Please explain Something Positive to me...

Paul Ciszek

Jun 5, 2008, 2:40:06 AM6/5/08
http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05312008.shtml

OK, I know that cynical negativity is what this strip is made of,
but I don't get what the girl's mother is being cynically negative
about. Her daughter has "had a rough few months", but when Rory
gave her a picture of a pony, it made her happy. What's her gripe?

--
Please reply to: | "Evolution is a theory that accounts
pciszek at panix dot com | for variety, not superiority."

momc...@hotmail.com

Jun 5, 2008, 3:42:52 AM6/5/08
On Jun 5, 2:40 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05312008.shtml
>
> OK, I know that cynical negativity is what this strip is made of,
> but I don't get what the girl's mother is being cynically negative
> about.  Her daughter has "had a rough few months", but when Rory
> gave her a picture of a pony, it made her happy.  What's her gripe?

The fact that she's going to have to hear her daughter chattering
about the picture (or to hear her chattering at all; the implication
is that giving the daughter something to chatter about requires a
groveling apology.)

Freezer

Jun 5, 2008, 9:01:18 AM6/5/08
If I don't respond to this Paul Ciszek post, the terrorists win.

> http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05312008.shtml
>
> OK, I know that cynical negativity is what this strip is made of,
> but I don't get what the girl's mother is being cynically negative
> about. Her daughter has "had a rough few months", but when Rory
> gave her a picture of a pony, it made her happy. What's her gripe?

Probably the idea that that gift is something the mom will have to
match or surpass in the near future, else face the whiny disappointment
of said kidlet.

Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
some degree.

--
My name is:
____ _

Beefies

Jun 5, 2008, 10:53:10 AM6/5/08
> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
> some degree.

You can tell it's hip, modern, on-the-edge cartooning by the use of
"fucking." This is a tool in the Cartoonist's Toolbox that previous
generations of cartoonists could only dream of having. It makes everything
better. For example:

"Good ol' Charlie Brown! How I fucking hate him!"

"We have met the fucking enemy and he is us!"

"I hate fucking Mondays."

"Fuck you, Red Baron!"

Excuse me, I have to go do some rewriting.

Brian F. (guess what the "F" stands for)
momscancer.com
momscancer.blogspot.com

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Jun 5, 2008, 11:22:24 AM6/5/08

However, I would totally understand it if you decided to retitle your
Magnum Opus as "Mom's F*ing Cancer".

Nick Theodorakis

Jun 5, 2008, 12:28:59 PM6/5/08
On Jun 5, 9:01 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
> some degree.

Everyone except Davan's parents, who seem to be the most likable
characters in the strip (which is probably explains why one is dead
and the other one is ill).

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 5, 2008, 1:08:16 PM6/5/08
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:53:10 -0700, Beefies sez:

> Brian F. (guess what the "F" stands for) momscancer.com
> momscancer.blogspot.com

POTY nominee, and the cause of many fluids spewing from my various
orifices.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Sherwood Harrington

Jun 5, 2008, 1:49:15 PM6/5/08
Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:53:10 -0700, Beefies sez:

>> Brian F. (guess what the "F" stands for) momscancer.com
>> momscancer.blogspot.com

> POTY nominee, and the cause of many fluids spewing from my various
> orifices.

I agree.

Until he was 75, my Dad never used even mild profanity, at least not
around the family, and probably not much anywhere else. I remember his
deep distress and anger when he played a brand-new Kingston Trio album, the one
with "Greenback Dollar," and found that "I don't give a damn about a
greenback dollar" actually had "damn" in it, not the "hmmm" on the airplay
version. That album went into the trash real quick.

When he was the above-mentioned age, though, he was driving me someplace
around their retirement home in Florida, when he referred to some
particularly irksome aspect of Florida life as "frigging." I almost
fainted.

Brian's post, in addition to being funny as h-e-double-toothpicks, had
much the same effect on me -- because I don't think this forum had ever
seen him do it. That was something about rhetoric that I tried to teach
my sons: certain words have a tremendous effect if used rarely, but no
effect at all if used frequently.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Mark Jackson

Jun 5, 2008, 5:11:10 PM6/5/08
Sherwood Harrington wrote:
> Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:53:10 -0700, Beefies sez:
>
>>> Brian F. (guess what the "F" stands for) momscancer.com
>>> momscancer.blogspot.com
>
>> POTY nominee, and the cause of many fluids spewing from my various
>> orifices.
>
> I agree.
>
> Until he was 75, my Dad never used even mild profanity, at least not
> around the family, and probably not much anywhere else. I remember his
> deep distress and anger when he played a brand-new Kingston Trio album, the one
> with "Greenback Dollar," and found that "I don't give a damn about a
> greenback dollar" actually had "damn" in it, not the "hmmm" on the airplay
> version. That album went into the trash real quick.

Back in high school - first half of the 1960s, Southern California -
they had a folksinger in for a school assembly. At the time these were
held in two parts, the new auditorium not having yet been completed. At
the first session the guy sang "Greenback Dollar" as above; between
"sets" the Boys' Vice-Principal drew him aside and told him that if he
said "damn" again he wouldn't be paid for the gig.

Which doubtless explains why, at the *second* half-assembly, he
encouraged - and got - enthusiastic sing-along participation from the
students. . . .

Men become civilized, not in proportion to their
willingness to believe, but in proportion to their
readiness to doubt. - H. L. Mencken

Freezer

Jun 5, 2008, 6:54:27 PM6/5/08
If I don't respond to this Nick Theodorakis post, the terrorists win.

> On Jun 5, 9:01 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
>> some degree.
>>

> Everyone except Davan's parents, who seem to be the most likable
> characters in the strip (which is probably explains why one is dead
> and the other one is ill).

Faye, *maybe.* But Fred makes it clear that Davan's apple didn't fall
very far from the tree.

Dann

Jun 6, 2008, 6:59:26 AM6/6/08
On 05 Jun 2008, Nick Theodorakis said the following in news:e31f3ffb-
875f-4da4-8ee...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com.

> On Jun 5, 9:01 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
>> some degree.
>>

> Everyone except Davan's parents, who seem to be the most likable
> characters in the strip (which is probably explains why one is dead
> and the other one is ill).

Is this some remote branch of the Winkerbean family?

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Freezer

Jun 6, 2008, 7:01:17 AM6/6/08
If I don't respond to this Dann post, the terrorists win.

> On 05 Jun 2008, Nick Theodorakis said the following in
> 875f-4da4-8ee...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com.
>
>> On Jun 5, 9:01 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic
>>> asshole to some degree.
>>>

>> Everyone except Davan's parents, who seem to be the most likable
>> characters in the strip (which is probably explains why one is
>> dead and the other one is ill).
>
> Is this some remote branch of the Winkerbean family?

Probably not: The MacIntyres are actually funny.

Message has been deleted

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 11, 2008, 2:41:31 AM6/11/08
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:44:14 +0200, Aleks A.-Lessmann
<XaXlX...@lessmann-consulting.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 07:53:10 -0700, Beefies wrote:
>
>>> Of course, this is S*P, where every one is a misanthropic asshole to
>>> some degree.
>>You can tell it's hip, modern, on-the-edge cartooning by the use of
>

>Hip? Modern? On The Edge?
>I dunno. Funny mean, and often enough to the point?
>
>Abso-F-lutely.
>Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and all that, and the Page that
>started this thread was as good as others.

Exactly why it's one of my faves!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer