Get Fuzzy 9-12-08

Len-L

Sep 12, 2008, 12:11:57 PM9/12/08

Bobcat

Sep 12, 2008, 12:47:07 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 12:11 pm, Len-L <l...@davlin.net> wrote:
> Best comment to date on the VP selection:
> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/9/12&name=Fuzzy

One blogger is on the same wavelength as Bucky. He has a comment
titled "Forget Sarah Palin! Choose Michael for President!" He says:
"We think McCain missed his big opportunity here. We believe that Big
John chose the wrong Palin. He should have picked Michael Palin!"

http://dylanfreak.wordpress.com/category/monty-python-complete/

Rob Wynne

Sep 12, 2008, 1:10:23 PM9/12/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1y9s73Nos

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 12, 2008, 1:16:03 PM9/12/08
In article <02a5f8c4-553c-47fe...@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,

Forget the bottom half of the ticket!

www.themoderndaypirates.com/pirates/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/mcclane.jpg

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 12, 2008, 3:02:07 PM9/12/08

I would have preferred Cleese. Just imagine Basil Fawlty presiding
over a Senate fillibuster!

ronniecat

Sep 12, 2008, 9:08:09 PM9/12/08
Len-L <l...@davlin.net> wrote in news:335lc4pmm12dm9mln379bju63aia1v34oi@
4ax.com:

> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/9/12&name=Fuzzy

I just want to note that "Roof-dog Romney" made me do a spit-take all over
my new laptop. I don't think my service plan covers this. Somebody owes me
something.

ronnie

PS The spit-take was beer, not soda or milk. Does that matter?

PPS electrical sparkly things are coming out of the keyboard. Should I turn
it off?

PPP-

John Reiher

Sep 12, 2008, 10:43:55 PM9/12/08
In article <Xns9B17E115AC573...@66.250.146.207>,
ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> wrote:

Naw, they're purty! Congrats Ronniecat, you're now a redneck initiate.
Next time when you read the comics, make sure to tell your hubby, "Hold
my beer and watch this..."

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 13, 2008, 3:48:28 PM9/13/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:11:57 -0500, Len-L <l...@davlin.net> wrote:

I like the rare sighting of Bucky with his ears up . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Mike Marshall

Sep 15, 2008, 9:30:41 AM9/15/08
ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> writes:
>I just want to note that "Roof-dog Romney" made me do a spit-take all over
>my new laptop. I don't think my service plan covers this. Somebody owes me
>something.

My wife did this when we were students. Just take the keyboard to the
computer lab in the engineering building and swap it out with one of those...

-Mike <g>...

axlq

Sep 15, 2008, 5:04:47 PM9/15/08
>On Sep 12, 12:11 pm, Len-L <l...@davlin.net> wrote:
>> Best comment to date on the VP selection:
>> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/9/12&name=Fuzzy
>
>One blogger is on the same wavelength as Bucky. He has a comment
>titled "Forget Sarah Palin! Choose Michael for President!" He says:
>"We think McCain missed his big opportunity here. We believe that Big
>John chose the wrong Palin. He should have picked Michael Palin!"

Yeah, well, I laughed too. But the VP must meet the qualifications
to be president, and unfortunately both Cleese and Palin fail the
"born in the USA" test. It *would* be cool to hear them speak when
the Senate is in session....

-A

axlq

Sep 15, 2008, 5:06:33 PM9/15/08
In article <b76oc4phk2qilds0p...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:11:57 -0500, Len-L <l...@davlin.net> wrote:
>
>>Best comment to date on the VP selection:
>>
>>http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/9/12&name=Fuzzy
>
> I like the rare sighting of Bucky with his ears up . . .

I thought I'd never see it happen. I don't recall Bucky's ears up
ever before.

This must be even rarer than those every-three-years glimpses of
Cathy's nose.

-A

ronniecat

Sep 15, 2008, 7:29:50 PM9/15/08
Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote in

(Plaintively) But I don't know how to get the keyboard out of the laptop...
Should I try a protractor?

ronnie

--
Address altered to avoid spam; remove mycollar to reply
http://www.hearingloss.blogspot.com

Mike Marshall

Sep 16, 2008, 10:04:50 AM9/16/08
ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> writes:
>(Plaintively) But I don't know how to get the keyboard out of the laptop...
>Should I try a protractor?

... slide rule...

