Bizarro 17 December: ground what?

Carl Fink

Dec 17, 2008, 8:13:29 AM12/17/08
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/

See, I'm a words person. I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would they
serve macerated meat of female foxes?" I get the "joke" but, well, don't
but the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
instinctively look first.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Carl Fink

Dec 17, 2008, 8:16:12 AM12/17/08
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/

See, I'm a words person. I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would they
serve macerated meat of female foxes?" I get the "joke" but, well, don't

put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers

racs...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 8:24:55 AM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 8:16 am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>
> See, I'm a words person.  I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would they
> serve macerated meat of female foxes?"  I get the "joke" but, well, don't
> put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
> instinctively look first.
> --
> Carl Fink                           nitpick...@nitpicking.com

> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!

I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer
the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?

(And I thought the butcher's bright red costume was enough of an eye-
catcher that even those who prefer words to visuals in a cartoon would
figure this one out.)

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Carl Fink

Dec 17, 2008, 8:41:30 AM12/17/08
On 2008-12-17, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 8:16=A0am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>>
>> See, I'm a words person. =A0I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would =
> they
>> serve macerated meat of female foxes?" =A0I get the "joke" but, well, don=

> 't
>> put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
>> instinctively look first.
>> --
>> Carl Fink =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 nitpick...@=
> nitpicking.com
>>
>> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. =A0Reviews! =A0Observations!

>> Stupid mistakes you can correct!
>
> I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer
> the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?
>
> (And I thought the butcher's bright red costume was enough of an eye-
> catcher that even those who prefer words to visuals in a cartoon would
> figure this one out.)

Sure, sure, make fun of me just because I deserve it.

I DID figure it out, but recognizing things in the wrong order made it not
funny. If the sign were at the bottom right, or read "ground prancer",
problem solved.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Joseph Nebus

Dec 17, 2008, 10:32:28 AM12/17/08
Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> writes:

>On 2008-12-17, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 17, 8:16=A0am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>>>
>>> See, I'm a words person. =A0I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would =
>> they
>>> serve macerated meat of female foxes?" =A0I get the "joke" but, well, don=
>> 't
>>> put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
>>> instinctively look first.
>>

>> I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer
>> the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?
>>
>> (And I thought the butcher's bright red costume was enough of an eye-
>> catcher that even those who prefer words to visuals in a cartoon would
>> figure this one out.)

>Sure, sure, make fun of me just because I deserve it.

>I DID figure it out, but recognizing things in the wrong order made it not
>funny. If the sign were at the bottom right, or read "ground prancer",
>problem solved.

I'm not sure what you see as being in the wrong order, though.
The panel introduces the premise and then the Ground Vixen, with the
pieces of three other reindeer already on display, give you the payoff.
That's the same structure used pretty regularly in Non Sequitur -- eg --

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/16/
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/15/
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/09/
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/07/

It's also used, for example, in Boffo, particularly for ``The World And
The Way It Would Be If ... '' strips.

But overthinking this ... if you found the strip not funny
because you thought of `Ground Vixen' as foxes before you connected
the meaning to the `holiday season', then why would it be funnier if
the `holiday season' mention were made later? With a panel on the
right I'd think the fox meaning of vixen would be the first thing to
come to mind, which seems to be what you found unfunny.

As it happens, Bizarro was a very word-based strip today as
well. I did need too long to figure out what the woman wanted the
purchase put on, though.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20081217&name=Bizarro

--
Joseph Nebus

Ron Bauerle

Dec 17, 2008, 12:43:30 PM12/17/08
[Title fixed - hope that doesn't muck up people's newsreaders...]

Carl Fink wrote:
> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>
> See, I'm a words person. I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would they
> serve macerated meat of female foxes?" I get the "joke" but, well, don't
> but the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
> instinctively look first.

I'm with you - that's what I thought at first too...

My main impression: how many kids (and adults too?)
are going to need therapy after _that_ cheery thought? :^(

Ron

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 17, 2008, 1:50:20 PM12/17/08

Agreed. I found the strip to be quite disturbing, almost as much as
the infamous "Lio" Winnie the Pooh vivasection comic.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 17, 2008, 1:52:09 PM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 8:24 am, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 17, 8:16 am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>
> > See, I'm a words person.  I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would they
> > serve macerated meat of female foxes?"  I get the "joke" but, well, don't
> > put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
> > instinctively look first.
> > --
> > Carl Fink                           nitpick...@nitpicking.com
>
> > Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
> > Stupid mistakes you can correct!
>
> I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer
> the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?

