Trudeau/Doonesbury betting on Obama win

D. D. Degg

Oct 31, 2008, 6:22:15 PM10/31/08
Doonesbury strips for next week, after the election,
declare Obama the winner. Story at Daily Cartoonist:
http://dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2008/10/31/wednesdays-doonesbury-places-editors-in-tough-spot/

More comic strip news at the main page
http://dailycartoonist.com/

D.D.Degg

D. D. Degg

Oct 31, 2008, 8:25:06 PM10/31/08
The Associated Press story which gives the lines to the strip,
along with some other Trudeau "controversies".
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZJ0s17V7D2jbA4sWdMW0gugpS8QD945N00O0

And here's the L.A. Times report:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-doonesbury1-2008nov01,0,2244580.story

D.D.Degg

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 31, 2008, 8:44:23 PM10/31/08

Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight.com is currently projecting a 97.2%
chance of an Obama victory. That seems like a pretty safe bet.

Interestingly, the odds of winning have gone up even as the odds of a
landslide (defined as 375 or more electoral votes) have dropped from
about 50% a week ago to 39% now.

HP Laboratories |On a scale of one to ten...
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |it sucked.
Palo Alto, CA 94304

kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 31, 2008, 8:43:54 PM10/31/08
In article <22057b81-3c9a-4dab...@a3g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

Why wouldn't a paper run it? If Obama wins, it's topical, and if McCain wins,
Republicans get to feel good and gloat -- so they're happy, and Democrats
get to go "well, his heart was in the right place", so they're happy.
Trudeau gets to give amusing interviews and Zonker and Mike get to do
mailbag strips about it.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Sherwood Harrington

Oct 31, 2008, 9:10:59 PM10/31/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't a paper run it? If Obama wins, it's topical, and if McCain wins,

> Republicans get to feel good and gloat [...]

Oh, I'm sure Dann wouldn't gloat. He'd just get all Dewey-eyed.

--
Sherwood Harrington
(Great-great-great grandson of Truman Harrington, no kidding)

Cindy Kandolf

Nov 1, 2008, 3:47:48 AM11/1/08
"D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> writes:

Trudeau has done similar things before. I can't remember which
election this was, but once he (correctly) called a Republican
candidate as the winner. Later in the week, Mark and someone else down
at the radio station were discussing the outcome, and then at the end
noted: "Of course, if he lost, we look like fools now." / "Yeah, but
it would be worth it."

When Bush the Elder lost to Clinton, Trudeau designed strips with Bush
in the White House reflecting on the outcome, with a note suggesting that
editors should check off the right option for the dialogue depending
on who won. All the options were, ahem, less than kind towards Bush I.

- Cindy Kandolf, certified language mechanic, mamma flodnak
flodmail: ci...@nethelp.no flodhome: Bærum, Norway
flodweb: http://www.flodnak.com/

D. D. Degg

Nov 1, 2008, 9:26:58 AM11/1/08
Mike Cavna asks some cartoonists who they think will
win the presidential election this coming Tuesday.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2008/10/wholl_win_the_white_house_poli.html

There seems to be a Conspiracy Theory
that Sarah Palin might occupy the Oval Office.

Being a Luddite, I can't dismiss the Diebold Theory.

D.D.Degg

Dann

Nov 1, 2008, 9:54:07 AM11/1/08
On 31 Oct 2008, Sherwood Harrington said the following in

> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn't a paper run it? If Obama wins, it's topical, and if
>> McCain wins, Republicans get to feel good and gloat [...]
>
> Oh, I'm sure Dann wouldn't gloat. He'd just get all Dewey-eyed.

ROFL!

You have no idea how much I needed that.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Brian Huntley

Nov 1, 2008, 2:59:58 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 2:47 am, Cindy Kandolf <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:

> When Bush the Elder lost to Clinton, Trudeau designed strips with Bush
> in the White House reflecting on the outcome, with a note suggesting that
> editors should check off the right option for the dialogue depending
> on who won. All the options were, ahem, less than kind towards Bush I.

Do you know if those strips are available online?

Mike Beede

Nov 1, 2008, 6:22:21 PM11/1/08
In article <gegab3$adu$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>
> > Why wouldn't a paper run it? If Obama wins, it's topical, and if McCain wins,
> > Republicans get to feel good and gloat [...]
>
> Oh, I'm sure Dann wouldn't gloat. He'd just get all Dewey-eyed.

I think it would take a true man not to gloat in that situation.

Mike Beede

Mark Irwin

Nov 1, 2008, 8:03:18 PM11/1/08
In article
<d360626f-3402-422f...@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

"D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Mike Cavna asks some cartoonists who they think will
> win the presidential election this coming Tuesday.
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2008/10/wholl_win_the_white_house
> _poli.html
>
> There seems to be a Conspiracy Theory
> that Sarah Palin might occupy the Oval Office.

Well there is <http://www.palinaspresident.us/>. It is lots of fun.
And probably the closest she'll ever get to occupying the Oval Office.

Banana Jr.

Brian Huntley

Nov 1, 2008, 8:57:57 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 5:22 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <gegab3$ad...@blue.rahul.net>,

>  Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:
>
> > Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>
> > > Why wouldn't a paper run it?  If Obama wins, it's topical, and if McCain wins,
> > > Republicans get to feel good and gloat [...]
>
> > Oh, I'm sure Dann wouldn't gloat.  He'd just get all Dewey-eyed.
>
> I think it would take a true man not to gloat in that situation.
>
>     Mike Beede

Ow! Ow! Ow!

kat >^.^<

Nov 1, 2008, 10:48:25 PM11/1/08

"Mark Irwin" <ir...@markirwin.net> wrote in message

Check it every day for something new! Don't forget to click several times on
things--sometimes third time's the charm...
>^.^<

racs...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2008, 11:18:20 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 6:22 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <gegab3$ad...@blue.rahul.net>,
>  Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:
>
> > Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>
> > > Why wouldn't a paper run it?  If Obama wins, it's topical, and if McCain wins,
> > > Republicans get to feel good and gloat [...]
>
> > Oh, I'm sure Dann wouldn't gloat.  He'd just get all Dewey-eyed.
>
> I think it would take a true man not to gloat in that situation.

Oh, it's getting a little hairy now ...

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

LNER...@juno.com

Nov 1, 2008, 11:25:23 PM11/1/08

> Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight.com is currently projecting a 97.2%
> chance of an Obama victory.  That seems like a pretty safe bet.

*And Nate Silver's track record at this kind of prediction
is...........????????? I mean, I think one time, as something of a
farce in 1992 or 1996, Rush Limbaugh surveyed callers to his show on
Election Day and came out with a 100% Republican win.............

D. D. Degg

Nov 1, 2008, 11:33:50 PM11/1/08
LNER4 wrote:
> > Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight.com is currently projecting a 97.2%
> > chance of an Obama victory.
> *And Nate Silver's track record at this kind of prediction
> is...........????????? I mean, I think one time, as something of a
> farce in 1992 or 1996, Rush Limbaugh surveyed callers to his show on
> Election Day and came out with a 100% Republican win.............

I believe a recent Fox News survey of their audience
projected an overwhelming McCain victory come Tuesday.

D.D.Degg

George Peatty

Nov 2, 2008, 8:56:48 AM11/2/08
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:33:50 -0700 (PDT), "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I believe a recent Fox News survey of their audience

>projected an overwhelming McCain victory come Tuesday.

I dunno about overwhelming, but if the Obama people believe their guy is a
shoo-in and follow their typical voting patterns, there will be lots of
weeping and gnashing of teeth on Wednesday morning ..

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 2, 2008, 9:50:17 AM11/2/08

In the previous article, George Peatty <peattyg...@copper.net>

wrote:
> >I believe a recent Fox News survey of their audience
> >projected an overwhelming McCain victory come Tuesday.
>
> I dunno about overwhelming, but if the Obama people believe their
> guy is a shoo-in and follow their typical voting patterns, there
> will be lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth on Wednesday morning ..

