NS 8/25/08

Ron Bauerle

Aug 25, 2008, 12:34:07 PM8/25/08
http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/8/25/Non_Sequitur_pan.473.g.gif

Um, why would it? "Umlaut" doesn't contain any umlauted (?) letters,
and when writing them in English, you add "e", not "u"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_(diacritic)#Printing_conventions_in_German

Ron

J.D. Baldwin

Aug 25, 2008, 12:59:57 PM8/25/08

In the previous article, Ron Bauerle <ron.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/8/25/Non_Sequitur_pan.473.g.gif
>
> Um, why would it? "Umlaut" doesn't contain any umlauted (?) letters,
> and when writing them in English, you add "e", not "u"...

"Monosyllabic" isn't?

"Heterography" isn't one.

Why is it okay to use the word "vulgar" in polite conversation?

And so on.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Evan Kirshenbaum

Aug 25, 2008, 1:44:18 PM8/25/08
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

> In the previous article, Ron Bauerle <ron.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/8/25/Non_Sequitur_pan.473.g.gif
>>
>> Um, why would it? "Umlaut" doesn't contain any umlauted (?)
>> letters, and when writing them in English, you add "e", not "u"...
>
> "Monosyllabic" isn't?
>
> "Heterography" isn't one.

Just don't think too long about "heterological".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grelling%E2%80%93Nelson_paradox

HP Laboratories |There's been so much ado already
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |that any further ado would be
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |excessive.
| Lori Karkosky
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

sw...@insightbb.com

Aug 25, 2008, 3:29:28 PM8/25/08
And why doesn't onomatopoeia sound like what it means?

Mike Marshall

Aug 25, 2008, 3:37:48 PM8/25/08
>And why doesn't onomatopoeia sound like what it means?

Poink! really does it for me.

BREEN! is harder to use, but nothings says "clanged in the head with a
frying pan" better than BREEN!

-Mike

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 25, 2008, 6:57:48 PM8/25/08
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:59:57 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>In the previous article, Ron Bauerle <ron.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/8/25/Non_Sequitur_pan.473.g.gif
>>
>> Um, why would it? "Umlaut" doesn't contain any umlauted (?) letters,
>> and when writing them in English, you add "e", not "u"...
>
>"Monosyllabic" isn't?
>
>"Heterography" isn't one.
>
>Why is it okay to use the word "vulgar" in polite conversation?
>
>And so on.

. . . and how *do* you know you've run out of invisible ink?

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Joy Beeson

Aug 25, 2008, 7:19:25 PM8/25/08
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:29:28 -0700 (PDT), sw...@insightbb.com wrote:

> And why doesn't onomatopoeia sound like what it means?

Because I can't pronounce it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net