LICD (4-21)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Apr 21, 2009, 5:42:38 PM4/21/09
Looks like this is an enactment of Ryan Sohmer's Blog comment from
a few days ago . . .:

<http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20090421>

Here's the actual post . . .:

<http://forums.leasticoulddo.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=29036>

"I find myself recently spending a great deal of thought on the issue
of the demise of the newspaper, and everything relating to it.

Everyday, it seems, we are assaulted with business headlines of
another newspaper shutting down, massive job cuts and features
disappearing by the handful. Is this the way to save a newspaper?
Probably not, but then, that’s not what I’ve been concerning myself
with. The main questions I’ve been posing are: Can the newspaper be
saved? Or more importantly, should it be?

A newspaper is a medium, in which to share information. When any other
medium in history has reached the end of it’s usefulness, it’s been
allowed to gracefully retire, to make way for the next step in
evolution.

I don’t use carrier pigeons to get in touch with my wife during the
day, I use my cell phone. I don’t use my VHS player to watch Band of
Brothers, I power on my Samsung Blu-Ray player. Rarely is the day when
I use a horse and buggy to get to work, I tend to rely on my
automobile.

I don’t pick up a newspaper to get the news, I check multiple sources
online, to read about them when they happen, as they happen, not 16
hours later in a newspaper which offers me limited information without
the immediate ability to get more.

Are we trying to save the newspaper because our generation still uses
it, or because the older generation is nostalgic and refuses to
embrace change?

Why would I pay 20$ a month for a subscription to my local paper, when
only 5% of it is original content? With the other 95% percent of is
syndicated content I can much more easily access online at the
Associated Press site? The newspaper model works off of advertising.
Big news, so does the web.

I believe local coverage is important, but I believe the current
medium in which we get said coverage is done. I want to know what’s
happening in Montreal. I want to read material from well educated
journalists (not bloggers). Why can’t I do that online?

You want to talk about going green? Why not eliminate the printed
newspaper as it is and move it online? Grab a calculator and tell me
how many trees that would save?

What the future will bring, I’m not sure, but change isn’t just coming
anymore, it’s here.

The medium has evolved."

--

- ReFlex76