Overconfidence combined with long lines, the Bradley effect and the
possibility of some late-breaking undecideds veering right could all
combine to create the electoral surprise of most of our lifetimes. I
might take the short end of a 5:1 bet on the matter. Weirder things
have certainly happened.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 1:00:52 PM11/2/08

In article <nacrg49cgjgp3i14l...@4ax.com>,

"their typical voting patterns"? You mean, getting arrested for driving
a vanload of senior citizens from the old folks home to the polling place,
or getting to the polling place only to find that they have been struck
from the roles, there are no more ballots to be had, or that the touch
screen machine keeps flipping their vote to the republican candidate?

Expect riots if that is what decides this election.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 1:26:44 PM11/2/08

In article <94b8ab99-c0c6-4009...@z18g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

FiveThirtyEight.com uses all the polls, so it isn't like a particular
nutcase polling his own fans. Also, they base the victory probability
on hundreds of thousands of simulations in which the turnout in each
state drifts from the poll results by random amounts.

In order to win the electoral vote, McCain would have to prevent Barrack
from winning any one of Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado,
or Nevada. Nevada alone could give Obama a tie--after which things get
really weird.

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 1:37:42 PM11/2/08

In article <gej4dp$nhe$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

kat >^.^ <" <tr...@charter.com> wrote:

>"Mark Irwin" <ir...@markirwin.net> wrote in message
>> In article
>> <d360626f-3402-422f...@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
>> "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Cavna asks some cartoonists who they think will
>>> win the presidential election this coming Tuesday.
>>>
>http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2008/10/wholl_win_the_white_house
>>> _poli.html
>>>
>>> There seems to be a Conspiracy Theory
>>> that Sarah Palin might occupy the Oval Office.
>>
>> Well there is <http://www.palinaspresident.us/>. It is lots of fun.
>> And probably the closest she'll ever get to occupying the Oval Office.
>
>Check it every day for something new! Don't forget to click several times on
>things--sometimes third time's the charm...

Particularly the door. It opens to at least five possibilities, some of
which...do something...when you click on them again.

I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?

Mark Irwin

Nov 2, 2008, 1:49:13 PM11/2/08
In article <geks1m$gbh$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

> In article <gej4dp$nhe$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
> kat >^.^ <" <tr...@charter.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Mark Irwin" <ir...@markirwin.net> wrote in message
> >> In article
> >> <d360626f-3402-422f...@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

> >http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2008/10/wholl_win_the_white_hous

> >> Well there is <http://www.palinaspresident.us/>. It is lots of fun.
> >> And probably the closest she'll ever get to occupying the Oval Office.
> >
> >Check it every day for something new! Don't forget to click several times on
> >things--sometimes third time's the charm...
>
> Particularly the door. It opens to at least five possibilities, some of
> which...do something...when you click on them again.
>
> I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?

I just saw it wandering past the windows.

Banana Jr.

ps Maverick!

kat >^.^<

Nov 2, 2008, 5:06:08 PM11/2/08

"Paul Ciszek" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Particularly the door. It opens to at least five possibilities, some of
> which...do something...when you click on them again.
>
> I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?
>
> --
> Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
> pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
> Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

It strolls past the windows about 30 seconds after you start watching.
Have you noticed the drip on the desk? Lipstick on the pitbull? A National
Treasure comment?
And what is made of 100% Alaskan Sealpup skin?
kat >^.^<
Lurker

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 6:57:27 PM11/2/08

In article <gel88h$lmm$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

kat >^.^ <" <tr...@charter.com> wrote:

>"Paul Ciszek" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Particularly the door. It opens to at least five possibilities, some of
>> which...do something...when you click on them again.
>>
>> I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?
>
>It strolls past the windows about 30 seconds after you start watching.
>Have you noticed the drip on the desk?

A drip on the desk? No. There is some figurine I can't identify that
falls off of the desk.

> Lipstick on the pitbull?

Yep.

>A National Treasure comment?

Yep.

>And what is made of 100% Alaskan Sealpup skin?

The carpet, near as I can tell.

Michael G. Koerner

Nov 2, 2008, 7:59:05 PM11/2/08

Very true, man, very true.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

kat >^.^<

Nov 2, 2008, 8:13:05 PM11/2/08

> A drip on the desk? No. There is some figurine I can't identify that
> falls off of the desk.
>

> --
> Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
> pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
> Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

Next to the figurine (I haven't figured out if it does anything else, but it
doesn't appear to do so) is a puddle of water. Look at it for a few seconds
and you will see a drip...drip...drip...
and don't forget to click on the statuette of Justice. Several times.
and the globe, too.
kat >^.^<

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 10:07:51 PM11/2/08

In article <gelj73$462$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

kat >^.^ <" <tr...@charter.com> wrote:

>"Paul Ciszek" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> A drip on the desk? No. There is some figurine I can't identify that
>> falls off of the desk.
>
>Next to the figurine (I haven't figured out if it does anything else, but it
>doesn't appear to do so) is a puddle of water. Look at it for a few seconds
>and you will see a drip...drip...drip...

And when you click on it, Joe the Plumber's van pulls up outside. Cute.

>and don't forget to click on the statuette of Justice. Several times.
>and the globe, too.

Did. This thing is like an advent calendar for godless Democrats.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Heather Kendrick

Nov 2, 2008, 10:36:36 PM11/2/08
In article <geks1m$gbh$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

> I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?

I saw it fairly quickly, but I don't actually know what I did to make it
appear.

Heather

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Nov 3, 2008, 12:09:56 AM11/3/08
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:00:52 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <nacrg49cgjgp3i14l...@4ax.com>,
>George Peatty <peattyg...@copper.net> wrote:
>>On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:33:50 -0700 (PDT), "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I believe a recent Fox News survey of their audience
>>>projected an overwhelming McCain victory come Tuesday.
>>
>>I dunno about overwhelming, but if the Obama people believe their guy is a
>>shoo-in and follow their typical voting patterns, there will be lots of
>>weeping and gnashing of teeth on Wednesday morning ..
>
>"their typical voting patterns"? You mean, getting arrested for driving
>a vanload of senior citizens from the old folks home to the polling place,
>or getting to the polling place only to find that they have been struck
>from the roles, there are no more ballots to be had, or that the touch
>screen machine keeps flipping their vote to the republican candidate?
>
>Expect riots if that is what decides this election.

The massive early voting, and dispoportionately Democratic early
voting too boot, would be a sign that "typical voting patterns" are
out the window for this election . . .

Hopefully, this line of swag won't prove to be a jinx:

<http://www.cafepress.com/stephaniemiller/6105221>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

kat >^.^<

Nov 3, 2008, 12:26:50 AM11/3/08

"Heather Kendrick" <bunny...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Patience. That's all it takes.
Have you turned off the lights lately?

--
kat >^.^<
Rhinelander, WI

Sherwood Harrington

Nov 3, 2008, 1:36:54 AM11/3/08
"kat >^.^<" <tr...@charter.com> wrote:

> "Heather Kendrick" <bunny...@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> In article <geks1m$gbh$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>> nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>>
>>> I've heard rumours about a dinosaur. Has anyone seen it?
>>
>> I saw it fairly quickly, but I don't actually know what I did to make it
>> appear.
>>
>> Heather

> Patience. That's all it takes.
> Have you turned off the lights lately?

Spooky. And, if it happens, pretty damn' straight talk.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Message has been deleted

Evan Kirshenbaum

Nov 6, 2008, 9:11:25 PM11/6/08
LNER...@juno.com writes:

>> Nate Silver at FiveThirtyEight.com is currently projecting a 97.2%
>> chance of an Obama victory.  That seems like a pretty safe bet.
>>
> *And Nate Silver's track record at this kind of prediction
> is...........?????????

In retrospect, he did pretty well. I don't have final numbers, but he
called every state correctly except Indiana, where the choice of who
won was within his margin of error.

More significantly, based on numbers I pulled yesterday, there were
only six "states" (totalling 24 electoral votes) where Obama's
percentages didn't match his prediction to within his margin of error.
In four of those (DC, Hawaii, Vermont, and Nevada, he missed by
underpredicting Obama's support. Only Alaska and Arkasas went for
Obama significantly less than he predicted. In 22 states, he was
within a percentage point; in 37 states, he was within two percentage
points.

HP Laboratories |If to "man" a phone implies handing
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |it over to a person of the male
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |gender, then to "monitor" it
|suggests handing it over to a
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |lizard.
(650)857-7572 | Rohan Oberoi

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/