Status quo in post-2008-ten years-jump Funky Winkerbean

lo...@my-deja.com

Aug 13, 2008, 7:06:17 AM8/13/08
A young (and exclusive, to boot) Superman writer, an arrogant head of
a Pizza franchise that expanded into NYC of all places, a natural-born
athletic star, an overnight band leader.

Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit _too_
successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 13, 2008, 8:27:30 AM8/13/08

Although the jump was supposed to be ten years, seems more like
fifteen years to me. Summer was just a toddler when Lisa died and now
she is 16-ish. A fifteen year jump would make some of the changes
inthe lives of the cast memebers a lot more believable.

Jym Dyer

Aug 13, 2008, 11:45:32 AM8/13/08
> Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit
> _too_ successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?

=v= Apparently, while Ellie wasn't looking, Dr. Rod^H^H^HJohn
Patterson found the time to cross Lake Erie and spread some
of his fantastical success genes around Ohio.
<_Jym_>

Beefies

Aug 13, 2008, 2:02:14 PM8/13/08
> Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit _too_
> successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?

It's all right for them to be unbelievably successful as long as they're all
still miserable.

Brian F.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 13, 2008, 2:12:21 PM8/13/08

Lets' see:

I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .

Funky's success is clearly on the verge of a reality check, if Tony's
reaction (and imminent "pizza intervention") is any indication . . .

Sure, Summer's an athletic phenom, but that won't change who her
father is . . .

If "overnight band leader" refers to Becky, she'd been working with
Harry since well before the time jump, much less his retirement; she
has more than earned that position. All with one arm to boot!

lo...@my-deja.com

Aug 13, 2008, 3:38:53 PM8/13/08
On 13 ago, 15:12, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit _too_
> >successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?
>
>    Lets' see:
>
> I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
> previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
> Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .

Well, he seems happy enough to get to write Superman. And frankly,
who can blame him? He's probably not even 30 yet.

> Funky's success is clearly on the verge of a reality check, if Tony's
> reaction (and imminent "pizza intervention") is any indication . . .

While things do indeed seem to be headed towards a confrontation
between Toni and Funky on the matter of the pizza franchise, it did
successfully expand into NYC all the same. Quite an acomplishment for
Funky, even if he cheated somehow - which he probably didn't. Tony
apparently is just more conservative about the pizza recipe than Funky
is.

> Sure, Summer's an athletic phenom, but that won't change who her
> father is . . .

Which compounds the problem, actually. Summer's been presented as
such an exceptional athlete that one would expect her only living
parent to be quite involved in her career, which he apparently isn't.

> If "overnight band leader" refers to Becky, she'd been working with
> Harry since well before the time jump, much less his retirement; she
> has more than earned that position.  All with one arm to boot!

My point exactly. It seems just a bit too coincidental that Becky, of
all people involved with the band, ended up being Harry's successor.
All the more so because she herself was surprised by that choice and
showed quite a bit of unsecurity while performing the role. Maybe she
is actually quite competent, but the strip did little to reinforce
that impression.

Invid Fan

Aug 13, 2008, 4:39:57 PM8/13/08
In article <6n86a4lfgvj2dmkse...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:06:17 -0700 (PDT), lo...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >A young (and exclusive, to boot) Superman writer, an arrogant head of
> >a Pizza franchise that expanded into NYC of all places, a natural-born
> >athletic star, an overnight band leader.
> >
> >Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit _too_
> >successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?
>
> Lets' see:
>
> I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
> previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
> Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .

Only if he has his own characters. Some people are happier playing with
existing ones, and there's nothing wrong with that...

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Paul Ciszek

Aug 13, 2008, 8:00:11 PM8/13/08

In article <130820081639571443%in...@loclanet.com>,

Dark Horse is part of DC, and Gaiman did a *lot* of eerie stuff with
existing DC characters for them.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 13, 2008, 8:33:09 PM8/13/08
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:38:53 -0700 (PDT), lo...@my-deja.com wrote:

>On 13 ago, 15:12, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>> >Is it just me, or is the Funky Winkerbean cast just a bit _too_
>> >successful to be believable after this ten-year jump?
>>
>>    Lets' see:
>>
>> I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
>> previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
>> Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .
>
>Well, he seems happy enough to get to write Superman. And frankly,
>who can blame him? He's probably not even 30 yet.
>
>> Funky's success is clearly on the verge of a reality check, if Tony's
>> reaction (and imminent "pizza intervention") is any indication . . .
>
>While things do indeed seem to be headed towards a confrontation
>between Toni and Funky on the matter of the pizza franchise, it did
>successfully expand into NYC all the same. Quite an acomplishment for
>Funky, even if he cheated somehow - which he probably didn't. Tony
>apparently is just more conservative about the pizza recipe than Funky
>is.

Oh it's been rather clear Funky's been skimping on the
ingredients; more profit (incuding to fund a NY expansion), but at the
cost of pizza quality . . .

>> Sure, Summer's an athletic phenom, but that won't change who her
>> father is . . .
>
>Which compounds the problem, actually. Summer's been presented as
>such an exceptional athlete that one would expect her only living
>parent to be quite involved in her career, which he apparently isn't.
>

>> If "overnight band leader" refers to Becky, she'd been working with
>> Harry since well before the time jump, much less his retirement; she
>> has more than earned that position.  All with one arm to boot!
>
>My point exactly.

Huh?

It seems just a bit too coincidental that Becky, of
>all people involved with the band, ended up being Harry's successor.
>All the more so because she herself was surprised by that choice and
>showed quite a bit of unsecurity while performing the role. Maybe she
>is actually quite competent, but the strip did little to reinforce
>that impression.

It helps to kiss up to the teacher! Competence helps, but it only
gets you so far. Returning to school, keeping as close to Harry as
possible obviously influenced his decision to pass the torch to her.
Performance-wise, don't forget: before the accident she'd been
accepted to Juilliard; with those potential credentials, high school
band leader is far below where she should be . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

D. D. Degg

Aug 13, 2008, 9:35:01 PM8/13/08
On Aug 13, 12:38 pm, l...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> > I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
> > previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
> > Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .
>
> Well, he seems happy enough to get to write Superman. And frankly,
> who can blame him? He's probably not even 30 yet.

What started this week was a three week sequence
celebrating the creation of Superman.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/syndicates/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003837835

While most of the comic world will be celebrating
the 70th anniversary of Superman appearing in Action Comics,
Batiuk will be celebrating the 75th anniversary of
Superman being created.
http://www.funkywinkerbean.com/blogs.html

D.D.Degg

Invid Fan

Aug 13, 2008, 10:21:48 PM8/13/08
In article <g7vsib$gmh$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Paul Ciszek
<nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> In article <130820081639571443%in...@loclanet.com>,
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> >In article <6n86a4lfgvj2dmkse...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
> >Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
> >> previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
> >> Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .
> >>
> >Only if he has his own characters. Some people are happier playing with
> >existing ones, and there's nothing wrong with that...
>
> Dark Horse is part of DC, and Gaiman did a *lot* of eerie stuff with
> existing DC characters for them.

I assume you mean Vertigo, and the subdivision was set up after Sandman
had been going for awhile...

Paul Ciszek

Aug 14, 2008, 1:46:44 AM8/14/08

In article <130820082221489870%in...@loclanet.com>,

Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
>In article <g7vsib$gmh$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Paul Ciszek
><nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <130820081639571443%in...@loclanet.com>,
>> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:

>> >Only if he has his own characters. Some people are happier playing with
>> >existing ones, and there's nothing wrong with that...
>>
>> Dark Horse is part of DC, and Gaiman did a *lot* of eerie stuff with
>> existing DC characters for them.
>
>I assume you mean Vertigo, and the subdivision was set up after Sandman
>had been going for awhile...

Whoops. Yeah, Vertigo. But in addition to Sandman (which also had weird
cameos by DC characters) Gaiman wrote storylines in which the main
characters were existing DC characters, but done very differently.
Swamp Thing and the original Sandman were among them. Although
Gaiman's Wesley Dodds Sandman story definately lies within his greater
"Sandman" universe.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Windsor Morgan

Aug 14, 2008, 6:29:22 AM8/14/08

In article
<28821f94-376d-465d...@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Although the jump was supposed to be ten years, seems more like
> fifteen years to me. Summer was just a toddler when Lisa died and now
> she is 16-ish. A fifteen year jump would make some of the changes
> inthe lives of the cast memebers a lot more believable.

I think it is about right, actually. There was a strip last year where
Lisa and Les take Summer to her first day of school (probably
kindergarten). Lisa reminds Summer that Lisa had promised to be there
for the first day of school, and after Summer walks in, Lisa collapses
and tells Les to get the car...

Kindergarten is 5 years old, so Summer could be 15.

--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'
Windsor Morgan

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 14, 2008, 7:10:26 AM8/14/08
On Aug 14, 6:29 am, Windsor Morgan <windsormor...@verizon.net> wrote:
> In article
> <28821f94-376d-465d-994c-e16e60308...@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

>  Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Although the jump was supposed to be ten years, seems more like
> > fifteen years to me. Summer was just a toddler when Lisa died and now
> > she is 16-ish. A fifteen year jump would make some of the changes
> > inthe lives of the cast memebers a lot more believable.
>
> I think it is about right, actually.  There was a strip last year where
> Lisa and Les take Summer to her first day of school (probably
> kindergarten).  Lisa reminds Summer that Lisa had promised to be there
> for the first day of school, and after Summer walks in, Lisa collapses
> and tells Les to get the car...
>
> Kindergarten is 5 years old, so Summer could be 15.
>
> --
> 'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'
> Windsor Morgan
> Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

OK, I guess I just remember young Summer in that toddler stage.

Rob Wynne

Aug 14, 2008, 12:25:29 PM8/14/08
Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> In article <130820082221489870%in...@loclanet.com>,
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
>>In article <g7vsib$gmh$1...@reader1.panix.com>, Paul Ciszek
>><nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> Dark Horse is part of DC, and Gaiman did a *lot* of eerie stuff with
>>> existing DC characters for them.
>>
>>I assume you mean Vertigo, and the subdivision was set up after Sandman
>>had been going for awhile...
>
> Whoops. Yeah, Vertigo. But in addition to Sandman (which also had weird
> cameos by DC characters) Gaiman wrote storylines in which the main
> characters were existing DC characters, but done very differently.
> Swamp Thing and the original Sandman were among them. Although
> Gaiman's Wesley Dodds Sandman story definately lies within his greater
> "Sandman" universe.

Swamp Thing was largely Alan Moore. I think Gaiman might have penned an
issue or two, here and there, but he was never the regular writer on the
book.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

racs...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2008, 1:02:31 PM8/14/08

Windsor Morgan wrote:
> In article
> <28821f94-376d-465d...@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
> Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Although the jump was supposed to be ten years, seems more like
> > fifteen years to me. Summer was just a toddler when Lisa died and now
> > she is 16-ish. A fifteen year jump would make some of the changes
> > inthe lives of the cast memebers a lot more believable.
>
> I think it is about right, actually. There was a strip last year where
> Lisa and Les take Summer to her first day of school (probably
> kindergarten). Lisa reminds Summer that Lisa had promised to be there
> for the first day of school, and after Summer walks in, Lisa collapses
> and tells Les to get the car...
>
> Kindergarten is 5 years old, so Summer could be 15.

