Day by Day (6-4)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 5, 2008, 5:53:31 PM6/5/08
Looks like Chris Muis is wearing blinders again, and doin' the old
projection into his comic . . .:

<http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2008/06/04/>

Here's the reality check; too bad things have to be going "bad" to
get people's attention to something they should know is wrong to begin
with . . .:

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>

Besides the necessary pullout, Obama's also said he's open to
prosecuting members of the current administration for war crimes;
there'd better be followthrough on that one . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Dann

Jun 6, 2008, 6:51:20 AM6/6/08
On 05 Jun 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

> Looks like Chris Muis is wearing blinders again, and doin' the old
> projection into his comic . . .:
>
> <http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2008/06/04/>
>
> Here's the reality check; too bad things have to be going "bad" to
> get people's attention to something they should know is wrong to begin
> with . . .:
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>

Oh the irony's starting to get a little thick.

The point of the strip is that coverage of Iraq has dropped off. The
informed observer notes that this decline in coverage is concomitant with
the success of our surge operations coupled with Iraqi police and army
operations and of course the "Awakening" movement that includes Sunnis
and now Shiites.

Essentially, the news coverage of Iraq is limited to whenever a random
car bomb kills people.

And you produce two stories about random car bombs killing people.

I'll qualify the above by noting that there are stories about Iraq that
don't focus on the body count from time to time. But the general trend
based on my news consumption is if it bleeds it gets reported.
Everything else will either be condensed and shoved on page A47, or held
for the Sunday edition.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 6, 2008, 9:44:14 AM6/6/08
On 6 Jun 2008 10:51:20 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 05 Jun 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in
>
>> Looks like Chris Muis is wearing blinders again, and doin' the old
>> projection into his comic . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2008/06/04/>
>>
>> Here's the reality check; too bad things have to be going "bad" to
>> get people's attention to something they should know is wrong to begin
>> with . . .:
>>
>> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>
>>
>> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>
>
>Oh the irony's starting to get a little thick.

No irony, just reality . . .

>The point of the strip is that coverage of Iraq has dropped off. The
>informed observer notes that this decline in coverage is concomitant with
>the success of our surge operations

*snort*

Wow, "success of our surge operations,"; probably typed with a
straight face, too! Even Gen. Ass-kissing Chickenshit admited the
"surge" can't be manintained; not to mention it's irrelevance to the
recent "decline" in violence, or the overall wrongness of the
situation (hint: seriously, time to pull out!) . . .

coupled with Iraqi police and army
>operations

Collaborators who'll all eventually get their comeuppance . . .

and of course the "Awakening" movement that includes Sunnis
>and now Shiites.

Seriously, this brand of bullshit just doesn't fly . . .

>Essentially, the news coverage of Iraq is limited to whenever a random
>car bomb kills people.

In ohter words, the relevant news . . .

>And you produce two stories about random car bombs killing people.
>
>I'll qualify the above by noting that there are stories about Iraq that
>don't focus on the body count from time to time.

Sure, like Scott McClellan's revelations, or Congress recently
further confirming we were lied into this . . .

But the general trend
>based on my news consumption is if it bleeds it gets reported.
>Everything else will either be condensed and shoved on page A47, or held
>for the Sunday edition.

You got that last part right, but likely not the way you intended .
. .

Detox

Jun 6, 2008, 12:53:53 PM6/6/08

.

> >The point of the strip is that coverage of Iraq has dropped off.  The
> >informed observer notes that this decline in coverage is concomitant with
> >the success of our surge operations
>
> *snort*
>
>    Wow, "success of our surge operations,"; probably typed with a
> straight face, too!  Even Gen. Ass-kissing Chickenshit admited the
> "surge" can't be manintained; not to mention it's irrelevance to the
> recent "decline" in violence, or the overall wrongness of the
> situation (hint: seriously, time to pull out!) . . .

