Rhymes w/Orange IDU at first, then IU too well (10-19)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 20, 2008, 1:23:23 AM10/20/08
It took some close examining to finally get this one; turned into
one of the more disturbing comics of the day . . .:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/rhymes.asp?date=20081019>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

cryptoguy

Oct 20, 2008, 9:36:43 AM10/20/08
On Oct 20, 1:23 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>     It took some close examining to finally get this one; turned into
> one of the more disturbing comics of the day . . .:
>
>   <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/rhymes.asp?date=20081019>

What is the message? That Van Gogh was actually eaten by the Cookie
Monster (num num num)?

Peter Trei

Robin

Oct 20, 2008, 1:13:38 PM10/20/08

Note the marker in the Cookie Monster's hand; the title on the panel;
and the added detail to the picture (left of center, near the
horizon).

For added impact, compare to the original:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Vincent_van_Gogh_(1853-1890)_-_Wheat_Field_with_Crows_(1890).jpg

More subtle than most strips, and worth the time it takes to work it
out.

--Robin

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 20, 2008, 2:14:51 PM10/20/08

In the previous article, Robin <rneth...@operamail.com> wrote:
> Note the marker in the Cookie Monster's hand; the title on the
> panel; and the added detail to the picture (left of center, near the
> horizon).

I got, without seeing the title, that it was the famous Van Gogh
painting, and the thought balloon telegraphed the "improving" part
well enough without it.

I saw the marker in the creature's hand.

I didn't get that it was the Cookie Monster (who knew he wore a dress,
anyway?). Now that I look, I see the cookie and crumbs.

All I see in the way of "added detail" is two dots that kind of make
the one crow look like a smiley face. Sort of. If you squint. I
don't see a joke in that, much less a "disturbing" one, but I assume
I'm still missing something.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

cryptoguy

Oct 20, 2008, 2:33:57 PM10/20/08
On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:

> In the previous article, Robin  <rnether...@operamail.com> wrote:
>
> > Note the marker in the Cookie Monster's hand; the title on the
> > panel; and the added detail to the picture (left of center, near the
> > horizon).
>
> I got, without seeing the title, that it was the famous Van Gogh
> painting, and the thought balloon telegraphed the "improving" part
> well enough without it.
>
> I saw the marker in the creature's hand.
>
> I didn't get that it was the Cookie Monster (who knew he wore a dress,
> anyway?).  Now that I look, I see the cookie and crumbs.
>
> All I see in the way of "added detail" is two dots that kind of make
> the one crow look like a smiley face.  Sort of.  If you squint.  I
> don't see a joke in that, much less a "disturbing" one, but I assume
> I'm still missing something.

OK, I'm going into Explain The Joke mode.

Cookie Monster has added himself into the picture,
up at the horizon. (check the blue tones - that's
not sky around the 'smiley face').

This painting is 'Crows'. Note that a road
dead-ends in the middle of the field.

Soon after finishing this painting, Van Gogh took his own
life in the middle of just such a field.

There's a popular notion that he finished the painting,
walked into the field, and shot himself. In reality, he
did so only later - its thought that some other paintings
postdate this one.

Peter Trei

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 20, 2008, 2:49:35 PM10/20/08
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:13:38 -0700 (PDT), Robin
<rneth...@operamail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 20, 8:36 am, cryptoguy <treifam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 20, 1:23 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >     It took some close examining to finally get this one; turned into
>> > one of the more disturbing comics of the day . . .:
>>
>> >   <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/rhymes.asp?date=20081019>
>>
>> What is the message? That Van Gogh was actually eaten by the Cookie
>> Monster (num num num)?
>>
>> Peter Trei
>
>Note the marker in the Cookie Monster's hand; the title on the panel;
>and the added detail to the picture (left of center, near the
>horizon).

If that's only a marker, then this isn't the disturbing comic I
thought it was.

With Van Gogh on my mind, I though CM did something much more
drastic to "spice up" the painting . . .

>For added impact, compare to the original:
>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Vincent_van_Gogh_(1853-1890)_-_Wheat_Field_with_Crows_(1890).jpg
>
>More subtle than most strips, and worth the time it takes to work it
>out.

Subtle is certainly the word here . . .

Rusty

Oct 20, 2008, 2:56:36 PM10/20/08

Part of the problem is that this comic is a very low resolution, so it
is very hard to pick out the fact that CM added a pair of googly eyes to
the light blue shape in the mid-left area.

My memory of Sesame Street is very bad, but somewhere I think I remember
CM going through a phase where he would add googly eyes to every thing
to make it 'better,' or maybe I just made that up, but it kinda makes
sense.

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 20, 2008, 4:20:00 PM10/20/08

In the previous article, Rusty <russju...@netscape.net> wrote:
> Part of the problem is that this comic is a very low resolution,

Ya think?

> so it is very hard to pick out the fact that CM added a pair of
> googly eyes to the light blue shape in the mid-left area.

And I still don't "get" what's funny (or interesting in any way) about
the Cookie Monster being in the picture, except that cookies are made
out of wheat, sort of, after a whole bunch of processing and
additional ingredients.

And I still wanna know why the Cookie Monster wears a dress that
matches his fur exactly.

Mike Marshall

Oct 20, 2008, 3:30:32 PM10/20/08
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:
>All I see in the way of "added detail" is two dots that kind of make
>the one crow look like a smiley face.

The two dots combine the crow and the cloud in the background in such
a way as to include the Cookie Monster into the picture...

-Mike

Rusty

Oct 20, 2008, 5:05:50 PM10/20/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, Rusty <russju...@netscape.net> wrote:
>> Part of the problem is that this comic is a very low resolution,
>
> Ya think?
>
>> so it is very hard to pick out the fact that CM added a pair of
>> googly eyes to the light blue shape in the mid-left area.
>
> And I still don't "get" what's funny (or interesting in any way) about
> the Cookie Monster being in the picture, except that cookies are made
> out of wheat, sort of, after a whole bunch of processing and
> additional ingredients.

