3rd Annual Scientific Integrity Editorial Cartoon Contest

D. D. Degg

Jul 10, 2008, 8:14:25 PM7/10/08
http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2008_vote

"Editorial cartoons can be funny. Political interference in science is
not. This is the working moniker of the Union of Concerned Scientists,
a science-based nonprofit working for a health environment and a safer
world.
For the third straight year..."

The rest of the story:
http://politicker.com/vote-your-favorite-cartoon-3rd-annual-scientific-integrity-cartoon-contest

D.D.Degg

Robin

Jul 11, 2008, 10:29:27 AM7/11/08
> The rest of the story:http://politicker.com/vote-your-favorite-cartoon-3rd-annual-scientifi...

Thanks for the link -- well worth reading, and the finalists are
indeed good ones.

Though my eyebrows did go up at this statement in Rob Tornoe's story:

"The winner will receive $500 and an all-expenses paid trip to
Washington D.C., as well as a singed copy of judge Keven Kallaugher's
book Kal Draws Criticism."

They tried to burn it? Things must be even worse than I realized.

--Robin

Mike Marshall

Jul 11, 2008, 11:06:07 AM7/11/08
All cartoonists think that satellites are made out of old water heaters:

http://ucsaction.org/img/gv2/custom_images/ucsaction/2008-10.jpg

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~hubcap/d.weekly/space.jpg

-Mike

Mike Marshall

Jul 11, 2008, 11:10:26 AM7/11/08
A lot of that is nonsense. Earth has been here for 4,000,000,000 years,
global warming isn't destroying Earth.

10,000 years after we're all dead, it probably won't even be noticable anymore.

-Mike

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 11, 2008, 2:13:46 PM7/11/08

Well, you may not mind species suicide, there are some of us who'd
like to have a longer legacy . . .

D. D. Degg

Aug 20, 2008, 9:16:46 PM8/20/08
The Union of Concerned Scientists announced the winner today:
http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ucs-announces-2008-winner-of-0143.html

They link to this page of more proselytizing to see the winning entry:
http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/science_idol/

I couldn't find a decent viewing size of the winning cartoon
so I went to the cartoonists blog and dug up this posting:
http://drawblood.blogspot.com/2008/06/global-chaos.html

On one of the above UCS urls they also link to the page
that shows all the finalist cartoons along with cartoonist
information:
http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/science_idol/science-idol-finalist-bios.html
Here you can click on the cartoons to enlarge them
to a readable size.

D.D.Degg

J.D. Baldwin

Aug 20, 2008, 9:34:16 PM8/20/08

In the previous article, D. D. Degg <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> They link to this page of more proselytizing to see the winning entry:
> http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/science_idol/

That cartoon is so subtle and clever it's worthy of Herblock himself.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also