-Mike

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 16, 2008, 11:30:00 AM9/16/08
ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> writes:

> Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote in
>
>> ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> writes:
>>>I just want to note that "Roof-dog Romney" made me do a spit-take
>>>all over my new laptop. I don't think my service plan covers this.
>>>Somebody owes me something.
>>
>> My wife did this when we were students. Just take the keyboard to
>> the computer lab in the engineering building and swap it out with
>> one of those...
>

> (Plaintively) But I don't know how to get the keyboard out of the
> laptop... Should I try a protractor?

A few laptops ago, my "x" key stopped working most of the time. (Just
try using Emacs without it.) I called our IT department, and they
sent somebody over. (Ah, those were the days.) He flipped the laptop
over, removed one screw, flipped it back, slid a few tabs I had never
noticed on the top row of the keyboard, and the whole keyboard popped
out. He disconnected the ribbon cable, pulled a new keyboard out of
his case, reversed the process, and I was good as new. Until then, it
hadn't dawned on me that laptop keyboards were replaceable units.

(Since then, I got quite good at popping the keyboards myself, as most
models I've used hide the memory underneath them.)

Not, of course, that I would recommend that anybody use this knowledge
to swap with a non-consenting laptop that just happened to have a
cleaner keyboard ...

HP Laboratories |Marge: You liked Rashomon.
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |Homer: That's not how *I* remember
Palo Alto, CA 94304 | it.

kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Rob Wynne

Sep 16, 2008, 11:42:54 AM9/16/08

A friend of mine and I once field-stripped a Mac Wallstreet Powerbook to
replace the PCMCIA cage, which had a broken spring causing it not to
properly latch the cards in place. Since the cage was secured by four
screws on the *bottom* of the mainboard, this required essentially
disassembling the entire unit and then putting it back together again.

That was FUN!

Paul L. Madarasz

Sep 16, 2008, 4:42:56 PM9/16/08
On 15 Sep 2008 23:29:50 GMT, ronniecat
<ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> wrote, perhaps among other things:

>Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote in
>
>> ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> writes:
>>>I just want to note that "Roof-dog Romney" made me do a spit-take all
>>>over my new laptop. I don't think my service plan covers this.
>>>Somebody owes me something.
>>
>> My wife did this when we were students. Just take the keyboard to the
>> computer lab in the engineering building and swap it out with one of
>> those...
>>
>> -Mike <g>...
>
>(Plaintively) But I don't know how to get the keyboard out of the laptop...
>Should I try a protractor?
>
>ronnie

Protractors are so Euclidian; everybody's using micrometers this year.
--

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

Dann

Sep 17, 2008, 12:17:29 PM9/17/08
On 16 Sep 2008, Rob Wynne said the following in news:2uQzk.119$MX3.109
@eagle.america.net.

> A friend of mine and I once field-stripped a Mac Wallstreet Powerbook to
> replace the PCMCIA cage, which had a broken spring causing it not to
> properly latch the cards in place. Since the cage was secured by four
> screws on the *bottom* of the mainboard, this required essentially
> disassembling the entire unit and then putting it back together again.

Further evidence to support my opinion that every engineer should spend
time as a technician fixing someone else's boneheaded ideas before having
the opportunity to foist their own ideas on unsuspecting customers.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Brian Huntley

Sep 17, 2008, 3:31:13 PM9/17/08
On Sep 17, 12:17 pm, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2008, Rob Wynne said the following in news:2uQzk.119$MX3.109
> @eagle.america.net.
>
> > A friend of mine and I once field-stripped a Mac Wallstreet Powerbook to
> > replace the PCMCIA cage, which had a broken spring causing it not to
> > properly latch the cards in place.  Since the cage was secured by four
> > screws on the *bottom* of the mainboard, this required essentially
> > disassembling the entire unit and then putting it back together again.
>
> Further evidence to support my opinion that every engineer should spend
> time as a technician fixing someone else's boneheaded ideas before having
> the opportunity to foist their own ideas on unsuspecting customers.

Very few people service their own laptops, it seems, so that's not too
overbearing a design. Not like my '80 Chevy Citation with the spark
plugs that couldn't be accessed without dropping a motor mount.

The opposite might be the late unlamted IBM PS/2 machines. They were
built (as were early RS-6000s and other IBMware of the time) with all
sorts of bright blue plastic handles and thumbscrews and such inside.
The theory was you should only touch the blue parts.

What a waste of space and blue dye that was.

(And the 'no tools required' mindset that translated into 'no tools
available so you'll have to improvise' didn't help.)

