Rudy Park - 7 Oct 2008

Dann

Oct 7, 2008, 7:07:24 AM10/7/08
http://www.comiczone.com/comics/rudypark/archive/rudypark-20081007.html

I've been trying really, really hard not to post political stuff during the
silly season, but this one is BS.

Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value of Alaska's earmark
requests as governor. [I'm already aware of her time as mayor, thanks just
the same.]

In contrast, the dollar value of Mr. Obama's earmarks keep going up.
Including one to his wife's employer who...and I am certain that this is
nothing but coincidence....gave Mrs. Obama a pretty big raise shortly
thereafter.

Earmarks are a problem. Of the four people running/vice-running, she has
done the most to address the problem.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Jym Dyer

Oct 7, 2008, 1:05:06 PM10/7/08
> Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value
> of Alaska's earmark requests as governor.

=v= A meaningless data pointoid, given that the state's
per-capita earmarks are still the highest in the nation.

=v= BUT HEY! Isn't it somethin' how she winks and is such an
honest, straight-talking person who isn't coached to say any
talking points, just like all us regular Joes? Be a good tool
now, and pay attention to that instead of any real issues.
<_Jym_>

--
Green Bay Steelers for Truth

Sherwood Harrington

Oct 7, 2008, 2:48:00 PM10/7/08
Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>> Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value
>> of Alaska's earmark requests as governor.

> =v= A meaningless data pointoid, given that the state's
> per-capita earmarks are still the highest in the nation.

> =v= BUT HEY! Isn't it somethin' how she winks and is such an
> honest, straight-talking person who isn't coached to say any

^^^^^^^

> talking points, just like all us regular Joes? Be a good tool

^^^^^^^

> now, and pay attention to that instead of any real issues.
> <_Jym_>

You misspelt "talkin'" twyst.

--
Sherwood Sixpack for Palin'
Boulder Creek, California

Dann

Oct 8, 2008, 7:42:09 AM10/8/08
On 07 Oct 2008, Jym Dyer said the following in

>> Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value
>> of Alaska's earmark requests as governor.
>
> =v= A meaningless data pointoid, given that the state's
> per-capita earmarks are still the highest in the nation.

Bull. If you are complaining that Alaska's per-capita earmarks are the
highest in the nation, and if she has been purposefully to reduce the
total amount of earmarked funds requested for Alaska....and she
has...then that reduction is not some meaningless data pointoid.

It is a trend line. And speaking as someone that lives in a donor state,
it is pointed in the right direction.

I'm not suggesting she be sainted. I'm joint pointing out that it is
disingenuous to create a strip that suggests that she is part of the
problem when it comes to earmarks when in fact she is part of the
solution.

rex...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2008, 2:48:25 PM10/8/08
On Oct 8, 5:42 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 07 Oct 2008, Jym Dyer said the following innews:Jym.07Oct20...@econet.org.

> >> Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value
> >> of Alaska's earmark requests as governor.
>
> > =v= A meaningless data pointoid, given that the state's
> > per-capita earmarks are still the highest in the nation.
>
> Bull.  If you are complaining that Alaska's per-capita earmarks are the
> highest in the nation, and if she has been purposefully to reduce the
> total amount of earmarked funds requested for Alaska....and she
> has...then that reduction is not some meaningless data pointoid.
>
> It is a trend line.  And speaking as someone that lives in a donor state,
> it is pointed in the right direction.
>
> I'm not suggesting she be sainted.  I'm joint pointing out that it is
> disingenuous to create a strip that suggests that she is part of the
> problem when it comes to earmarks when in fact she is part of the
> solution.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dann
>
> blogging athttp://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

> Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Yep. Of the four, she's the only one that shows any possibility of
being a reliable President.
http://baloocartoons.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/sarah-palin-cartoon-batman-robin/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 8, 2008, 3:08:52 PM10/8/08

Uhhh, no . . . just no . . .

Mike Beede

Oct 8, 2008, 11:58:12 PM10/8/08
In article <Xns9B314E7BC7E60d...@74.209.136.98>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 07 Oct 2008, Jym Dyer said the following in
>
> >> Mrs. Palin has actually cut the number and dollar value
> >> of Alaska's earmark requests as governor.
> >
> > =v= A meaningless data pointoid, given that the state's
> > per-capita earmarks are still the highest in the nation.
>
> Bull. If you are complaining that Alaska's per-capita earmarks are the
> highest in the nation, and if she has been purposefully to reduce the
> total amount of earmarked funds requested for Alaska....and she
> has...then that reduction is not some meaningless data pointoid.

Just to clarify for those of us watching at home, didn't you
say the strip was "B.S." and now you're saying that it was in
fact true?

I understand that the discussion has shifted to whether not
increasing the rate of decrease is increasingly incredible
or something like that, and that's fine. But the strip was
actually correct?

Mike Beede

Dann

Oct 9, 2008, 6:51:56 AM10/9/08
On 08 Oct 2008, Mike Beede said the following in

The BS portion is in raising the issue relative to Mrs. Palin when she
is part of the solution to the problem. The context of the strip
suggests that it is a problem that at the least she accepts as the status
quo and at the worst is one of her making.

To use a bad analogy, it would be equally incorrect to create a strip
that suggested slavery was a problem attributable to Harriet Beecher
Stowe*.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

*2 for 2! NYTimes Crossword! Yay me!!

Dann

Oct 9, 2008, 6:52:24 AM10/9/08
On 08 Oct 2008, said the following in

> Yep. Of the four, she's the only one that shows any possibility of
> being a reliable President.
> http://baloocartoons.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/sarah-palin-cartoon-batma
> n-robin/

Well done!!

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Jym Dyer

Oct 9, 2008, 1:11:36 PM10/9/08
> The BS portion is in raising the issue relative to Mrs. Palin
> when she is part of the solution to the problem.

=v= Uh-huh. Betcha think she actually said "Thanks, but
no thanks" to that Bridge to Nowhere, too. And, of course,
no doubt you give Ronald Reagan credit for the fall of the
Berlin Wall.
<_Jym_>

--
Arugula Bay Steelers for Truth

Detox

Oct 9, 2008, 2:15:38 PM10/9/08
On Oct 9, 1:11 pm, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
> > The BS portion is in raising the issue relative to Mrs. Palin
> > when she is part of the solution to the problem.
>
> =v= Uh-huh.  Betcha think she actually said "Thanks, but
> no thanks" to that Bridge to Nowhere, too.

Well there is more to that story, as I am sure you already know. She
supported it early on, but opposed it after it became representative
of earmark abuse, and she used the money that had already been
allocated for other projects in Alaska.

At the same time, she is on the record has wanting to reduce the
amount of federal money used to fund Alaska's governmental
operations. As a result, there is a bit of friction between the
governor's office and the state's congressional delegation due to the
reduction in earmark requests.

Again, as a citizen of a donor state, I think a move in the right
direction ought to be applauded rather than criticized.

> And, of course,
> no doubt you give Ronald Reagan credit for the fall of the
> Berlin Wall.

Only because I prefer my history to include the facts....and we have
Mr. Gorbachev on the record as indicating that Mr. Reagan's policies
were a significant influence resulting in the fall of the Soviet
empire.

--
Regards,
Dann

Mike Beede

Oct 9, 2008, 10:05:00 PM10/9/08
In article <Xns9B3245F8B31CFd...@74.209.136.98>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To use a bad analogy, it would be equally incorrect to create a strip
> that suggested slavery was a problem attributable to Harriet Beecher
> Stowe*.

I didn't know she (HBS) owned slaves. Or is that what makes it a bad
analogy?

Mike Beede

Darrin Bell

Oct 9, 2008, 10:28:31 PM10/9/08
On Oct 9, 7:05 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <Xns9B3245F8B31CFdetox665hotmail...@74.209.136.98>,

>  Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > To use a bad analogy, it would be equally incorrect to create a strip
> > that suggested slavery was a problem attributable to Harriet Beecher
> > Stowe*.
>
> I didn't know she (HBS) owned slaves.  Or is that what makes it a bad
> analogy?
>
>    Mike Beede

I think you've forgotten about the time when Abraham Lincoln chose
Harriet Beecher Stowe as his running mate just a couple years after
she had inherited a plantation with 1,270 slaves. The liberal rag
Harper's Weekly labeled Stowe a hypocrite because, while her
plantation had the largest population of slaves per square foot of any
plantation in the nation, Stowe based her campaign on the abolition of
slavery. Harpers, however, was full of sh?t, because they neglected to
mention that Stowe had freed over 200 of the slaves (keeping only
enough as was needed to properly run the plantation). It was obviously
a trend-line. Surely she would have liberated the other 1000+ at some
undetermined point in the future. Can't believe you forgot all that.

Mike Beede

Oct 10, 2008, 12:18:22 AM10/10/08
In article
<677e4cf4-ddf3-4891...@u29g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Darrin Bell <cando...@gmail.com> wrote:

When you get to be my age, you forget the first few elections you got
to vote in. I really have no recollection of that at all. Thanks
for the reminder--it *was* a pretty good analogy after all.

Mike Beede