<http://www.brookings.edu/saban/~/media/Files/Centers/Saban/Iraq
%20Index/index.pdf>

The facts speak for themselves. Feel free to cherry pick!!

--
Regards,
Dann

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 6, 2008, 3:19:31 PM6/6/08
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:53:53 -0700 (PDT), Detox <deto...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Looks like the cherry picking's already been done; and in nice,
browser-crashing .pdf to boot!

Here's a coupla things easier on the eyes . . .and browsers . . .:

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR2008031303793_pf.html>

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/mar/20/surgecollapse>

All *still* ignoring the inherent wrongness of robbing 27 million
people or their freedom (among other things); either way, if all goes
well, the pull-out will be complete in two years . . .

Detox

Jun 6, 2008, 3:50:46 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 3:19 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:53:53 -0700 (PDT), Detox <detox...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >On Jun 6, 9:44 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> On 6 Jun 2008 10:51:20 GMT, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > .

> >> *snort*
>
> >>    Wow, "success of our surge operations,"; probably typed with a
> >> straight face, too!  Even Gen. Ass-kissing Chickenshit admited the
> >> "surge" can't be manintained; not to mention it's irrelevance to the
> >> recent "decline" in violence, or the overall wrongness of the
> >> situation (hint: seriously, time to pull out!) . . .
>
> ><http://www.brookings.edu/saban/~/media/Files/Centers/Saban/Iraq
> >%20Index/index.pdf>
>
> >The facts speak for themselves.  Feel free to cherry pick!!
>
>    Looks like the cherry picking's already been done; and in nice,
> browser-crashing .pdf to boot!

Apparently you aren't familiar with Brookings and their monthly status
update. It is quite encyclopedic and generally paints an honest
picture of past events.

>    Here's a coupla things easier on the eyes . . .and browsers . . .:
>

> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR200...>

Which supports my conclusions nicely. Thanks.

>   <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/mar/20/surgecollapse>

I still don't do video well. Is there a transcript available?

>    All *still* ignoring the inherent wrongness of robbing 27 million
> people or their freedom (among other things); either way, if all goes
> well, the pull-out will be complete in two years . .

Oh the irony of imagining that 27 million Iraqis were 'free' under the
rule of Saddam Hussein.

--
Regards,
Dann

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 6, 2008, 4:58:07 PM6/6/08
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Detox <deto...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 6, 3:19 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:53:53 -0700 (PDT), Detox <detox...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > .

>> ><http://www.brookings.edu/saban/~/media/Files/Centers/Saban/Iraq
>> >%20Index/index.pdf>
>>
>> >The facts speak for themselves.  Feel free to cherry pick!!
>>
>>    Looks like the cherry picking's already been done; and in nice,
>> browser-crashing .pdf to boot!
>
>Apparently you aren't familiar with Brookings and their monthly status
>update. It is quite encyclopedic and generally paints an honest
>picture of past events.

Won't change the messy reality . . .

>>    Here's a coupla things easier on the eyes . . .and browsers . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/13/AR200...>
>
>Which supports my conclusions nicely. Thanks.

Ah, rationalization; nice try though . . .

>>   <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/mar/20/surgecollapse>
>
>I still don't do video well. Is there a transcript available?

Now denial!

>>    All *still* ignoring the inherent wrongness of robbing 27 million
>> people or their freedom (among other things); either way, if all goes
>> well, the pull-out will be complete in two years . .
>
>Oh the irony of imagining that 27 million Iraqis were 'free' under the
>rule of Saddam Hussein.

No irony, just reality; Kurds had been effectively free since '95,
Shi'ites seemed on the verge, and the Sunni welcomed Saddam as one of
their own. Now, the Kurds are getting bombed by Turkey, with "their
government" just looking the other way; Shi'ites are getting impatient
with those pesky foreign soldiers that just won't leave, and downright
angry at the belligerance aimed at their brothers in Iran; and Sunnis
. . . well, let's just say they're supremely pissed off, five years
now . . .