Mark Jackson

Sep 17, 2008, 6:05:08 PM9/17/08
Dann wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2008, Rob Wynne said the following in news:2uQzk.119$MX3.109
> @eagle.america.net.
>
>> A friend of mine and I once field-stripped a Mac Wallstreet Powerbook to
>> replace the PCMCIA cage, which had a broken spring causing it not to
>> properly latch the cards in place. Since the cage was secured by four
>> screws on the *bottom* of the mainboard, this required essentially
>> disassembling the entire unit and then putting it back together again.
>>

> Further evidence to support my opinion that every engineer should spend
> time as a technician fixing someone else's boneheaded ideas before having
> the opportunity to foist their own ideas on unsuspecting customers.

The engineers are often not the source of the problem. Design for
serviceability is a feature; if it's not enforced as one of the product
goals - as it often, but not always, ought to be - it will be optimized
away to accommodate something that is.

The capacity to wreak destruction with your models
provides the ultimate respectability.
- Emanuel Derman

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 17, 2008, 6:18:58 PM9/17/08
In article <6jdd8lF...@mid.individual.net>,

I have more tolerance for that in small things like laptops where you *must*
be clever, and much less tolerance in larger enclosures.

About the best I've seen so far were some Dell desk-sides a few years ago.
They opened like clamshells with *no* screws and all the drives were on
rails that just slid right out. It seems anything else I go fooling around
inside I'm going to skin my knuckles at some point.

Dann

Sep 17, 2008, 7:20:38 PM9/17/08
On 17 Sep 2008, Mark Jackson said the following in

> Dann wrote:
>> On 16 Sep 2008, Rob Wynne said the following in
>> news:2uQzk.119$MX3.109 @eagle.america.net.
>>
>>> A friend of mine and I once field-stripped a Mac Wallstreet
>>> Powerbook to replace the PCMCIA cage, which had a broken spring
>>> causing it not to properly latch the cards in place. Since the cage
>>> was secured by four screws on the *bottom* of the mainboard, this
>>> required essentially disassembling the entire unit and then putting
>>> it back together again.
>>>

>> Further evidence to support my opinion that every engineer should
>> spend time as a technician fixing someone else's boneheaded ideas
>> before having the opportunity to foist their own ideas on
>> unsuspecting customers.
>
> The engineers are often not the source of the problem. Design for
> serviceability is a feature; if it's not enforced as one of the
> product goals - as it often, but not always, ought to be - it will be
> optimized away to accommodate something that is.

I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where there
is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the engineer couldn't
imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced. And in a couple of
examples, it is obvious that no one took the time to disassemble and
reassemble the unit to see what was practically required instead of what
was theoretically required.

aemeijers

Sep 17, 2008, 7:36:52 PM9/17/08
Preachin' to the choir here, Dann. Lack of field serviceability has been
a pet peeve of mine for decades, from power tools to appliances to
computers to cars to what have you. They seem to pay a LITTLE attention
to it on industrial equipment and big trucks, because bean counters make
those purchase decisions, and they have long memories. But the rest of
us are pretty much SOL.

I've heard the rationale- they design stuff to be easily or roboticly
assembled, and to reuse as many 'parts bin' preexisting components as
possible. I don't care. Piss me off, and I will take my business
elsewhere, next time.

--
aem sends...

Joy Beeson

Sep 17, 2008, 8:55:25 PM9/17/08
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:36:52 GMT, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:

> Piss me off, and I will take my business
> elsewhere, next time.

But there *is* no elsewhere that's any different.

I do without a lot.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Carl Fink

Sep 17, 2008, 10:21:15 PM9/17/08
On 2008-09-17, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where there
> is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the engineer couldn't
> imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced. And in a couple of
> examples, it is obvious that no one took the time to disassemble and
> reassemble the unit to see what was practically required instead of what
> was theoretically required.

A few jobs ago, my company moved me into a brand-new renovated building.

The architect lit the main hallway dramatically with special halogen lights
in a ceiling 15 meters from the floor.

Placed over the staircase, so no ladder could reach them. Whenever one
burned out, our maintenance guys had to bring fork lift with a cage in.

The architect visited later, and out guys pointed this out to him. His
answer, quote: "Huh? Really?"
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

aemeijers

Sep 17, 2008, 11:07:13 PM9/17/08
Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2008-09-17, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where there
>> is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the engineer couldn't
>> imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced. And in a couple of
>> examples, it is obvious that no one took the time to disassemble and
>> reassemble the unit to see what was practically required instead of what
>> was theoretically required.
>
> A few jobs ago, my company moved me into a brand-new renovated building.
>
> The architect lit the main hallway dramatically with special halogen lights
> in a ceiling 15 meters from the floor.
>
> Placed over the staircase, so no ladder could reach them. Whenever one
> burned out, our maintenance guys had to bring fork lift with a cage in.
>
> The architect visited later, and out guys pointed this out to him. His
> answer, quote: "Huh? Really?"

