Chickweed Lane

1 view

Paul Ciszek

Sep 16, 2008, 10:01:40 AM9/16/08
So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
from Amos?

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

John Reiher

Sep 16, 2008, 11:29:14 AM9/16/08
In article <gaoe84$rr$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

> So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
> from Amos?

I've a feeling that she wants to share more than spit between them. ;-)

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

ted.go...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2008, 12:22:47 PM9/16/08
On Sep 16, 10:01 am, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
> from Amos?

That may be the result, but I gotta say, the expression on her face
doesn't look malicious...

unMichael

Sep 16, 2008, 4:06:16 PM9/16/08

I'm not getting malice from that, either. And I must say, with this
spontaneous little bit of tenderness between them, they've moved to
the front of the order for likability of characters in this strip.
That will probably will change in the not too distant future, but I'm
a sucker for this sort of thing.

Paul Ciszek

Sep 16, 2008, 7:26:22 PM9/16/08

In article <586eac01-ea79-4d5f...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

Burkhardt has been portrayed believably as a can't-keep-it-in-his-pants
type. I think any involvement with him would be disasterous.

aemeijers

Sep 16, 2008, 9:01:17 PM9/16/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <586eac01-ea79-4d5f...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> unMichael <unmi...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> That may be the result, but I gotta say, the expression on her face
>>> doesn't look malicious...
>> I'm not getting malice from that, either. And I must say, with this
>> spontaneous little bit of tenderness between them, they've moved to
>> the front of the order for likability of characters in this strip.
>> That will probably will change in the not too distant future, but I'm
>> a sucker for this sort of thing.
>
> Burkhardt has been portrayed believably as a can't-keep-it-in-his-pants
> type. I think any involvement with him would be disasterous.

Lordy. She is discombobulated from her charms not working on a callow
youth, borderline delirious from the galloping crud that said youth gave
her, halfway swooned, and Burkhart caught her as she was passing out.
IOW, she is non compos mentos at the moment. They do have a sparring
history, so they aren't strangers. He is warm and strong, and he is
there. This is a Hawkeye and Hotlips in the forward observation post
moment. A gentleman would pat her on the head, put her to bed, and
either bunk down on the couch or leave. Burkhart, being slime, may
decide getting the crud and missing whatever his pending performance is,
is a worthwhile risk to knock off a piece and permanently count coup on
his adversary.

--
aem sends...

nickelshrink

Sep 16, 2008, 10:05:23 PM9/16/08
aemeijers wrote:
> Paul Ciszek wrote:
>> In article
>> <586eac01-ea79-4d5f...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> unMichael <unmi...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I'm not getting malice from that, either. And I must say, with this
>>> spontaneous little bit of tenderness between them, they've moved to
>>> the front of the order for likability of characters in this strip.
>>> That will probably will change in the not too distant future, but I'm
>>> a sucker for this sort of thing.
>>
>> Burkhardt has been portrayed believably as a can't-keep-it-in-his-pants
>> type. I think any involvement with him would be disasterous.
>>
> Lordy. She is discombobulated from her charms not working on a callow
> youth, borderline delirious from the galloping crud that said youth gave
> her, halfway swooned, and Burkhart caught her as she was passing out.
> IOW, she is non compos mentos at the moment.

I agree. She Certifiable at this point.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 17, 2008, 1:04:58 AM9/17/08
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:29:14 -0700, John Reiher
<kedamo...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:

>In article <gaoe84$rr$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>
>> So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
>> from Amos?
>
>I've a feeling that she wants to share more than spit between them. ;-)

Then she'll be giving him something far worse than what she got
form Amos!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

John Reiher

Sep 17, 2008, 1:34:50 AM9/17/08
In article <nu31d41qpt4qr56s7...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:29:14 -0700, John Reiher
> <kedamo...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <gaoe84$rr$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
> > nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> >
> >> So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
> >> from Amos?
> >
> >I've a feeling that she wants to share more than spit between them. ;-)
> >

> Then she'll be giving him something far worse than what she got
> form Amos!

I figure she's a smart woman and she is no longer contagious...

Ted Goldblatt

Sep 17, 2008, 1:47:17 AM9/17/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <586eac01-ea79-4d5f...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> unMichael <unmi...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> That may be the result, but I gotta say, the expression on her face
>>> doesn't look malicious...
>> I'm not getting malice from that, either. And I must say, with this
>> spontaneous little bit of tenderness between them, they've moved to
>> the front of the order for likability of characters in this strip.
>> That will probably will change in the not too distant future, but I'm
>> a sucker for this sort of thing.
>
> Burkhardt has been portrayed believably as a can't-keep-it-in-his-pants
> type. I think any involvement with him would be disasterous.

They have discussed between themselves that they are too much alike to
actually become involved with each other. I don't think either one
would particularly be the injured party...

Ted Goldblatt

Sep 17, 2008, 1:53:27 AM9/17/08

I don't think he is taking advantage of her. I think they are a pair of
players that have apparently lost their attempted plays. At some level,
both are slime, and neither has chased the other or would consider this
a coup - they are too much alike. If anything, this is a rare (if not
unprecedented) loss for both of them, and perhaps they are taking
solace, perhaps they are recognizing that despite their earlier denials,
they would fit well together...

Rob Wynne

Sep 17, 2008, 9:52:27 AM9/17/08
Ted Goldblatt <ted.go...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think he is taking advantage of her. I think they are a pair of
> players that have apparently lost their attempted plays. At some level,
> both are slime, and neither has chased the other or would consider this
> a coup - they are too much alike. If anything, this is a rare (if not
> unprecedented) loss for both of them, and perhaps they are taking
> solace, perhaps they are recognizing that despite their earlier denials,
> they would fit well together...

I have a Monsieur Choderlos de Laclos holding for you on line 2...

Rob
(...Mr. Malkovich? Please hold...)

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Detox

Sep 17, 2008, 10:04:33 AM9/17/08
On Sep 17, 9:52 am, Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

> Ted Goldblatt <ted.goldbl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I don't think he is taking advantage of her.  I think they are a pair of
> > players that have apparently lost their attempted plays.  At some level,
> > both are slime, and neither has chased the other or would consider this
> > a coup - they are too much alike.  If anything, this is a rare (if not
> > unprecedented) loss for both of them, and perhaps they are taking
> > solace, perhaps they are recognizing that despite their earlier denials,
> > they would fit well together...
>
> I have a Monsieur Choderlos de Laclos holding for you on line 2...
>
> Rob
> (...Mr. Malkovich?  Please hold...)

Well played, sir. Very well played.

--
Regards,
Dann

johndun...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2008, 10:41:42 AM9/17/08
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:34:50 -0700, John Reiher <kedamo...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:

>In article <nu31d41qpt4qr56s7...@4ax.com>,
> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:29:14 -0700, John Reiher
>> <kedamo...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:

>> >I've a feeling that she wants to share more than spit between them. ;-)
>> >

>> Then she'll be giving him something far worse than what she got
>> form Amos!
>>

>I figure she's a smart woman and she is no longer contagious...

She is a vengeful woman and knows she is contagious.
-
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)
Brought to you by the Binks for Senate campaign comittee.
Coruscant is far, far away from wesa on Naboo.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 17, 2008, 11:33:08 AM9/17/08
On Sep 16, 11:29 am, John Reiher <kedamono.P...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:
> In article <gaoe84$r...@reader1.panix.com>,

>  nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>
> > So is Isabella maliciously giving Burkhardt the same crud she got
> > from Amos?
>
> I've a feeling that she wants to share more than spit between them. ;-)

This whole rendevous falls into the "icky-ew!" category for me: when I
am all congested, achey, and flu-ridden, canoodling is the last thing
I feel like doing. And, as much as I love my wife, a phlegmy, mouth
breathing, rheumy-eyed woman quickly cools my libido.

Freezer

Sep 18, 2008, 12:49:51 AM9/18/08
If I don't respond to this Detox post, the terrorists win.

> Choderlos de Laclos

*is unfamiliar. Googles*

Ah! Well played, indeed!

--
My name is:
____ _

Freezer

Sep 18, 2008, 12:51:06 AM9/18/08
If I don't respond to this Blinky the Wonder Wombat post, the
terrorists win.

> This whole rendevous falls into the "icky-ew!" category for me:
> when I am all congested, achey, and flu-ridden, canoodling is the
> last thing I feel like doing. And, as much as I love my wife, a
> phlegmy, mouth breathing, rheumy-eyed woman quickly cools my
> libido.

Some people are into that sort of thing. Or in this case, I think
Burkhart has enough backlog of "WANT" to clear that hurdle with room to
spare.

Bobcat

Sep 18, 2008, 6:40:53 AM9/18/08
On Sep 18, 12:51 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:
> Some people are into that sort of thing.  Or in this case, I think
> Burkhart has enough backlog of "WANT" to clear that hurdle with room to
> spare.

What Burkhart needs is a guest appearance by Dru. She'll clear the
backlog - it's what she does very well.

