DP 5/29/2008 Wed

1 view

Mike Beede

May 29, 2008, 11:20:46 AM5/29/08

<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080528&name=Mallard_Fillmore>

Today's MF only qualifies as "Duck Puzzlement." First of
all, I can never remember which ones are red states and which
ones are blue states, since there's no real reason for the
colors. Further, what the hell is the difference between
"coffee" and "a coffee?" Is he on about coffee-based
espresso drinks and their feminaziing effect on our
vital bodily fluids, or is there some even more subtle and
pointless gag in play here?

Also, is there some reason that he's green in some panels
and black in others? Or that there are no actual "panels?"

Mike Beede

Jim Strain

May 29, 2008, 11:46:56 AM5/29/08
On May 29, 8:20 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080528&name=Ma...>

> Today's MF only qualifies as "Duck Puzzlement."  First of
> all, I can never remember which ones are red states and which
> ones are blue states, since there's no real reason for the
> colors.  Further, what the hell is the difference between
> "coffee" and "a coffee?"  Is he on about coffee-based
> espresso drinks and their feminaziing effect on our
> vital bodily fluids, or is there some even more subtle and
> pointless gag in play here?
>
> Also, is there some reason that he's green in some panels
> and black in others?  Or that there are no actual "panels?"
>
>     Mike Beede

See, people in Blue (Democrat) states think they're better than you
are. They don't have coffee; they have "a coffee." They don't go to
the movies; they "see a film." They don't slam down shots of Wild
Turkey; they sip Chardonnay. They don't smoke crack; they snort
powder. On Saturday night they don't go out bashing fags; they allow
them to marry on Sunday afternoon. The Red states are the *real*
America; th Blue states are crypto Canadians.
. . . jim strain in san diego (blue state, red city <sigh>).

Detox

May 29, 2008, 12:07:41 PM5/29/08
> Today's MF only qualifies as "Duck Puzzlement."  First of
> all, I can never remember which ones are red states and which
> ones are blue states, since there's no real reason for the
> colors.  Further, what the hell is the difference between
> "coffee" and "a coffee?"  Is he on about coffee-based
> espresso drinks and their feminaziing effect on our
> vital bodily fluids, or is there some even more subtle and
> pointless gag in play here?

Erg...I'll take a stab it.

I think the joke has something to do with the perceived* prediliction
towards pretentious and overpriced coffee being served in coffeehouses
that must surely exist only in places that vote for Democrats. While
at the same time, areas that favor Republicans still serve coffee at
corner diners for US$0.25 a cup.

Apparently you can find a Starbucks just about anywhere.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080529&name=Shermans_Lagoon

I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.

More indirectly, I think he's trying to make a point about the
differing values** *** that exist between areas that tend to vote for
Democrats and areas that tend to vote for Republicans.

The red/blue paradigm comes from the 1992 election cycle. At least,
that is the first time that I can recall them using the red="GOP" and
blue="Democrat" color scheme. IIRC, it was reversed in elections
prior to that point.

> Also, is there some reason that he's green in some panels
> and black in others?  Or that there are no actual "panels?"

You forgot to mention the disappearing hat.

*by Mr. Tinsley at least.

**or culture clash as Mr. Bell would put it.

***rejoinders referencing torture, lying, etc. miss the point

--
Regards,
Dann

Neil Robinson

May 29, 2008, 12:20:20 PM5/29/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008, Detox wrote:

> I think the joke has something to do with the perceived* prediliction

> towards pretentious and overpriced coffee being served in coffeehouses
> that must surely exist only in places that vote for Democrats. While
> at the same time, areas that favor Republicans still serve coffee at
> corner diners for US$0.25 a cup.

> *by Mr. Tinsley at least.

As far as that goes, I'll agree. After all, Tinsley preceiving
pretentiousness in people who don't agree with him is what makes this
strip what it is.

Still: What does that have to do with "coffee" versus "a coffee"? Isn't it
only a regional variation for the Northeast? And therefore a complete
accident that it maps on to some of the states that tend to vote for the
Democratic candidate for president?

BTW, I'm happy to be corrected on my assumption. After all, it was this
group that set me straight on just who stands on line.

Neil Robinson

Detox

May 29, 2008, 12:29:25 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 12:20 pm, Neil Robinson <kn...@nos.pam.bitstream.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2008, Detox wrote:
> > On May 29, 11:20 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> >> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080528&name=Ma...>
> > I think the joke has something to do with the perceived* prediliction
> > towards pretentious and overpriced coffee being served in coffeehouses
> > that must surely exist only in places that vote for Democrats.  While
> > at the same time, areas that favor Republicans still serve coffee at
> > corner diners for US$0.25 a cup.
> > *by Mr. Tinsley at least.
>
> Still: What does that have to do with "coffee" versus "a coffee"? Isn't it
> only a regional variation for the Northeast? And therefore a complete
> accident that it maps on to some of the states that tend to vote for the
> Democratic candidate for president?

It isn't about language. It is about cost.

At US$0.25 a cup, you can afford to have more than one cup of
coffee. Thus you go out for "coffee".

At US$9.24 a cup, you have "a coffee".

Accuracy in pricing is not guaranteed.

--
Regards,
Dann

LNER...@juno.com

May 29, 2008, 1:05:11 PM5/29/08

> It isn't about language. It is about cost.
>
> At US$0.25 a cup, you can afford to have more than one cup of
> coffee. Thus you go out for "coffee".
>
> At US$9.24 a cup, you have "a coffee".
>
> Accuracy in pricing is not guaranteed.

*And while we're at it, may I diverge off topic with a different query/
rant:

Why is it that nearly every restaurant, from a greasy-spoon diner to a
high-end establishment, will pour "bottomless" coffee endlessly, but
most balk at refills of hot tea, arguably the cheapest damned thing in
the place with the biggest price mark-up, save for possibly iced tea
which is the same stuff heavily diluted with ice at best and a
concentrated tannin added to water at worst? (Real gourmet teas at
coffee shoppes, etc. not included--though a cafe in Arizona I was at
did offer a "bottomless" tea option, but I was drooling at the 30 beer
taps and 300+ bottled beers too much to notice......)

Environmentally-conscious twit that I am, I brew up a pot of almost-
the-color-of-coffee triple-strength tea most mornings from minimally-
packaged high quality loose-leaf teas (sometimes cut with tagless bulk
tea bags), and dilute it throughout the day with ice, or bottle it in
used plastic juice bottles. My estimate is my "habit" costs me,
including gas for the stove, about 20-50 cents a day depending on tea
used, and is good for anywhere from a half-gallon to a gallon or more,
though people occasionally recoil in terror from a stray tea leaf in
my drink.......

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

May 29, 2008, 1:11:58 PM5/29/08
In article <d7d87f8f-c21a-4f93...@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

<LNER...@juno.com> wrote:

>> It isn't about language. It is about cost.
>>
>> At US$0.25 a cup, you can afford to have more than one cup of
>> coffee. Thus you go out for "coffee".
>>
>> At US$9.24 a cup, you have "a coffee".
>>
>> Accuracy in pricing is not guaranteed.
>>
>*And while we're at it, may I diverge off topic with a different query/
>rant:
>
>Why is it that nearly every restaurant, from a greasy-spoon diner to a
>high-end establishment, will pour "bottomless" coffee endlessly, but
>most balk at refills of hot tea, arguably the cheapest damned thing in

It messes up the system. Most (US) people don't drink hot tea, so there's
no pitcher of hot tea for the waitress to cart around like the iced tea
pitcher or the coffee pitcher. To get you more hot tea, she has to get
a new tea-bag, which is a tangible, physical item that they are used to
charging for, and to bring you a cup of hot water which requires another
seperate step because there is no hot-water pitcher.

If as many people drank hot tea as iced, hot tea refills would be free like
iced tea refills.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Sherwood Harrington

May 29, 2008, 1:19:05 PM5/29/08
Jim Strain <jasps...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> See, people in Blue (Democrat) states think they're better than you
> are. They don't have coffee; they have "a coffee."

I used to work with a very nice guy who, politically, was several steps to
the right of Robert Welch Jr. He never said he was going to have coffee
or a coffee. He'd say "I think I'll have a piece of coffee now."

No, this has no point.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

May 29, 2008, 1:19:38 PM5/29/08
In article <g1moi8$4kn$1...@blue.rahul.net>,

Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

>Jim Strain <jasps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> See, people in Blue (Democrat) states think they're better than you
>> are. They don't have coffee; they have "a coffee."
>
>I used to work with a very nice guy who, politically, was several steps to
>the right of Robert Welch Jr. He never said he was going to have coffee
>or a coffee. He'd say "I think I'll have a piece of coffee now."
>
>No, this has no point.

Reminds me of that Far Side:

Tim "Javahead" Smith and his chopped espresso maker

cryptoguy

May 29, 2008, 1:26:54 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 11:20 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>
> > <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080528&name=Ma...>
>
> > Today's MF only qualifies as "Duck Puzzlement."  First of
> > all, I can never remember which ones are red states and which
> > ones are blue states, since there's no real reason for the
> > colors.  Further, what the hell is the difference between
> > "coffee" and "a coffee?"  Is he on about coffee-based
> > espresso drinks and their feminaziing effect on our
> > vital bodily fluids, or is there some even more subtle and
> > pointless gag in play here?
>
> Erg...I'll take a stab it.
>
> I think the joke has something to do with the perceived* prediliction
> towards pretentious and overpriced coffee being served in coffeehouses
> that must surely exist only in places that vote for Democrats.  While
> at the same time, areas that favor Republicans still serve coffee at
> corner diners for US$0.25 a cup.
>
> Apparently you can find a Starbucks just about anywhere.

Except Italy, where they know the real thing from the Disney
version.

pt

Sherwood Harrington

May 29, 2008, 1:27:23 PM5/29/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:

> [...] To get you more hot tea, she has to get

> a new tea-bag, which is a tangible, physical item that they are used to

> charging for, [...]

Tea bags are probably inventoried, too, which means they have to account
for them, usually via sale.

On a very cold (for California) day several years ago, I bought a 20-oz
coffee at the 7-11 near school. The clerk rang me up for *two* coffees
because I had double-cupped it. He explained that since the coffee itself
is mixed up in bulk from concentrate, it was "free" as far as inventory
was concerned, but the different sized cups were the charged items.

The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the container's
capacity.)

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

May 29, 2008, 1:28:29 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 11:20 am, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>
> > <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080528&name=Ma...>
>
> > Today's MF only qualifies as "Duck Puzzlement."  First of
> > all, I can never remember which ones are red states and which
> > ones are blue states, since there's no real reason for the
> > colors.
>
> The red/blue paradigm comes from the 1992 election cycle.  At least,
> that is the first time that I can recall them using the red="GOP" and
> blue="Democrat" color scheme.  IIRC, it was reversed in elections
> prior to that point.

From what I remember, the red versus blue states came from the TV
Networks use of maps on Election Night to plot which state voted for
which candidate and predated 1992. I think Dann is correct in that the
assignment of color was somewhat random and varied from network-to-
newtork and even year-to-year. For example, Reagan's landslide in 1980
was depicted on NBC with an almoste entirely blue map of the US. For
some reason, though. In 2000, Red = GOP Blue = Dems became the
standard. Only reason I can figure is that someone objected to equated
red, the color of communism, with the more liberal party and thus it
was assigned to the more conservative party, although Wikipedia opines
that the came about because Gore's main color scheme was blue and
Bush's main color scheme was red.

Paul Ciszek

May 29, 2008, 1:28:49 PM5/29/08

In article <g1moi8$4kn$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:
>Jim Strain <jasps...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> See, people in Blue (Democrat) states think they're better than you
>> are. They don't have coffee; they have "a coffee."
>
>I used to work with a very nice guy who, politically, was several steps to
>the right of Robert Welch Jr. He never said he was going to have coffee
>or a coffee. He'd say "I think I'll have a piece of coffee now."

Now THAT'S strong coffee.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Paul Ciszek

May 29, 2008, 1:33:43 PM5/29/08

In article <ytB%j.19373$hv2....@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>If as many people drank hot tea as iced, hot tea refills would be free like
>iced tea refills.

You need to find a good chinese restaurant. (Not one of those ones that
puts a *&^%$#@! lipton teabag in the teapot.)

Mike Marshall

May 29, 2008, 1:05:33 PM5/29/08
I understand both the comic and the colors.

Explaining comics is fruitless, but this might help on the colors:
Democrats made them up.

Red - ALERT ALERT EMERGENCY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Blue - soothing and calm.

-Mike

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 29, 2008, 1:42:52 PM5/29/08

"Red city"?! Isn't that an oxymoron?

Nick Theodorakis

May 29, 2008, 1:48:46 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.

[...]

Trust me; there are plenty here -- two within a mile of my house (in
the 'burbs, even), at least one less than a half mile from work, and I
pass at least three on the way in to work.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

Neil Robinson

May 29, 2008, 2:09:05 PM5/29/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008, LNER...@juno.com wrote:

> *And while we're at it, may I diverge off topic with a different query/
> rant:
>
> Why is it that nearly every restaurant, from a greasy-spoon diner to a
> high-end establishment, will pour "bottomless" coffee endlessly, but
> most balk at refills of hot tea,

When I was younger and had the metabolism for it, I wondered why Perkins
and the like couldn't come up with a bottomless plate of fries. Especially
at three in the morning

Now that I've reached my mid-30s, and regular indulgences would push my
waistline well past the mid-30s, I find that Red Robin does indeed offer
unlimited fries.

Timing. It's all about timing.

Neil Robinson

Default User

May 29, 2008, 2:29:51 PM5/29/08
Sherwood Harrington wrote:

> On a very cold (for California) day several years ago, I bought a

> 20-oz coffee at the 7-11 near school. The clerk rang me up for two

> coffees because I had double-cupped it. He explained that since the
> coffee itself is mixed up in bulk from concentrate, it was "free" as
> far as inventory was concerned, but the different sized cups were the
> charged items.

Fountain drinks are often retailed that way. Many places have water
cups that are different from the ones for soda.

Brian

won't shut up.

George W Harris

May 29, 2008, 3:43:08 PM5/29/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:48:46 -0700 (PDT), Nick Theodorakis
<nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>[...]
>> I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.
>[...]
>
>Trust me; there are plenty here -- two within a mile of my house (in
>the 'burbs, even), at least one less than a half mile from work, and I
>pass at least three on the way in to work.

Is Boston infected yet? When I lived there there
was a Dunkin' Donuts about every 30 yards...

--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Brian Huntley

May 29, 2008, 4:57:02 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 1:27 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:
[snip]

> On a very cold (for California) day several years ago, I bought a 20-oz
> coffee at the 7-11 near school.  The clerk rang me up for *two* coffees
> because I had double-cupped it.  He explained that since the coffee itself
> is mixed up in bulk from concentrate, it was "free" as far as inventory
> was concerned, but the different sized cups were the charged items.
>
> The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though.  They had a
> standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the container's
> capacity.)

So bring the thermos, order the 20oz coffee, dump it in the 500ml
Nissan, drink the 3 oz left over, drop the cup in the appropriate
container, and leave with hot coffee.

racs...@gmail.com

May 29, 2008, 5:18:12 PM5/29/08
wrote:

> the coffee itself
> is mixed up in bulk from concentrate

Which means he really didn't sell you any coffee at all. He sold you
CoffeeAde.

Blah.

There's a chain of gas stations here that has good coffee, fresh
brewed, and that sells a lot of diesel fuel. They'll have a flavored
coffee, a regular, a dark roast, a double-caffeine and a decaf, and
each one has the hour written on it when it will be pitched in favor
of a fresh pot -- it never stands for more than two hours, and maybe
it's 90 minutes, I'm not sure. They stamp your card and every six
cups, you get one free, but if you buy a large, they hit your card
twice, and if they're busy and they see you're only buying coffee,
they just wave you out the door.

I realize it's a little out of your way, but still ...

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

racs...@gmail.com

May 29, 2008, 5:21:30 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 1:05 pm, LNER4...@juno.com wrote:

> Environmentally-conscious twit that I am, I brew up a pot of almost-
> the-color-of-coffee triple-strength tea most mornings from minimally-
> packaged high quality loose-leaf teas (sometimes cut with tagless bulk
> tea bags), and dilute it throughout the day with ice, or bottle it in
> used plastic juice bottles.

Haines sat down to pour out the tea.

-- I'm giving you two lumps each, he said. But, I say, Mulligan, you
do make strong tea, don't you?

Buck Mulligan, hewing thick slices from the loaf, said in an old
woman's wheedling voice:

-- When I makes tea I makes tea, as old mother Grogan said. And when I
makes water I makes water.

-- By Jove, it is tea, Haines said.

Buck Mulligan went on hewing and wheedling:

-- So I do, Mrs Cahill, says she. Begob, ma'am, says Mrs Cahill, God
send you don't make them in the one pot.

James Joyce
Sandymount Falls, Maine

J.D. Baldwin

May 29, 2008, 5:42:12 PM5/29/08

In the previous article, Sherwood Harrington

<sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:
> I used to work with a very nice guy who, politically, was several
> steps to the right of Robert Welch Jr. He never said he was going
> to have coffee or a coffee. He'd say "I think I'll have a piece of
> coffee now."

Older fella with a young, hot, blonde, foreign wife, perchance? Name
of Oliver Wendell Douglas?
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Sherwood Harrington

May 29, 2008, 6:06:13 PM5/29/08
pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a chain of gas stations here that has good coffee, fresh
> brewed, and that sells a lot of diesel fuel. They'll have a flavored
> coffee, a regular, a dark roast, a double-caffeine and a decaf, and
> each one has the hour written on it when it will be pitched in favor
> of a fresh pot -- it never stands for more than two hours, and maybe
> it's 90 minutes, I'm not sure. They stamp your card and every six
> cups, you get one free, but if you buy a large, they hit your card
> twice, and if they're busy and they see you're only buying coffee,
> they just wave you out the door.

> I realize it's a little out of your way, but still ...

Hang on a sec' while I figger out how much it would cost me in gas to
drive out for one of those cuppas...

Oh.

Never mind.

For that, I could just buy the first Starbuck's I come to (the whole
store and its franchise, not just a Veni-Vidi-Vente or whatever.)

Veronique

May 29, 2008, 6:16:34 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 10:05 am, LNER4...@juno.com wrote:

> Environmentally-conscious twit that I am, I brew up a pot of almost-
> the-color-of-coffee triple-strength tea most mornings from minimally-
> packaged high quality loose-leaf teas (sometimes cut with tagless bulk
> tea bags), and dilute it throughout the day with ice, or bottle it in
> used plastic juice bottles. My estimate is my "habit" costs me,
> including gas for the stove, about 20-50 cents a day depending on tea
> used, and is good for anywhere from a half-gallon to a gallon or more,
> though people occasionally recoil in terror from a stray tea leaf in
> my drink.......

Hooboy. The last tea I bought, Dragon oolong ball, comes in at $84/
pound. And I've been warned by Crazy Tea Seller not to leave the tea
overnight, as it is so good at soaking up antioxidents (from the air?
where?) that green and oolong teas can actually be toxic if left to
sit too long. (Too long? Oolong!)

At any rate, I've been breaking off a bit of a dragon ball and brewing
in my antique teapot, drinking and refilling until it runs mostly
clear (probably five cups or so). Then I fling the leaves off the
porch onto the cala lilies.

I have no idea, actually, what a single cup of tea costs me.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Veronique

May 29, 2008, 6:19:07 PM5/29/08
On May 29, 10:28 am, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

I don't think it was even that conscious. My feeling is it is one of
those things that became a meme in the public consciousness more or
less all at once, and the moment someone labeled something "red-state"
or "blue-state" the positions became fixed.

V., mauve-stater.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Mark Jackson

May 29, 2008, 7:05:06 PM5/29/08
Sherwood Harrington wrote:

> The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
> standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the
> container's capacity.)

And you didn't come in the day after *that* with a 50-liter nitrogen
dewar borrowed from your friends in the physics department?

Life was simple before World War II. After that,
we had systems. - Admiral Grace Hopper

Mark Jackson

May 29, 2008, 7:07:02 PM5/29/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> "Red city"?! Isn't that an oxymoron?

When we lived in Levallois-Perret the greenspace around City Hall was
officially styled "Parc Salvador Allende."

Robin

May 29, 2008, 7:08:07 PM5/29/08
pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org wrote:

> There's a chain of gas stations here that has good coffee, fresh
> brewed, and that sells a lot of diesel fuel. They'll have a flavored
> coffee, a regular, a dark roast, a double-caffeine and a decaf, and
> each one has the hour written on it when it will be pitched in favor
> of a fresh pot -- it never stands for more than two hours, and maybe
> it's 90 minutes, I'm not sure. They stamp your card and every six
> cups, you get one free, but if you buy a large, they hit your card
> twice, and if they're busy and they see you're only buying coffee,
> they just wave you out the door.
>
> I realize it's a little out of your way, but still ...

Sherwood doesn't have to drive quite that far. I find a similar
arrangement fairly frequently at Midwestern truck stops on the
interstates and other major routes. Timed turnover on the pots, lots
of coffee options, plus fancy creamers, flavored syrups to squirt in,
and shakers of cinnamon and other nutmeg. They know that if their
coffee can get the regular drivers to plan on stopping there for gas
on each pass through the area, it's a small investment with a big
payoff. Those of us driving little cars get the benefit in better
brew.

I discovered the "wave you out the door" business by accident. The
counter guys always took my money, but once I was traveling with a
friend and sent him in to get my coffee while I filled the tank. To
his puzzlement, they told him it was free. Never mind that he's a
mathematician/musician with a desk job; his jeans, strong build, and
long hair must have marked him as "trucker."

--Robin

Sherwood Harrington

May 29, 2008, 7:08:22 PM5/29/08
Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Sherwood Harrington wrote:

>> The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
>> standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the
>> container's capacity.)

> And you didn't come in the day after *that* with a 50-liter nitrogen
> dewar borrowed from your friends in the physics department?

Sadly, the best friend I had in the physics department is currently
serving 25-to-life as a guest of the State of California, and the
remaining physicists don't seem to trust me very much.

May 29, 2008, 7:49:07 PM5/29/08
Mark Jackson wrote:

> Sherwood Harrington wrote:
>
> > The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
> > standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the
> > container's capacity.)
>

> And you didn't come in the day after that with a 50-liter nitrogen

> dewar borrowed from your friends in the physics department?

Ha, that's good clean American fun. When a stoogent, one of the gang
worked in a laser lab, so it was fun with liquid nitrogen! Some guy
would leave his lunch unattended while getting a beverage, portions
would mysteriously get frozen solid.

George W Harris

May 29, 2008, 10:36:34 PM5/29/08
On 29 May 2008 23:49:07 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Mark Jackson wrote:
>
>> Sherwood Harrington wrote:
>>
>> > The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
>> > standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the
>> > container's capacity.)
>>
>> And you didn't come in the day after that with a 50-liter nitrogen
>> dewar borrowed from your friends in the physics department?
>
>Ha, that's good clean American fun. When a stoogent, one of the gang
>worked in a laser lab, so it was fun with liquid nitrogen! Some guy
>would leave his lunch unattended while getting a beverage, portions
>would mysteriously get frozen solid.

Not up there with fun with liquid oxygen, as mentioned
recently on 'Little Dee':

http://www.littledee.net/archive/20080519.html

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UjPxDOEdsX8

>Brian

Mike Beede

May 29, 2008, 11:55:56 PM5/29/08
In article <g1mp1r$5g3$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> The next day, I brought in a thermos -- no luck, though. They had a
> standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the container's
> capacity.)

So you brought the thermos truck from then on?

Mike Beede

Mike Beede

May 30, 2008, 12:10:56 AM5/30/08
In article <g1nd16$hp$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

You MUST elucidate on this.

Mike Beede

Mike Beede

May 30, 2008, 12:11:21 AM5/30/08
In article <2008052913...@helium.iphouse.net>,
Neil Robinson <kn...@nos.pam.bitstream.net> wrote:

> Now that I've reached my mid-30s, and regular indulgences would push my
> waistline well past the mid-30s, I find that Red Robin does indeed offer
> unlimited fries.

If only it weren't louder than the Battle of the Marne, The
Dead Robin would be a fine place. And if it were cheaper.

Mike Beede

Mike Beede

May 30, 2008, 12:12:01 AM5/30/08
In article <g1mnot$8sv$1...@hubcap.clemson.edu>,
Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:

I think we should use something like fuschia and violet or pink
and coral so no one gets any benefit.

Mike Beede

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

May 30, 2008, 12:43:06 AM5/30/08
In article <beede-EA791C....@news.visi.com>,

But they are serious about being open as long as they say. None of this,
"well, it wasn't busy, so we shut down the kitchen 45 minutes early" stuff.

Mine isn't that noisy either, I always take a book, and have yet to be
too distracted to read.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Sherwood Harrington

May 30, 2008, 1:16:52 AM5/30/08

If I do, it'll be over on my blog. It's a very sad story, and
isn't really appropriate for this happy group.

Andrew Ryan Chang

May 30, 2008, 1:38:21 AM5/30/08
Detox <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The red/blue paradigm comes from the 1992 election cycle. At least,
>that is the first time that I can recall them using the red="GOP" and
>blue="Democrat" color scheme. IIRC, it was reversed in elections
>prior to that point.

AIUI, "red" and "blue" used to mean either "incumbent party" or
"non-incumbent party", with them being flipped each year... but 2000's
election coverage has pretty much cemented the red=GOP/blue=Dem concept.
... well, that's the way I read it a few years ago, but Wikipedia says the
various TV networks didn't even standardize till 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states#Origins_of_current_color_scheme

--
Smile! You're at Mr. Smiley's.

Evan Kirshenbaum

May 30, 2008, 4:07:42 AM5/30/08
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> writes:

Did it involve a professor and a ball peen hammer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Streleski
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,959900,00.html

The _Time_ article omits the rest of the quote. After "If I express
remorse, I would not only be a murderer but a dirty lying dog." he
reportedly said "I'm a murderer. I'm not a dirty lying dog."

I was at Stanford when he was released in 1985. The math faculty
there was a bit on edge, to say the least.

HP Laboratories |"Revolution" has many definitions.
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |From the looks of this, I'd say
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |"going around in circles" comes
|closest to applying...
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | Richard M. Hartman
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Dann

May 30, 2008, 7:17:32 AM5/30/08
On 29 May 2008, Nick Theodorakis said the following in news:17994a3e-
6e09-4b7e-a73...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com.

> On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.
> [...]
>
> Trust me; there are plenty here -- two within a mile of my house (in
> the 'burbs, even), at least one less than a half mile from work, and I
> pass at least three on the way in to work.

Oh Mr. Peterson!! A little help here. My sarcasm generator is
apparently broken.

Wud I do do wrong?

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Dann

May 30, 2008, 7:18:37 AM5/30/08
On 29 May 2008, George W Harris said the following in

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:48:46 -0700 (PDT), Nick Theodorakis
> <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>> I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.
>>[...]
>>
>>Trust me; there are plenty here -- two within a mile of my house (in
>>the 'burbs, even), at least one less than a half mile from work, and I
>>pass at least three on the way in to work.
>
> Is Boston infected yet? When I lived there there
> was a Dunkin' Donuts about every 30 yards...

<http://www.starbucks.com/retail/&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1
&usg=AFQjCNHIlw3zzj9Atx0RBzSY4wCkTj_1KA>

There is an easy way to find out...

Charles Bishop

May 30, 2008, 10:16:03 AM5/30/08
In article <6a8b0vF...@mid.individual.net>, "Default User"
<defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sherwood Harrington wrote:
>

>> On a very cold (for California) day several years ago, I bought a
>> 20-oz coffee at the 7-11 near school. The clerk rang me up for two
>> coffees because I had double-cupped it. He explained that since the
>> coffee itself is mixed up in bulk from concentrate, it was "free" as
>> far as inventory was concerned, but the different sized cups were the
>> charged items.
>
>Fountain drinks are often retailed that way. Many places have water
>cups that are different from the ones for soda.

This was true in the late '60's, working in a movie theatre. The cups for
drinks and popcorn was what was inventoried, and couldn't be given out for
free, even if someone just wanted water. We didn't serve water at the
candy counter, but here was a water fountain in the lobby. It was easier
to buy small paper cups for water for the few who wanted some, than to
have to explain why we couldn't give away a paper cup, which looked to
cost nearly nothing.

--
chrles

Charles Bishop

May 30, 2008, 10:21:26 AM5/30/08
In article
<bd2878ba-a03a-41ac...@c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Veronique <veroniq...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 29, 10:05 am, LNER4...@juno.com wrote:
>

>> Environmentally-conscious twit that I am, I brew up a pot of almost-
>> the-color-of-coffee triple-strength tea most mornings from minimally-
>> packaged high quality loose-leaf teas (sometimes cut with tagless bulk
>> tea bags), and dilute it throughout the day with ice, or bottle it in
>> used plastic juice bottles. My estimate is my "habit" costs me,
>> including gas for the stove, about 20-50 cents a day depending on tea
>> used, and is good for anywhere from a half-gallon to a gallon or more,
>> though people occasionally recoil in terror from a stray tea leaf in
>> my drink.......
>

>Hooboy. The last tea I bought, Dragon oolong ball, comes in at $84/
>pound. And I've been warned by Crazy Tea Seller not to leave the tea
>overnight, as it is so good at soaking up antioxidents (from the air?
>where?) that green and oolong teas can actually be toxic if left to
>sit too long. (Too long? Oolong!)

Drat. Now I have a half-remembered song in my head, one of whose lines is
"sip a little oolong tea". It's sung in a fake chinesey sing song voice
and I'll not be able to do much until I remember what it is. Ah, got it,
it's from one of the Hope/Crosby road pictures, Road to Hong Kong, prolly.

charles, "sip a little hookah, (something, something) bazooka, sip a
little oolong tea", bishop

Charles Bishop

May 30, 2008, 10:23:38 AM5/30/08
In article <g1nd16$hp$1...@blue.rahul.net>, Sherwood Harrington
<sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

Do I have to wait until I see you in person to get more details?

charles, physicists don't trust you?, bishop

May 30, 2008, 12:10:19 PM5/30/08
George W Harris wrote:

> On 29 May 2008 23:49:07 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Mark Jackson wrote:

> had a >> > standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the
> >>
> >> And you didn't come in the day after that with a 50-liter nitrogen
> >> dewar borrowed from your friends in the physics department?
> >
> > Ha, that's good clean American fun. When a stoogent, one of the gang
> > worked in a laser lab, so it was fun with liquid nitrogen! Some guy
> > would leave his lunch unattended while getting a beverage, portions
> > would mysteriously get frozen solid.
>
> Not up there with fun with liquid oxygen, as mentioned
> recently on 'Little Dee':

There's a video floating around the interweb thingy of a physics
professor lighting a charcoal grill with LOX.

