Candorville (6-6)

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 6, 2008, 5:16:31 PM6/6/08
Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:

<http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Joseph Nebus

Jun 7, 2008, 2:26:49 PM6/7/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
>Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
>"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:

><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html>

Yeah. Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
longrunning emotional balances. (I'm more interested in Candorville
and how this works out.)

--
Joseph Nebus

Carl Fink

Jun 7, 2008, 2:55:12 PM6/7/08
On 2008-06-07, Joseph Nebus <nebusj-@-rpi-.edu> wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>
>> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
>>Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
>>"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:
>
>><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html>
>
> Yeah. Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
> breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
> longrunning emotional balances. (I'm more interested in Candorville
> and how this works out.)

The difference is, Candorville is presenting good reasons for both non-idiot
characters to refused to admit what they both know.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

D. D. Degg

Jun 7, 2008, 11:32:29 PM6/7/08
Carl Fink wrote:
> Joseph Nebus wrote:

> > Antonio E. Gonzalez writes:
> >> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted.
http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html

> > (I'm more interested in Candorville and how this works out.)
> The difference is, Candorville is presenting good reasons for both non-idiot
> characters to refused to admit what they both know.

The arc starting with the hilarious Monday gag strip through
the Saturday denouement of revealed passions has wittily
been titled "Balance Transfers" by Darrin.
http://candorville.com/2008/06/07/bfphil/

D.D.Degg

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 8, 2008, 4:31:30 AM6/8/08
On 7 Jun 2008 14:26:49 -0400, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>
>> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
>>Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
>>"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:
>
>><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html>
>
> Yeah. Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
>breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
>longrunning emotional balances. (I'm more interested in Candorville
>and how this works out.)

Not all cartoonists, looks like Brad and Toni are ready to do the
deed over at Luann! Then there's Francis and Marcy freshly
devirginized over at PvP . . .

Dann

Jun 8, 2008, 11:14:13 AM6/8/08
On 08 Jun 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

> On 7 Jun 2008 14:26:49 -0400, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>
>>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>>
>>> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
>>>Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
>>>"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:
>>
>>><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.h
>>>tml>
>>
>> Yeah. Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
>>breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
>>longrunning emotional balances. (I'm more interested in Candorville
>>and how this works out.)
>
> Not all cartoonists, looks like Brad and Toni are ready to do the
> deed over at Luann! Then there's Francis and Marcy freshly
> devirginized over at PvP . . .

Is there a particular reason for this....ummm.....focus on comic strip
characters "doing the deed"?

Given that few....if any....of the strips discussed in RACS involve
characters drawn in the act, there won't be anything to see if any of the
above characters actually do go down that road.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Paul Ciszek

Jun 8, 2008, 12:17:42 PM6/8/08

In article <a36n44h51ugul63n9...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>On 7 Jun 2008 14:26:49 -0400, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:
>
>>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>>
>>> Looks like this little issue may finally be confronted. Now, if
>>>Darrin follows through, to see if Candorville survives the
>>>"Dave-and-Maddie Effect"!:
>>
>>><http://www.comics.com/wash/candorville/archive/candorville-20080606.html>
>>
>> Yeah. Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
>>breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
>>longrunning emotional balances. (I'm more interested in Candorville
>>and how this works out.)
>
> Not all cartoonists, looks like Brad and Toni are ready to do the
>deed over at Luann! Then there's Francis and Marcy freshly
>devirginized over at PvP . . .

What is PvP? I just looked through the lists at comics.com, gocomics.com,
the Seattle PI and the Houston Chron, and I don't see anything beginning
with P that would be abreviated that way.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Ted Goldblatt

Jun 8, 2008, 1:28:18 PM6/8/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:

> What is PvP? I just looked through the lists at comics.com, gocomics.com,
> the Seattle PI and the Houston Chron, and I don't see anything beginning
> with P that would be abreviated that way.

