Google to scan comics?

Paul Brians

Sep 10, 2008, 11:48:50 AM9/10/08
So Google is going to scan newspapers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/technology/09google.html?ref=technology

I assume that means the comics will be scanned too. But will they be
searchable by text within the strip?

And how far back are they going? The old microfilm copies of comics
sections make a travesty of the art, not to mention discarding color.
It would be nice to have fresh scans of old comics sections where
possible.

Paul Brians

Charles Brubaker

Sep 10, 2008, 6:36:22 PM9/10/08
This actually sounds cool. I enjoy looking at these old comics
sections (which is why I'm saving the current comics pages)

Hopefully, they'll have a pretty good selection of newspapers.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 10, 2008, 6:45:57 PM9/10/08
In article <aea1f67f-bcb3-422f...@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Well, to some extent it's already possible. You can go to the
Augusta Chronicle site, and get unlimited access to high-res scanned PDFs
of past issues back to the paper's inception (though some issues are missing)
for $5.00 a day. You can download lots of comics sections in a day..

The online archives of Columbia's paper, The State, on the other hand are
useless. They only go back to, um, 1987, and have no graphics.

What I'd like to see is for Google to help USC get the Fox Movietone Newsreel
archive digitized and online. I remember the hoopla about the donation to
the school back in the 1980s, but it looks like they've *still* only gotten
as far as getting *some* it on *videotape*.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2008, 12:42:51 AM9/11/08

Microfilm copies at one of CSUN's library annexes are how I read
most of Funky Winkerbean form the early/mid 90s (courtesy of The Daily
News) . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer