet, well on their way to reaching that level.

I'm intensely proud of the kids I work with in these shows. I think of
them as "my drama kids".

George W Harris

Jul 26, 2008, 9:12:21 PM7/26/08
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:41:39 -0700 (PDT), "Pat O'Neill"
<patdo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>In addition to the high school productions I appeared in in my youth,
>I have worked with the local high school's drama group for six years
>now...first as a parent of one of the actors, now as merely a
>community member. The productions are not "godawful". Many of them
>have featured performers with voices and talent, if not of
>professional caliber yet, well on their way to reaching that level.
>
>I'm intensely proud of the kids I work with in these shows. I think of
>them as "my drama kids".

I'm sure they're adequate.

Sherwood Harrington

Jul 26, 2008, 10:01:00 PM7/26/08
George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:41:39 -0700 (PDT), "Pat O'Neill"
> <patdo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>In addition to the high school productions I appeared in in my youth,
>>I have worked with the local high school's drama group for six years
>>now...first as a parent of one of the actors, now as merely a
>>community member. The productions are not "godawful". Many of them
>>have featured performers with voices and talent, if not of
>>professional caliber yet, well on their way to reaching that level.
>>
>>I'm intensely proud of the kids I work with in these shows. I think of
>>them as "my drama kids".
>>
> I'm sure they're adequate.

I'm sure they're a lot more than that, and my inner Boris Kolenkhov, Ali
Hakim, and Joe Cable all agree with me.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Drama Club and Choir in High School: Great for Dates

racs...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2008, 5:25:32 AM7/27/08
On Jul 26, 7:41 pm, "Pat O'Neill" <patdone...@verizon.net> wrote:

> In addition to the high school productions I appeared in in my youth,
> I have worked with the local high school's drama group for six years
> now...first as a parent of one of the actors, now as merely a
> community member. The productions are not "godawful". Many of them
> have featured performers with voices and talent, if not of
> professional caliber yet, well on their way to reaching that level.
>
> I'm intensely proud of the kids I work with in these shows. I think of
> them as "my drama kids".

As with high school athletics, the quality of high school music, arts
and drama tends to reflect the size of the school and the level of
support a particular program receives from the administration and the
community.

My own school was small -- about 90 kids in my graduating class. We
did "the Mikado" as our senior play, had to bring in juniors to flesh
out the cast and chorus and still had to turn "Our Great Mikado,
Virtuous Man" into a recitive in order to include the necessary plot
background without sending the audience fleeing out into the parking
lot. The instrumental backup for our production was the elementary
music teacher on a piano. If we'd used the school band, we'd have lost
two thirds of our actors.

Yes, if we'd had 600 kids in our class, we'd have pulled off a more
polished version. But I've seen bigger schools where the senior play
was one of those horrible "senior play in a can" productions in which
everybody gets a speaking role and nobody is asked to do anything that
requires anything more than they could have pulled off in the fourth
grade.

We had great support but not enough of a pool of talent. I think
that's better than having the pool and nobody willing to dig in and
make something good happen.

If you have both, that's great.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Pat O'Neill

Jul 27, 2008, 6:35:02 AM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 5:25 am, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Ours is so good thanks to a wonderful talent pool (in a school
population of about 2000), and a terrifically dedicated drama teacher/
director. Administration support (both at the school and district
level) is minimal, but it's there. Community support comes and goes.
I'm the only person consistently involved without a kid in the program
any longer. (Our set building chief is the director's dad.)

Bobcat

Jul 27, 2008, 9:50:52 AM7/27/08
wrote:

> As with high school athletics, the quality of high school music, arts

> and drama tends to reflect the size of the school and the level of
> support a particular program receives from the administration and the
> community.

The first-class musicals staged by the students at our kids' Toronto
high school included The Music Man, Guys and Dolls and countless
others. They were very successful and the kids in them excelled
themselves almost entirely because of their music teacher, Christopher
Kitts. He'd completely wear himself out each year, then let the kids
take their deserved bows. Unfortunately music programs in schools has
suffered lately because of bureaucratic ineptitude and the financial
cutbacks that have resulted from it.

aemeijers

Jul 27, 2008, 11:29:21 AM7/27/08

Perceived quality of high school dramatic and musical productions, I
have found, has a direct correlation with the level of genetic or
emotional relationship one has with one or more of the performers. If
they are 'your people', you can't be an unbiased judge. Not a slam
against the kids, by any means- at that age, it takes a lot of guts to
perform in front of even a friendly audience. But viewers are there to
cheer on the kids, not see a professional performance. Even at the
college or summer-stock level, when you get a guest appearance by an
actual working actor or musician, the difference is usually quite obvious.

--
aem sends...

nickelshrink

Jul 27, 2008, 12:48:32 PM7/27/08

My friends and i used to attend the local high school productions
just for fun, and had no tie at all to any kid or faculty member
in it. The school was fair-sized, well-to-do, and had high interest
from the community and they did a great show and we had a blast.
Fast funny high-energy shows like Guys and Dolls can work nicely
at that skill level.