Player vs Player, at http://www.pvponline.com

Jim Strain

Jun 8, 2008, 4:24:30 PM6/8/08
On Jun 8, 8:14 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 08 Jun 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following innews:a36n44h51ugul63n9...@4ax.com.

> >>     Yeah.  Between this and the 9 Chickweed Lane breakup over not
> >>breaking up it's like late spring has inspired cartoonists to disrupt
> >>longrunning emotional balances.  (I'm more interested in Candorville
> >>and how this works out.)
>
> >     Not all cartoonists, looks like Brad and Toni are ready to do the
> > deed over at Luann!  Then there's Francis and Marcy freshly
> > devirginized over at PvP . . .
>
> Is there a particular reason for this....ummm.....focus on comic strip
> characters "doing the deed"?
>
> Given that few....if any....of the strips discussed in RACS involve
> characters drawn in the act, there won't be anything to see if any of the
> above characters actually do go down that road.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dann

I see you've forgotten the famous Dilbert uncurled-tie incident.
. . . jim strain in san diego.

aemeijers

Jun 8, 2008, 4:59:19 PM6/8/08

I gave the strip a shot, but just couldn't get into it. I know lots of
strips define their characters in terms of the esoteric little worlds
they live in (Tank M.-> sports, 9CL-> the artiste community,
Questinonable Content-> the hipper than thou new wave community, etc.),
but the gaming community just seems so utterly pointless and
self-absorbed. An extended power blackout, and these people would be
catatonic. At least the other cited made-up worlds involve actual human
interaction.

He says, wasting yet another hour on Usenet....

--
aem sends....

Dann

Jun 8, 2008, 9:45:57 PM6/8/08
On 08 Jun 2008, aemeijers said the following in

You might try it again. I can't recall a recent arc that focused on
gaming....electronic or otherwise. Unless you count the time they played
paintball as a team-building exercise.

> He says, wasting yet another hour on Usenet....

Wasting....wasting!?....wasting!!!!

Them's fightin' words!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 9, 2008, 8:36:03 PM6/9/08

Though a flashback, there's also Rikk and Rumi working towards
their first time in "Fans!" in another step towards solidifying the
Rikk-Allisyn-Rumi thing ("threesome" doesn't seem intimate enough to
describe them); here she "feels out the wood" after a night of
spooning!:

<http://www.faans.com/index.php?p=1687>

Mike Beede

Jun 9, 2008, 9:24:14 PM6/9/08
In article <HKX2k.29466$102....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:

> I gave the strip a shot, but just couldn't get into it. I know lots of
> strips define their characters in terms of the esoteric little worlds
> they live in (Tank M.-> sports, 9CL-> the artiste community,
> Questinonable Content-> the hipper than thou new wave community, etc.),
> but the gaming community just seems so utterly pointless and
> self-absorbed. An extended power blackout, and these people would be
> catatonic. At least the other cited made-up worlds involve actual human
> interaction.

I will overlook the gag potential inherent in the subject and
instead ask what the smallest, most obscure niche that there's
a comic that's commonly available regarding.

I'd rewrite that sentence, but it's kind of a masterpiece of
awkwardness that I'm a little proud of. Sort of a "fart the
elevator" sentence.

Further, the group the comic is ostensibly about can't be
fictional.

I'll start with one that's easy to top: Sally Forth is about
aging baby boomers with kids (group size must be in the tens
of millions).

Mike Beede

racs...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2008, 10:06:47 PM6/9/08
On Jun 9, 9:24 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <HKX2k.29466$102.24...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Retail depicts people who work in retail. Oh, wait, that's 100s of
millions, if you count the ones who quit ...

Get Fuzzy is about an advertising guy who never leaves his apartment
except to work or run errands. That's a very small group, I suspect,
since most ad people I have known live in trendy bars and at
ballparks, marinas and golf courses, and only go home to change
clothes. Or maybe that breaks the "fictional" rule, as would born-
again Christian cavemen.

Arlo and Janis depicts a couple that is still sexually active after 20
years of marriage ... wow, this parsing between niche demographics and
totally fictional characters is HARD!

