DS - 22 October 2008

Dann

Oct 22, 2008, 7:35:45 AM10/22/08
<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
&name=Doonesbury>

Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round of
media interviews. The problem with the analogy is that professors aren't
interviewing anyone, they are teaching.

Meanwhile, the media really is a filter...an unevenly applied filter at
that. And they really do think that every candidate should pass their
tests before voters get a shot at them.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Heather Kendrick

Oct 22, 2008, 11:01:40 AM10/22/08
In article <Xns9B3F4D6DB2927d...@74.209.136.82>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round of
> media interviews. The problem with the analogy is that professors aren't
> interviewing anyone, they are teaching.

You'd be surprised at the variety of my job. Some days I teach, some
days I interview, some days I pull teeth. I'm mostly a dentist this
semester.

Heather

Jim Strain

Oct 22, 2008, 12:35:36 PM10/22/08
On Oct 22, 4:35 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
> &name=Doonesbury>
>
> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round of
> media interviews.  The problem with the analogy is that professors aren't
> interviewing anyone, they are teaching.
>
> Meanwhile, the media really is a filter...an unevenly applied filter at
> that.  And they really do think that every candidate should pass their
> tests before voters get a shot at them.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dann

Classrooms teach a lot of things, including how to apply what we learn
from "real world" sources. This thread harkens back to one of my all
time favorite Doonesbury quotes: "A B-plus is a racist grade!"
. . . jim strain in san diego.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 22, 2008, 2:32:32 PM10/22/08
On 22 Oct 2008 11:35:45 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
>&name=Doonesbury>
>
>Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round of
>media interviews. The problem with the analogy is that professors aren't
>interviewing anyone, they are teaching.

Thank you for proving you've never taken a college/university
course . . .

>Meanwhile, the media really is a filter...an unevenly applied filter at
>that. And they really do think that every candidate should pass their
>tests before voters get a shot at them.

The filter has "Corporate" writen all over it; the only bias is
money . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 22, 2008, 3:41:08 PM10/22/08
On 22 Oct 2008 11:35:45 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22
>&name=Doonesbury>

<snip>

Seriously, it's been established what DS is, and the specific comic
it relates to. Surely you're creative enough to come up with
something for *this* specific comic; I'm not that creative, and I
*still* came up with "DS Alert"!

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 22, 2008, 3:46:54 PM10/22/08

In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Subject: DS - 22 October 2008

If you really need to do that, maybe 'DbS' would be better.
Personally, I find the construction a "funny-once" (if that) sort of
thing and would prefer to see it dropped altogether.

> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round
> of media interviews. The problem with the analogy is that
> professors aren't interviewing anyone, they are teaching.
>
> Meanwhile, the media really is a filter...an unevenly applied filter
> at that. And they really do think that every candidate should pass
> their tests before voters get a shot at them.

Well, isn't that kind of what they're there for?

Not that some of the players don't let the role go to their heads, you
understand.

As for the issue itself, I think the incident that sparked today's
little zinger was one of the things for which Palin actually deserves
praise. Just about every candidate who's ever done one of these
televised debates (or, for that matter, other interviews) pretty well
ignores the questions as asked in favor of their own speechifying.
Palin's crime here is that she was honest and straightforward about
doing just what they *all* do.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Detox

Oct 22, 2008, 5:08:07 PM10/22/08
On Oct 22, 3:41 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

I thought you approved of behavior that subverted the dominant
culture. How reactionary of you to disapprove!

--
Regards,
Dann

Dann

Oct 22, 2008, 10:07:53 PM10/22/08
On 22 Oct 2008, J.D. Baldwin said the following in news:gdnvve$5n2$1
@reader1.panix.com.

> In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's round
>> of media interviews. The problem with the analogy is that
>> professors aren't interviewing anyone, they are teaching.
>>
>> Meanwhile, the media really is a filter...an unevenly applied filter
>> at that. And they really do think that every candidate should pass
>> their tests before voters get a shot at them.
>
> Well, isn't that kind of what they're there for?
>
> Not that some of the players don't let the role go to their heads, you
> understand.

WRT the national media, almost all the players have let that role go to
their heads. They have abandoned any pretense at being unbiased.

IMO.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 22, 2008, 11:26:44 PM10/22/08
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Detox <deto...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Dominant culture? Me?! I wish . . .

> How reactionary of you to disapprove!

I don't recall it being reactionary to disapprove of a complete
lack of creativity . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Jym Dyer

Oct 25, 2008, 3:24:04 AM10/25/08
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22&name=Doonesbury

> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's
> round of media interviews. The problem with the analogy is
> that professors aren't interviewing anyone, they are teaching.

=v= Well, that's a stretch. The analogy, which seems mighty
obvious to me, is actually between Ms. Plain and the *students*,
not the media and professors.
<_Jym_>

Dann

Oct 25, 2008, 10:17:59 AM10/25/08
On 25 Oct 2008, Jym Dyer said the following in

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/10/22&name=Doo
> nesbury

>> Obviously this arc is supposed to be analogous of Mrs. Palin's
>> round of media interviews. The problem with the analogy is
>> that professors aren't interviewing anyone, they are teaching.
>
> =v= Well, that's a stretch. The analogy, which seems mighty
> obvious to me, is actually between Ms. Plain and the *students*,
> not the media and professors.

Hard to have one without the other.

Jym Dyer

Oct 25, 2008, 12:55:30 PM10/25/08
> Hard to have one without the other.

=v= Yes, but that's not the point of the strips.
<_Jym_>

Dann

Oct 25, 2008, 6:05:07 PM10/25/08

>> Hard to have one without the other.

> =v= Yes, but that's not the point of the strips.

I am impressed but unsurprised with the lengths people will go to excuse
sloppy writing.

Rich Carreiro

Oct 25, 2008, 8:49:21 PM10/25/08
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> writes:

>> =v= Yes, but that's not the point of the strips.
>
> I am impressed but unsurprised with the lengths people will go to excuse
> sloppy writing.

Narrow=v=minded ideologues are particularly good at that.

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 28, 2008, 4:09:11 PM10/28/08
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:49:21 -0400, Rich Carreiro
<rlc-...@rlcarr.com> wrote:

>Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>> =v= Yes, but that's not the point of the strips.
>>
>> I am impressed but unsurprised with the lengths people will go to excuse
>> sloppy writing.
>
>Narrow=v=minded ideologues are particularly good at that.

Sounds like someone with experience talking . . .

Jym Dyer

Oct 29, 2008, 1:27:49 PM10/29/08
>> Narrow=v=minded ideologues are particularly good at that.
> Sounds like someone with experience talking . . .

=v= Oh, Rich Carreiro just likes to take unfounded and at
times incomprehensible pokes at me. Beats workin', I guess.
<_Jym_>