9CWL 14 Oct (maybe a little spoiler...)

aemeijers

Oct 14, 2008, 6:02:22 PM10/14/08
http://www.comics.com/comics/chickweed/archive/images/chickweed2036684081014.jpg

I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
saving herself a backache in the morning....
And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?

--
aem sends...

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 14, 2008, 7:43:35 PM10/14/08

My vision may come closer to reality than I thought!

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Freezer

Oct 14, 2008, 10:40:34 PM10/14/08
If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
win.

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:02:22 GMT, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.comics.com/comics/chickweed/archive/images/chickweed2036
>>684081014.jpg
>>
>>I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
>>saving herself a backache in the morning....
>>And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?
>
> My vision may come closer to reality than I thought!

And we come to the three billionth itteration of "WOULD YOU JUST FUCK
ALREADY?!?"

--
My name is:
____ _

Night Owl

Oct 14, 2008, 10:50:52 PM10/14/08
On Oct 14, 6:02 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:
> http://www.comics.com/comics/chickweed/archive/images/chickweed203668...

> I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
> saving herself a backache in the morning....
> And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?
>
> --
> aem sends...

Popeye for one...

Sherwood Harrington

Oct 14, 2008, 11:05:39 PM10/14/08
Night Owl <other.e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 6:02 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:
>> http://www.comics.com/comics/chickweed/archive/images/chickweed203668...
>>
>> I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
>> saving herself a backache in the morning....
>> And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?

> Popeye for one...

Didn't the children in "Peter Pan" sail in sleeping clothes?

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

racs...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2008, 11:19:41 PM10/14/08
> I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
> saving herself a backache in the morning....
> And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?

At summer camp, "sailors" were the kids who needed to be woken up and
taken to the bathroom late at night lest they sleep through a call of
nature.

Even at Camp Lord O' The Flies, it never occurred to us to make the
poor little bastards wear uniforms ...

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 15, 2008, 2:39:05 AM10/15/08
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 04:40:34 +0200 (CEST), Freezer
<free...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:

>If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
>win.
>
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:02:22 GMT, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.comics.com/comics/chickweed/archive/images/chickweed2036
>>>684081014.jpg
>>>
>>>I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
>>>saving herself a backache in the morning....
>>>And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?
>>
>> My vision may come closer to reality than I thought!
>
>And we come to the three billionth itteration of "WOULD YOU JUST FUCK
>ALREADY?!?"

Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Bobcat

Oct 15, 2008, 7:00:25 AM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 2:39 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>    Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
> well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
> again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .

I guess my mind has shut down this morning, but I don't get anything
from the final panel. Why has an image of Pib appeared on that
cylindrical thingie. And what IS it anyway?

Cindy Kandolf

Oct 15, 2008, 8:52:08 AM10/15/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
> Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
> well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
> again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .

In the first panel, Edda is walking past Manneken Pis - and it's quite
an accurate depiction of the little square, right down to the
do-not-enter sign on the building behind the statue. The part that's
confusing is that this statue, along with the Grand Place which is
only a few hundred yards away down that same street, are the heart of
the touristy district in central Brussels. So where is everybody? What
time of day or night is Edda out walking? Maybe it *is* supposed to be
a sign that the inevitable has finally occured, but if so I'd
appreciate a clearer sign in the days ahead (e.g. Joanie waking up
with Rick's arm around her).

The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.

- Cindy Kandolf, certified language mechanic, mamma flodnak
flodmail: ci...@nethelp.no flodhome: Bærum, Norway
flodweb: http://www.flodnak.com/

Paul Ciszek

Oct 15, 2008, 11:58:11 AM10/15/08

In article <85k5can...@bizet.nethelp.no>,

Cindy Kandolf <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:
>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>> Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
>> well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
>> again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .
>
>In the first panel, Edda is walking past Manneken Pis - and it's quite
>an accurate depiction of the little square, right down to the
>do-not-enter sign on the building behind the statue. The part that's
>confusing is that this statue, along with the Grand Place which is
>only a few hundred yards away down that same street, are the heart of
>the touristy district in central Brussels. So where is everybody? What
>time of day or night is Edda out walking? Maybe it *is* supposed to be
>a sign that the inevitable has finally occured, but if so I'd
>appreciate a clearer sign in the days ahead (e.g. Joanie waking up
>with Rick's arm around her).
>
>The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
>following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
>Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.

I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.