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mark Jackson

Jun 9, 2008, 10:27:12 PM6/9/08
Mike Beede wrote:

> I will overlook the gag potential inherent in the subject and instead
> ask what the smallest, most obscure niche that there's a comic that's
> commonly available regarding.
>
> I'd rewrite that sentence, but it's kind of a masterpiece of
> awkwardness that I'm a little proud of. Sort of a "fart the
> elevator" sentence.
>
> Further, the group the comic is ostensibly about can't be fictional.
>
> I'll start with one that's easy to top: Sally Forth is about aging
> baby boomers with kids (group size must be in the tens of millions).

The Knight Life is about syndicated African American cartoonists with
Swedish wives.

Men become civilized, not in proportion to their
willingness to believe, but in proportion to their
readiness to doubt. - H. L. Mencken

Carl Fink

Jun 9, 2008, 11:39:24 PM6/9/08
On 2008-06-10, Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

> The Knight Life is about syndicated African American cartoonists with
> Swedish wives.

Kevin and Kell is about an extended family of anthropomorphic rabbits,
wolves, foxes, hedgehogs and bats.

Mike Beede

Jun 9, 2008, 11:53:23 PM6/9/08
In article <484de67f$0$5709$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

> The Knight Life is about syndicated African American cartoonists with
> Swedish wives.

That's probably a winner. Perhaps we should eliminate
cartoons that are about the cartoonist, since that's
likely to be a population of one (or a few if we count
the rest of the household).

Mike Beede

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 10, 2008, 10:32:09 PM6/10/08
In article
<1bdd2ade-e73b-4f57...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
"pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Get Fuzzy is about an advertising guy who never leaves his apartment
> except to work or run errands. That's a very small group, I suspect,
> since most ad people I have known live in trendy bars and at
> ballparks, marinas and golf courses, and only go home to change
> clothes.

Hey, I work in advertising (but not the cool kind of advertising), and
sometimes it feels like I never leave my apartment except to work or run
errands.

"Get Fuzzy" is pretty much the story of my life, except I don't have a
dog, and my cat is a little more easygoing...and can't talk.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Paul Ciszek

Jun 21, 2008, 1:57:07 PM6/21/08

In article <atir44t16rco72vk2...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Though a flashback, there's also Rikk and Rumi working towards
>their first time in "Fans!" in another step towards solidifying the
>Rikk-Allisyn-Rumi thing ("threesome" doesn't seem intimate enough to
>describe them); here she "feels out the wood" after a night of
>spooning!:
>
> <http://www.faans.com/index.php?p=1687>

Where in the archive are they introduced? The early comics seem to
bear no resemblance to the current arc.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 22, 2008, 7:59:06 PM6/22/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:57:07 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <atir44t16rco72vk2...@4ax.com>,
>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> Though a flashback, there's also Rikk and Rumi working towards
>>their first time in "Fans!" in another step towards solidifying the
>>Rikk-Allisyn-Rumi thing ("threesome" doesn't seem intimate enough to
>>describe them); here she "feels out the wood" after a night of
>>spooning!:
>>
>> <http://www.faans.com/index.php?p=1687>
>
>Where in the archive are they introduced?

Who? Rumi was there from the start, and Allisyn was introduced
(fully, a brief glimpse in the first storyline) in The Most Dangerous
Game, both in Book 1.

The early comics seem to
>bear no resemblance to the current arc.

No kidding . . .

Anyway, this all happens immediately after the main events in "The
Ways the World Ends," Book 5 . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot

cryptoguy

Jun 23, 2008, 10:58:23 AM6/23/08
On Jun 9, 9:24 pm, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> In article <HKX2k.29466$102.24...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Secret Asian Man is about mixed Asian - White couples.
I suspect that group is in the high 10^5 to low 10^6.

There are plenty of obscure groups with webcomics,
though the gaming / fandom community seems to
have a disproportionate number.

Plywood is about Second Life, for example.

pt