It could be that CM thinks the field is a giant cookie, and the birds
are chocolate chips.

> And I still wanna know why the Cookie Monster wears a dress that
> matches his fur exactly.

I don't think CM has ever been seen from the waist up.

cryptoguy

Oct 20, 2008, 5:22:41 PM10/20/08
On Oct 20, 5:05 pm, Rusty <russjunkm...@netscape.net> wrote:
> J.D. Baldwin wrote:

ITYM the waist down.

No, not on the show. He probably looks somewhat as depicted
in the cartoon, except the 'skirt' is actually where the actor's
arm goes up.

However, he's been depicted many times in full figure, in
sanctioned Sesame Street books. There he always has
two fat, furry legs.

This cartoon's version reminds me of Bloo, from 'Foster's
Home for Imaginary Friends', a more contemporary show.

Peter Trei

Default User

Oct 20, 2008, 5:44:40 PM10/20/08
cryptoguy wrote:

And Sesame Street On Ice. Don't forget that!

Brian

won't shut up.

Mike Beede

Oct 20, 2008, 9:41:43 PM10/20/08
In article
<eee78ce4-3356-4c27...@v39g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
> wrote:
> > In the previous article, Robin  <rnether...@operamail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Note the marker in the Cookie Monster's hand; the title on the
> > > panel; and the added detail to the picture (left of center, near the
> > > horizon).
> >
> > I got, without seeing the title, that it was the famous Van Gogh
> > painting, and the thought balloon telegraphed the "improving" part
> > well enough without it.
> >
> > I saw the marker in the creature's hand.
> >
> > I didn't get that it was the Cookie Monster (who knew he wore a dress,
> > anyway?).  Now that I look, I see the cookie and crumbs.
> >
> > All I see in the way of "added detail" is two dots that kind of make
> > the one crow look like a smiley face.  Sort of.  If you squint.  I
> > don't see a joke in that, much less a "disturbing" one, but I assume
> > I'm still missing something.
>
> OK, I'm going into Explain The Joke mode.

Thanks. There was zero chance I'd have ever figured this
one out.

I have a couple problems with the strip.

Problem one: that figure doesn't look even remotely like
Cookie Monster. This is my most reasonable criticism.

Problem two: I only recognize three paintings on sight, and
this isn't one of them. I wonder how many people do recognize
this well enough to find a picture they can compare to find
the weenie?

Problem three: references to suicide are funnier if they're
talking about people I dislike, not people I admire.

I guess this sort of rolls into an overall problem four: it
just didn't seem funny, even after you explained it. But,
it *was* interesting, which (as we say in the Midwest) is
something, anyway.

Mike Beede

Cindy Kandolf

Oct 21, 2008, 2:32:32 AM10/21/08
cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> writes:
> [Cookie Monster] probably looks somewhat as depicted

> in the cartoon, except the 'skirt' is actually where the actor's
> arm goes up.

Cookie Monster is a live hand Muppet, so make that the puppeteer's
arms, plural - one for the head, one for a hand. ("Live hand" means
that the performer's actual hand is inside a glove at the end of the
Muppet's arm. Contrast that with a Muppet like Kermit, whose arms are
controlled by rods.) If the script demands that Cookie use both hands,
then two puppeteers will be involved, with the primary performer (the
one who does the voice) controlling the head, and a secondary
performer controlling both hands.

This is why most puppets with movable arms, especially Muppets, tend
to be left-handed. The performer's dominant hand generally operates
the head, which requires the greatest dexterity. For most puppeteers,
that leaves their left hand to operate the puppet's arm or hand.

- Cindy Kandolf, certified language mechanic, mamma flodnak
flodmail: ci...@nethelp.no flodhome: Bærum, Norway
flodweb: http://www.flodnak.com/

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Oct 21, 2008, 8:30:18 AM10/21/08
On Oct 21, 2:32 am, Cindy Kandolf <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:

> Cookie Monster is a live hand Muppet, so make that the puppeteer's
> arms, plural - one for the head, one for a hand. ("Live hand" means
> that the performer's actual hand is inside a glove at the end of the
> Muppet's arm. Contrast that with a Muppet like Kermit, whose arms are
> controlled by rods.) If the script demands that Cookie use both hands,
> then two puppeteers will be involved, with the primary performer (the
> one who does the voice) controlling the head, and a secondary
> performer controlling both hands.
>
> This is why most puppets with movable arms, especially Muppets, tend
> to be left-handed. The performer's dominant hand generally operates
> the head, which requires the greatest dexterity. For most puppeteers,
> that leaves their left hand to operate the puppet's arm or hand.

Thanks Cindy!- you've answered one of those questions that have
always bugged me.

Robin

Oct 21, 2008, 11:54:32 PM10/21/08
On Oct 20, 8:41 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

> Problem three: references to suicide are funnier if they're
> talking about people I dislike, not people I admire.

OK, my turn to be confused.

Where in the strip do you see a reference to suicide? Yes, Van Gogh
committed suicide -- but that doesn't have anything to do with the
joke and as far as I can see, isn't implied anywhere.

--Robin

Brian Huntley

Oct 22, 2008, 12:29:14 AM10/22/08
On Oct 21, 11:54 pm, Robin <rnether...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Where in the strip do you see a reference to suicide? Yes, Van Gogh
> committed suicide -- but that doesn't have anything to do with the
> joke and as far as I can see, isn't implied anywhere.

Van Gogh killed himself in a field. Many people believe it was the
same field as he painted in this work.

A very indirect reference indeed.