PBS 10-21

Charles Brubaker

Oct 21, 2008, 12:43:46 AM10/21/08
Wow, Pastis is bringing back some old characters to the strip. First
it was that beer-bong loving turtle, now this.

http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20081021.html

Laura Brown

Oct 21, 2008, 12:26:56 PM10/21/08

Is this the first time we've seen the killer whale since he was blown
up by the anemones' meatloaf?

(Of how many other strips could you ask *that* question?)

Laura Brown

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 21, 2008, 12:31:31 PM10/21/08
In article <6b5a63db-fe02-4530...@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can recall
was not a friend of rat's).

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 21, 2008, 12:47:56 PM10/21/08

That's my thought too; this is likely another orca that just happens
to look like the first one we were introduced to . . .

Peter B. Steiger

Oct 21, 2008, 12:54:58 PM10/21/08
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:26:56 -0700, Laura Brown sez:
> Is this the first time we've seen the killer whale since he was blown up
> by the anemones' meatloaf?

If I had a nickel for every time I heard *that* line...

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
zeroes where you see stars: wypbs.**1 at gmail.com

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Oct 21, 2008, 1:17:40 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 12:54 pm, "Peter B. Steiger" <see....@for.email.address>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:26:56 -0700, Laura Brown sez:
>
> > Is this the first time we've seen the killer whale since he was blown up
> > by the anemones' meatloaf?
>
> If I had a nickel for every time I heard *that* line...
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger

Well, you know what they say- An enema of my anemones is a frond of
mime. (At lest, I think Pastis said that...)

Peter B. Steiger

Oct 21, 2008, 1:43:51 PM10/21/08
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:17:40 -0700, Blinky the Wonder Wombat sez:
> Well, you know what they say- An enema of my anemones is a frond of
> mime. (At lest, I think Pastis said that...)

No, that was me. Waaaaay back when Compuserve was the biggest online
forum in the world (!) I was interested in raytracing (I think I've told
this story before), so I hung out on the siggraph forum. SIG.
whatever. Anyhow, folks were always experimenting with new techniques
and one guy created a terrific beach scene complete with fairly realistic
palm trees - I mean, you can only do so much using mathematical
expressions to describe the shape of an object, but those palm leaves
were truly a thing of beauty.

He posted the results of his 2-day rendering process and invited
suggestions... in particular, he wondered if he should have included more
sea creatures. In my entire life I have never had, and probably will
never again have, such a perfect straight line for the response that
followed:

With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Oct 21, 2008, 2:32:14 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 1:43 pm, "Peter B. Steiger" <see....@for.email.address>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:17:40 -0700, Blinky the Wonder Wombat sez:
>
> > Well, you know what they say- An enema of my anemones is a frond of
> > mime. (At lest, I think Pastis said that...)
>
> No, that was me.  Waaaaay back when Compuserve was the biggest online
> forum in the world (!) I was interested in raytracing (I think I've told
> this story before), so I hung out on the siggraph forum.  SIG.
> whatever.  Anyhow, folks were always experimenting with new techniques
> and one guy created a terrific beach scene complete with fairly realistic
> palm trees - I mean, you can only do so much using mathematical
> expressions to describe the shape of an object, but those palm leaves
> were truly a thing of beauty.
>
> He posted the results of his 2-day rendering process and invited
> suggestions... in particular, he wondered if he should have included more
> sea creatures.  In my entire life I have never had, and probably will
> never again have, such a perfect straight line for the response that
> followed:
>
> With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

And for doing so, condemed yourself to one of the special rooms in
Hell for punsters! I'll be in the cube right next to you ;)

Detox

Oct 21, 2008, 2:43:33 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 2:32 pm, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Where all your meals will be served al dante*.

--
Regards,
Dann

Default User

Oct 21, 2008, 3:21:56 PM10/21/08
Detox wrote:

Bah, Sisyphus stew again.

Brian

won't shut up.

Peter B. Steiger

Oct 21, 2008, 4:01:48 PM10/21/08
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:21:56 +0000, Default User sez:
> Bah, Sisyphus stew again.

Are you kidding? That stuff rocks!

Oct 21, 2008, 4:07:04 PM10/21/08
Peter B. Steiger wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:21:56 +0000, Default User sez:
> > Bah, Sisyphus stew again.
>
> Are you kidding? That stuff rocks!

It keeps falling off the fork.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Oct 21, 2008, 4:13:04 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 4:07 pm, "Default User" <defaultuse...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:21:56 +0000, Default User sez:
> > > Bah, Sisyphus stew again.
>
> > Are you kidding?  That stuff rocks!
>
> It keeps falling off the fork.
>
> Brian

And an hour after you eat it, you're hungry again.

Laura Brown

Oct 21, 2008, 6:11:17 PM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 5:31 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
> In article <6b5a63db-fe02-4530-b410-0c10f4bc5...@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Laura Brown  <Perodicticus.po...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can recall
> was not a friend of rat's).

I'm pretty sure he attended a party at Rat & Pig's house and Rat
seated him at a table with the sea lion. (I must try to get out more.)

Now I'm hoping for the return of Alphonse the Needy Porcupine and
Chuckie the Non-Anthropomorphic Sheep!

Laura Brown

Mike Beede

Oct 21, 2008, 7:54:35 PM10/21/08
In article
<ee2af5a9-f012-45a3...@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

One good thing: you can't say "it tastes like chicken."

Mike Beede

Dann

Oct 22, 2008, 7:04:38 AM10/22/08
On 21 Oct 2008, Ted Nolan <tednolan> said the following in news:DtnLk.55069
$De7...@bignews7.bellsouth.net.

> Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can recall
> was not a friend of rat's).

He un-died.....apparently.

<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
&name=Pearls_Before_Swine>

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Carl Fink

Oct 22, 2008, 8:27:41 AM10/22/08
On 2008-10-22, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2008, Ted Nolan <tednolan> said the following in news:DtnLk.55069
> $De7...@bignews7.bellsouth.net.
>
>> Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can recall
>> was not a friend of rat's).
>
> He un-died.....apparently.
>
><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
> &name=Pearls_Before_Swine>

It's more than a little hypocritical for Rat to complain, considering he
*coined" the word "undied".
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Joseph Nebus

Oct 22, 2008, 9:28:34 AM10/22/08
Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> writes:

>On 2008-10-22, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 Oct 2008, Ted Nolan <tednolan> said the following in news:DtnLk.55069
>> $De7...@bignews7.bellsouth.net.
>>
>>> Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can recall
>>> was not a friend of rat's).
>>
>> He un-died.....apparently.
>>
>><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
>> &name=Pearls_Before_Swine>

>It's more than a little hypocritical for Rat to complain, considering he
>*coined" the word "undied".

I'm a bit surprised Rat admits the strip to have hundreds of
concerned readers. I thought it was traditional for comic strips that
acknowledge their readers directly to claim they have dozens of fans
instead.

--
Joseph Nebus

Peter B. Steiger

Oct 22, 2008, 12:03:39 PM10/22/08
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:04:38 +0000, Dann sez:
>> Yes, assuming that it's the same killer whale (who as far as I can
>> recall was not a friend of rat's).
>
> He un-died.....apparently.

What's really brilliant about this is, given newspaper lead time, Pastis
*knew in advance* there would be an outcry and he had already
acknowledged that inconsistency (and the resulting reader response) when
he originally wrote the strips.