Luann RESET BUTTON ALERT

O fan

Jun 16, 2008, 11:35:06 AM6/16/08
SPOILER SPACE

Uh-oh. Reset button pending. TJ's about to burn down that nice
little house that Brad lives in. What do you want to bet that:

1. The House burns down and Brad has to move home
2. Toni is killed putting out the fire
3. Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.

Oh... wait. This isn't Funky. It probably won't be that much of a
downer.

(And speaking of Funky, we STILL haven't learned Wally's fate.)

Rob Wynne

Jun 16, 2008, 11:50:53 AM6/16/08

He eventually became the Flash, after the death of Barry Allen.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 16, 2008, 2:19:29 PM6/16/08
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:35:06 -0700 (PDT), O fan <dcrav...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I actually saw this as an excuse to have Brad move in with Toni . .
.

Joseph Nebus

Jun 16, 2008, 3:18:20 PM6/16/08
O fan <dcrav...@gmail.com> writes:

>SPOILER SPACE

>Uh-oh. Reset button pending. TJ's about to burn down that nice
>little house that Brad lives in. What do you want to bet that:

>1. The House burns down and Brad has to move home
>2. Toni is killed putting out the fire
>3. Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
>into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.

>Oh... wait. This isn't Funky. It probably won't be that much of a
>downer.

Have I missed the canonization of a group in-joke around here?
Around 2001/02 I suppose that I expected, as much as anyone in the
group here did, that Brad the Firefighter would soon putter out and
the strip would find a 'reset button' back to its old state, but the
various big changes -- Aaron Hill being exiled from the strip, Brad
getting a life, mostly -- have got so well-established that trying to
undo them would be awfully confusing.

>(And speaking of Funky, we STILL haven't learned Wally's fate.)

Funky was keeping Wally chained in the cellar, stuffing him
full of wheats and hops, so that every now and then a chunk of flesh
could be sliced off Wally's body and fed into the 'special' pepperoni
mixture. But now Wally's body has deteriorated so badly that what's
left is horrid-tasting and preemptively rancid, resulting in the
notorious 'loss of quality' that got mentioned when that magazine
cover established indisputibly that New Funky deserved to be slapped
every time he said or did something or thought about it.

--
Joseph Nebus

Dann

Jun 16, 2008, 10:25:59 PM6/16/08
On 16 Jun 2008, O fan said the following in news:99bfa594-e461-488e-ab24-
5d5de4...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com.

> Uh-oh. Reset button pending. TJ's about to burn down that nice
> little house that Brad lives in. What do you want to bet that:
>
> 1. The House burns down and Brad has to move home
> 2. Toni is killed putting out the fire
> 3. Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
> into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.

4. TJ gets dumped to the curb and Brad moves in with Toni....her niece
being a more than adequate form of birth control.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

cryptoguy

Jun 17, 2008, 11:06:54 AM6/17/08
On Jun 16, 10:25 pm, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2008, O fan said the following in news:99bfa594-e461-488e-ab24-
> 5d5de4b14...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com.

> > Uh-oh.  Reset button pending.   TJ's about to burn down that nice
> > little house that Brad lives in.  What do you want to bet that:
>
> > 1.    The House burns down and Brad has to move home
> > 2.  Toni is killed putting out the fire
> > 3.  Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
> > into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.
>
> 4. TJ gets dumped to the curb and Brad moves in with Toni....her niece
> being a more than adequate form of birth control.

I think this (17 June strip) is the first time we've seen TJ with
his eyes open. He has actually Lost His Cool. About damn time.

It does look like this may well portend a significant change
in the strip's trajectory. I hope so.

pt

Jym Dyer

Jun 17, 2008, 12:25:49 PM6/17/08
=v= A stove with a flammable cabinet above it, rather than
a range hood? The slumlords who own this place (and we all
know who they are) are in for a stiff fine from the Fire
Marshall.
<_Jym_>

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jun 17, 2008, 12:29:09 PM6/17/08
In article <Jym.17Jun20...@econet.org>,

That's what I've got. It's called "grandfathered". Besides,
you're supposed to pay attention while you're cooking.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Tove Momerathsson

Jun 17, 2008, 4:20:51 PM6/17/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <Jym.17Jun20...@econet.org>,
> Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>>
>> =v= A stove with a flammable cabinet above it, rather than
>> a range hood? The slumlords who own this place (and we all
>> know who they are) are in for a stiff fine from the Fire
>> Marshall.
>> <_Jym_>
>
> That's what I've got. It's called "grandfathered". Besides,
> you're supposed to pay attention while you're cooking.
>
> Ted

And not have the music so high that you can't hear the beeping
of the smoke alarm...

Tove

unMichael

Jun 17, 2008, 4:41:55 PM6/17/08
On Jun 16, 10:25 pm, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2008, O fan said the following in news:99bfa594-e461-488e-ab24-
> 5d5de4b14...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com.

> > Uh-oh. Reset button pending. TJ's about to burn down that nice
> > little house that Brad lives in. What do you want to bet that:
>
> > 1. The House burns down and Brad has to move home
> > 2. Toni is killed putting out the fire
> > 3. Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
> > into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.
>
> 4. TJ gets dumped to the curb and Brad moves in with Toni....her niece
> being a more than adequate form of birth control.

5. Brad's parents force him to throw TJ out. Fortunately for him,
Toni has a spare room.

Freezer

Jun 17, 2008, 5:35:47 PM6/17/08
If I don't respond to this Tove Momerathsson post, the terrorists win.

>> That's what I've got. It's called "grandfathered". Besides,
>> you're supposed to pay attention while you're cooking.
>

> And not have the music so high that you can't hear the beeping
> of the smoke alarm...

Smoke alarm, hell. There's no way somenoe could be that close to food
burning that energetically and not have smelled smoke LONG before the
flames got that high

--
My name is:
____ _

aemeijers

Jun 17, 2008, 6:30:57 PM6/17/08
Dann wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2008, O fan said the following in news:99bfa594-e461-488e-ab24-
> 5d5de4...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com.
>

>> Uh-oh. Reset button pending. TJ's about to burn down that nice
>> little house that Brad lives in. What do you want to bet that:
>>
>> 1. The House burns down and Brad has to move home
>> 2. Toni is killed putting out the fire
>> 3. Brad is so depressed, he quits the fire Department, moves back
>> into the parent's basement, and goes back to the hot dog stand.
>
> 4. TJ gets dumped to the curb and Brad moves in with Toni....her niece
> being a more than adequate form of birth control.

Anything that gets rid of Eddie Haskell, er, TJ, can't be all bad.

It is given there will be no shack-up between Brad and Toni- this IS
Luann, after all. But maybe this will be the excuse for Ma 'n' Pa
DeGroot to ban TJ from their universe. If the house is seriously
damaged, Brad may move home- hell, he seems to hang out and eat there a
whole lot anyway.

--
aem sends...

aemeijers

Jun 17, 2008, 6:34:35 PM6/17/08
Freezer wrote:
> If I don't respond to this Tove Momerathsson post, the terrorists win.
>
>>> That's what I've got. It's called "grandfathered". Besides,
>>> you're supposed to pay attention while you're cooking.
>> And not have the music so high that you can't hear the beeping
>> of the smoke alarm...
>
> Smoke alarm, hell. There's no way somenoe could be that close to food
> burning that energetically and not have smelled smoke LONG before the
> flames got that high

Spoken like a man without allergies. Of course, with flames that high,
the radiated heat and dancing light should have been a clue. Has anyone
seen tomorrow's strip? So far, it just looks like a pan fire, which any
experienced cook (which TJ supposedly is) keeps a big lid handy for.

--
aem sends....

Dann

Jun 17, 2008, 8:16:05 PM6/17/08
On 17 Jun 2008, Freezer said the following in

> If I don't respond to this Tove Momerathsson post, the terrorists win.
>
>>> That's what I've got. It's called "grandfathered". Besides,
>>> you're supposed to pay attention while you're cooking.
>>
>> And not have the music so high that you can't hear the beeping
>> of the smoke alarm...
>
> Smoke alarm, hell. There's no way somenoe could be that close to food
> burning that energetically and not have smelled smoke LONG before the
> flames got that high

IME, smoke alarms aren't there to warn about potential trouble. They are
there to let you know that trouble has invaded and some very short order
decisions about whether to fight or flee are in order.

From the strip, it looks like grease/oil in a pan caught fire. Those
things will take you from hero to zero in no time at all.

While I don't like TJ and would have gladly watched him get bounced for
his past behavior, this problem doesn't really look to be the result of
typical-TJ-gross-neglect. More like bad luck.

LNER...@juno.com

Jun 17, 2008, 9:31:53 PM6/17/08
Stranger yet:

Brad's a firefighter, and there isn't (I'm betting--I could still be
proven wrong) a fire extinguisher handy?

I was a volunteer firefighter for only a short while, and I've lost
count of how many fire extinguishers I have in my apartment and
car........... Okay, small halogen at the computer desk, two Keddie
dry-chems in the kitchen doorways, another in the hall near the door/
bedroom, and a big CO2 one in the car. Oh, and a medium dry-chem
awaiting servicing after knocking down a car fire before the fire
department around the corner got there. (No, not my car.)

Charlie Foxtrot

Jun 18, 2008, 4:18:55 AM6/18/08
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:06:54 -0700 (PDT), cryptoguy
<treif...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think this (17 June strip) is the first time we've seen TJ with
>his eyes open. He has actually Lost His Cool. About damn time.

The thing I noticed was that I think it's the first time I've seen TJ
without that constant idiotic smile.

Foxtrot
If you think you hate me from what I write here, check out my blog on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/bennettron

If you actually think I'm an okay guy, go ahead and add me as your friend if you are active at MySpace.

Jim Strain

Jun 18, 2008, 11:38:10 AM6/18/08

Yep, my kid's a paramedic based with a fire company and not long after
he got that job, his mother and I got extinguishers for Christmas.
Beats cheap cologne or a tie.
. . . jim strain in san diego.