Crankshaft on steroids (21 April)

Joseph Nebus

Apr 21, 2009, 11:01:26 AM4/21/09
Well, this story of how Crankshaft robbed Fidel Castro of a
perfect game back in '53 is clearly going to teach Dwayne about the
wrongness of the steroids Dwayne resented other players using.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090421&name=Crankshaft

I guess when it's flashback season, they're going to flash
back, no matter what it takes.

--
Joseph Nebus

John Duncan Yoyo

Apr 21, 2009, 7:45:13 PM4/21/09
On 21 Apr 2009 11:01:26 -0400, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

> Well, this story of how Crankshaft robbed Fidel Castro of a
>perfect game back in '53 is clearly going to teach Dwayne about the
>wrongness of the steroids Dwayne resented other players using.
>
>http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090421&name=Crankshaft
>
> I guess when it's flashback season, they're going to flash
>back, no matter what it takes.

It could be a subtle way of both recycling an old strip and giving it
a new spin. Or a value added vacation repeat strip.
-
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)
Brought to you by the Binks for Senate campaign comittee.
Coruscant is far, far away from wesa on Naboo.

trnco...@aol.com

Apr 22, 2009, 12:29:11 AM4/22/09
On Apr 21, 7:45�pm, John Duncan Yoyo <johnduncanyo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2009 11:01:26 -0400, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>
> > � �Well, this story of how Crankshaft robbed Fidel Castro of a
> >perfect game back in '53 is clearly going to teach Dwayne about the
> >wrongness of the steroids Dwayne resented other players using. �
>
> >http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090421&name=Cr...
>
> > � �I guess when it's flashback season, they're going to flash

> >back, no matter what it takes. �
>
> It could be a subtle way of both recycling an old strip and giving it
> a new spin. �Or a value added vacation repeat strip.
> -

So, let me see if I've got this straight: someone is paying the
Cranketeers and Fidel y Compania to play ball (and presumably selling
tickets, doing promotion, etc.) and (as we know must have occurred)
Batista *didn't* send in the troops and decapitate (figruatively if
not literally) the rebel movement?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Apr 22, 2009, 12:44:23 AM4/22/09
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:29:11 -0700 (PDT), trnco...@aol.com wrote:

>On Apr 21, 7:45?pm, John Duncan Yoyo <johnduncanyo...@gmail.com>

>wrote:
>> On 21 Apr 2009 11:01:26 -0400, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>>

>> > ? ?Well, this story of how Crankshaft robbed Fidel Castro of a

>> >perfect game back in '53 is clearly going to teach Dwayne about the

>> >wrongness of the steroids Dwayne resented other players using. ?
>>
>> >http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090421&name=Cr...
>>
>> > ? ?I guess when it's flashback season, they're going to flash
>> >back, no matter what it takes. ?

>> It could be a subtle way of both recycling an old strip and giving it

>> a new spin. ?Or a value added vacation repeat strip.

>> -
>
>So, let me see if I've got this straight: someone is paying the
>Cranketeers and Fidel y Compania to play ball (and presumably selling
>tickets, doing promotion, etc.) and (as we know must have occurred)
>Batista *didn't* send in the troops and decapitate (figruatively if
>not literally) the rebel movement?

The term is "suspension of disbelief"; keep in mind in the
Batiuk-verse, the Cleveland Indians won the World Series about ten
years ago . . . by beating the Yankees . . . this *without* throwing
in the Funky Time Warps . . .

--

- ReFlex76

John Duncan Yoyo

Apr 22, 2009, 7:52:20 AM4/22/09

A quick pass of the hat may not be unreasonable.

Well George Martin's Wild Cards books had Fidel picked up as a major
league pitcher and no Cuban revolution. Fidel was scouted way back
when as a pitcher.

Joseph Nebus

Apr 22, 2009, 10:43:11 AM4/22/09
John Duncan Yoyo <johndun...@gmail.com> writes:

>On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:44:23 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
><AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>>On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:29:11 -0700 (PDT), trnco...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>On Apr 21, 7:45?pm, John Duncan Yoyo <johnduncanyo...@gmail.com>
>>>wrote:

>>>So, let me see if I've got this straight: someone is paying the
>>>Cranketeers and Fidel y Compania to play ball (and presumably selling
>>>tickets, doing promotion, etc.) and (as we know must have occurred)
>>>Batista *didn't* send in the troops and decapitate (figruatively if
>>>not literally) the rebel movement?
>>
>> The term is "suspension of disbelief"; keep in mind in the
>>Batiuk-verse, the Cleveland Indians won the World Series about ten
>>years ago . . . by beating the Yankees . . . this *without* throwing
>>in the Funky Time Warps . . .

