Comic strips animated

Charles Brubaker

Oct 7, 2008, 12:41:08 AM10/7/08
With the news that Bleeker the Rechargable Dog is optioned to be
animated, I was wondering. Is there a complete list of North American
comic strips that got turned into a TV series?

To start with...(yes, I realize there are countless such lists on
RACS, but one more couldn't hurt)

TV SERIES

Beetle Bailey
Snuffy Smith and Barney Google
Krazy Kat (not counting the theatrical run)
Popeye (three series, not counting the theatrical run)
Heathcliff
Marmaduke (shared with Heathcliff)
Garfield
U.S. Acres (shared with Garfield)
Mother Goose and Grimm
Baby Blues
Dick Tracy" (two series; second one part of Archie's TV Funnies)
The Captain and the Kids (part of Archie's TV Funnies and Fabulous
Funnies)
Emmy Lou (part of Archie's TV Funnies)
Nancy (part of Archie's TV Funnies and Fabulous Funnies)
The Dropouts (part of Archie's TV Funnies)
Moon Mullins (part of Archie's TV Funnies)
Smokey Stover (part of Archie's TV Funnies)
Broom-Hilda (part of Archie's TV Funnies and Fabulous Funnies)
Alley Oop (part of Fabulous Funnies)
Tumbleweeds (part of Fabulous Funnies; one episode only)
Dennis the Menace (three series; first one part of "Curiosity Shop")
B.C. (part of "Curiosity Shop")
The Wizard of Id (part of "Curiosity Shop")
Miss Peach (part of "Curiosity Shop")
Dilbert
Maakies (part of SNL)
and of course, "Peanuts"

The list will probably expand when we include TV specials.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 7, 2008, 11:19:27 AM10/7/08
Charles Brubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> writes:

Boondocks (USA, 2005)
Mafalda (Argentina, 1965)
Blondie and Dagwood (USA, 1987)

IMDB lists a 2000 South African "Madam & Eve", but they don't say that
it's animated.

HP Laboratories |If a bus station is where a bus
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |stops, and a train station is where
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |a train stops, what does that say
|about a workstation?
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Beefies

Oct 7, 2008, 12:16:16 PM10/7/08
"Charles Brubaker" <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> With the news that Bleeker the Rechargable Dog is optioned to be
> animated, I was wondering. Is there a complete list of North American
> comic strips that got turned into a TV series?

I think several episodes of an animated "For Better or For Worse" series
were made in shown in Canada. Don't know how many or when, though.

I imagine some series will fall into a gray area. For example, "Archie,"
"Batman," "Superman," "Tarzan," "Zorro," and "The Lone Ranger" were all
comic strips before becoming animated TV series but didn't originate as
either.

Many went the other way, from animated series to comic strip: Jetson,
Flintstones, Simpsons, a lot of Hanna-Barbera properties (Yogi Bear,
Huckleberry Hound, etc.). I realize that wasn't your question.

It's a long list of cross-pollination!

Brian F.
http://brianfies.blogspot.com

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 7, 2008, 1:09:09 PM10/7/08
"Beefies" <brianfi...@comcast.net> writes:

> "Charles Brubaker" <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> With the news that Bleeker the Rechargable Dog is optioned to be
>> animated, I was wondering. Is there a complete list of North American
>> comic strips that got turned into a TV series?
>
> I think several episodes of an animated "For Better or For Worse" series
> were made in shown in Canada. Don't know how many or when, though.

Sixteen, apparently.

http://www.tv.com/for-better-or-for-worse/show/10996/episode.html

The dates there don't make much sense, but IMDB says 2000. The
synopses break each episode into "early", "growing", and "later", so
it sounds as though each one had stories from various parts of the
strip's run.

HP Laboratories |It's not coherent, it's merely
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |focused.
Palo Alto, CA 94304 | Keith Moore

kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 7, 2008, 1:24:03 PM10/7/08
Evan Kirshenbaum <kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> writes:

Then, of course, there's "Robotman and Friends".

http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Want-Be-Your/dp/B000EP0J1G/
http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Straight-Heart-Vhs/dp/B000SI1EHM/

I've never seen the cartoon, but while the character design is clearly
based on the character in the strip (or vice versa?) I suspect that
nothing else was actually taken from the strip.

HP Laboratories |The look on our faces isn't confusion.
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |It's disbelief.
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |
| Jon Stewart
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Charles Brubaker

Oct 7, 2008, 1:33:04 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 12:24 pm, Evan Kirshenbaum <kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> Evan Kirshenbaum <kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com> writes:
>     kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com
>     (650)857-7572
>
>    http://www.kirshenbaum.net/- Hide quoted text -

It's the other way around. Robotman the Comic Strip was based on those
animated cartoons.

The cartoons failed, but the comic strip lived on.

Evan Kirshenbaum

Oct 7, 2008, 2:18:13 PM10/7/08
Charles Brubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 7, 12:24 pm, Evan Kirshenbaum <kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>> Then, of course, there's "Robotman and Friends".
>>
>>  http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Want-Be-Your/dp/B000EP0J1G/
>>  http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Straight-Heart-Vhs/dp/B000SI1EHM/
>>
>> I've never seen the cartoon, but while the character design is clearly
>> based on the character in the strip (or vice versa?) I suspect that
>> nothing else was actually taken from the strip.
>

> It's the other way around. Robotman the Comic Strip was based on
> those animated cartoons.
>
> The cartoons failed, but the comic strip lived on.

