Non Sequitur (9-30 and this week)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 30, 2008, 1:01:17 PM9/30/08
If there were any doubts, it looks like this should confirm Wiley
Millers position as a libertarian . . .:

<http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/09/30/>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Joseph Nebus

Sep 30, 2008, 1:20:18 PM9/30/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

> If there were any doubts, it looks like this should confirm Wiley
>Millers position as a libertarian . . .:

> <http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/09/30/>

Well, sure, I can see how that ... huh?

--
Joseph Nebus

cryptoguy

Sep 30, 2008, 3:48:56 PM9/30/08
On Sep 30, 1:20 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> writes:
>
> >    If there were any doubts, it looks like this should confirm Wiley
> >Millers position as a libertarian . . .:
> >  <http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2008/09/30/>
>
>         Well, sure, I can see how that ... huh?

Hmm... If you give handouts, you risk creating a
false expectation of entitlement (though a mob of
ducks with torches and pitchforks seems funny
in itself).

Of course, the notion that libertarians are stingy
towards *voluntary* charitable causes is a base
canard, from the camp that equates libertarians
with social darwinists.

Peter Trei

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 30, 2008, 4:00:33 PM9/30/08

In the previous article, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... If you give handouts, you risk creating a
> false expectation of entitlement (though a mob of
> ducks with torches and pitchforks seems funny
> in itself).
>
> Of course, the notion that libertarians are stingy
> towards *voluntary* charitable causes is a base
> canard, [...]

Just want you to know that at least one person got the joke here.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 30, 2008, 4:10:53 PM9/30/08
J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> In the previous article, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm... If you give handouts, you risk creating a
>> false expectation of entitlement (though a mob of
>> ducks with torches and pitchforks seems funny
>> in itself).
>>
>> Of course, the notion that libertarians are stingy
>> towards *voluntary* charitable causes is a base
>> canard, [...]

> Just want you to know that at least one person got the joke here.

Might have been better as "bass canard," conjuring up a duck with a
really, really low quack. Or a duck with a taste for one particular
kind of fish.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 30, 2008, 4:17:04 PM9/30/08
On Sep 30, 4:10 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:
> J.D. Baldwin <INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> > In the previous article, cryptoguy  <treifam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hmm... If you give handouts, you risk creating a
> >> false expectation of  entitlement (though a mob of
> >> ducks with torches and pitchforks seems funny
> >> in itself).
>
> >> Of course, the notion that libertarians are stingy
> >> towards  *voluntary* charitable causes is a base
> >> canard, [...]
> > Just want you to know that at least one person got the joke here.
>
> Might have been better as "bass canard," conjuring up a duck with a
> really, really low quack.  Or a duck with a taste for one particular
> kind of fish.

Or a duck with a large guitar.

Ted Goldblatt

Sep 30, 2008, 4:52:21 PM9/30/08
cryptoguy wrote:
[snip]

> Of course, the notion that libertarians are stingy
> towards *voluntary* charitable causes is a base
> canard, from the camp that equates libertarians
> with social darwinists.

Well, at least equating libertarians and objectivists...

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 30, 2008, 4:56:50 PM9/30/08

In the previous article, Ted Goldblatt <ted.go...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

While I haven't exactly made a close study of Objectivism, I do recall
one Ayn Rand quote that has permanently disabused me of the notion
that she was actively against all private charitable gifts and acts.
(I found the real quote via Google; I had been "remembering" a
severely truncated and slightly distorted version.)

Do not hide behind such superficialities as whether you should
or should not give a dime to a beggar. That is not the issue.
The issue is whether you do or do not have the right to exist
without giving him that dime. The issue is whether you must
keep buying your life, dime by dime, from any beggar who might
choose to approach you.

Mike Beede

Oct 1, 2008, 12:45:14 AM10/1/08
In article
<e318dbda-157a-49f6...@d31g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

Or a "bas canard," which would be one carved on a wall.

Mike Beede