--
Please reply to: | "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on
pciszek at panix dot com | the charmingly naive notion that people will not

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 15, 2008, 12:48:33 PM10/15/08
In article <gd53uj$41q$2...@reader1.panix.com>,

Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <85k5can...@bizet.nethelp.no>,
>Cindy Kandolf <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:
>>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>>> Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
>>> well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
>>> again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .
>>
>>In the first panel, Edda is walking past Manneken Pis - and it's quite
>>an accurate depiction of the little square, right down to the
>>do-not-enter sign on the building behind the statue. The part that's
>>confusing is that this statue, along with the Grand Place which is
>>only a few hundred yards away down that same street, are the heart of
>>the touristy district in central Brussels. So where is everybody? What
>>time of day or night is Edda out walking? Maybe it *is* supposed to be
>>a sign that the inevitable has finally occured, but if so I'd
>>appreciate a clearer sign in the days ahead (e.g. Joanie waking up
>>with Rick's arm around her).
>>
>>The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
>>following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
>>Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.
>
>I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
>in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.
>
>--

Doesn't the lack of people + the lack of time in this storyline
to do touristy things indicate that Edda is probably dreaming?

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Joseph Nebus

Oct 15, 2008, 1:42:55 PM10/15/08
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) writes:

>In article <85k5can...@bizet.nethelp.no>,
>Cindy Kandolf <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:
>>The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
>>following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
>>Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.

>I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
>in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.

Maybe Pibgorn has got fed up with the undifferentiated mass
of panels in her own strip and is trying to break into one where
something happens.

--
Joseph Nebus

Detox

Oct 15, 2008, 1:45:30 PM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 12:48 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>)
wrote:
> In article <gd53uj$41...@reader1.panix.com>,
>

> Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <85k5canhqf....@bizet.nethelp.no>,
> >Cindy Kandolf  <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:

> >>In the first panel, Edda is walking past Manneken Pis - and it's quite
> >>an accurate depiction of the little square, right down to the
> >>do-not-enter sign on the building behind the statue. The part that's
> >>confusing is that this statue, along with the Grand Place which is
> >>only a few hundred yards away down that same street, are the heart of
> >>the touristy district in central Brussels. So where is everybody? What
> >>time of day or night is Edda out walking? Maybe it *is* supposed to be
> >>a sign that the inevitable has finally occured, but if so I'd
> >>appreciate a clearer sign in the days ahead (e.g. Joanie waking up
> >>with Rick's arm around her).
>
> >>The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
> >>following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
> >>Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.
>
> >I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
> >in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.
>
> Doesn't the lack of people + the lack of time in this storyline
> to do touristy things indicate that Edda is probably dreaming?

That was my conclusion. Either way I'm willing to bet that we're in
for an interesting ride.

--
Regards,
Dann

cryptoguy

Oct 15, 2008, 1:57:34 PM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 11:58 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <85k5canhqf....@bizet.nethelp.no>,

> Cindy Kandolf  <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:
>

> >Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> writes:
> >>    Well, unless the Oct. 15 comic was just an excuse to show off
> >> well-drawn Eurpoean streets, I got a major post-coital vibe; then
> >> again, I tend to get that sort of thing wrong by miles . . .
>
> >In the first panel, Edda is walking past Manneken Pis - and it's quite
> >an accurate depiction of the little square, right down to the
> >do-not-enter sign on the building behind the statue. The part that's
> >confusing is that this statue, along with the Grand Place which is
> >only a few hundred yards away down that same street, are the heart of
> >the touristy district in central Brussels. So where is everybody? What
> >time of day or night is Edda out walking? Maybe it *is* supposed to be
> >a sign that the inevitable has finally occured, but if so I'd
> >appreciate a clearer sign in the days ahead (e.g. Joanie waking up
> >with Rick's arm around her).
>
> >The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
> >following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
> >Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.
>
> I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
> in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.

I believe the Pibgorn image is actually a building sized mural on a
blank
wall. Such things are common in Paris and Brussels.

Peter Trei

Stephen Graham

Oct 15, 2008, 2:16:08 PM10/15/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> Doesn't the lack of people + the lack of time in this storyline
> to do touristy things indicate that Edda is probably dreaming?

Could be.

I just read it as a little touristy vignette as McEldowney is wont to do
on occasion.

cryptoguy

Oct 15, 2008, 2:30:23 PM10/15/08
> I know how she can get him to nod off quick enough, not to mention
> saving herself a backache in the morning....
> And who the hell sleeps in sailing clothes?

Someone engaged (consciously or not) in an act of seduction?

For that matter, who sleeps in glasses?

