Daryl Cagle asks Cartoonists why they would put George Carlin at the Pearly Gates

D. D. Degg

Jun 25, 2008, 10:51:11 PM6/25/08
And some of them respond,
It is the June 24 entry, in case he posts again soon.
http://www.cagle.com/news/BLOG/main.asp

Here Jim Kidwell (who?) rates the cartoonists
on their cartoons about atheist George Carlin:
http://jimkidwell.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/george-carlin-was-an-athiest-lets-allow-him-to-be-that-mkay/

D.D.Degg

racs...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2008, 5:21:41 AM6/26/08
On Jun 25, 10:51 pm, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> And some of them respond,
> It is the June 24 entry, in case he posts again soon.http://www.cagle.com/news/BLOG/main.asp

> Here Jim Kidwell (who?) rates the cartoonists
> on their cartoons about atheist George Carlin:http://jimkidwell.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/george-carlin-was-an-athie...

They can protest all they want, but I found the cartoons suggesting
that they don't use the seven words in heaven to be quite an
affirmation of one style of Christianity -- and a kick in the ass to
both Carlin's work and the censorship he stood against. I'm not
surprised, but I'm disappointed, which is to say, I hoped for better
but didn't really expect it.

Kind of sad that professional humorists didn't see him as anything
more than "the guy who talked dirty." I've criticized editors for not
understanding comics because they don't think in visual metaphors, but
I kind of hoped that cartoonists could watch a standup work for 40
years or so and kind of sort of maybe a little bit figure out his
schtick.

Sorry, George. I guess we just didn't get it.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mike Beede

Jun 26, 2008, 7:49:04 PM6/26/08
In article
<c345b4a1-6778-429e...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
"pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They can protest all they want, but I found the cartoons suggesting
> that they don't use the seven words in heaven to be quite an
> affirmation of one style of Christianity -- and a kick in the ass to
> both Carlin's work and the censorship he stood against.

I guess you mean "and supportive of the kind of censorship he
stood against." If so, I agree, but I'm not surprised. It's
a lot easier to argue with a dead guy than a live one.

Mike Beede

rex...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2008, 9:59:40 PM6/26/08
On Jun 26, 5:49 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c345b4a1-6778-429e-aef9-8bbe4e5be...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

>  "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > They can protest all they want, but I found the cartoons suggesting
> > that they don't use the seven words in heaven to be quite an
> > affirmation of one style of Christianity -- and a kick in the ass to
> > both Carlin's work and the censorship he stood against.
>
> I guess you mean "and supportive of the kind of censorship he
> stood against."  If so, I agree, but I'm not surprised.  It's
> a lot easier to argue with a dead guy than a live one.
>
>    Mike Beede

_I_ put him there without hesitation.
http://baloocartoons.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/1georgecarlincolblog.jpg

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 26, 2008, 11:27:51 PM6/26/08

This one might be going in the atheist direction, apparently
comparing God to the Easter Bunny; and as real, presumably. If not
that, then a big-time CIDU . . .:

<http://www.gocomics.com/laloalcaraz/2008/06/24/>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Dann

Jun 27, 2008, 6:36:19 AM6/27/08
On 26 Jun 2008, said the following in

> On Jun 26, 5:49 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>> In article
>> <c345b4a1-6778-429e-aef9-8bbe4e5be...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>>  "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > They can protest all they want, but I found the cartoons suggesting
>> > that they don't use the seven words in heaven to be quite an
>> > affirmation of one style of Christianity -- and a kick in the ass
>> > to both Carlin's work and the censorship he stood against.
>>
>> I guess you mean "and supportive of the kind of censorship he
>> stood against."  If so, I agree, but I'm not surprised.  It's
>> a lot easier to argue with a dead guy than a live one.

Kinda proves the Deacon's point, IMO.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Darrin Bell

Jun 27, 2008, 5:43:44 PM6/27/08
On Jun 25, 7:51 pm, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> And some of them respond,
> It is the June 24 entry, in case he posts again soon.http://www.cagle.com/news/BLOG/main.asp

> Here Jim Kidwell (who?) rates the cartoonists
> on their cartoons about atheist George Carlin:http://jimkidwell.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/george-carlin-was-an-athie...
>
> D.D.Degg

Worst. Cartoons. Ever.

...Except for Lalo's - he's the only one I've seen who got it right.

racs...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2008, 10:49:14 PM6/27/08
On Jun 27, 5:43 pm, Darrin Bell <candorvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Worst. Cartoons. Ever.

I've posted some obituary cartoons of the past that didn't suck, along
with some related non-sucky editorial cartoons, on my blog. Come on
over and have a look -- it's easier to show them than to describe
them.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Darrin Bell

Jun 27, 2008, 11:39:46 PM6/27/08
On Jun 27, 7:49 pm, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I have to confess, I've done my share of obituary cartoons, mostly
when I was a freelancer in the '90s. I offered them not to opinion
pages, but to arts & entertainment sections (which is where I think
they belong, unless it's a political figure or the person's passing
has a profound or immediate political or societal impact). I've
USUALLY managed to steer clear of the Pearly Gates metaphor, but
haven't always succeeded. You could see those old cartoons at
http://www.rudypark.com/editorialcartoons/topic_tributes.asp