Funky Winkerbean - Marvelmaniac

D. D. Degg

Jun 15, 2008, 9:31:45 PM6/15/08
http://www.timesunion.com/comics/?feature_id=Funky_Winkerbean&feature_date=2008-06-15

The original, unaltered comic book cover
from August 1966 by Jack Kirby and Don Heck
(who Batiuk credits in his strip).
http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=20270&zoom=4

footnote - The Cosmic Cube was (is?) the ultimate
Deus Ex Machina in the Marvel Universe.
Anything and everything was possible for the
one who held the Cosmic Cube.
(Forget about magnetism controlling the universe.)

D.D.Degg

Paige

Jun 15, 2008, 9:39:48 PM6/15/08
On Jun 15, 6:31 pm, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> http://www.timesunion.com/comics/?feature_id=Funky_Winkerbean&feature...

> The original, unaltered comic book cover
> from August 1966 by Jack Kirby and Don Heck
> (who Batiuk credits in his strip).http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=20270&zoom=4

> footnote - The Cosmic Cube was (is?) the ultimate
> Deus Ex Machina in the Marvel Universe.
> Anything and everything was possible for the
> one who held the Cosmic Cube.
> (Forget about magnetism controlling the universe.)
>
> D.D.Degg

HOLY MOLY! Thanks for posting this, D.

Very cool.

Kudos, Batiuk!

Paige

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 15, 2008, 11:51:24 PM6/15/08

Ummm, anyone else find it just a *tad* harsh to see Funky compared
to Red Skull?

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Mike Marshall

Jun 16, 2008, 11:21:58 AM6/16/08
"D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> writes:
>footnote - The Cosmic Cube was (is?) the ultimate
>Deus Ex Machina in the Marvel Universe.
>Anything and everything was possible for the
>one who held the Cosmic Cube.
>(Forget about magnetism controlling the universe.)

Is it even cooler than the gizmo they sent the torch after in
FF #4? that they used to whip Galactus with?

Did everyone's else mother thow that issue away after they
went away to college?

-Mike

Beefies

Jun 16, 2008, 12:38:42 PM6/16/08
> "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> writes:
>>footnote - The Cosmic Cube was (is?) the ultimate
>>Deus Ex Machina in the Marvel Universe.
>>Anything and everything was possible for the
>>one who held the Cosmic Cube.
>>(Forget about magnetism controlling the universe.)
>
> Is it even cooler than the gizmo they sent the torch after in
> FF #4? that they used to whip Galactus with?

Ah, the Ultimate Nullifier. I don't believe its properties or purpose were
ever really defined--just that it was scary enough that even the mighty
Galactus was horrified to see a puny human's finger on the trigger.

My sense is that the Cosmic Cube beats the Ultimate Nullifier. The Cube does
literally anything you could imagine--including create another Ultimate
Nullifier, or perhaps a way to counteract it. But then the Nullifier does
have the word "Ultimate" in its name... Maybe it could nullify the Cube?

Sounds like an excuse for another 12-issue mini-series that shakes the
Marvel Universe to its foundations. Again.

Brian F.
momscancer.com
momscancer.blogspot.com

Joseph Nebus

Jun 16, 2008, 1:02:49 PM6/16/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:31:45 -0700 (PDT), "D. D. Degg"
><ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>http://www.timesunion.com/comics/?feature_id=Funky_Winkerbean&feature_date=2008-06-15
>>
>>The original, unaltered comic book cover
>>from August 1966 by Jack Kirby and Don Heck
>>(who Batiuk credits in his strip).
>>http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=20270&zoom=4

> Ummm, anyone else find it just a *tad* harsh to see Funky compared
>to Red Skull?

I don't know. Did Red Skull ever suffer from cancer of the
alcoholic mugging amputation-induced deaf post-traumatic land mine?

--
Joseph Nebus

Freezer

Jun 16, 2008, 1:26:24 PM6/16/08
If I don't respond to this Beefies post, the terrorists win.

> Ah, the Ultimate Nullifier. I don't believe its properties or
> purpose were ever really defined--just that it was scary enough
> that even the mighty Galactus was horrified to see a puny human's
> finger on the trigger.

Yes, but the Nullifier has one LARGE catch: The user has to fix the
target in his mind before firing. If he doesn't do it with enough
clarity, *the user* gets nullified.

--
My name is:
____ _

Freezer

Jun 16, 2008, 1:26:52 PM6/16/08
If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
win.

> Ummm, anyone else find it just a *tad* harsh to see Funky compared
> to Red Skull?

Yeah. The Skull gets better lines.

Mike B

Jun 16, 2008, 8:29:02 PM6/16/08
Mike Marshall wrote:
> "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> writes:
>> footnote - The Cosmic Cube was (is?) the ultimate
>> Deus Ex Machina in the Marvel Universe.
>> Anything and everything was possible for the
>> one who held the Cosmic Cube.
>> (Forget about magnetism controlling the universe.)
>
> Is it even cooler than the gizmo they sent the torch after in
> FF #4? that they used to whip Galactus with?

The Ultimate Nullifier? I don't know if Marvel ever showed it
at work; the very sight of it in a human's hands was enough
to freak the Big G out.

Maybe it nullifies whatever the Cosmic Cube does!

Mike B

Jun 16, 2008, 8:31:21 PM6/16/08
Brian wrote:
> But then the Nullifier does have the word "Ultimate" in its name...
> Maybe it could nullify the Cube?
> Sounds like an excuse for another 12-issue mini-series that shakes
> the Marvel Universe to its foundations. Again.

I see you and I had similar ideas.

Maybe it makes Marvel's "Ultimate" universe vanish?

Freezer

Jun 16, 2008, 8:08:42 PM6/16/08
If I don't respond to this Mike B post, the terrorists win.

> The Ultimate Nullifier? I don't know if Marvel ever showed it
> at work; the very sight of it in a human's hands was enough
> to freak the Big G out.

The one time I saw someone actually use it ws during one of the
Infinity crossovers, Quasar tried to use it on Thanos. Unfortunately,
Thanos A) saw it coming and B) made it backfire on him.

johndun...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2008, 4:45:26 PM6/21/08

Nope. The best way to prevent that sydnrome is have a copy of Overstreet's and show it to mom. My
father nearly cried when he looked through mine. He had a well loved copy of Action 1 that got
traded back to the Newstand for more comics.