Cathy this week

Welmoed

Sep 16, 2008, 8:49:03 AM9/16/08
I'm not sure if this strip jumped the shark once Cathy got married,
but this week's strips about the non-fitting shoes leads me to suspect
that we're about to find out she is pregnant.
I remember all too well when I was pregnant with kid #1 that my feet
grew very early on in the process.
--Welmoed

cryptoguy

Sep 16, 2008, 1:11:13 PM9/16/08

Cathy's getting married allowed Guisewite access to new veins of
stereotype to mine. I don't think the humor improved much, but
the repetition rate went down.

Having a baby is the next logical step in the process. OTOH, I
don't think the strip is that much into this kind of subtle
foreshadowing.

Peter Trei

Joseph Nebus

Sep 16, 2008, 4:33:02 PM9/16/08
cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> writes:

>On Sep 16, 8:49=A0am, Welmoed <welm...@familysisson.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this strip jumped the shark once Cathy got married,
>> but this week's strips about the non-fitting shoes leads me to suspect
>> that we're about to find out she is pregnant.
>> I remember all too well when I was pregnant with kid #1 that my feet
>> grew very early on in the process.

>Cathy's getting married allowed Guisewite access to new veins of
>stereotype to mine. I don't think the humor improved much, but
>the repetition rate went down.

I'd agree with this assessment. The strip didn't get better,
exactly, but it moved on to a different set of excessively overused
jokes, so that it at least looked a bit fresher. It's kind of like
what happened when the dog was added.

>Having a baby is the next logical step in the process. OTOH, I
>don't think the strip is that much into this kind of subtle
>foreshadowing.

That it might be foreshadowing Cathy Getting Pregnant hadn't
occurred to me. I'd assumed it was just another version of the Cathy
Eats Too Much and the Cathy Buys Clothes She Can't Fit In [1] jokes.
However, it does seem like it would be a logical way of opening up the
action in the comic strip, and if it started out with the shoe thing,
that's not a bad starting point.

[1] One 'Clothes She Can't Fit In' joke that I did like, as
evidenced by the fact I remember it years on, was the observation that
nothing really makes you feel like you've got to lose weight like the
stiff, uncomfortable, never-well-fitting clothes to dress decently for
work, and nothing makes you feel less like you need to lose weight like
changing into loose, flexible, easy-fitting sweatpants and shirt for
the gym.

--
Joseph Nebus

Renee

Sep 17, 2008, 6:21:47 PM9/17/08

I thought Cathy was in her fifties or sixities.

Renee

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 17, 2008, 9:58:11 PM9/17/08

In the previous article, Renee <rjef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this strip jumped the shark once Cathy got married,
> > but this week's strips about the non-fitting shoes leads me to
> > suspect that we're about to find out she is pregnant. I remember
> > all too well when I was pregnant with kid #1 that my feet grew very
> > early on in the process. --Welmoed
>
> I thought Cathy was in her fifties or sixities.

I was going to make a wiseass remark about that myself, but of course
it would just have brought the usual reminders about "comic strip
time" (and rightly so).

But "comic time" or no, clearly she's gotten married a little later in
life than even the current average, and she *has* to be in her
forties, I would think. So here's Cathy Guisewite's chance to given
Lynn Johnston a a lesson in "pioneering" on the funny page: give
Cathy a Down's baby. (And topical, too!)
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Renee

Sep 18, 2008, 6:04:53 PM9/18/08
On Sep 17, 8:58 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:

> In the previous article, Renee <rjeffr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure if this strip jumped the shark once Cathy got married,
> > > but this week's strips about the non-fitting shoes leads me to
> > > suspect that we're about to find out she is pregnant.  I remember
> > > all too well when I was pregnant with kid #1 that my feet grew very
> > > early on in the process.  --Welmoed
>
> > I thought Cathy was in her fifties or sixities.
>
> I was going to make a wiseass remark about that myself, but of course
> it would just have brought the usual reminders about "comic strip
> time" (and rightly so).
>
> But "comic time" or no, clearly she's gotten married a little later in
> life than even the current average, and she *has* to be in her
> forties, I would think.  So here's Cathy Guisewite's chance to given
> Lynn Johnston a a lesson in "pioneering" on the funny page:  give
> Cathy a Down's baby.  (And topical, too!)
> --
>   _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \      /  bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------­---'

Cathy can't handle a bigger shoe size. I'd hate to see her with a
disabled child.

Renee

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 2:03:08 AM9/19/08
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:49:03 -0400, Welmoed <wel...@familysisson.com>
wrote:

No pregnancy, just more "Cathy's getting old and fat(er)" . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer