Oscar-nominated movies based on comics

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 1, 2006, 4:02:37 AM2/1/06
The following is a list of all movies based on comics (including
graphic novels) or single-panel cartoons which have been nominated for
Academy Awards, and the categories they were nominated in, as updated
through the nominations for 2005.

SKIPPY (1931) -- 4 nominations, 1 win
director ** Winner **
picture
actor
adapted screenplay

POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS SINDBAD THE SAILOR (1936) -- 1 nomination
cartoon short

SUPERMAN (1941) -- 1 nomination
cartoon short

LI'L ABNER (1959) -- 1 nomination
scoring of a musical picture

A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN (1969) -- 1 nomination
original song score

THE DOONESBURY SPECIAL (1977) -- 1 nomination
animated short

SUPERMAN (1978) -- 3 nominations + 1 special achievement award
special achievement award for visual effects ** Winner **
sound
original score
film editing

ANNIE (1982) -- 2 nominations
art direction
original song score and its adaptation or adaptation score

BATMAN (1989) -- 1 nomination, 1 win
art direction ** Winner **

DICK TRACY (1990) -- 7 nominations, 3 wins
art direction ** Winner **
song ** Winner **
makeup ** Winner **
supporting actor
cinematography
sound
costume design

THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1991) -- 1 nomination
costume design

BATMAN RETURNS (1992) -- 2 nominations
makeup
visual effects

ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES (1993) -- 1 nomination
art direction

BATMAN FOREVER (1995) -- 3 nominations
cinematography
sound
sound effects editing

MEN IN BLACK (1997) -- 3 nominations, 1 win
makeup ** Winner **
art direction
musical or comedy score

GHOST WORLD (2001) -- 1 nomination
adapted screenplay

ROAD TO PERDITION (2002) -- 6 nominations, 1 win
cinematography ** Winner **
supporting actor
art direction
score
sound
sound editing

SPIDER-MAN (2002) -- 2 nominations
sound
visual effects

AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003) -- 1 nomination
adapted screenplay

SPIDER-MAN 2 (2004) -- 3 nominations, 1 win
visual effects ** Winner **
sound editing
sound mixing

BATMAN BEGINS (2005) -- 1 nomination
cinematography

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (2005) -- 2 nominations
supporting actor
adapted screenplay

Notes:
SKIPPY competed in the 1930-31 Oscars because the award was not given
on a calendar year schedule at that time.
A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN competed in the 1970 Oscars; I don't know the
circumstances but I assume that its Los Angeles release did not occur
until 1970.
All other movies listed competed in the Oscars for their year of
release as listed above.

Thanks to Chris Lee for providing information used in this list.

Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

nickelshrink

Feb 1, 2006, 9:56:07 AM2/1/06
THIS is an absolutely cool list.

--
pax
ruth

--
Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

Peter B. Steiger

Feb 1, 2006, 10:48:32 AM2/1/06
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:02:37 -0800, Joshua Kreitzer sez:

> The following is a list of all movies based on comics (including graphic
> novels) or single-panel cartoons which have been nominated for Academy
> Awards, and the categories they were nominated in, as updated through the
> nominations for 2005.

What, no Howard The Duck? I loved that movie (and the comics)! Critics
don't know quality when it quacks right at them.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Bill Lentz

Feb 1, 2006, 11:06:44 AM2/1/06
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:48:32 -0700, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:02:37 -0800, Joshua Kreitzer sez:
>
>> The following is a list of all movies based on comics (including graphic
>> novels) or single-panel cartoons which have been nominated for Academy
>> Awards, and the categories they were nominated in, as updated through the
>> nominations for 2005.
>
>What, no Howard The Duck? I loved that movie (and the comics)! Critics
>don't know quality when it quacks right at them.

I've got a an extremely rare copy of HTD # 1 that I'll let you have
for a song!

Bill
(Actually, now that I think about it, my ex-wife has it, so never
mind.)

George Peatty

Feb 1, 2006, 11:19:10 AM2/1/06
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>What, no Howard The Duck? I loved that movie (and the comics)! Critics
>don't know quality when it quacks right at them.

You and I are two of the 16 people who saw that movie, and the only two
AFAIK who liked it ..

John Duncan Yoyo

Feb 1, 2006, 1:10:03 PM2/1/06

Did the market ever stabilize for HTD#1? It was one of the first
books to get bid up beyond all reason.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Feb 1, 2006, 1:10:03 PM2/1/06
In article <c5u1u1h8ktceh0h93...@4ax.com>,

John Duncan Yoyo <john-dun...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:06:44 -0600, Bill Lentz
><ble...@negatorygoodbuddy.prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:48:32 -0700, "Peter B. Steiger"
>><see...@for.email.address> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:02:37 -0800, Joshua Kreitzer sez:

>>>What, no Howard The Duck? I loved that movie (and the comics)! Critics
>>>don't know quality when it quacks right at them.
>>
>>I've got a an extremely rare copy of HTD # 1 that I'll let you have
>>for a song!
>>
>>Bill
>>(Actually, now that I think about it, my ex-wife has it, so never
>>mind.)
>
>Did the market ever stabilize for HTD#1? It was one of the first
>books to get bid up beyond all reason.
>--
>John Duncan Yoyo

The Cola SC "The State" actually carried the HTD comic strip for a
few months in the late 70s to the bemusement of most everyone
involved. IIRC, the villian of the run we got was "Pop Psych". The 70s:
gotta love 'em.

Ted

Lee K. Seitz

Feb 1, 2006, 1:52:47 PM2/1/06
In article <pqn1u1lnljeqfjh45...@4ax.com>,

A lot more than 16 people *saw* it, but only 16 will *admit* to it
today.

--
lkseitz (Lee K. Seitz) .at. hiwaay @dot@ net
"I feel that if a person can't communicate, the very least he can do

Bill Lentz

Feb 1, 2006, 3:18:31 PM2/1/06
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:10:03 -0500, John Duncan Yoyo
<john-dun...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:06:44 -0600, Bill Lentz
><ble...@negatorygoodbuddy.prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:48:32 -0700, "Peter B. Steiger"
>><see...@for.email.address> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:02:37 -0800, Joshua Kreitzer sez:

>>>What, no Howard The Duck? I loved that movie (and the comics)! Critics
>>>don't know quality when it quacks right at them.
>>
>>I've got a an extremely rare copy of HTD # 1 that I'll let you have
>>for a song!
>>
>>Bill
>>(Actually, now that I think about it, my ex-wife has it, so never
>>mind.)
>
>Did the market ever stabilize for HTD#1? It was one of the first
>books to get bid up beyond all reason.

I think you can pick them up for less than original cover. A quick
look at Ebay shows several listed with no bids on them.