The model was already there with Yugoslavia if it had to be done,
but nooo! Anyway, it'll all be over soon enough, with those
responsible to face the consequences . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 8, 2008, 11:17:51 PM6/8/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:58:07 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

<snip>

Gotta give points to people who had it right from the beginning . .
.:

Against Going to War with Iraq (2002)
by Barack Obama

Delivered on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 by Barack Obama, Illinois
State Senator, at the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq war rally
(organized by Chicagoans Against War in Iraq) at noon in Federal Plaza
in Chicago, Illinois; at the same day and hour that President Bush and
Congress announced their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing
the Iraq War, but over a week before it was passed by either body of
Congress.

Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that although this has been
billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not
opposed to war in all circumstances.

The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only
through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that
we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery
from our soil. I don’t oppose all wars.

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was
bombed, fought in Patton’s army. He saw the dead and dying across the
fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first
entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger
freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil,
and he did not fight in vain.

I don’t oppose all wars.

After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction,
the dust and the tears, I supported this Administration’s pledge to
hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name
of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent
such a tragedy from happening again.

I don’t oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is
no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism. What I am opposed to is a
dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is
the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other
arm-chair, weekend warriors in this Administration to shove their own
ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in
lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove
to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty
rate, a drop in the median income – to distract us from corporate
scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month
since the Great Depression.

That’s what I’m opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on
reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics.

Now let me be clear – I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He
is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to
secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions,
thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological
weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity.

He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off
without him.

But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the
United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in
shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength,
and that in concert with the international community he can be
contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into
the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US
occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with
undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a
clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan
the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than
best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm
of al-Qaeda.

I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars.

So for those of us who seek a more just and secure world for our
children, let us send a clear message to the president today. You want
a fight, President Bush? Let’s finish the fight with Bin Laden and
al-Qaeda, through effective, coordinated intelligence, and a shutting
down of the financial networks that support terrorism, and a homeland
security program that involves more than color-coded warnings.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let’s fight to make sure that the UN
inspectors can do their work, and that we vigorously enforce a
non-proliferation treaty, and that former enemies and current allies
like Russia safeguard and ultimately eliminate their stores of nuclear
material, and that nations like Pakistan and India never use the
terrible weapons already in their possession, and that the arms
merchants in our own country stop feeding the countless wars that rage
across the globe.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let’s fight to make sure our
so-called allies in the Middle East, the Saudis and the Egyptians,
stop oppressing their own people, and suppressing dissent, and
tolerating corruption and inequality, and mismanaging their economies
so that their youth grow up without education, without prospects,
without hope, the ready recruits of terrorist cells.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let’s fight to wean ourselves off
Middle East oil, through an energy policy that doesn’t simply serve
the interests of Exxon and Mobil.

Those are the battles that we need to fight. Those are the battles
that we willingly join. The battles against ignorance and intolerance,
corruption and greed, poverty and despair.

The consequences of war are dire, the sacrifices immeasurable. We may
have occasion in our lifetime to once again rise up in defense of our
freedom, and pay the wages of war. But we ought not – we will not –
travel down that hellish path blindly. Nor should we allow those who
would march off and pay the ultimate sacrifice, who would prove the
full measure of devotion with their blood, to make such an awful
sacrifice in vain.

--

- ReFlex76

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 8, 2008, 11:27:58 PM6/8/08
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:53:31 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Looks like Chris Muis is wearing blinders again, and doin' the old
>projection into his comic . . .:
>
> <http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2008/06/04/>
>
> Here's the reality check; too bad things have to be going "bad" to
>get people's attention to something they should know is wrong to begin
>with . . .:
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>
>

> Besides the necessary pullout, Obama's also said he's open to
>prosecuting members of the current administration for war crimes;
>there'd better be followthrough on that one . . .

It just keeps coming!:

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq>