Mallard (12-18)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 19, 2008, 2:31:35 AM12/19/08
Yes, the once-in-a-blue-moon event happens yet again . . . Mallard
Fillmore, was *funny*!:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081218>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Ted Goldblatt

Dec 19, 2008, 9:17:35 AM12/19/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> Yes, the once-in-a-blue-moon event happens yet again . . . Mallard
> Fillmore, was *funny*!:
>
> <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp?date=20081218>

Not great, but not bad. It seems that if he stays away from politics,
Tinsley can do worthwhile work. You would think he would learn from this...

Boyd Nation

Dec 19, 2008, 9:32:29 AM12/19/08

To be honest, though:

Caddy has hiccups and can't seem to control them. Hiccups as his player
is taking his downswing on the first three holes, leading to major slices
and lost balls. Player shows remarkable restraint, saying, "That's OK; I
know you can't help it." Touched by this show of class, the caddy
determines to stifle it and, on the fourth tee, manages to remain
completely silent. Player hooks it into the rough.

Player: "%$#@#$ $$#$#@#! #$#%$ you!"

Caddy: "But I didn't make a peep!"

Player: "I allowed for it, you idiot!"

I think with the occasional Mallardpraise, it's mostly just that you've
steeled yourself for something so awful that mere mediocrity feels like
the rebirth of Walt Kelly in his prime.

--
Boyd Nation
boyd....@mindspring.com

J.D. Baldwin

Dec 19, 2008, 11:55:11 AM12/19/08

In the previous article, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> Yes, the once-in-a-blue-moon event happens yet again . . . Mallard
> Fillmore, was *funny*!:

That's, like, the fourth time in as many weeks, isn't it?

And it's almost as unusual for "Prickly City" to be knee-slappingly
hilarious as it is for Mallard to be mildly amusing, but *both*
happened this week:

http://www.gocomics.com/pricklycity/2008/12/19/

As for Mallard's 19 Dec installment, I think a recent xkcd covered
that territory. When I finally got a cell phone that could accept
uploaded .wav and .mp3 files as ringtones, I was so excited because
I had what had to be the cleverest idea ever: I had a .wav file of
an old AT&T mechanical bell ring that I was going to use.

Turned out the same file was already installed as an option in the
phone's software, and about every third person I knew with that
model was using it. Oh, well.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

George W Harris

Dec 19, 2008, 2:09:16 PM12/19/08
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:55:11 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>As for Mallard's 19 Dec installment, I think a recent xkcd covered
>that territory. When I finally got a cell phone that could accept
>uploaded .wav and .mp3 files as ringtones, I was so excited because
>I had what had to be the cleverest idea ever: I had a .wav file of
>an old AT&T mechanical bell ring that I was going to use.

I had the brilliant idea of having a sound file on
my phone so that whenever I get sent to somebody's
voicemail, I just play them "Never Gonna Give You Up"
by Rick Springfield. Almost makes me want to get a
cellphone.
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

axlq

Dec 19, 2008, 6:28:15 PM12/19/08
In article <slrngknc3...@localhost.localdomain>,

Boyd Nation <boyd....@mindspring.com> wrote:
>I think with the occasional Mallardpraise, it's mostly just that you've
>steeled yourself for something so awful that mere mediocrity feels like
>the rebirth of Walt Kelly in his prime.

No, not really. Mallard Fillmore *is* occasionally genuinely funny.
The recent one a week or so ago where an economy-victim father is
explaining to his son that Santa died, so there won't be any gifts
this year, made me laugh out loud. "He was 1800 years old, there was
nothing they could do to save him..."

-A

Harold Burton

Dec 19, 2008, 8:06:10 PM12/19/08
In article <scjmk413aht5iadi4...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Yes, the once-in-a-blue-moon event happens yet again . . . Mallard
> Fillmore, was *funny*!:

Yeah, sorta like Dilbert.

LNER...@juno.com

Dec 21, 2008, 8:36:01 PM12/21/08

Well, hey, as long as we're saying that, do we think the same would
apply to, say, Aaron McGruder, Darrin Bell, Garry Trudeau, Dan Piraro,
Tom Tomorrow, Nicole Hollander, Ted Rall...........

In some cases (Trudeau, Piraro), yes. In others, probably not.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 21, 2008, 8:52:03 PM12/21/08

Perhaps excluding Hollander and Rall, I recall they all do great
political cartooning; this has nothing to do with Ducktard being
conservative, it has everything to do with how much his political work
sucks!

--
- ReFlex 76

J.D. Baldwin

Dec 22, 2008, 9:39:04 PM12/22/08

In the previous article, <LNER...@juno.com> wrote:
> Well, hey, as long as we're saying that, do we think the same would
> apply to, say, Aaron McGruder, Darrin Bell, Garry Trudeau, Dan
> Piraro, Tom Tomorrow, Nicole Hollander, Ted Rall...........
>
> In some cases (Trudeau, Piraro), yes. In others, probably not.

McGruder did brilliant stuff in both political and non-political
areas. (He had a long stretch of painful boring crap, too, of course,
but it didn't seem to have much to do with how political he was
being.) His TV series (what little there is of it) is freaking
hilarious whether or not it's being political. "The Return of the
King" is one of the best five or six animated television episodes I've
seen, ever.

Darrin Bell mostly elicits "meh" from me, so I'll leave him aside.

Trudeau has been consistently great longer than any other cartoonist
in history, save Schulz himself. He is hardly dependent on his
political stuff for great material; look at how he's handled B.D.'s
wounding and rehabilitation.

Piraro is shrill and annoying as hell when he gets into his Smug Vegan
Bicyclist mode, but he's still got some terrific stuff in him.

Tom Tomorrow has his space, I suppose. He amuses me on the rare
occasions I run into his work, but if I had to see it every day, I'd
probably hate it.

Nicole Hollander ... more "bleh" than "meh" here.

Ted Rall is such a colossal prick that it's hard to assess whether
there is real talent there. After giving the matter a lot of thought,
I personally have concluded that being a colossal prick *is* his
talent.

Mike Beede

Dec 23, 2008, 9:02:54 PM12/23/08
In article <gipj08$gun$2...@reader1.panix.com>,
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

> After giving the matter a lot of thought,
> I personally have concluded that being a colossal prick *is* his
> talent.

Unfortunately, there isn't as much demand for that in the comics
arena as in . . . other areas of the entertainment industry.

Mike Beede

Jym Dyer

Dec 24, 2008, 2:50:53 PM12/24/08
> Piraro is shrill and annoying as hell when he gets into his
> Smug Vegan Bicyclist mode, but he's still got some terrific
> stuff in him.

=v= Um, *I'M* the bicyclist. He rides a Vespa. (Actually he
has a spiffy nice Pedersen bicycle, but I've never seen it.)
Shrillfully,
<_Jym_>

Veronique

Dec 24, 2008, 2:54:03 PM12/24/08