Considering that last Sunday she watched the video her mother left for
her to watch on her 16th birthday, I hope she's 16.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Paul Ciszek

Aug 14, 2008, 3:18:38 PM8/14/08

In article <Z%Yok.769$AB3....@eagle.america.net>,
Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

>Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> Whoops. Yeah, Vertigo. But in addition to Sandman (which also had weird
>> cameos by DC characters) Gaiman wrote storylines in which the main
>> characters were existing DC characters, but done very differently.
>> Swamp Thing and the original Sandman were among them. Although
>> Gaiman's Wesley Dodds Sandman story definately lies within his greater
>> "Sandman" universe.
>>

>Swamp Thing was largely Alan Moore. I think Gaiman might have penned an
>issue or two, here and there, but he was never the regular writer on the
>book.

I wasn't saying he was.

trnco...@aol.com

Aug 14, 2008, 8:47:26 PM8/14/08
On Aug 13, 2:12�pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:06:17 -0700 (PDT), l...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I'll give Pete's success, but keep in mind he's working for DC, and
> previously for Marvel; a guy like him would probably be happier with
> Image, Dark Horse, or one of the indie publishers . . .

I hear tell that DC was close to signing Batiuk to be the new writer
for Superman, but it fell through because his ideas required more
kryptonite than Krypton used to weigh :/

Dann

Aug 14, 2008, 9:11:58 PM8/14/08
On 14 Aug 2008, said the following in news:b13db2fe-e8ff-4289-8633-
c9b00e...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com.

ROFL!!

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Jym Dyer

Aug 15, 2008, 11:47:09 AM8/15/08
> Swamp Thing was largely Alan Moore. I think Gaiman might
> have penned an issue or two, here and there, but he was
> never the regular writer on the book.

=v= I don't recall Gaiman ever actually being involved.
Alan Moore's brilliant run was followed by another brilliant
run by Rick Veitch. Veitch's last issue had a controversial
element and was pulled by DC/Vertigo.

=v= The plan was for Gaiman was to take over writing the strip
afterwards, but in the face of this censorship, he declined to.
The feature was then written by a succession of hacks, Nancy
Collins in particular, who totally ruined it.
<_Jym_>

johndun...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2008, 2:14:17 AM8/16/08
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:33:09 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:38:53 -0700 (PDT), lo...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
>>On 13 ago, 15:12, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>> It seems just a bit too coincidental that Becky, of
>>all people involved with the band, ended up being Harry's successor.
>>All the more so because she herself was surprised by that choice and
>>showed quite a bit of unsecurity while performing the role. Maybe she
>>is actually quite competent, but the strip did little to reinforce
>>that impression.
>
> It helps to kiss up to the teacher! Competence helps, but it only
>gets you so far. Returning to school, keeping as close to Harry as
>possible obviously influenced his decision to pass the torch to her.
>Performance-wise, don't forget: before the accident she'd been
>accepted to Juilliard; with those potential credentials, high school
>band leader is far below where she should be . . .

Harry didn't fully retire until after the ten year gap. He was the music director for the school
district and therefore Becky's boss. If she needed help he would have been there. Ten years should
be more than long enough to settle into that sort of position. Heck it is even time to influence
what comes out of the farm teams (elementary schools).
-
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)
Brought to you by the Binks for Senate campaign comittee.
Coruscant is far, far away from wesa on Naboo.

johndun...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2008, 2:16:34 AM8/16/08
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:18:38 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <Z%Yok.769$AB3....@eagle.america.net>,
>Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>>Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Whoops. Yeah, Vertigo. But in addition to Sandman (which also had weird
>>> cameos by DC characters) Gaiman wrote storylines in which the main
>>> characters were existing DC characters, but done very differently.
>>> Swamp Thing and the original Sandman were among them. Although
>>> Gaiman's Wesley Dodds Sandman story definately lies within his greater
>>> "Sandman" universe.
>>>

>>Swamp Thing was largely Alan Moore. I think Gaiman might have penned an
>>issue or two, here and there, but he was never the regular writer on the
>>book.
>
>I wasn't saying he was.

It read that way.