My father designs houses. A decade or two back, everyone wanted
show-off entry halls two stories tall. (This was back before heating
costs spiked.) He had to explain to all of them exactly why that fancy
hanging light fixture would be a major PITA, but many insisted on it
anyway. His work-around was upward-aiming sconces on the wall, bouncing
off the ceiling.

--
aem sends...

Mike Beede

Sep 17, 2008, 11:41:19 PM9/17/08
In article <Xns9B1CC4DD23D4Cd...@74.209.136.100>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where there
> is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the engineer couldn't
> imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced. And in a couple of
> examples, it is obvious that no one took the time to disassemble and
> reassemble the unit to see what was practically required instead of what
> was theoretically required.

Just to bang on Apple a little more, our late unlamented eMac
had a bad drive. "No problem," sez I. "I'll just replace it
like I did in two of our iMacs."

Wrong.

You have to REMOVE THE MOTHERBOARD, DISCHARGE THE PICTURE
TUBE, ETC. ETC. ET-F-ING-CETERA.

What a bunch of steaming wankers those Apple hardware engineers
must have been on that project. This was the unit designed for
education, so let's make it expensive to service because we
know schools have lots of money!

Luckily the real Apple engineers made it easy to run off
an external drive, so that's what we did for a couple years.

Mike Beede

Dann

Sep 18, 2008, 7:10:23 AM9/18/08
On 17 Sep 2008, Carl Fink said the following in

> On 2008-09-17, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where
>> there is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the
>> engineer couldn't imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced.
>> And in a couple of examples, it is obvious that no one took the time
>> to disassemble and reassemble the unit to see what was practically
>> required instead of what was theoretically required.
>
> A few jobs ago, my company moved me into a brand-new renovated
> building.

I've got a couple of DoD based stories that are cringe worthy.

But the most recent snafu was replacing the fuse on my dad's hood over
the stove. You had to remove four large pieces....essentially gutting
the damned thing....to expose the circuit board where the fuse was
located.

Mike Marshall

Sep 18, 2008, 10:28:10 AM9/18/08
aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> writes:
>Preachin' to the choir here, Dann. Lack of field serviceability has been
>a pet peeve of mine for decades, from power tools to appliances to
>computers to cars to what have you.

You need a Valkyrie....

-Mike http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~hubcap/manual.jpg

Mark Jackson

Sep 18, 2008, 7:42:42 PM9/18/08
Dann wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2008, Carl Fink said the following in
>
>> On 2008-09-17, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can see that.....however, IME, there are too many occasions where
>>> there is no obvious trade-off leaving the perception that the
>>> engineer couldn't imagine an item ever need to be repaired/replaced.
>>> And in a couple of examples, it is obvious that no one took the time
>>> to disassemble and reassemble the unit to see what was practically
>>> required instead of what was theoretically required.
>> A few jobs ago, my company moved me into a brand-new renovated
>> building.
>>

> I've got a couple of DoD based stories that are cringe worthy.

I'll bet they're not as bad as the one about how Groves screwed up
building the Quadrangle.

aemeijers

Sep 18, 2008, 11:07:59 PM9/18/08
Mark Jackson wrote:
> Dann wrote:
>> On 17 Sep 2008, Carl Fink said the following in

>>> A few jobs ago, my company moved me into a brand-new renovated
>>> building.
>>
>> I've got a couple of DoD based stories that are cringe worthy.
>
> I'll bet they're not as bad as the one about how Groves screwed up
> building the Quadrangle.

Okay, you've piqued my curiosity. Who is Groves, and what Quadrangle?
Google was no help.

--
aem sends...

Mark Jackson

Sep 18, 2008, 11:15:52 PM9/18/08

aemeijers

Sep 18, 2008, 11:44:48 PM9/18/08
Mark Jackson wrote:
> aemeijers wrote:
>> Mark Jackson wrote:

>>> I'll bet they're not as bad as the one about how Groves screwed up
>>> building the Quadrangle.
>
>> Okay, you've piqued my curiosity. Who is Groves, and what Quadrangle?
>> Google was no help.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Groves

Oh, THAT Groves. The Quadrangle<-> Pentagon thing flew right over me-
I'm not much on geometry jokes.

--
aem sends...