Dann

Sep 18, 2008, 6:44:35 AM9/18/08
On 18 Sep 2008, Freezer said the following in

> *is unfamiliar. Googles*

As did I, but the mention of John Malkovich had me already thinking in that
direction.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

unMichael

Sep 18, 2008, 10:34:09 AM9/18/08
On Sep 16, 10:05 pm, nickelshrink <nickelshr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> aemeijers wrote:
> > Paul Ciszek wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <586eac01-ea79-4d5f-a85f-b8c857e20...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Burkhardt has been portrayed believably as a can't-keep-it-in-his-pants
> >> type.  I think any involvement with him would be disasterous.
>
> > Lordy. She is discombobulated from her charms not working on a callow
> > youth, borderline delirious from the galloping crud that said youth gave
> > her, halfway swooned, and Burkhart caught her as she was passing out.
> > IOW, she is  non compos mentos at the moment.
>
> I agree.  She Certifiable at this point.

I'll have to concede I was wrong on this one. I figured if she was
supposed to have impaired judgment it would have been more obvious in
her speech (this being a typical way for a strip to show such a
thing). But today's strip makes clear that she was mentally as well
as physically incapacitated by her illness. Nothing nice, here.

Jim Strain

Sep 18, 2008, 11:55:19 AM9/18/08
On Sep 18, 3:44 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2008, Freezer said the following innews:Xns9B1CF26C2192Ef...@194.177.96.26.

> > *is unfamiliar. Googles*
>
> As did I, but the mention of John Malkovich had me already thinking in that
> direction.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dann

Does anyone even *remember* what life was like before Google? A trip
to the library to check their 12-year-old Encyclopedia Americana? How
much help would *that* be? The mind reels.
. . . jim strain in san diego.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 18, 2008, 12:31:11 PM9/18/08
In article <e0f6c2bc-75d4-4a84...@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

On the other hand, it makes you reluctant to start what could be interesting
threads since you can just google the answer to your initial question..

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Mike Marshall

Sep 18, 2008, 1:34:36 PM9/18/08
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:
>>Does anyone even *remember* what life was like before Google?

Yep... as a cartoonist, I used to dream for the solution that google
turned out to be.

You've got an idea for a comic, but it needs to have a space shuttle in it.
How the )*% do you draw a space shuttle that looks like a space shuttle!??!
Off to the library to look in some magazines.

Cartoonists used to have... morgues? ... stashes of pictures they saved
and cataloged and organized, that they could turn to when they needed to
draw a comic with an xyzzy in it...

-Mike

cryptoguy

Sep 18, 2008, 5:48:04 PM9/18/08

Well, pre-Google, it would take a certain level of priggishness
to name the (fairly obscure) character, and not the story. Now,
the availability of Google makes that unnecessary. I guessed
the source from the name, but was far from sure till I looked
it up.

Pre-google, there was altavista, the first effective search
engine. Before that, most sites maintained lengthy lists
of 'related sites'. You could hop from one to another to
zero in on information you wanted. It was slow.

Yahoo started out as just such a list. The last vestiges
of the original Yahoo can be found at
http://dir.yahoo.com/

Peter Trei

Carl Fink

Sep 18, 2008, 9:25:13 PM9/18/08
On 2008-09-18, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 11:55=A0am, Jim Strain <jaspstr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone even *remember* what life was like before Google? =A0A trip
>> to the library to check their 12-year-old Encyclopedia Americana? =A0How
>> much help would *that* be? =A0The mind reels.

> Well, pre-Google, it would take a certain level of priggishness
> to name the (fairly obscure) character, and not the story. Now,
> the availability of Google makes that unnecessary. I guessed
> the source from the name, but was far from sure till I looked
> it up.
>
> Pre-google, there was altavista, the first effective search
> engine. Before that, most sites maintained lengthy lists
> of 'related sites'. You could hop from one to another to
> zero in on information you wanted. It was slow.
>
> Yahoo started out as just such a list. The last vestiges
> of the original Yahoo can be found at
> http://dir.yahoo.com/

No one else here participated in the Internet Hunts, or remembers Veronica,
the Gopher search engine?
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Boyd Nation

Sep 18, 2008, 11:15:35 PM9/18/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:25:13 +0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> On 2008-09-18, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No one else here participated in the Internet Hunts, or remembers Veronica,
> the Gopher search engine?

I just barely post often enough to qualify as being here, but I'm in the
FAQ, so I guess I count -- I remember Archie and the yawning chasm before
it.

--
Boyd Nation
www.boydsworld.com

Ted Goldblatt

Sep 18, 2008, 11:47:01 PM9/18/08
Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2008-09-18, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 18, 11:55=A0am, Jim Strain <jaspstr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone even *remember* what life was like before Google? =A0A trip
>>> to the library to check their 12-year-old Encyclopedia Americana? =A0How
>>> much help would *that* be? =A0The mind reels.
>> Well, pre-Google, it would take a certain level of priggishness
>> to name the (fairly obscure) character, and not the story. Now,
>> the availability of Google makes that unnecessary. I guessed
>> the source from the name, but was far from sure till I looked
>> it up.
>>
>> Pre-google, there was altavista, the first effective search
>> engine. Before that, most sites maintained lengthy lists
>> of 'related sites'. You could hop from one to another to
>> zero in on information you wanted. It was slow.
>>
>> Yahoo started out as just such a list. The last vestiges
>> of the original Yahoo can be found at
>> http://dir.yahoo.com/
>
> No one else here participated in the Internet Hunts, or remembers Veronica,
> the Gopher search engine?

Some of us predate the Internet (and for that matter CSNet, Arpanet, and
usenet). As Jim Strain indicated, back then, you had to physically go
to the library, and by hand look up things written on paper. It was
less convenient, but it had its own charms...

And yes, I used Archie, Veronica (but not, as I recall, Jughead), and
WAIS. Don't think I really miss them - other than the fact that when
they were the state of the art, the net seemed a nicer place, and
usenet's overall S/N ratio was much better...

(though this group seems almost like the old days)

ted

aemeijers

Sep 19, 2008, 12:15:53 AM9/19/08

We've discussed this on here many times before. As much as I love Google
(and all the search engines that came before), it does have a couple of
shortcomings- 1. No serendipity factor- many a time I would be going
through the card catalog (with lovely handscribed 100 year old cards,
sometimes), and trip across valuable leads. Not to mention when actually
in the stacks finding my chosen book, my eyes would be caught by the
nearby ones on the shelf. 2. A tendency I notice in myself, and I
understand is endemic among current post-internet students- 'if it isn't
on the Net, it doesn't exist'. There are mega-terabytes of data out
there that NEVER WILL be on the net, and we are in danger of losing them
through disuse, since if people don't look at it, libraries get rid of it.

As an official old fart who has been on the Net since the mid-80s- I
concur, it used to be a lot friendlier, with a better s/n ratio.
Primarily because you had to have a few brain cells to even get on
there, I think. It was also a lot smaller in volume and scope, so there
was less of the 'drinking from a firehose' feeling. I could write to
actual semi-famous geeks and experts, and often get personal replies.
Most of them probably don't get online anymore at all, at least not
under their real names. Almost a college atmosphere back then (since
most of the users were attached to a college), where the brainiacs felt
an obligation to enlighten the newbies.

--
aem sends...

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 19, 2008, 12:18:11 AM9/19/08
In article <6jgllmF...@mid.individual.net>,

At first USENET was like that Gene Wolf character with short term memory
loss who had to read his log every morning to remind himself who he was.

Then there were "well known" FTP sites like simtel, gopher, archie etc
and then the web.

At first, NCSA ran a "new sites" list for Mosaic users that was the go-to
spot for web goodness. Then came two efforts I get mixed up on. I think
that O'Reily put the "Whole Internet Catalog" online as a web site and that
was about the first web directory. At about the same time, a site called GNN
(Global Net Navigator) was sort of a proto Yahoo.

Yahoo itself was essentially a drill-down card catalog sort of thing. You
would hit the top level category for something like "Communication", then
find "Newspapers" under that, then find "By State", then "Dailies" then
maybe your local paper. In some ways that's better than it is now, but
the scope makes it no longer practical..

ronniecat

Sep 19, 2008, 8:01:38 PM9/19/08
Boyd Nation <bo...@localhost.localdomain> wrote in

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:25:13 +0000 (UTC), Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-18, cryptoguy <treif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No one else here participated in the Internet Hunts, or remembers
>> Veronica, the Gopher search engine?
>
> I just barely post often enough to qualify as being here, but I'm in
> the FAQ, so I guess I count -- I remember Archie and the yawning chasm
> before it.

Oh lord. Archie, Veronica, gopher, fidonet... wasn't there also a
Jughead? And possiblly a Betty?

A guy who ran one of the first and best BBSes we accessed way back then
went on to start a local chain of used electronics and musical instrument
stores... "Digital World - Where it's just too good to be through".
'Course, we still refer to it as just, "Trevor's", same as we did when we
dropped by his apartment 15 years ago to drop off our monthly BBS
membership fees.

(Mr. Ronniecat buys so much junk there that *I* get the "musician's
discount")

ronnie
--
Address altered to avoid spam; remove mycollar to reply
http://www.hearingloss.blogspot.com

Jim Ellwanger

Sep 19, 2008, 9:12:21 PM9/19/08
In article <7KFAk.31576$kh2....@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,

t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> Yahoo itself was essentially a drill-down card catalog sort of thing. You
> would hit the top level category for something like "Communication", then
> find "Newspapers" under that, then find "By State", then "Dailies" then
> maybe your local paper. In some ways that's better than it is now, but
> the scope makes it no longer practical..

Still available, and seems to be kept reasonably up-to-date:
http://dir.yahoo.com/

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.