Ah. And I think I knew that. There was something about Meddick
owning the merchandising rights to all the characters except for
Robotman himself that led to the name change and to Robotman's
eventual departure, right?

HP Laboratories |Those who would give up essential
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |Liberty, to purchase a little
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |temporary Safety, deserve neither
|Liberty nor Safety.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Benjamin Franklin
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Pat O'Neill

Oct 7, 2008, 4:28:29 PM10/7/08

There were two Pogo specials. The first, in 1969, "The Pogo Birthday
Special" was produced and directed by Chuck Jones and featured June
Foray (Rocky the Flying Squirrel) as Pogo and Hepzibah, Les Tremayne
as Churchy La Femme and Beauregard, Jones himself as Porky Pine and
Bun Rab, and Walt Kelly as P.T. Bridgeport, Albert and Howland Owl.

The second, in 1980, was "Pogo for President: I Go Pogo" and done in 3-
D animation with the voices of Skip Hinnant (Pogo), Stan Freberg
(Albert), Arnold Stang (Churchy), and Jonathan Winters (Porky).

racs...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2008, 6:31:34 PM10/7/08

Hazel -- five seasons, 1961-66.

I couldn't stand it, even at 11, but it was very popular. We did like
the name "Bobby Buntrock," however.

Good to know Skip Hinnant got some work beyond the Electric Company.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Pat O'Neill

Oct 7, 2008, 7:02:14 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 6:31 pm, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

If we're going to start including live-action series, then:

Dennis the Menace (with Jay North)
Flash Gordon (German-produced, syndicated in the US, and then the
recent Sci-Fi Channel series)
Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard and Erin Gray)
Steve Canyon (syndicated, starring Dean Fredericks)
Blondie (two series, the first with the stars of the movie series--
Arthur Lake and Pamela Britton; the second had Will Hutchins and
Patricia Harty)
Terry and the Pirates (syndicated)

I'm sure if I did a search on imdb I'd come up with more.

agrgurich

Oct 7, 2008, 7:34:36 PM10/7/08
> I'm sure if I did a search on imdb I'd come up with more.- Hide quoted text -

Penny Singleton was Blondie in the movie series. AJG

Mark Jackson

Oct 7, 2008, 8:14:00 PM10/7/08
Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
> Charles Brubaker <cbru...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Oct 7, 12:24 pm, Evan Kirshenbaum <kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>>> Then, of course, there's "Robotman and Friends".
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Want-Be-Your/dp/B000EP0J1G/
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Robotman-Friends-Straight-Heart-Vhs/dp/B000SI1EHM/
>>>
>>> I've never seen the cartoon, but while the character design is clearly
>>> based on the character in the strip (or vice versa?) I suspect that
>>> nothing else was actually taken from the strip.
>> It's the other way around. Robotman the Comic Strip was based on
>> those animated cartoons.
>>
>> The cartoons failed, but the comic strip lived on.
>
> Ah. And I think I knew that. There was something about Meddick
> owning the merchandising rights to all the characters except for
> Robotman himself that led to the name change and to Robotman's
> eventual departure, right?

"(In a mid-2001 interview with /Hogan's Alley/, Meddick said he removed
Robotman from the strip at United Media's request. Apparently
newspapers that had picked up Robotman thinking it was a kids' strip
would complain when a more adult joke came along.)"

http://alumni.caltech.edu/~mjackson/comicsFAQ.txt

I've always believed that America's government was a
unique political system - one designed by geniuses so
that it could be run by idiots. I was wrong.
- Thomas Friedman

trnco...@aol.com

Oct 7, 2008, 9:56:17 PM10/7/08
"Committed" "Wee Pals" and "Free for All" were turned into animated
series; Cathy, Doonesbury and Bloom County (aka "Opus 'n' Bill") had
animated specials. There were "Miss Peach" specials back in the 70s--
an actress played Miss Peach, puppets played the rest. IIRC, the
Thanksgiving special had a turkey spared from the ax impersonate Frank
Sinatra in the school pageant.

Going the other way--"Rugrats" of course, also "Sesame Street" in the
1970s.

trnco...@aol.com

Oct 7, 2008, 9:59:18 PM10/7/08
On Oct 7, 9:56�pm, trncobr...@aol.com wrote:

> Going the other way--"Rugrats" of course, also "Sesame Street" in the
> 1970s.

Also "Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist" and Pokemon.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 8, 2008, 12:25:12 AM10/8/08
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:09:09 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
<kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>"Beefies" <brianfi...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> "Charles Brubaker" <cbru...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> With the news that Bleeker the Rechargable Dog is optioned to be
>>> animated, I was wondering. Is there a complete list of North American
>>> comic strips that got turned into a TV series?
>>
>> I think several episodes of an animated "For Better or For Worse" series
>> were made in shown in Canada. Don't know how many or when, though.
>
>Sixteen, apparently.
>
> http://www.tv.com/for-better-or-for-worse/show/10996/episode.html
>
>The dates there don't make much sense, but IMDB says 2000. The
>synopses break each episode into "early", "growing", and "later", so
>it sounds as though each one had stories from various parts of the
>strip's run.

All available on DVD, which I happen to have!

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Pat O'Neill

Oct 8, 2008, 8:25:41 AM10/8/08

You are correct; my mistake.