Bizzaro- April 17

1 view

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 17, 2009, 8:19:44 AM4/17/09
Kinda funny until the last word:

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090417&name=Bizarro

Hmm, Dan, how about "rubes", "hicks", "white trash", "clodhoppers"?

Any other terms for the un-hip you would like to use?

deto...@hotmail.com

Apr 17, 2009, 2:24:41 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 8:19 am, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

<wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kinda funny until the last word:
>
> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090417&name=Bi...

> Hmm, Dan, how about "rubes", "hicks", "white trash", "clodhoppers"?
>
> Any other terms for the un-hip you would like to use?

He was going to use "not-Dan-Piraro" but that seemed to be just a bit
much.

--
Regards,
Dann

Paul Ciszek

Apr 17, 2009, 9:41:10 PM4/17/09

In article <c4bdb591-5558-4e9e...@z5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

What with "You might be a redneck if..." comedy routines and "Redneck
Olympics" events, I'm not sure redneck is a slur anymore. It seems to
have gone the way of "geek".

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 17, 2009, 9:53:40 PM4/17/09
On Apr 17, 9:41 pm, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <c4bdb591-5558-4e9e-b6a8-3440ea4fd...@z5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

> Blinky the Wonder Wombat  <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Kinda funny until the last word:
>
> >http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090417&name=Bi...

> >Hmm, Dan, how about "rubes", "hicks", "white trash", "clodhoppers"?
>
> >Any other terms for the un-hip you would like to use?
>
> What with "You might be a redneck if..." comedy routines and "Redneck
> Olympics" events, I'm not sure redneck is a slur anymore.  It seems to
> have gone the way of "geek".

I'm not sure Piarro's use of "redneck" carries the same affection that
Jeff Foxworthy's use does.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 18, 2009, 1:16:53 AM4/18/09
In article <gsbb3m$fkk$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <c4bdb591-5558-4e9e...@z5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
>Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Kinda funny until the last word:
>>
>>http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090417&name=Bizarro
>>
>>Hmm, Dan, how about "rubes", "hicks", "white trash", "clodhoppers"?
>>
>>Any other terms for the un-hip you would like to use?
>
>What with "You might be a redneck if..." comedy routines and "Redneck
>Olympics" events, I'm not sure redneck is a slur anymore. It seems to
>have gone the way of "geek".

I *still* don't like geek.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Peter B. Steiger

Apr 18, 2009, 3:47:56 PM4/18/09
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:41:10 +0000, Paul Ciszek sez:

> What with "You might be a redneck if..." comedy routines and "Redneck
> Olympics" events, I'm not sure redneck is a slur anymore. It seems to
> have gone the way of "geek".

Funny you should say that. I am right this second reading a book on the
subject: David Anderegg's "Nerds: Why They Are and Why We Need More of
Them". He spends nearly 300 pages analyzing the difference between
"Nerd" and "Geek", how they relate to autism spectrum disorders, and how
USAian culture's ridicule of brainy types will doom us to last place in
world intellectual achievement.

To folks like us (face it, you wouldn't be reading racs if you didn't
have a higher-than-average geek quotient) the terms may no longer carry
negative connotations, but in interviews with students of all ages and a
variety of nonstudents, Anderegg discovers that our culture
simultaneously envies, relies on, and despises geeks. Or nerds. Or
both. For example, one mother took her kid to see Anderegg because she
wanted the academically lackluster child to have a greater desire to
succeed in school, without all the adverse side effects of being a nerd.

His main thesis, I think, is that while many of us grow out of fearing
the label, and even wear it with pride, the real damage is done in the
earlier years when a child learns how terrible it is to be smart, and
never gets the chance to become the next Einstein or Hawking because he
or she will deliberately choose peer acceptance over the stigma of
nerdiness.

I'm sorry, what was the comic strip we were discussing?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Sherwood Harrington

Apr 18, 2009, 8:34:15 PM4/18/09
Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:

> (face it, you wouldn't be reading racs if you didn't
> have a higher-than-average geek quotient)

... and higher-than-average age, too, probably. I think the last racs
regular under 30 was Sammy Gigantino.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Peter B. Steiger

Apr 19, 2009, 12:41:14 AM4/19/09
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:34:15 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
> ... and higher-than-average age, too, probably. I think the last racs
> regular under 30 was Sammy Gigantino.

That's less to do with comic strips and more to do with the fact that
nobody under 30 remembers Usenet.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 19, 2009, 12:41:50 AM4/19/09
In article <cbydnaHmzJb3NnfU...@bresnan.com>,

Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:34:15 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
>> ... and higher-than-average age, too, probably. I think the last racs
>> regular under 30 was Sammy Gigantino.
>
>That's less to do with comic strips and more to do with the fact that
>nobody under 30 remembers Usenet.
>
>--
>Peter B. Steiger

*You* had Usenet? We just had a cousin whose thumb smelled like a FIDOnet
echo, and *he* had to post uphill, both ways.

aemeijers

Apr 19, 2009, 7:30:59 AM4/19/09
Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:34:15 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
>> ... and higher-than-average age, too, probably. I think the last racs
>> regular under 30 was Sammy Gigantino.
>
> That's less to do with comic strips and more to do with the fact that
> nobody under 30 remembers Usenet.

I don't even tell people I hang out on Usenet any more. As you noted,
the younger ones have no idea what I'm talking about (or think I am
talking about Google Groups), and the older ones either express surprise
that it is still up and running, or turn up their nose in disdain. Most
of the ones who used to use it for esoteric special areas of interest
(like the musical instrument they play, or their special needs support
group, or their professional specialty, or especially buying and selling
weird stuff), have moved on to commercial or private web site venues.
Since many of those web venues portal a filtered version of selected
Usenet groups in their so-called forums, it is almost like we are back
to Fidonet days. I tried a few of the specialized forums- due to
self-selection, they seem to lack the critical mass of people to support
fresh thought. Like old BBS chat rooms, it becomes a few regulars who
spout off on cue, and outsiders are not encouraged to hang around. One
of the reasons I like RACS so much- even though few of us agree on many
things, as long as people play nice, they get treated nice. (and
off-topic discussions are tolerated)

I blame the spammers and the porn kings that gave non-porn spammers the
idea. Porn may have paid for the build-out of the Internet, but the
signal to noise ratio just got too high. That, plus GUI interface making
the the cyberworld accessible to non-geeks. You used to have to have at
least a couple brain cells and some grasp of basic concepts to
communicate one-to-many on a computer. I'll also blame AOL and Google a
little. Google did good by keeping DejaNews alive, but their approach to
'groups', and the earlier AOL portal, brought in way too many people who
had no idea what they were dealing with. Sort of like the CB radio fad
in the old days- once all the clueless newbies were on there, it became
almost useless. It took ten years to get back to being something that
wasn't painful to have switched on whilst on road trips, and be a useful
tool again.

Too early of a Sunday morn for thinking this hard...

--
aem sends...

Jym Dyer

Apr 20, 2009, 1:12:02 PM4/20/09
>>> Any other terms for the un-hip you would like to use?
> I'm not sure Piarro's use of "redneck" carries the same
> affection that Jeff Foxworthy's use does.

=v= Here's the part where I post the usual reminder that
Dan Piraro grew up in Oklahoma and Texas and is not the
kind of New Yorker who emerged, fully-formed, from the
forehead of the Statue of Liberty.
<_Jym_>

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 20, 2009, 3:42:24 PM4/20/09

True, but elitists can come from anywhere.

Mike Peterson

Apr 20, 2009, 6:23:25 PM4/20/09
On Apr 20, 3:42 pm, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

He'd have stayed if he liked it there.

Just sayin'

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mark Jackson

Apr 20, 2009, 7:48:23 PM4/20/09

Hoping that nobody in Star Lake knows how to search Google Groups? :-)

Never express yourself more clearly
than you are able to think. - Niels Bohr

Paul Ciszek

Apr 21, 2009, 12:06:13 PM4/21/09

In article <fd715a2f-7255-4801...@j18g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,

"I believe all Southern liberals come from the same starting point --
race. Once you figure out they are lying to you about race, you start to
question everything." --Molly Ivins

Appropos of nothing in particular, I just like that quote.

Jym Dyer

Apr 21, 2009, 12:27:19 PM4/21/09
=v= Okay, so help me out here:

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/buildcp.mpl?c=153&date=2009/4/21

I'm new to this hatin' on Dan Piraro thing. Should I take this
as an urbanist assault on rural living or a hipsterist assault
on suburban big box stores?
<_Jym_>

cryptoguy

Apr 21, 2009, 12:43:27 PM4/21/09

Mostly the latter, I think.

pt

deto...@hotmail.com

Apr 21, 2009, 2:35:03 PM4/21/09

Heck! You haven't heard that Costco is almost the most destructive
corporate entity in existence? The only thing worse are places with
some portion of Sam Walton's name in the store name.

--
Regards,
Dann

Mike Peterson

Apr 21, 2009, 8:24:18 PM4/21/09
On Apr 20, 7:48 pm, Mark Jackson <mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Mike Peterson wrote:
> > On Apr 20, 3:42 pm, Blinky the Wonder Wombat
> > <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> True, but elitists can come from anywhere.
>
> > He'd have stayed if he liked it there.
>
> > Just sayin'
>
> Hoping that nobody in Star Lake knows how to search Google Groups?  :-)

You kiddin'? My friends know I'd live there right now if I could
figure out a way to make a living there. Most of them are in the same
boat -- though the papermill opened again last year. The mines never
will. My old classmates are scattered, though my girlfriend from
senior year still lives there -- and we see each other on Facebook,
wouldn't you know?