Perhaps Carl thought the "Ground Charles" in the Bizarro strip
referred to one Santa's back-up reindeer.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 17, 2008, 1:58:09 PM12/17/08
In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,

Myself, I never knew "vixen" was a female fox (of the canine sort). My
first thought was the Austin Powers "oh you naughty vixen" sort. I got
it OK, but that definitely off-putting..

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Paige

Dec 17, 2008, 2:07:55 PM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 11:50 am, Blinky the Wonder Wombat
> the infamous "Lio" Winnie the Pooh vivasection comic.- Hide quoted text -

I cringed as well, despite the fact that here in Wyoming antelope,
deer, elk and moose are dietary staples. Maybe it's because they don't
have names.

Paige

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 17, 2008, 6:53:25 PM12/17/08
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:41:30 +0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com>
wrote:

>On 2008-12-17, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 17, 8:16=A0am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>>>
>>> See, I'm a words person. =A0I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why would =
>> they
>>> serve macerated meat of female foxes?" =A0I get the "joke" but, well, don=
>> 't
>>> put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
>>> instinctively look first.
>>> --
>>> Carl Fink =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 nitpick...@=
>> nitpicking.com
>>>
>>> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. =A0Reviews! =A0Observations!
>>> Stupid mistakes you can correct!
>>
>> I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer
>> the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?
>>
>> (And I thought the butcher's bright red costume was enough of an eye-
>> catcher that even those who prefer words to visuals in a cartoon would
>> figure this one out.)
>
>Sure, sure, make fun of me just because I deserve it.
>
>I DID figure it out, but recognizing things in the wrong order made it not
>funny. If the sign were at the bottom right, or read "ground prancer",
>problem solved.

How about "GROUND DONNER," or "GROUND CUPID," or "GROUND COMET"?
Those three happen to be on display below. Heck, "Nick's Fresh Meat"
writen on the window should provide as big a hint as his outfit, or
the "helpers."

On another note, this seems to be the sequel to a Far Side cartoon
where he's seen writing "12 Ways to Prepare Venison," IIRC . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Mike Beede

Dec 17, 2008, 11:11:17 PM12/17/08
In article <slrngki0cd...@panix2.panix.com>,
Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:

> Sure, sure, make fun of me just because I deserve it.
>
> I DID figure it out, but recognizing things in the wrong order made it not
> funny. If the sign were at the bottom right, or read "ground prancer",
> problem solved.

If it said "ground Donner" it might have given a whole different
vibe to the comic.

Mike Beede

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 17, 2008, 11:42:53 PM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 11:11 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <slrngki0cd.619.ca...@panix2.panix.com>,

We'll take a pass on that image

Jym Dyer

Dec 18, 2008, 11:00:15 PM12/18/08
=v= Thank heavens the joke wasn't "ground Cupid," else we'd
be confusing it with "aerial Cupid," leading straight to the
belly button-piercing "naval Cupid" puns. Nobody wants that.
<_Jym_>

P.S.: The above is not an appeal to anyone's cupidity.

Dann

Dec 22, 2008, 6:57:37 AM12/22/08
On 17 Dec 2008, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org said the following in

> On Dec 17, 8:16 am, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>> http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/12/17/
>>
>> See, I'm a words person.  I read "Ground Vixen" and thought "Why
>> would they
>> serve macerated meat of female foxes?"  I get the "joke" but, well,
>> don't
>> put the misleading sign in the top left, where us English speakers
>> instinctively look first.

> I'm a words person, too. I like the words "Non Sequitur," you prefer

> the word "Bizarro." But that's what makes a debate, isn't it?
>
> (And I thought the butcher's bright red costume was enough of an eye-
> catcher that even those who prefer words to visuals in a cartoon would
> figure this one out.)

Wiley doesn't color his dailies. So there is a chance that there might
not be a red suit for some readers.

I saw the strip in both formats [strip and panel]. The strip format
seemeed to encourage Carl's issue as the eye is drawn to the "Ground
Vixen" more readily than as was the case in the panel format. IMO.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.