FBOFW: What did your newspaper do?

Nick Theodorakis

Sep 1, 2008, 10:57:32 AM9/1/08
Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
it with Lio.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

Paige

Sep 1, 2008, 11:03:30 AM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 7:57 am, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis
> nick_theodora...@hotmail.com
> contact form:http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

The Wyoming Tribune-Eagle is showing the reruns. Sigh. Wish they'd
replace the strip with "A Doctor, a Lawyer and a Cop."

Paige

nickelshrink

Sep 1, 2008, 11:29:01 AM9/1/08

Myrtle Beach Sun News ran the first "new-run"
this morning.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

D. D. Degg

Sep 1, 2008, 11:45:09 AM9/1/08
nickelshrink wrote:
> Myrtle Beach Sun News ran the first "new-run"
> this morning.

Curious if your, or anybody's, copy of the strip
included a right eye for Elly in panel three?

Struck me as really strange not to draw her eye there.

D.D.Degg

Ted Goldblatt

Sep 1, 2008, 11:46:54 AM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

The Miami Herald (once a pretty decent paper overall, and tolerable in
the comic selections) said nothing about it all week. Today, they ran
the Washington Post story and interview with Lynn, and (of course) are
running the reruns (though without an actual comment to that effect).
Time for yet another letter complaining about the comics.

It shouldn't be a surprise to me, considering how grim their comics page
has become. Daily (one page, colorized):

FBOFW reruns
Baby Blues
Zits
Cathy
Grand Avenue
Get Fuzzy (the one ray of sunshine - they added GF 2 or 3 years ago,
then swapped it for PBS, but later brought GF back without dropping PBS)
Peanuts reruns
Lockhorns
Family Circus
Non Sequitur
Doonesbury
Jumpstart
Baldo
Pearls Before Swine
Garfield
Bizarro
The Flying McCoys (Far Side clone)
Close to Home (Far Side clone)
Dilbert (in the business section)

(I would be happy to drop 9 of the 18)

Sunday (6 pages):

Peanuts reruns (yes, the top page 1 comic is a rerun...)
Zits
Dilbert
Doonesbury
Garfield (running vertically - all the above are page 1)
Wizard of Id
Hagar the Horrible
The Flying McCoys
Dennis the Menace
Bizarro
Blondie
Marmaduke
Opus
Reality Check (Far Side clone)
Sally Forth
FBOFW reruns (I assume they will keep this)
Beetle Bailey
Shortcuts (kid feature)
Get Fuzzy
Family Circus
Jump Start
Rose is Rose
Cathy
Foxtrot
Baldo
Non Sequitur
Baby Blues
Curtis
plus a page of puzzles

(and 14 of the 28 here)

Over the last umpteen years, aside from dropping strips and downsizing
the comics section, they seem to have only made changes when they needed
to (usually when a strip ended), and the last couple of those were dealt
with by just reducing the strip count rather than replacing...

ted

Mike Beede

Sep 1, 2008, 11:51:46 AM9/1/08
In article <6i2g1tF...@mid.individual.net>,
nickelshrink <nickel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Myrtle Beach Sun News ran the first "new-run"
> this morning.

As a bit of terminology, I propose "undead Foob" to
refer to the "new" strip.

Mike Beede

cbrubaker

Sep 1, 2008, 11:57:40 AM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 9:57 am, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis

It looks like Jackson (TN) Sun will go on with the 'new' FBOFW.

I'll try to find out what Memphis Commercial Appeal is going with.

Mark Jackson

Sep 1, 2008, 12:08:02 PM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it?

The Rochester (NY) /Democrat and Chronicle/ is continuing with the zombie.

The capacity to wreak destruction with your models
provides the ultimate respectability.
- Emanuel Derman

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 1, 2008, 12:30:47 PM9/1/08

In the previous article, Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon paper,
but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest, stupidest
comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words: "Wee Pals.")
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Message has been deleted

Tove Momerathsson

Sep 1, 2008, 1:00:17 PM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick

The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch has reruns. <sigh> Dead Strip Walking.

Tove

Marcovaldo

Sep 1, 2008, 1:06:39 PM9/1/08
"Nick Theodorakis" <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

Az Republic ran the FBOFW strip today. I didn't see any mention in the paper
regarding long term plans.

unMichael

Sep 1, 2008, 1:25:02 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 12:52 pm, mp2...@live.com wrote:
> My paper, The Republican (Springfield, MA) chose to replace it with
> Pearls Before Swine starting with yesterday's paper. For some reason,
> For Better or For Worse appears in today's paper instead of Pearls
> Before Swine. Pearls Before Swine is supposed to be in the daily
> comics as well. It was indicated in yesterday's paper.

