PvP starting 28 July 2008

Dann

Jul 30, 2008, 7:02:47 AM7/30/08
http://www.pvponline.com/2008/07/28/family-troll-part-one/

Scott Kurtz has decided to take a potshot or four at Bil Keane's 'Family
Circus'. He has Skull visiting the kids.

Scott's take on FC is a bit surprising to me as I never perceived the strip
as being quite so doctrinaire with respect to religion.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

George Peatty

Jul 30, 2008, 10:43:09 PM7/30/08
On 30 Jul 2008 11:02:47 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Scott's take on FC is a bit surprising to me as I never perceived the strip
>as being quite so doctrinaire with respect to religion.

Doctrinaire, no. Assured, yes. The Keanes of the strip are Christians, and
there is no doubt or ambivalence in their minds on the subject. That comes
across as something else to those who do not share their convictions ..

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2008, 1:33:50 AM7/31/08

Someone wanna break the news to Peatbog that the Keanes are not
just devout Christians, but devout *Catholics*? (he killfiled me for
daring to tell the truth about Thomas Jefferson's religion, and lack
therof) . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Dann

Jul 31, 2008, 8:02:39 AM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:43:09 -0400, George Peatty
> <peattyg...@copper.net> wrote:
>
>>On 30 Jul 2008 11:02:47 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Scott's take on FC is a bit surprising to me as I never perceived the
>>>strip as being quite so doctrinaire with respect to religion.
>>
>>Doctrinaire, no. Assured, yes. The Keanes of the strip are
>>Christians, and there is no doubt or ambivalence in their minds on the
>>subject. That comes across as something else to those who do not
>>share their convictions ..
>
> Someone wanna break the news to Peatbog that the Keanes are not
> just devout Christians, but devout *Catholics*? (he killfiled me for
> daring to tell the truth about Thomas Jefferson's religion, and lack
> therof) . . .

Naw...but I'll help you do it.

axlq

Jul 31, 2008, 1:03:41 PM7/31/08
In article <Xns9AEB47AF1B4F8d...@64.209.0.81>,

Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>http://www.pvponline.com/2008/07/28/family-troll-part-one/
>
>Scott Kurtz has decided to take a potshot or four at Bil Keane's 'Family
>Circus'. He has Skull visiting the kids.
>
>Scott's take on FC is a bit surprising to me as I never perceived the strip
>as being quite so doctrinaire with respect to religion.

Read on further, where it crosses over into Fox Trot, in which Jason
rescues Skull from the Keanes.

-A

Dann

Jul 31, 2008, 9:34:19 PM7/31/08
On 31 Jul 2008, axlq said the following in

http://www.pvponline.com/2008/07/31/family-troll-part-four/

Yup. I was just waiting to get home to post something about it. You'll
never see Billy moving around like that!!

George Peatty

Aug 1, 2008, 9:29:08 AM8/1/08
In article <0ij294dt2jr0a8nse...@4ax.com>, Antonio E. Gonzalez
says...

> Someone wanna break the news to Peatbog that the Keanes are not
>just devout Christians, but devout *Catholics*? (he killfiled me for
>daring to tell the truth about Thomas Jefferson's religion, and lack
>therof) . . .

I killfiled you because you're a dick ..

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dick_1?view=uk

cryptoguy

Aug 1, 2008, 12:06:40 PM8/1/08
On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, George Peatty <peattyg47-1...@copper.net> wrote:

Does being a 'Christian' excuse initiating a violent attack against
a person who does not present a threat? I don't think the duct
tape and 'exorscissors' are intended as objects of meditation.

Peter Trei

Paul Fitzpatrick

Aug 1, 2008, 1:59:55 PM8/1/08
On Jul 30, 10:43 pm, George Peatty <peattyg47-1...@copper.net> wrote:
> Doctrinaire, no.  Assured, yes.  The Keanes of the strip are Christians, and
> there is no doubt or ambivalence in their minds on the subject.  That comes
> across as something else to those who do not share their convictions ..

Not everyone of other religions is offended by this. Fictional
characters do not have to be homogenized so as to not "offend"
anyone. It was fairly obvious that the Peanuts characters were
Christians; some of them were little theologians. And remember "A
Charlie Brown Christmas"? It was also obvious that the characters on
"The Andy Griffith Show" and "Little House on the Prairie" on TV went
to church. I would imagine there were Jewish viewers among their
audience.

Detox

Aug 1, 2008, 4:45:17 PM8/1/08

I'm guessing no, but then again I didn't know that the FC folks
attended a church that was the Catholic equivalent of the place run by
Fred Phelps. Scott Kurtz is satirizing elements of the original strip
that are apparently evident only in the strips that are delivered to
Mr. Kurtz's end of the wire, IMO.

'Cause I don't recall any FC strips focusing on exorcism, anti-
homosexuality, or any of the other issues that Mr. Kurtz is dragging
into play.

But I could be wrong.

--
Regards,
Dann

George Peatty

Aug 1, 2008, 5:34:40 PM8/1/08
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:59:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul Fitzpatrick
<comed...@netzero.com> wrote:

>Not everyone of other religions is offended by this. Fictional
>characters do not have to be homogenized so as to not "offend"
>anyone. It was fairly obvious that the Peanuts characters were
>Christians; some of them were little theologians. And remember "A
>Charlie Brown Christmas"? It was also obvious that the characters on
>"The Andy Griffith Show" and "Little House on the Prairie" on TV went
>to church. I would imagine there were Jewish viewers among their
>audience.

I never thought of the Peanuts characters as Christians, or "little
theologians." They were certainly good little philosophers, though ..

Rob Wynne

Aug 1, 2008, 9:50:37 PM8/1/08

Er....never really paid much attention to Linus, did you? :)

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of "The Gospel According to Peanuts".
Very good read.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 2, 2008, 2:19:13 AM8/2/08
On 1 Aug 2008 06:29:08 -0700, George Peatty <pttyg4...@copper.net>
wrote:

Wow, Oxford definition! I'm honored!

Oh, and I have a feeling these posts had more to do with it . . .:

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/5a4qev>

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/5ezms3>