Six Chix (don't get it)

1 view

Paige

Sep 1, 2008, 11:31:54 AM9/1/08

D. D. Degg

Sep 1, 2008, 11:41:30 AM9/1/08
Paige wrote:
> Can someone explain this to me?
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821

It is going to take a whole lot more than one or two
things to stop global warming/flooding.

D.D.Degg

Paige

Sep 1, 2008, 11:48:02 AM9/1/08

Thanks, D.D.

Not that funny, imo. The strip did a much better job with that topic
in today's strip:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080901

Paige

Dann

Sep 1, 2008, 12:03:31 PM9/1/08
On 01 Sep 2008, Paige said the following in news:96786e7c-733e-48e7-9630-
5ab656...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com.

Switching to CFLs* significantly reduces the amount of electricity needed
to light a given space when compared with using incandescent bulbs for
the same task. Most of our electricity in the US is generated by power
plants that use fossil fuels. Burning fossil fuels produces carbon
dioxide [among other things] that [in combination with still other
things] theoretically causes global warming.

I'm assuming the point of the strip is that we need to do more than just
use CFLs or else we're going to have coastal cities flooded (1+x) levels
above street level.

*CFL = compact flourescent lightbulb

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 1, 2008, 12:04:08 PM9/1/08

In the previous article, Paige <luana....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain this to me?
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821

Sure, no problem.

You see, there are very few female cartoonists, relatively speaking.
I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case. So, in order to
achieve some kind of "balance" on the funny pages, some editors seek
out features penned by women, and are willing to overlook details like
wit, cleverness, or artistic talent. "Six Chix" was created as a
"gimmick" comic with six different women rotating the drawing and
writing duties, and even though only one of the six has any
discernible talent whatever, it's been sold on a kind of Affirmative
Action basis, and apparently bought on the same basis.

And that is how "Six Chix" became a syndicated cartoon, and how it
manages to remain viable despite its utter lack of merit in any
aspect. Glad to have cleared this up for you.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Paul Ciszek

Sep 1, 2008, 1:29:17 PM9/1/08

In article <g9h3po$sao$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

J.D. Baldwin <ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:

>In the previous article, Paige <luana....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone explain this to me?
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821
>
>Sure, no problem.
>
>You see, there are very few female cartoonists, relatively speaking.
>I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case. So, in order to
>achieve some kind of "balance" on the funny pages, some editors seek
>out features penned by women, and are willing to overlook details like
>wit, cleverness, or artistic talent. "Six Chix" was created as a
>"gimmick" comic with six different women rotating the drawing and
>writing duties, and even though only one of the six has any
>discernible talent whatever, it's been sold on a kind of Affirmative

Which day does that one draw the strip?

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Jym Dyer

Sep 1, 2008, 4:25:11 PM9/1/08
>> = Paige
> = D.D.Degg

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821

=v= Kranti of _Minimum_Security_ put it better:

"We will go quietly, meekly, to the end of the world, if only
you allow us to believe that buying low energy light bulbs
will save us."

(Quote from _As_the_World_Burns_, a collaboration between
Derrick Jensen and Stephanie McMillan, so I don't know who's
responsible for those exact words.)
<_Jym_>

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 3, 2008, 12:18:40 PM9/3/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:04:08 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>In the previous article, Paige <luana....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can someone explain this to me?
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821
>
>Sure, no problem.
>
>You see, there are very few female cartoonists, relatively speaking.
>I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case. So, in order to
>achieve some kind of "balance" on the funny pages, some editors seek
>out features penned by women, and are willing to overlook details like
>wit, cleverness, or artistic talent. "Six Chix" was created as a
>"gimmick" comic with six different women rotating the drawing and
>writing duties, and even though only one of the six has any
>discernible talent whatever, it's been sold on a kind of Affirmative
>Action basis, and apparently bought on the same basis.
>
>And that is how "Six Chix" became a syndicated cartoon, and how it
>manages to remain viable despite its utter lack of merit in any
>aspect. Glad to have cleared this up for you.

Though that's not how Affirmative Action works, I see something
similar in newspapers as well with editorial cartooning; I see no
other explanation for Mallard Filmore, Mike Lester, Glenn McCoy, or
Eric Allie getting any kind publishing . . .

Jim Strain

Sep 3, 2008, 1:11:08 PM9/3/08
On Sep 1, 9:04 am, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:

> In the previous article, Paige  <luana.kra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain this to me?
>
> >http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080821
>
> Sure, no problem.
>
> You see, there are very few female cartoonists, relatively speaking.
> I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case.  So, in order to
> achieve some kind of "balance" on the funny pages, some editors seek
> out features penned by women, and are willing to overlook details like
> wit, cleverness, or artistic talent.  "Six Chix" was created as a
> "gimmick" comic with six different women rotating the drawing and
> writing duties, and even though only one of the six has any
> discernible talent whatever, it's been sold on a kind of Affirmative
> Action basis, and apparently bought on the same basis.
>
> And that is how "Six Chix" became a syndicated cartoon, and how it
> manages to remain viable despite its utter lack of merit in any
> aspect.  Glad to have cleared this up for you.
> --
>   _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \      /  bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------­---

Must...restrain...fingers...from...typing...cheap...shot...about...Sarah
Palin....
. . . jim strain in san diego.

JC Dill

Sep 5, 2008, 3:41:42 AM9/5/08
Jim Strain wrote:

> Must...restrain...fingers...from...typing...cheap...shot...about...Sarah
> Palin....
> .. . . jim strain in san diego.

Oops. I think you typed that with your "outside voice".