They didn't skip the last one, did they? I ended up getting the
Hampshire Gazette, because the Republican was sold out at the couple
of places I checked (late).
Saw the strip online.

I like "reFOOB" for the "new" strips. Kind of suggests "refurb."

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 1, 2008, 1:56:56 PM9/1/08

I wrote:
> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
> paper, but I'm betting it's still in there.

And now the paper is here. It's really tiresome being right all the
time.

Martina

Sep 1, 2008, 2:03:28 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 10:57 am, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis

It was in the Boston Globe today. I guess they're keeping it for now.

Message has been deleted

Pat O'Neill

Sep 1, 2008, 2:43:35 PM9/1/08
wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis

Philly Inky is sticking with the re-drawn oldies

Brian Henke

Sep 1, 2008, 3:25:32 PM9/1/08

The Plain Dealer announced that Pajama Diaries would replace FBOFW.

Cincy...@aol.com

----------

Judge Parker, One Big Happy, Rose is Rose

- Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find
in Atlanta

aemeijers

Sep 1, 2008, 4:00:38 PM9/1/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
>> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
>> it with Lio.
>
> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon paper,
> but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest, stupidest
> comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words: "Wee Pals.")
JD, weren't you over in Ann Arbor before?

--
aem sends....

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 1, 2008, 4:11:55 PM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

The San Jose _Mercury_ (or what's left of it) continues with FOOB (or
what's left of it.)

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Bruce Harper

Sep 1, 2008, 4:18:14 PM9/1/08
In article
<118018e0-b10e-4d2f...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

The Roanoke Times (Va.) dropped it. The paper picked up Pearls Before
Swine during the Doonesbury sabbatical, then dropped the strip when
Doonsebury returned. Complaints ensued, so PBS was added back to the
lineup a few weeks ago. Today it was moved from its added-back location
to the space originally occupied by FBOFW. PBS will now appear in the
Sunday comics, also.

Bruce in Blacksburg

stoppuller

Sep 1, 2008, 5:51:20 PM9/1/08
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis

Speaking of Lio, do you recall the hilarious spoof of the Patterson
clan on 3-25-07?

LNER...@juno.com

Sep 1, 2008, 6:44:55 PM9/1/08
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

Washington Post: Replaced by "Little Dog Lost," a Wash Post Writers
Group offering drawn by Steve Boreman. Sidebar on the adjacent page
explains the change to any clueless twits, as well as a fine line of
type above the strip in the former FBOFW slot. "New-runs" of FBOFW
available at the WP website.

Yes, it takes me THIS long to get to the newspaper on a holiday.

Baltimore Sun: dunno. No hint on the paper's website, and I ain't
spending 75 cents on an anemic excuse for a newspaper just to find
out.

Robert

Sep 1, 2008, 7:21:41 PM9/1/08
wrote:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis

The L.A. Times is running the newruns, or whatever. God, this is like
watching a beloved friend die after a long, painful bout with cancer
and then having his corpse waved in front of you every day.

Mark Steese

Sep 1, 2008, 7:32:13 PM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote in news:118018e0-b10e-
4d2f-ac24-b...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick

Our local paper, the Klamath Falls *Herald and News*, is still running the
strip, which is no surprise, given that the newest daily comic strip in the
paper is "Dilbert," which premiered in 1989. ("Zits" runs in the Sundays,
but they're standing firm against any post-'97 incursions.)
--
Mark Steese
=======================

ronniecat

Sep 1, 2008, 8:22:02 PM9/1/08
Nick Theodorakis <nick.the...@gmail.com> wrote in news:118018e0-b10e-
4d2f-ac24-b...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local

> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

The Telegraph-Journal is the only paper I saw today, and it's continuing
with Undead Foob. Of course, in order to change something in light of FBOFW
ending, someone would have to a) be paying attention, b) actually notice
the comics page existed, and c) decide to make a decision affecting it. Not
bloody likely.

It's just as well. The last time they made an actual decision, it was to
compensate for the fact that Foxtrot weekly strips were ending by...
enlarging the font in the bridge column. (I am not kidding. That was the
action that inspired me to write them a letter of complaint that started
with the line, "Why does the Telegraph-Journal hate comics fans?" I didn't
even get a courtesy reply.)

ronnie

--
remove my collar to reply via email

ronniecat

Sep 1, 2008, 8:23:17 PM9/1/08
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote in news:g9h5bn$ali
$1...@reader1.panix.com:

> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon paper,
> but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest, stupidest
> comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words: "Wee Pals.")

