9/27 brain teasers: Sally Forth & GF

Ted Kerin

Sep 27, 2008, 9:59:31 AM9/27/08
Challenging comics today. OK, I admit it took me at least 5 minutes to
figure out Ted Forth's crossword puzzle answer, over coffee. (At least I
knew right away that the answer was a punchline.)

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080927&name=Sally_Forth

And I have no idea about the Dostoevsky reference, but I'm thinking it can't
be long before somebody here starts a thread about it.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/9/27&name=Fuzzy

the Bede

Sep 27, 2008, 11:51:40 AM9/27/08

"Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.net> wrote in message
I assumed that they just dropped the initial asterisk after Notes From The
Kloset, which is a riff on Notes From The Underground.

Squeaker to Animals

Sep 27, 2008, 1:33:06 PM9/27/08
On Sep 27, 6:59 am, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.net> wrote:
> Challenging comics today. OK, I admit it took me at least 5 minutes to
> figure out Ted Forth's crossword puzzle answer, over coffee. (At least I
> knew right away that the answer was a punchline.)

Ted's answer may also describe the area Sally is going to kick him in
if this goes where I think it might....

Oooh. I see a world of hurt here.
mm

Tove Momerathsson

Sep 27, 2008, 2:01:30 PM9/27/08

This might be the most interesting plot development in SF in a long time.

Thank you, Ces.

Tove

Jym Dyer

Sep 27, 2008, 3:52:25 PM9/27/08
> Challenging comics today. OK, I admit it took me at least
> 5 minutes to figure out Ted Forth's crossword puzzle answer,
> over coffee. (At least I knew right away that the answer
> was a punchline.)

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080927&name=Sally_Forth

=v= I got it right away, because I do the _New_York_Times_
crossword puzzle with a hot lingerie-wearing chick at work.

=v= I'll note that the big city eeleetist crosswords strive
to eliminate gimme words like "osier" and "oleo," though they
clearly have a soft spot for Asta. OTOH, you know you're in
Pluggerville when the words "epee" and "snee" are in evidence.

=v= As for the punchline: foreshadowing, valid literary
technique, William F. Buckley is a wimpy putz, etc.
<_Jym_>

--
Green Bay Steelers for Truth

parto the p

Sep 27, 2008, 9:48:19 PM9/27/08

Ces gets full marks if A. He goes that way and B. It all plays out
without Sally finding out what's going on. She just finds out Ted no
longer has his "friend" and wishes him 'better luck next time'. For
gawd's sake, let Ted be the smirker just this one time.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 28, 2008, 5:22:54 AM9/28/08

The best part: Sally brought all this on herself! If she hadn't
insisted Ted go "look for a friend" instead of enjoying his office
solitude, he wouldn't be on the verge of hiding his sausage in Aria!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Rob Wynne

Sep 28, 2008, 9:36:20 AM9/28/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:48:19 -0700 (PDT), parto the p
> <brokenpe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> This might be the most interesting plot development in SF in a long time.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Ces.
>>>
>>> Tove
>>
>>Ces gets full marks if A. He goes that way and B. It all plays out
>>without Sally finding out what's going on. She just finds out Ted no
>>longer has his "friend" and wishes him 'better luck next time'. For
>>gawd's sake, let Ted be the smirker just this one time.
>
> The best part: Sally brought all this on herself! If she hadn't
> insisted Ted go "look for a friend" instead of enjoying his office
> solitude, he wouldn't be on the verge of hiding his sausage in Aria!

No, no, you have it all wrong. Eventually, its *Sally* who gets frisky
with Aria (with or without involving Ted), leaving to this hilarious
exchange with Hilary:

Panel One(both in bathrobes, meeting on the landing)
Hilary: You and her? Really?
Sally: Mmhmmm.

Panel Two (both look at each other silently, Sally takes a sip of coffee)

panel Three
Hilary: Better than boys, innit?
Sally: *spittake*

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 28, 2008, 2:01:47 PM9/28/08

If only!

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 1, 2008, 11:30:17 AM10/1/08

In the previous article, the Bede <rspwsow...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I assumed that they just dropped the initial asterisk after Notes
> From The Kloset, which is a riff on Notes From The Underground.

The reference is telegraphed by the title, but the actual obscure
reference itself is Bucky's cry in the last panel. Thankfully, Disney
and Frank Lautenberg haven't yet managed to yank Fyodor's body of work
out of the public domain:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/600/600.txt

The frightened and wounded expression on her face was followed
first by a look of sorrowful perplexity. When I began calling
myself a scoundrel and a blackguard and my tears flowed (the
tirade was accompanied throughout by tears) her whole face
worked convulsively. She was on the point of getting up and
stopping me; when I finished she took no notice of my shouting:
"Why are you here, why don't you go away?" but realised only
that it must have been very bitter to me to say all this.
Besides, she was so crushed, poor girl; she considered herself
infinitely beneath me; how could she feel anger or resentment?
She suddenly leapt up from her chair with an irresistible
impulse and held out her hands, yearning towards me, though
still timid and not daring to stir.... At this point there
was a revulsion in my heart too. Then she suddenly rushed to
me, threw her arms round me and burst into tears. I, too,
could not restrain myself, and sobbed as I never had before.

"They won't let me ... I can't be good!" I managed to
articulate; then I went to the sofa, fell on it face
downwards, and sobbed on it for a quarter of an hour in
genuine hysterics.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Ted Kerin

Oct 2, 2008, 9:56:54 AM10/2/08

"J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> In the previous article, the Bede <rspwsow...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I assumed that they just dropped the initial asterisk after Notes
>> From The Kloset, which is a riff on Notes From The Underground.
>
> The reference is telegraphed by the title, but the actual obscure
> reference itself is Bucky's cry in the last panel. Thankfully, Disney
> and Frank Lautenberg haven't yet managed to yank Fyodor's body of work
> out of the public domain:
>
> http://www.gutenberg.org/files/600/600.txt

Thanks for posting this, JD! I figured that the reference had to be
something more than the "Notes From..." title, since that is hardly obscure.