Candorville (8-30 and this week)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 30, 2008, 1:10:24 AM8/30/08
It started great with Clyde's famous lack of subtlety, and this
twist even I didn't see coming is frosting on the cake!:

<http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080830.html>

<http://www.gocomics.com/candorville/2008/08/30/>

My prediction: while "Mr. E" is indeed not the father, he'll still
demand the DNA test that Lemont is too reluctant to, thus revealing
the actual father (not Lemont); of course, the identity of the real
father should be equally fun!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Joseph Nebus

Aug 30, 2008, 3:35:58 AM8/30/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

> It started great with Clyde's famous lack of subtlety, and this
>twist even I didn't see coming is frosting on the cake!:

><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080830.html>

> <http://www.gocomics.com/candorville/2008/08/30/>

Oh, yes. I got off to a bad start with this sequence because
the Monday strip wasn't posted on time for some reason, but this has
made for first a respectable development on the 'whose kid is it,
anyway?' storyline, and a much better twist on trying to find some joke
to make about Edwards.

> My prediction: while "Mr. E" is indeed not the father, he'll still
>demand the DNA test that Lemont is too reluctant to, thus revealing
>the actual father (not Lemont); of course, the identity of the real
>father should be equally fun!

I admit to coming to the strip relatively late; is there
much reason -- and I grant the weirdness of whatsername's overall
behaviour would make me suspicious in the situation -- to think
that Lemont isn't the child's father?

The personal problem for Lemont seems to have been set up
with pretty good balance about making it credible and giving no easy
ways out. Having proof that the child wasn't Lemont's would seem to
be too easy a way out, if he took that as justification to never see
the kid again.

--
Joseph Nebus

Paul Ciszek

Aug 30, 2008, 11:07:39 AM8/30/08

In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,

Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:

> The personal problem for Lemont seems to have been set up
>with pretty good balance about making it credible and giving no easy
>ways out. Having proof that the child wasn't Lemont's would seem to
>be too easy a way out, if he took that as justification to never see
>the kid again.

Unfaithulness is certain grounds for not marrying a woman, and there
is no grounds for child support. At that point, I doubt she would
LET him see the kid again.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Joseph Nebus

Aug 30, 2008, 2:11:14 PM8/30/08
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) writes:

>In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,
>Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The personal problem for Lemont seems to have been set up
>>with pretty good balance about making it credible and giving no easy
>>ways out. Having proof that the child wasn't Lemont's would seem to
>>be too easy a way out, if he took that as justification to never see
>>the kid again.

>Unfaithulness is certain grounds for not marrying a woman, and there
>is no grounds for child support. At that point, I doubt she would
>LET him see the kid again.

Granted that there's not much predicting what whatsername
would do provided that the child wasn't Lemont's and that Lemont had
proof of that.

But what I'm thinking of is Lemont's actions, and feelings. It
seems to me what he's been most motivated by in this storyline has been
the fear of the kid growing up fatherless, and that state being his
fault. It seems plausible to me he might feel that even if the child
isn't his, he still has the chance to be a father to him, and that it
would be a failing of his moral strength if he didn't take that chance.

So all I'm really saying is that I don't think the story is
going to have an easy or clean way out, and even if there were a
quick solution proving Lemont had no biological or legal responsibility
to the kid that may not matter to what he feels, and that feeling would
guide his actions.

--
Joseph Nebus

Brian Huntley

Aug 30, 2008, 11:08:49 PM8/30/08
On Aug 30, 2:11 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
> nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) writes:
> >In article <nebusj.1220081...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,

> >Joseph Nebus <nebu...@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
>
> >>        The personal problem for Lemont seems to have been set up
> >>with pretty good balance about making it credible and giving no easy
> >>ways out.  Having proof that the child wasn't Lemont's would seem to
> >>be too easy a way out, if he took that as justification to never see
> >>the kid again.
> >Unfaithulness is certain grounds for not marrying a woman, and there
> >is no grounds for child support.  At that point, I doubt she would
> >LET him see the kid again.
>
>         Granted that there's not much predicting what whatsername
> would do provided that the child wasn't Lemont's and that Lemont had
> proof of that.
>
>         But what I'm thinking of is Lemont's actions, and feelings.  It
> seems to me what he's been most motivated by in this storyline has been
> the fear of the kid growing up fatherless, and that state being his
> fault.  It seems plausible to me he might feel that even if the child
> isn't his, he still has the chance to be a father to him, and that it
> would be a failing of his moral strength if he didn't take that chance.
>
>         So all I'm really saying is that I don't think the story is
> going to have an easy or clean way out, and even if there were a
> quick solution proving Lemont had no biological or legal responsibility
> to the kid that may not matter to what he feels, and that feeling would
> guide his actions.

Very well put, Joseph. That level of depth would be quite something in
a strip - although Darrin Bell *does* sometimes move at a Mary
Worthian pace. I continue to read the strip everyday.

After Lemont's kid graduates high school, will he attend Oliver Otis
University?

Paul Ciszek

Aug 31, 2008, 2:44:02 PM8/31/08

In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,
Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:

> So all I'm really saying is that I don't think the story is
>going to have an easy or clean way out, and even if there were a
>quick solution proving Lemont had no biological or legal responsibility

Actually there is a simple test that should be able to confirm that John
Edwards is not the father, that requires only a well-lit room.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Carl Fink

Aug 31, 2008, 9:23:07 PM8/31/08
On 2008-08-31, Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,
> Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
>>
>> So all I'm really saying is that I don't think the story is
>>going to have an easy or clean way out, and even if there were a
>>quick solution proving Lemont had no biological or legal responsibility
>
> Actually there is a simple test that should be able to confirm that John
> Edwards is not the father, that requires only a well-lit room.

It isn't that simple. Many African-Americans have some European ancestry,
and many "whites" have a black ancestor or two. Two dark-brown-skinned types
can produce a very light-skinned offspring, or a white man and black woman
produce a quite dark-skinned child.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!