People without ties to it can enjoy these shows a lot, IF their thinking
inclines them to find raw gold right out of the mine just as beautiful
in its
own way as the refined and filigreed product of a skilled goldsmith.
It also doesn't hurt to have been in teenage productions and therefore
know how hard it is to put together, but the effort, the talent you
sometimes see, and the sheer joy the kids obviously feel is just fun.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

Pat O'Neill

Jul 27, 2008, 12:57:57 PM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 11:29 am, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:

> Perceived quality of high school dramatic and musical productions, I
> have found, has a direct correlation with the level of genetic or
> emotional relationship one has with one or more of the performers. If
> they are 'your people', you can't be an unbiased judge. Not a slam
> against the kids, by any means- at that age, it takes a lot of guts to
> perform in front of even a friendly audience. But viewers are there to
> cheer on the kids, not see a professional performance. Even at the
> college or summer-stock level, when you get a guest appearance by an
> actual working actor or musician, the difference is usually quite obvious.

I was an enthusiastic supporter and attender of our local productions
years before my own kid was involved. MAYBE that's because I was in
the same kind of shows (but not as good) in my youth, but I don't
think that's entirely it. MAYBE it's because I think encouraging this
kind of talent at an early age is important, but I don't think that's
entirely it, either. These kids are good, on a continuing basis.

Pat O'Neill

Jul 27, 2008, 1:00:49 PM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 12:48 pm, nickelshrink <nickelshr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> People without ties to it can enjoy these shows a lot, IF their thinking
> inclines them to find raw gold right out of the mine just as beautiful
> in its
> own way as the refined and filigreed product of a skilled goldsmith.
> It also doesn't hurt to have been in teenage productions and therefore
> know how hard it is to put together, but the effort, the talent you
> sometimes see, and the sheer joy the kids obviously feel is just fun.

Ruth:
That's it. Our school has done difficult shows like Jesus Christ
Superstar, Carousel, and City of Angels, as well as fluff like Annie
and Suessical. Seeing the pride the kids have in pulling off the hard
stuff...and the energy in even the easy stuff...is terrific.

Dann

Jul 27, 2008, 1:43:26 PM7/27/08
On 27 Jul 2008, aemeijers said the following in

So saith the bard, Anton Ego:

"In many ways the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet
enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to
our judgement. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and
to read.

But, the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme
of things... the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than
our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly
risks something... and that is in the discovery and defense of the new.

The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs
friends."

The fact that there are better performers and better performances, does
not automatically make local performers/performances "good enough" rather
than simply "good".

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Ted Kerin

Jul 28, 2008, 4:07:26 PM7/28/08
nickelshrink wrote:

> People without ties to it can enjoy these shows a lot, IF their
> thinking inclines them to find raw gold right out of the mine just as
> beautiful in its
> own way as the refined and filigreed product of a skilled goldsmith.

Agreed. The best production I've seen of "Fiddler on the Roof" (and I've
seen 3 professional troupes do it) was at a high school (not mine, and not a
relative's). Of course, you had to get past the inherent joke of the whole
cast being Catholic. Everybody in it was very good, although it was largely
carried by an extraordinary Tevye -- a talented (and articulate!) kid whose
own leg brace and severe limp somehow added to the performance. I've
wondered how far his talent would have taken him without that added
challenge limiting his roles -- but whatever he is doing now, I'm sure he
will always cherish that triumph, and that the experience enriched his life
enormously. It has stuck with me, and I was just in the audience.

Also, count me among the fans of the silly "Li'l Abner" musical. I only wish
that the DVD had the scientists' song ("Oh Happy Day!"), which was cut from
the movie, as an "extra". Although inspired by the chemical enhancements of
Youkumberry tonic, the song describes a future that's more like a society of
clones, and as such its satire holds up better than some of the "topical"
songs.

When I've seen it on stage, some of the lyrics were adapted, e.g.,
(depending on the era when I saw it), "My friends say I could run for any
office I seek/ But first I'd have to brush up on my TV technique/ I plan to
get in touch with Bob Montgomery next week" becomes "...Johnny Carson next
week." or "...Regis Philbin next week". In the same Bullmoose song, "a fella
named Ben Hogan" (gaining entrance to the White House), I recall, once
became "some guy named Spiro Agnew." The names of the Scraggs also tend to
acquire local references, and sometimes "The Country's in the Very Best of
Hands" gets entirely new verses. What the copyright-holder thinks of this, I
don't know.

Peter B. Steiger

Jul 26, 2008, 10:20:49 PM7/26/08
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:11:31 -0400, George W Harris sez:
> It was a high school production? It was godawful.

Gotta disagree there. I have been a fan of amateur theatre since I was
in the fifth grade, and I love watching local productions. I'd rather
see our community theater - seats just inches from the stage for ten
bucks! - do "Man of La Mancha" than spend eighty bucks watching some big
name performing it a mile away from my seat. You can keep your
pyrotechnic special effects, too.

That's not sour grapes talk, either. Mrs. PBS took me to Noo Yawk when
we got married to watch Michael Crawford (heh... I couldn't even remember
his name, had to look it up) in Phantom, and I was bored to tears. But
if the community theater, or even high school, did it, I'd be there in,
well, a New York minute.

Sadly, Mrs. PBS has that same dislike of amateur performances. She might
tolerate the community theater if it's not a show she has seen done
"right", but forget about high school and college shows. {shrug} To each
his and/or her own, I guess.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY