Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

DS Alert (10-19)

0 просмотров

Antonio E. Gonzalez

не прочитано,
20 окт. 2008 г., 01:25:3720.10.2008
- Quote out of context, check.
- Racially insensitive, check.
- Just plain bad humor, check.

DS at its DS-iest . . .:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081019>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Renee

не прочитано,
20 окт. 2008 г., 15:52:5820.10.2008
On Oct 20, 12:25 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> - Quote out of context, check.
> - Racially insensitive, check.
> - Just plain bad humor, check.
>
>    DS at its DS-iest . . .:
>
>   <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081019>

If anybody else called their grandmother a typical white person, they
wouldn't get the grief that Obama has gotten. It's a double standard
disguised as pointing out a "double standard".

Renee

J.D. Baldwin

не прочитано,
20 окт. 2008 г., 16:26:0720.10.2008

In the previous article, Renee <rjef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 12:25am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> > - Quote out of context, check.
> > - Racially insensitive, check.
> > - Just plain bad humor, check.
> >
> > DS at its DS-iest . . .:
> >
> > <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=3D20081019>

> If anybody else called their grandmother a typical white person,
> they wouldn't get the grief that Obama has gotten. It's a double
> standard disguised as pointing out a "double standard".

Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago" off
his checklist.

And as for offensive, there's a whole website devoted to "typical
white people," and a very funny book to go along with it:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Mike Beede

не прочитано,
20 окт. 2008 г., 21:26:5420.10.2008
In article <gdipgv$ecs$2...@reader1.panix.com>,
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

> Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago" off
> his checklist.

This is possibly the most confusing sentence I've tried to read
today. It might be the two layers of sneer quotes, but I don't
get it. I'm not even sure the outer set are sneers--they might
really be quoting something.

I feel like the only old guy in class that's willing to ask
questions while all the young people scribble notes madly....

Mike Beede

J.D. Baldwin

не прочитано,
20 окт. 2008 г., 21:46:0220.10.2008

In the previous article, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote, quoting
me:

> > Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago"
> > off his checklist.
>
> This is possibly the most confusing sentence I've tried to read
> today.

It ain't a great one. Let me explicate:

Antonio wrote a little checklist for Bruce Tinsley's crimes against
good cartooning sense as evidenced in the subject strip:

- Quote out of context, check.
- Racially insensitive, check.
- Just plain bad humor, check.

The point of my comment was that he was (at least) one item short:

- "Point"[1] that was stale six months ago, check.

[1] And yes, the inner set were sneer-quotes. The outer set were
neither sneering nor literally quoting, just setting off the
thought.

Mike Beede

не прочитано,
21 окт. 2008 г., 19:30:1521.10.2008
In article <gdjc8q$bun$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

> The point of my comment was that he was (at least) one item short:
>
> - "Point"[1] that was stale six months ago, check.

Ah. That should have been obvious, but I just didn't look
at it right. Kind of like one of those "two 'people'
looking at each other 'vase' outline" things.

Mike Beede

0 новых сообщений