Mike Marshall

May 30, 2008, 12:20:42 PM5/30/08
ctbi...@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) writes:
>Drat. Now I have a half-remembered song in my head, one of whose lines is
>"sip a little oolong tea". It's sung in a fake chinesey sing song voice

Drat. Now I have a half-remembered Todd Rundgren cheesy-accent song in
my head: "... in the palace of Fu Manchu..."

-Mike

racs...@gmail.com

May 30, 2008, 8:32:57 PM5/30/08
On May 30, 7:17 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 May 2008, Nick Theodorakis said the following in news:17994a3e-
> 6e09-4b7e-a731-eb9b8c532...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com.

> > On May 29, 12:07 pm, Detox <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >> I'm not sure why they haven't spread to Indiana.
> > [...]
>
> > Trust me; there are plenty here -- two within a mile of my house (in
> > the 'burbs, even), at least one less than a half mile from work, and I
> > pass at least three on the way in to work.
>
> Oh Mr. Peterson!!  A little help here.  My sarcasm generator is
> apparently broken.
>
> Wud I do do wrong?

Oh, Grasshopper, you are not ready to dispense sarcasm in the Duck
threads yet.

For now, practice in the Mary Worth and Apartment 3G discussions,
where participants have a sense of humor.

When you can get three laughs with a single joke there, and can walk
on a piece of bristol board without creasing it, you will be ready to
make sarcastic comments in the threads of the Duck.

Mike Peterson
Nepal. No, Tibet. No, I meant Nepal. Damn, no, it was Tibet, wasn't
it? Tibet.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNkgQDnsfC8>

Mark Jackson

May 30, 2008, 8:49:36 PM5/30/08
pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org wrote*:

> Nepal. No, Tibet. No, I meant Nepal. Damn, no, it was Tibet, wasn't
> it? Tibet.
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNkgQDnsfC8>

Hide in the closet
Hide in the hall
I bet they'll never catch you
If you talk about Nepal
(apologies to Shel Silverstein**)

[*This is an attribution, Jym]
[**This is an homage, Jym]

George W Harris

May 30, 2008, 9:19:51 PM5/30/08
On 30 May 2008 16:10:19 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>George W Harris wrote:
>
>> On 29 May 2008 23:49:07 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> had a >> > standard price for that (but one that didn't depend on the

>> > Ha, that's good clean American fun. When a stoogent, one of the gang
>> > worked in a laser lab, so it was fun with liquid nitrogen! Some guy
>> > would leave his lunch unattended while getting a beverage, portions
>> > would mysteriously get frozen solid.
>>
>> Not up there with fun with liquid oxygen, as mentioned
>> recently on 'Little Dee':
>
>There's a video floating around the interweb thingy of a physics
>professor lighting a charcoal grill with LOX.

...which was linked in my post.

May 30, 2008, 9:32:57 PM5/30/08
George W Harris wrote:

> On 30 May 2008 16:10:19 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> > There's a video floating around the interweb thingy of a physics
> > professor lighting a charcoal grill with LOX.
>
> ...which was linked in my post.

Ah. We can't view video links at work.

George W Harris

May 30, 2008, 10:14:32 PM5/30/08
On 31 May 2008 01:32:57 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>George W Harris wrote:
>
>> On 30 May 2008 16:10:19 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> > There's a video floating around the interweb thingy of a physics
>> > professor lighting a charcoal grill with LOX.
>>
>> ...which was linked in my post.
>
>Ah. We can't view video links at work.

Fight The Man!

LNER...@juno.com

May 31, 2008, 1:07:41 PM5/31/08

> When you can get three laughs with a single joke there, and can walk
> on a piece of bristol board without creasing it, you will be ready to
> make sarcastic comments in the threads of the Duck.

Being elitist now, are we?

racs...@gmail.com

May 31, 2008, 2:17:12 PM5/31/08

Yes. Only making jokes that appeal to the highly educated, elitist
upper crust snobs who can intelligently discuss esoteric Eastern
philosophy.

Mike Peterson
Shaolin Falls, Maine

Paul

May 31, 2008, 3:41:35 PM5/31/08
"pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racs...@gmail.com> wrote in

Beefwits.

--
Paul

JC Dill

Jun 1, 2008, 2:33:20 PM6/1/08
Sherwood Harrington wrote:

> Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
seem to trust me very much.

>> You MUST elucidate on this.
>
> If I do, it'll be over on my blog.

URL?

Jym Dyer

Jun 4, 2008, 12:50:28 PM6/4/08
Jack "King" Kirby wrote:

> this might help on the colors: Democrats made them up.
>
> Red - ALERT ALERT EMERGENCY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
> Blue - soothing and calm.

=v= You seem to have forgotten which party has spent several
decades RED-baiting the other party.
<_Jym_>