DS Alert (10-19)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 20, 2008, 1:25:37 AM10/20/08
- Quote out of context, check.
- Racially insensitive, check.
- Just plain bad humor, check.

DS at its DS-iest . . .:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081019>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Renee

Oct 20, 2008, 3:52:58 PM10/20/08
On Oct 20, 12:25 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> - Quote out of context, check.
> - Racially insensitive, check.
> - Just plain bad humor, check.
>
>    DS at its DS-iest . . .:
>
>   <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081019>

If anybody else called their grandmother a typical white person, they
wouldn't get the grief that Obama has gotten. It's a double standard
disguised as pointing out a "double standard".

Renee

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 20, 2008, 4:26:07 PM10/20/08

In the previous article, Renee <rjef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 12:25am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> > - Quote out of context, check.
> > - Racially insensitive, check.
> > - Just plain bad humor, check.
> >
> > DS at its DS-iest . . .:
> >
> > <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=3D20081019>

> If anybody else called their grandmother a typical white person,
> they wouldn't get the grief that Obama has gotten. It's a double
> standard disguised as pointing out a "double standard".

Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago" off
his checklist.

And as for offensive, there's a whole website devoted to "typical
white people," and a very funny book to go along with it:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Mike Beede

Oct 20, 2008, 9:26:54 PM10/20/08
In article <gdipgv$ecs$2...@reader1.panix.com>,
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

> Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago" off
> his checklist.

This is possibly the most confusing sentence I've tried to read
today. It might be the two layers of sneer quotes, but I don't
get it. I'm not even sure the outer set are sneers--they might
really be quoting something.

I feel like the only old guy in class that's willing to ask
questions while all the young people scribble notes madly....

Mike Beede

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 20, 2008, 9:46:02 PM10/20/08

In the previous article, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote, quoting
me:

> > Antonio's left "making a 'point' that was stale six months ago"
> > off his checklist.
>
> This is possibly the most confusing sentence I've tried to read
> today.

It ain't a great one. Let me explicate:

Antonio wrote a little checklist for Bruce Tinsley's crimes against
good cartooning sense as evidenced in the subject strip:

- Quote out of context, check.
- Racially insensitive, check.
- Just plain bad humor, check.

The point of my comment was that he was (at least) one item short:

- "Point"[1] that was stale six months ago, check.

[1] And yes, the inner set were sneer-quotes. The outer set were
neither sneering nor literally quoting, just setting off the
thought.

Mike Beede

Oct 21, 2008, 7:30:15 PM10/21/08
In article <gdjc8q$bun$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

> The point of my comment was that he was (at least) one item short:
>
> - "Point"[1] that was stale six months ago, check.

Ah. That should have been obvious, but I just didn't look
at it right. Kind of like one of those "two 'people'
looking at each other 'vase' outline" things.

Mike Beede