Hmm. I'm trying to figure out if your "Wee Pals" trumps my papers' editors
replacing Foxtrot dailies with larger text in the bridge column.

Jury's still out.

Dann

Sep 1, 2008, 9:55:04 PM9/1/08
On 01 Sep 2008, Nick Theodorakis said the following in news:118018e0-b10e-
4d2f-ac24-b...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com.

> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.

The Undead Foob walk in the Jackson Citizen Patriot.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Jim Strain

Sep 1, 2008, 10:39:01 PM9/1/08
wrote:
> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> it with Lio.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Theodorakis
> nick_theodora...@hotmail.com
> contact form:http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

The San Diego Union-Tribune dropped it, but in the announcement they
advised there will be one more Sunday strip. Don't know what that's
all about. In the daily, so far there's no replacement; they just
opened up a little space between the remaining strips on the page.
. . . jim strain in san diego.

James Nicoll

Sep 1, 2008, 11:51:00 PM9/1/08
In article <307cad9b-043e-438f...@z11g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,

Robert <bobby...@verizon.net> wrote:
>On Sep 1, 7:57 am, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
>> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
>> it with Lio.
>>

>The L.A. Times is running the newruns, or whatever. God, this is like
>watching a beloved friend die after a long, painful bout with cancer
>and then having his corpse waved in front of you every day.

Funny, I was just wondering about how an outbreak of the Living
Dead in California in the mid-1960s would have interacted with the 1968
laws that led to California transforming its state hospital oriented
mental health services to local community responsibility oriented
mental health services (The issue was work related).

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

dharma

Sep 2, 2008, 12:03:06 AM9/2/08

The Daily Reflector of Greenville, NC has the reruns.

<given that the newest daily comic strip in the paper is "Dilbert,"which
premiered in 1989>

That is how my paper is.

dharma

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 2, 2008, 12:03:16 AM9/2/08

In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
> > I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
> > paper, but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest,
> > stupidest comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words:
> > "Wee Pals.")
>
> JD, weren't you over in Ann Arbor before?

I've been to a few meetings in Ann Arbor, but never lived there. I am
not now, nor have I ever been, an Ann Arbor News subscriber.

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 2, 2008, 12:04:17 AM9/2/08

In the previous article, ronniecat <ronni...@mycollar.ronniecat.com>
wrote:

> > I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
> > paper, but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest,
> > stupidest comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words:
> > "Wee Pals.")
>
> Hmm. I'm trying to figure out if your "Wee Pals" trumps my papers'
> editors replacing Foxtrot dailies with larger text in the bridge
> column.
>
> Jury's still out.

Is this really that difficult a question? Simply ask yourself, "Is
there someone, somewhere, who gets enjoyment out of the bridge
column?" ... and the question will answer itself.

George W Harris

Sep 2, 2008, 1:16:15 AM9/2/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:22:24 -0700 (PDT), mp2...@live.com wrote:

>Actually, they did skip the final strip in The Republican. When I
>first pulled out the comics section, I was actually happy to see a new
>strip in the paper (Pearls Before Swine). I actually didn't want to
>look at For Better or For Worse again because I already saw it in the
>Boston Globe and the Hartford Courant. I hope The Republican doesn't
>keep the daily versions of the so-called 'new-runs'. I want to see
>Pearls Before Swine everyday now.

The Raleigh News & Observer is running the zombie
strip, although I've sent them a note suggesting they replace
it. They're fairly active with their comics page, and they have
announced they're dropping the Duck (although they haven't
announced what they'll replace it with).
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Invid Fan

Sep 2, 2008, 1:51:42 AM9/2/08
In article <Xns9B0CD906E9B7Dro...@66.250.146.207>,
ronniecat <ronni...@mycollar.ronniecat.com> wrote:

Why do you hate bridge fans? :)

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Invid Fan

Sep 2, 2008, 1:55:43 AM9/2/08
In article <auipb41iqnna5anbr...@4ax.com>, George W
Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:22:24 -0700 (PDT), mp2...@live.com wrote:
>
> >Actually, they did skip the final strip in The Republican. When I
> >first pulled out the comics section, I was actually happy to see a new
> >strip in the paper (Pearls Before Swine). I actually didn't want to
> >look at For Better or For Worse again because I already saw it in the
> >Boston Globe and the Hartford Courant. I hope The Republican doesn't
> >keep the daily versions of the so-called 'new-runs'. I want to see
> >Pearls Before Swine everyday now.
>
> The Raleigh News & Observer is running the zombie
> strip, although I've sent them a note suggesting they replace
> it. They're fairly active with their comics page, and they have
> announced they're dropping the Duck (although they haven't
> announced what they'll replace it with).