Peter Trei

cryptoguy

Oct 15, 2008, 2:37:53 PM10/15/08
On Oct 15, 1:42 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
> nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) writes:
> >In article <85k5canhqf....@bizet.nethelp.no>,

> >Cindy Kandolf  <ci...@bizet.nethelp.no> wrote:
> >>The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels, but I'm not
> >>following what her walk is supposed to be telling us, y'know?
> >>Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't helping, either.
> >I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who recognize everything
> >in the image so thoroughly have no idea what is actually going on.
>
>         Maybe Pibgorn has got fed up with the undifferentiated mass
> of panels in her own strip and is trying to break into one where
> something happens.

How sorely dissapointed she'll be.

Elsewhere on the funny pages, we've got Toni getting Brad
into close proximity, and Luann doing the same for Gunther.

Peter Trei

Brian Huntley

Oct 15, 2008, 10:01:31 PM10/15/08

Well, the minute she walked in the door, I could see she was a - well,
anyway, without the glasses, I wouldn't have seen.

Len-L

Oct 16, 2008, 10:14:44 AM10/16/08
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:16:08 -0700, Stephen Graham
<gra...@speakeasy.net> opined:

From the strip on 10-16, it appears you are correct, sir.
Len-L

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 16, 2008, 11:00:52 AM10/16/08
In article <12jef4l5055pamqh4...@4ax.com>,

Really? Edda has ballet class in a city on another continent? That
still seems rather dream-like.

Stephen Graham

Oct 16, 2008, 11:58:20 AM10/16/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <12jef4l5055pamqh4...@4ax.com>,
> Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:16:08 -0700, Stephen Graham
>> <gra...@speakeasy.net> opined:

>>> Could be.
>>>
>>> I just read it as a little touristy vignette as McEldowney is wont to do
>>> on occasion.
>>From the strip on 10-16, it appears you are correct, sir.
>
> Really? Edda has ballet class in a city on another continent? That
> still seems rather dream-like.

Edda is a professional in the corps de ballet of a noted American
company. It doesn't seem odd to me that she's allowed to use practice
facilities, etc., available in Brussels. It'd be odd if she wasn't doing
something to keep in practice.

Given the 10-16 strip, I think it's likely that 10-15 was Edda walking
through the early-morning streets of Brussels.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Oct 16, 2008, 11:58:40 AM10/16/08
In article <o82dnSfdAc4D-WrV...@speakeasy.net>,

You're probably right. I would have said "ballet practice" though.

Tove Momerathsson

Oct 16, 2008, 12:01:22 PM10/16/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <o82dnSfdAc4D-WrV...@speakeasy.net>,
> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>
>> Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> Really? Edda has ballet class in a city on another continent? That
>>> still seems rather dream-like.
>> Edda is a professional in the corps de ballet of a noted American
>> company. It doesn't seem odd to me that she's allowed to use practice
>> facilities, etc., available in Brussels. It'd be odd if she wasn't doing
>> something to keep in practice.
>>
>> Given the 10-16 strip, I think it's likely that 10-15 was Edda walking
>> through the early-morning streets of Brussels.
>
> You're probably right. I would have said "ballet practice" though.

When you're traveling, don't you check out the local barres?

Tove

Paul Ciszek

Oct 16, 2008, 7:24:17 PM10/16/08

In article <35a68fba-6cb8-4ddc...@v72g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

I think that joke about clothes so tight you can discern someone's
religion only works with men.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Leo Breebaart

Oct 17, 2008, 9:20:32 AM10/17/08
cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> writes:

> > >The other two panels look like the same area of Brussels,
> > >but I'm not following what her walk is supposed to be
> > >telling us, y'know? Pibgorn's unexpected cameo isn't
> > >helping, either.
> >
> > I'm somewhat re-assured to hear that even people who
> > recognize everything in the image so thoroughly have no idea
> > what is actually going on.
>
> I believe the Pibgorn image is actually a building sized mural
> on a blank wall. Such things are common in Paris and Brussels.

It's a little bit more comics-specific than that.

Belgium is the birth place of and spiritual home to quite a
sizable subsection of the European comic strip universe. Tintin
and the Smurfs are the obvious examples here, but -- trust me on
this -- there are many, many more Belgian artists, authors, and
comics that may not ring much of a bell in the English-speaking
world, but are very well known in France, Belgium, the
Netherlands, etc.

Brussels is keen to style itself as the "Comic Book Capital of
the World", and to recognise, support and exploit this Belgian
comic strip heritage. The _Belgian Center for Comic Strips_ in
Brussels is a wonderful, huge museum and documentation center
dedicated entirely to comics. A decade or so ago, this Center (in
collaboration with the city council, I think) launched the
initiative of the Brussels _Comic Book Route_, where well-known
comic artists were invited to decorate nooks and crannies of the
city with murals depicting their most famous creations.

So if you walk through the city center of Brussels, at any given
moment you can suddenly be confronted with a wall featuring a
giant-size comic strip character or scene. And that is, I think,
why McEldowney has Pibgorn looking down on Edda. It's not only a
nice tip of the hat to everyone who is familiar with the city and
its Comic Book Route and will spot the reference, but who knows,
in the alternate universe of CWL maybe there *is* a Brussels that
features murals of Pibgorn, Bucky, Arlo and Janis, Mutts, Pearls
Before Swine, the Kelpfroths...

The low-res pictures on this page:

<http://www.erasmuspc.com/index.php?task=view&id=258>

don't really do the artwork justice, and most of you won't know
most of these comics anyway, but it should at least give you an
idea of what makes the Comic Book Route such a brilliant concept.

--
Leo Breebaart <l...@lspace.org>

cryptoguy

Oct 17, 2008, 9:59:19 AM10/17/08
On Oct 17, 9:20 am, Leo Breebaart <l...@lspace.org> wrote:

That's neat - its also since my time. My family lived in Waterloo,
just south of Brussels, for seven years. There was a big image
of Tintin on one building on the Brussels ring road, but that was
the extent of the easily visible comics culture in the late 70s.
'Schtroumpfs' were around too.

Peter Trei

Robin

Oct 17, 2008, 11:20:55 AM10/17/08
On Oct 17, 8:20 am, Leo Breebaart <l...@lspace.org> wrote:
<lots of good stuff, ending with this:>

> The low-res pictures on this page:
>
>   <http://www.erasmuspc.com/index.php?task=view&id=258>
>
> don't really do the artwork justice, and most of you won't know
> most of these comics anyway, but it should at least give you an
> idea of what makes the Comic Book Route such a brilliant concept.

Oh, Leo, thank you for this link! Even the low-res pictures give a
sense of how breathtaking these are, and the trompe l'oeil effect on
many of them is truly brilliant.

I was last in Brussels in the early 1990s, which must have been before
any of these were up. I can't wait to go back.

--Robin

Stephen Graham

Oct 17, 2008, 12:16:21 PM10/17/08
Leo Breebaart wrote:

> Brussels is keen to style itself as the "Comic Book Capital of
> the World", and to recognise, support and exploit this Belgian
> comic strip heritage. The _Belgian Center for Comic Strips_ in
> Brussels is a wonderful, huge museum and documentation center
> dedicated entirely to comics. A decade or so ago, this Center (in
> collaboration with the city council, I think) launched the
> initiative of the Brussels _Comic Book Route_, where well-known
> comic artists were invited to decorate nooks and crannies of the
> city with murals depicting their most famous creations.

A little more recently than that, I think. I was in Brussels in November
1999 and visited the Center. I don't recall any mention of the route at
that time, though I could have missed it.

It was a great museum, well worth several hours to stroll through.

Leo Breebaart

Oct 17, 2008, 1:01:03 PM10/17/08
Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> writes:

I think you must have missed it. I have seen the murals as early
as 1996, and a quick Google tells me that it goes back to 1991.

However, it's something that has been continually expanded over
time. Google also says that these days there are over 50 murals,
but I'm quite sure that in 1996 there were only a dozen or so, if
that many.

--
Leo Breebaart <l...@lspace.org>

Stephen Graham

Oct 17, 2008, 1:21:05 PM10/17/08
Leo Breebaart wrote:
> Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> writes:

>> A little more recently than that, I think. I was in Brussels in
>> November 1999 and visited the Center. I don't recall any
>> mention of the route at that time, though I could have missed
>> it.
>
> I think you must have missed it. I have seen the murals as early
> as 1996, and a quick Google tells me that it goes back to 1991.

Or I just don't recall mention of it. Too bad, it would have been an
interesting adjunct to wandering about the city.

Mike B

Oct 17, 2008, 2:34:24 PM10/17/08
Wow, thanks for the link, I had no idea they had embraced comics so
much in Brussels.

But after saying that, I must say the first thing I thought of looking
at the depiction of Pib in the background of that strip was another
city, London, quite a few years ago. I was reminded somewhat of the
huge poster near Picadilly Circus. Having a several-story tall version
of that waif staring down at you was kind of creepy...

<http://www.footlightsgallery.com/imagelg/mis2.jpg>