Jane's World (12-15)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 17, 2008, 12:59:59 AM12/17/08
While I liked the "Thanksgiving gets dissed line," I loved that
Archie not only had that chart ready, not only disproportionately
favors "Hot Chick" to Jane, but had the balls to show it to her face!:

<http://comics.com/janes_world/2008-12-15/>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Jym Dyer

Dec 18, 2008, 10:56:56 PM12/18/08
http://comics.com/janes_world/2008-12-15/

=v= The top three panels echo something I wrote in the
Xmas Resistance blog on Thanksgiving:

http://xmasresistance.blogspot.com/2008/11/turn-that-frown-upside-down.html

http://xmasresistance.blogspot.com/

(That very same disposable Xmas Of Evil cup made a celebrity
appearance at Sarah Palin's turkey pardon/slaughter mishap.)
<_Jym_>

ObComicStrips: That blog, and indeed the whole Xmas Resistance,
grew from one _Nina's_Adventure_ comic!

ObNinaPaley: If you're good little boys and girls, Nina might
post something there when she gets back from Dubai.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 19, 2008, 12:06:14 AM12/19/08
On Dec 18, 10:56 pm, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
> http://comics.com/janes_world/2008-12-15/
>
> =v= The top three panels echo something I wrote in the
> Xmas Resistance blog on Thanksgiving:
>
> http://xmasresistance.blogspot.com/2008/11/turn-that-frown-upside-dow...

> http://xmasresistance.blogspot.com/
>
> (That very same disposable Xmas Of Evil cup made a celebrity
> appearance at Sarah Palin's turkey pardon/slaughter mishap.)
>     <_Jym_>
>
> ObComicStrips:  That blog, and indeed the whole Xmas Resistance,
>                 grew from one _Nina's_Adventure_ comic!
>
> ObNinaPaley:  If you're good little boys and girls, Nina might
>               post something there when she gets back from Dubai.

Funny, you link took me to a website called "Christmas Resistance".;)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 19, 2008, 2:18:27 AM12/19/08

Dubai?! When did she become a billionaire??!!

Jym Dyer

Dec 19, 2008, 5:46:04 AM12/19/08
>> http://xmasresistance.blogspot.com/

> Funny, you link took me to a website called "Christmas
> Resistance".;)

=v= Nina get letters every year informing her that the "X"
really stands for "Christ", so we're not fooling anyone by
using the "X", so we'd better get saved or go to Hell, etc.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer

Dec 19, 2008, 5:47:29 AM12/19/08
>> ObNinaPaley: If you're good little boys and girls, Nina might
>> post something there when she gets back from Dubai.
> Dubai?! When did she become a billionaire??!!

=v= She struck oil with her feature film. Actually, they
haven't paid her billions, but they did fly her there for
a film festival!
<_Jym_>

Paul Ciszek

Dec 19, 2008, 11:50:45 AM12/19/08

In article <Jym.18Dec20...@scorcher.org>,

What has Nina Paley been doing lately? Last time I looked at her
website, I thought no more new cartoons were being added, so I stopped
checking.

I have one comic book done by her--the one with the back cover art of
the emaciated woman with massive plastic surgery eating a bowl of
"Sugar-coated Bullshits". Have there been any others?

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Jym Dyer

Dec 24, 2008, 3:51:55 PM12/24/08
> What has Nina Paley been doing lately?

=v= Animation, mostly.

> I have one comic book done by her--the one with the back cover
> art of the emaciated woman with massive plastic surgery eating
> a bowl of "Sugar-coated Bullshits". Have there been any others?

=v= That would be "Nina's All-Time Greatest Collectors' Item
Classic Comix #1." She also published a second comic book,
"Nina's New & Improved All-Time Greatest Collectors' Item
Classic Comix #1." There were also some minicomix in that era
which collected her weekly _Nina's_Adventures_ panels and were
themselves collected in a _Nina's_Adventures_ paperback book.
(There's also the earlier _Depression_is_Fun_ compilation of
strips, without as many intervening minicomix.)

ObComicStrips: She retired the weekly _Nina's_Adventures_
and did _Fluff_, a comic strip about cats, with King Features.
then she collaborated with Stephen Hersh onanother comic strip,
_The_Hots_. Both were brilliant and beautiful, but they never
got into enough newspapers.

=v= Since then she's been doing animation. Incredible stuff:

http://www.ninapaley.com/

Also, she's still resisting Christmas, which takes less work:

http://www.xmasresistance.org/

<_Jym_>

Jim Ellwanger

Dec 24, 2008, 6:49:29 PM12/24/08
In article <Jym.24Dec20...@scorcher.org>,
Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:

> > What has Nina Paley been doing lately?
>
> =v= Animation, mostly.

I swear Roger Ebert's blog had a really nice, long writeup about her and
her film on it earlier today, but it appears to have disappeared into
the ether. Keep checking http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/ to see if it
shows back up, I guess. (Evidence of the existence of the writeup can
be found by scrolling down to "Recent Assets" in the right-hand bar --
the illustrations that accompanied it are there.)

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Jym Dyer

Dec 26, 2008, 2:35:38 PM12/26/08
>>> What has Nina Paley been doing lately?
>> =v= Animation, mostly.
> I swear Roger Ebert's blog had a really nice, long writeup
> about her and her film on it earlier today, ....

=v= WHOOMP! Dere it is:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/12/having_wonderful_time_wish_you.html

<_Jym_>

Charles Brubaker

Dec 28, 2008, 4:24:57 PM12/28/08
> http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/12/having_wonderful_time_wish_yo...
>
>     <_Jym_>

I swear I have to watch that movie.

Too bad I can't afford the plane tickets to the festivals it's being
screened at. The chances of seeing are even more slim now due to the
copyright issues with the music featured in the film.

Veronique

Dec 28, 2008, 4:53:08 PM12/28/08

Oh no! I wondered if she'd solved the copyright issues with this film.
It's the sort of thing that could easily be shown (with audience) in
Santa Cruz.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Jym Dyer

Dec 30, 2008, 2:03:58 AM12/30/08
> The chances of seeing are even more slim now due to the
> copyright issues with the music featured in the film.

=v= To see the 35mm film, harangue the festival(s) in your
area until they screen it.

=v= A digital copy is theoretically possible. Seems to me you
could legally play the video on one device and audio on another
and FOR THE LOVE OF MICKEY, DON'T SYNC THEM. (ObDisclaimer:
I am not a lawyer. Don't list to my legal advice, ever.)

=v= Alternatively, check this out:

http://blog.ninapaley.com/

<_Jym_>