No, there's a big difference between leaving Star Lake for Boston or
New York, and leaving it for Farmington or Lebanon. People here laugh
when I tell them I wish I didn't have to live in the city, though the
folks in Farmington got it.

I don't mind the kids who couldn't wait to get out of town and move to
the city, but I don't have much patience for the ones who think their
lives are (objectively) better for it. We all make choices. No need to
be an @ssh0le about it.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mark Jackson

Apr 21, 2009, 9:12:54 PM4/21/09
Mike Peterson wrote:
> On Apr 20, 7:48 pm, Mark Jackson <mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> Hoping that nobody in Star Lake knows how to search Google Groups? :-)
>
> You kiddin'?

You need to read mail in a wider window, so you don't miss the ":-)"s.

Mike Beede

Apr 22, 2009, 10:09:24 PM4/22/09
In article
<d6dcfbff-52b8-4311...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
deto...@hotmail.com wrote:

Walmart sucks. Just so we get that straight.

As for the comic, I thought it was a funny gag. I guess
it never occurred to me that it was some kind of hipster
"Costco ain't cool" save the whales rant. If it was, he
should have made it shriller and less funny, like some
of his other stuff.

Mike Beede

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 22, 2009, 10:12:52 PM4/22/09
In article <beede-F0B6C0....@news.visi.com>,

Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

>In article
><d6dcfbff-52b8-4311...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
> deto...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Apr 21, 12:27 pm, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>> > =v= Okay, so help me out here:
>> >
>> > http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/buildcp.mpl?c=153&date=2009/4/21
>> >
>> > I'm new to this hatin' on Dan Piraro thing.  Should I take this
>> > as an urbanist assault on rural living or a hipsterist assault
>> > on suburban big box stores?
>>
>> Heck! You haven't heard that Costco is almost the most destructive
>> corporate entity in existence? The only thing worse are places with
>> some portion of Sam Walton's name in the store name.
>
>Walmart sucks. Just so we get that straight.

Go at 2am -- it's great then.

Mike Peterson

Apr 23, 2009, 4:52:53 AM4/23/09
On Apr 22, 10:12 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <beede-F0B6C0.21092422042...@news.visi.com>,

> Mike Beede  <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>

> >In article
> ><d6dcfbff-52b8-4311-b588-d30f11c13...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

> > detox...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> Heck!  You haven't heard that Costco is almost the most destructive
> >> corporate entity in existence?  The only thing worse are places with
> >> some portion of Sam Walton's name in the store name.
>
> >Walmart sucks.   Just so we get that straight.
>
> Go at 2am -- it's great then.

Everything's great at 2 a.m. Lots of colors, people with really
strange, melty faces, odd lights flashing ...

At least, that's the way it was in 1970. It's been a long time since
I've gone places at 2 a.m.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 23, 2009, 11:56:49 AM4/23/09
In article <00e3e490-316a-4ef2...@y7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

Are you sure that's not just an HR Puffenstuff flashback? It's been
cancelled -- you can come out now!

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 23, 2009, 2:01:17 PM4/23/09

JC Dill

Apr 23, 2009, 4:05:50 PM4/23/09
Mike Peterson wrote:

>>> Walmart sucks. Just so we get that straight.
>> Go at 2am -- it's great then.
>
> Everything's great at 2 a.m. Lots of colors, people with really
> strange, melty faces, odd lights flashing ...
>
> At least, that's the way it was in 1970. It's been a long time since
> I've gone places at 2 a.m.

Try 7 a.m. then.

A friend asked me if I wanted to join him on a trip to Walmart at 4 p.m.
the other day. I asked him if he was totally insane. Fortunately he
came to his senses.

jc

Mark Jackson

Apr 23, 2009, 6:24:23 PM4/23/09

Jym Dyer

May 1, 2009, 1:05:39 PM5/1/09
=v= FWIW, here's Dan Piraro's blog entry about this strip:

http://bizarrocomic.blogspot.com/2009/04/do-these-shoes-make-my-feet-look-big.html

Those inclined to get hot under the collar (due in part
to sunburn in that general area) may wish to flame in the
blog comments or something. The controversy there so far
involves gun control and Canada, so something involving
big-city eeleetism could be a refreshing change of pace.
Or not.
<_Jym_>

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 2, 2009, 12:09:11 AM5/2/09

I'm surprised how long it took for someone to make the bestiality
connection . . .

--

- ReFlex76