[ Oh ... ow. ]

>A quick pass of the hat may not be unreasonable.

I suppose I could buy it as a pass-the-hat, organize this on
the fly sort of game. Maybe it's possible that the Westerview Crankees
could meet the Castros in a ball game in Cuba in 1953, although that is
a bit 'Forrest Gump' of them. How this is supposed to tie into a
coherent storyline that doesn't get Present-Day Kid annoyed at the old
folks telling him that he's right about cheating being bad so here's a
lecture about cheating being bad, I don't see.

>Well George Martin's Wild Cards books had Fidel picked up as a major
>league pitcher and no Cuban revolution. Fidel was scouted way back
>when as a pitcher.

Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.
I guess it's the irresistible bit of trivia about Fidel Castro.

--
Joseph Nebus

Mark Jackson

Apr 22, 2009, 6:25:06 PM4/22/09
Joseph Nebus wrote:

> Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
> alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.

I suppose it's more plausible than Adolf Hitler as a science fiction writer.

Never express yourself more clearly
than you are able to think. - Niels Bohr

John Duncan Yoyo

Apr 22, 2009, 11:52:09 PM4/22/09
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:25:06 -0400, Mark Jackson
<mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

>Joseph Nebus wrote:
>
>> Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
>> alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.
>
>I suppose it's more plausible than Adolf Hitler as a science fiction writer.

He was a failed painter.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 23, 2009, 1:49:54 AM4/23/09
In article <3cpvu4hpp1ujjdvt9...@4ax.com>,

John Duncan Yoyo <johndun...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:25:06 -0400, Mark Jackson
><mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>>Joseph Nebus wrote:
>>
>>> Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
>>> alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.
>>
>>I suppose it's more plausible than Adolf Hitler as a science fiction writer.
>
>He was a failed painter.
>-
>John Duncan Yoyo

That's a reference to Norman Spinard's _The Iron Dream_.

I've never read it, but H. "dabbled in radical politics" then moved to the US
making the transition from pulp cover artist to pulp writer.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Joseph Nebus

Apr 23, 2009, 2:49:23 PM4/23/09
Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

>Joseph Nebus wrote:

>> Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
>> alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.

>I suppose it's more plausible than Adolf Hitler as a science fiction writer.

Although now that the story's developed I'm not seeing how
close Castro could have got to the major leagues if he isn't able to
get the ball to the plate without it bouncing in the dirt [1] and hoping
it goes into the strike zone and maybe trick the batter into swinging
at it. Who even knew there were players taking performance-decreasing
drugs?

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090423&name=Crankshaft

[1] A case which, _Slylock Fox_ taught me last week, is covered in
the Rules of Baseball and which can result in a legal play that isn't just
the umpire calling a ball.

--
Joseph Nebus

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Apr 23, 2009, 3:27:51 PM4/23/09
On Apr 23, 2:49 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

> Mark Jackson <mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >Joseph Nebus wrote:
> >>        Castro in Major League Baseball seems to crop up fairly often in
> >> alternate history stories that have divergences plausibly near the 1950s.
> >I suppose it's more plausible than Adolf Hitler as a science fiction writer.
>
>         Although now that the story's developed I'm not seeing how
> close Castro could have got to the major leagues if he isn't able to
> get the ball to the plate without it bouncing in the dirt [1] and hoping
> it goes into the strike zone and maybe trick the batter into swinging
> at it.  Who even knew there were players taking performance-decreasing
> drugs?
>
> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20090423&name=Cr...

>         [1] A case which, _Slylock Fox_ taught me last week, is covered in
> the Rules of Baseball and which can result in a legal play that isn't just
> the umpire calling a ball.

And apparenlty Castro's baseball talent was less than professional-
level:
http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/castro.asp

Joseph Nebus

Apr 24, 2009, 3:33:41 PM4/24/09
Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> writes:

>On Apr 23, 2:49=A0pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Although now that the story's developed I'm not seeing ho=

>> close Castro could have got to the major leagues if he isn't able to
>> get the ball to the plate without it bouncing in the dirt [1] and hoping
>> it goes into the strike zone and maybe trick the batter into swinging

>> at it. =A0Who even knew there were players taking performance-decreasing
>> drugs? =A0
>>
>> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=3D20090423&name=3DCr=

>And apparenlty Castro's baseball talent was less than professional-
>level:
>http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/castro.asp

Which explains why Castro felt he had to inject amphetamines
into his baseballs, now. Neat.

--
Joseph Nebus