Luann - So what DOES TJ do?

cryptoguy

Jul 8, 2008, 10:59:36 AM7/8/08
In Luann, TJ has moved in with Brad's parents
while the house he burned is repaired (Brad is
staying at the firehouse).

Brad's parents, for the last couple strips, have
been wondering just what he does for a living.

This is a game we can all play....

Lets see....
Snappy dresser.
Seems to keep in shape - good looking.
Cooks like a dream.
Can renovate houses.
Hasn't seriously tried to move in on Toni
(or any other girl we've seen, for that matter,
though he talks the talk).
Gives Brad relationship advice (not always
good advice though).

The answers I come up with, (based on
stereotypes, to be sure) might not
meet with editorial approval....

Peter Trei

C The Shocker

Jul 8, 2008, 2:15:36 PM7/8/08
"cryptoguy" <treif...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In Luann, TJ has moved in with Brad's parents
> while the house he burned is repaired (Brad is
> staying at the firehouse).
>
> Brad's parents, for the last couple strips, have
> been wondering just what he does for a living.
>
> This is a game we can all play....
>
> Lets see....
> Snappy dresser.
> Seems to keep in shape - good looking.
> Cooks like a dream.
> Can renovate houses.
> Hasn't seriously tried to move in on Toni
> (or any other girl we've seen, for that matter,
> though he talks the talk).
> Gives Brad relationship advice (not always
> good advice though).

Food Network show host?

--
C The Shocker
On Usenet, you're nothing, and I'm a GIANT.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 8, 2008, 5:10:29 PM7/8/08

1. Errr, that's not a job . . .

2. Ummm, this is TJ, the guy who:
- Got downright violent with Brad over neighbor-girl Dianne.
- Showed interest in Toni when this particlular arc started.
- Was more than eager to move in with Toni as well.
- IIRC, has a thing with Tiffany for a while.
- Escorted Luann to one of her dances.
- Has never shown anything remotely resembling interest in other
men.

Just sayin', it helps to look beyond the stereotypes, you know, to
those things that actually matter . . .

Freezer

Jul 8, 2008, 6:12:18 PM7/8/08
If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
win.

> 2. Ummm, this is TJ, the guy who:
> - Got downright violent with Brad over neighbor-girl Dianne.
> - Showed interest in Toni when this particlular arc started.
> - Was more than eager to move in with Toni as well.
> - IIRC, has a thing with Tiffany for a while.
> - Escorted Luann to one of her dances.
> - Has never shown anything remotely resembling interest in other
> men.
>
> Just sayin', it helps to look beyond the stereotypes, you know, to
> those things that actually matter . .

That spells "Pimp" to me. (Or "Giggalo")

--
My name is:
____ _

Dann

Jul 8, 2008, 8:25:17 PM7/8/08
On 08 Jul 2008, cryptoguy said the following in news:b965fa73-a366-4c83-
907d-bfc...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com.

> In Luann, TJ has moved in with Brad's parents
> while the house he burned is repaired (Brad is
> staying at the firehouse).
>
> Brad's parents, for the last couple strips, have
> been wondering just what he does for a living.
>
> This is a game we can all play....

Deuce Bigalow??

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Rusty

Jul 8, 2008, 8:27:01 PM7/8/08
Freezer wrote:
> If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
> win.
>
>> 2. Ummm, this is TJ, the guy who:
>> - Got downright violent with Brad over neighbor-girl Dianne.
>> - Showed interest in Toni when this particlular arc started.
>> - Was more than eager to move in with Toni as well.
>> - IIRC, has a thing with Tiffany for a while.
>> - Escorted Luann to one of her dances.
>> - Has never shown anything remotely resembling interest in other
>> men.
>>
>> Just sayin', it helps to look beyond the stereotypes, you know, to
>> those things that actually matter . .
>
> That spells "Pimp" to me. (Or "Giggalo")

I was thinking male escort...

Lothar Frings

Jul 9, 2008, 4:35:35 AM7/9/08
cryptoguy wrote:

> This is a game we can all play....
>
> Lets see....
> Snappy dresser.
> Seems to keep in shape - good looking.
> Cooks like a dream.
> Can renovate houses.
> Hasn't seriously tried to move in on Toni
> (or any other girl we've seen, for that matter,
> though he talks the talk).
> Gives Brad relationship advice (not always
> good advice though).
>
> The answers I come up with, (based on
> stereotypes, to be sure) might not
> meet with editorial approval....

Ok, "Can renovate houses" doesn't quite
fit in but I see what you're aiming at
with the rest. You think he's a space
alien in disguise, and they can't really
tell men from women so they made a
slight mistake?

cryptoguy

Jul 9, 2008, 12:51:41 PM7/9/08

I sit (possibly) corrected. (Teenage boys can change, after all.)

I'm pretty sure that TJ's meant to be straight. But I would
like to see others' ideas of how he makes a living. It's the
current topic of the strip.

Peter Trei

racs...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2008, 6:07:00 AM7/9/08

Executive Assistant to Ozzie Harrington

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Message has been deleted

Mike Marshall

Jul 9, 2008, 10:36:18 AM7/9/08
dagb...@LART.ca (Dave Brown) writes:
>This from the delightfully-geeky album "Kamakiriad," from which most of
>the songs sound like they would fit in perfectly well in Asimov's
>magazine's "poetry" section.

Nothing's better than his first two albums...

-Mike "third one... hasn't grown on me yet"

Night Owl

Jul 9, 2008, 2:55:13 PM7/9/08

Based on the tweed jacket and the wide brimmed hat. I'd say he works
in a 1950's era office building. Also he is over 40 years old but due
to living in a comic strip, he has aged really well.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 9, 2008, 3:44:24 PM7/9/08
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:51:41 -0700 (PDT), cryptoguy
<treif...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pimp seems to be the popular one . . .

aemeijers

Jul 9, 2008, 5:50:04 PM7/9/08
Not in this strip. But with the retro clothes and Eddie Haskell manners,
I could see him working in a dance studio, the kind that caters to
blue-hair widow ladies. I know, that is just the G-rated euphonism for
gigolo. (my spell check says I spelled it wrong, but it doesn't know the
right way either.)

--
aem sends...

Nick Theodorakis

Jul 9, 2008, 7:57:52 PM7/9/08
On Jul 9, 8:08 am, dagbr...@LART.ca (Dave Brown) wrote:

> I think Donald Fagen tackled this sort of situation:

How odd. Would you believe that I have Steely Dan playing this moment?

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

parto the p

Jul 9, 2008, 10:59:09 PM7/9/08
The only thing on that second list says to me is "Still in the
closet." ;-)

TJ has never seriously pursued a girl. List number one runs down a
pretty good list that shouts 'Come on out, TJ! The water is fine and
Brad's a stand-up guy and won't hate you (Even when you admit to that
crush you have on him).' I'd only edit "renovate houses" to "knack for
interior design" and add "Knows his way around a dance floor".

Occupation? I"ll guess male model. That would account for the free
time when others are doing the 9 to 5 thing, and his occasional
protracted absences.

parto the p

Veronique

Jul 10, 2008, 12:00:29 AM7/10/08

Did someone already conjecture waiter in a dinner theater?

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

unMichael

Jul 10, 2008, 11:31:45 AM7/10/08

I was thinking "barbershop quartet."

Peter B. Steiger

Jul 10, 2008, 1:18:56 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:31:45 -0700, unMichael sez:
> I was thinking "barbershop quartet."

On the one hand, his past behavior suggests that he's doing something
slightly sleazy (like conning the fire department and his friends into
paying for "free" dinners) but not flat-out illegal.

On the other hand, we're being led by the nose along with the DeGroots to
believe he's doing something wrong, which makes it far more likely that
the surprise "twist" in this arc is that it's something totally ethical,
perhaps even selfless.

As the bass in a barbershop quartet, I also feel obligated to add that
this is, indeed, a slightly sleazy activity but not very profitable
unless you're in Acoustix or the Gas House Gang.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Sherwood Harrington

Jul 10, 2008, 1:33:58 PM7/10/08
Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:31:45 -0700, unMichael sez:
>> I was thinking "barbershop quartet."

[...]

> As the bass in a barbershop quartet,

[...]

Yeah, that's what we were thinking. TJ looks *just like* the pictures of
you that we've seen.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Rolling Eyeballs, California

cryptoguy

Jul 10, 2008, 3:09:53 PM7/10/08

...I only hope you're not playing *with* Steely Dan.

pt

cryptoguy

Jul 10, 2008, 3:14:49 PM7/10/08

Over on Josh Reads the Comics, Josh notes:

"Have the DeGroots considered that Brad, who is
TJ’s closest friend and who has lived with him for
some time, might actually know where TJ gets his
money, and that they could ask him without any
embarrassment on their part? Ha ha, just kidding,
we’ve watched Brad’s attempts at romance over the
past couple of years, he obviously knows nothing
about anything."

- end quote -

Peter Trei

nickelshrink

Jul 11, 2008, 1:52:09 PM7/11/08

I'm gonna guess eBay, though i doubt he sells books.
Maybe he's running this store or one like it:

> http://stores.ebay.com/AsSeenOnTVGuys

He's got a storage unit for the merchandise. Goes
there with his laptop and uses a hijacked wifi signal from
the storage office to get his sales notices and do listings.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!