The Buffalo News still has Foob, but here on the border maybe they're
trying to keep Canadian readers :) They've been good at getting new
strips of late so who knows how long they'll keep it.

Rob Wynne

Sep 2, 2008, 8:19:59 AM9/2/08

When he was a small child, his parents were murdered before his very eyes
by Omar Sharif.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Neil Robinson

Sep 2, 2008, 11:03:32 AM9/2/08
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, J.D. Baldwin wrote:

> In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
>>> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
>>> paper, but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest,
>>> stupidest comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words:
>>> "Wee Pals.")
>>
>> JD, weren't you over in Ann Arbor before?
>
> I've been to a few meetings in Ann Arbor, but never lived there. I am
> not now, nor have I ever been, an Ann Arbor News subscriber.
> --

I'm in Ann Arbor, but I have never subscribed to the News. Of course, this
isn't relevant to this discussion since the paper didn't run FBOFW.

The Detroit Free Press, which cancelled the strip a month before the
wedding and then caved a week later, has had the reruns the last two days.
My email remains unanswered.

Neil Robinson

Gary E. Ansok

Sep 2, 2008, 1:06:53 PM9/2/08
>On Sep 1, 7:57=A0am, Nick Theodorakis <nick.theodora...@gmail.com>

>wrote:
>> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
>> newspaper handling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
>> it with Lio.
>
>The L.A. Times is running the newruns, or whatever. God, this is like
>watching a beloved friend die after a long, painful bout with cancer
>and then having his corpse waved in front of you every day.

Here's a sidebar that was in the LA Times today and yesterday:

Starting this week, "For Better or for Worse" begins over again,
with a retelling of the story that Lynn Johnston started 29 years
ago. Some of the comics are originals and some are redrawn.
Since it's a repost of a store that's already been told, we want
to give readers a say on its future. For five weeks, we'll run
"For Better or for Worse." After that, we'll sample three other
comics, some of which you've already told us you like. After
you've had a chance to read them all, we'll make a selection.
Send comments to com...@latimes.com.

I wonder if the strips they sample this time will be the same ones they
ran (for three weeks each) during Doonesbury's hiatus -- unfortunately,
I can't remember what any of them were. (All seemed reasonable to me,
but none either particularly memorable or awful, as I recall).

Gary Ansok
--
Though menu is ostensibly "about" food-service-industry purchase options,
when seen in context of transnational cultural imperialism and the struggle

Neil Robinson

Sep 2, 2008, 2:28:54 PM9/2/08
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Neil Robinson wrote:

> The Detroit Free Press, which cancelled the strip a month before the wedding
> and then caved a week later, has had the reruns the last two days. My email
> remains unanswered.

Good news at last: the features editor emailed back, saying he agreed with
my disappointment at seeing FBOFW in the pape, and that he is "persuing
alternatives."

aemeijers

Sep 2, 2008, 5:52:50 PM9/2/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
>>> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
>>> paper, but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest,
>>> stupidest comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words:
>>> "Wee Pals.")
>> JD, weren't you over in Ann Arbor before?
>
> I've been to a few meetings in Ann Arbor, but never lived there. I am
> not now, nor have I ever been, an Ann Arbor News subscriber.
Silly me. From some of the local references you've made on here and
elsewhere, I got it in my head that you were way over on SE Mich, not 25
minutes from here.

--
aem sends, confused as usual...

aemeijers

Sep 2, 2008, 5:53:39 PM9/2/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, ronniecat <ronni...@mycollar.ronniecat.com>
> wrote:
>>> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
>>> paper, but I'm betting it's still in there. We have *the* laziest,
>>> stupidest comics editor in the nation. (Need proof? Two words:
>>> "Wee Pals.")
>> Hmm. I'm trying to figure out if your "Wee Pals" trumps my papers'
>> editors replacing Foxtrot dailies with larger text in the bridge
>> column.
>>
>> Jury's still out.
>
> Is this really that difficult a question? Simply ask yourself, "Is
> there someone, somewhere, who gets enjoyment out of the bridge
> column?" ... and the question will answer itself.
Mebbe Omar Sharif?

--
aem sends...

Mark Jackson

Sep 2, 2008, 6:38:30 PM9/2/08

A neologism meaning "examining closely while running after". . . .

The capacity to wreak destruction with your models
provides the ultimate respectability.
- Emanuel Derman

Neil Robinson

Sep 2, 2008, 6:49:28 PM9/2/08
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Mark Jackson wrote:

> Neil Robinson wrote:

>> "persuing alternatives."
>
> A neologism meaning "examining closely while running after". . . .

Nah, it just means I can't spell, even when someone has done it for me
properly one message over.

Mark Jackson

Sep 2, 2008, 7:34:29 PM9/2/08
Mark Jackson wrote:

> Nick Theodorakis wrote:
>> Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
>> newspaper handling it?
>
> The Rochester (NY) /Democrat and Chronicle/ is continuing with the zombie.

. . . .but my email complaint did draw an instantaneous response,
indicating that while "[t]here are a lot of fans as well who didn't see
the early years" they'll be evaluating possible changes this fall, for
application at yearend.

ronniecat

Sep 2, 2008, 7:53:04 PM9/2/08
aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote in news:DBivk.24271$Mh5.21561@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> J.D. Baldwin wrote:

>> Is this really that difficult a question? Simply ask yourself, "Is
>> there someone, somewhere, who gets enjoyment out of the bridge
>> column?" ... and the question will answer itself.
> Mebbe Omar Sharif?

Omar Sharif keeled my father. Prepare to die!

Mark Jackson

Sep 2, 2008, 8:14:42 PM9/2/08
ronniecat wrote:

> The last time they made an actual decision, it was to
> compensate for the fact that Foxtrot weekly strips were ending by...
> enlarging the font in the bridge column. (I am not kidding. That was the
> action that inspired me to write them a letter of complaint that started
> with the line, "Why does the Telegraph-Journal hate comics fans?" I didn't
> even get a courtesy reply.)

Not defending the choice, but it's poor evidence of not paying
attention. Since the average age of the bridge-playing population has
been increasing roughly 11.9 months per year the target audience *needs*
that larger font.

(Speaking from experience here. . . .)

Mark Steese

Sep 2, 2008, 9:44:57 PM9/2/08
ronniecat <ronni...@mycollar.ronniecat.com> wrote in

Out of morbid curiosity (I had forgotten that "Wee Pals" was still being
published), I went and looked it up on Google. Creators.com has the last
two months' worth of strips available. After looking at a few of them, I
can safely say that I would get much more enjoyment out of reading a bridge
column with enlarged text. In fact, compared to the last two months of
"Wee Pals," a large-type bridge column looks like a collaboration between
George Herriman, Walt Kelly, and Bill Watterson.

trnco...@aol.com

Sep 2, 2008, 10:19:07 PM9/2/08
The (Newark, NJ) Star-Ledger ditched the weekday Foob and is using the
$1.98 a week to bring back Heloise. "Jump Start" was moved over to its
spot and Cryptoquotes moved to the comics.

I like this quote from its explanatory article:

"We view [the start of re-Foobs] as the part of the movie where the
credits start to roll. Diehard fans might stay in their seats, ready
to view it all over again...We, however, will take this cue to leave
the theater."

Dann

Sep 2, 2008, 10:19:04 PM9/2/08
On 02 Sep 2008, aemeijers said the following in

I had you pegged as being in one of the Detroit suburbs.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 2, 2008, 10:45:56 PM9/2/08
On Sep 2, 9:44 pm, Mark Steese <mark_ste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ronniecat <ronnie....@mycollar.ronniecat.com> wrote innews:Xns9B0CD93CA4C3Aro...@66.250.146.207:
>
> > INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote in
> > news:g9h5bn$ali $...@reader1.panix.com:

> >> I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
> >> paper, but I'm betting it's still in there.  We have *the* laziest,
> >> stupidest comics editor in the nation.  (Need proof?  Two words:
> >> "Wee Pals.")
>
> > Hmm. I'm trying to figure out if your "Wee Pals" trumps my papers'
> > editors replacing Foxtrot dailies with larger text in the bridge
> > column.
>
> > Jury's still out.
>
> > ronnie
>
> Out of morbid curiosity (I had forgotten that "Wee Pals" was still being
> published), I went and looked it up on Google.  Creators.com has the last
> two months' worth of strips available.  After looking at a few of them, I
> can safely say that I would get much more enjoyment out of reading a bridge
> column with enlarged text.  In fact, compared to the last two months of
> "Wee Pals," a large-type bridge column looks like a collaboration between
> George Herriman, Walt Kelly, and Bill Watterson.
> --

Who played West?

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 2, 2008, 11:42:22 PM9/2/08

In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had you pegged as being in one of the Detroit suburbs.

Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
of horror.

Mike Beede

Sep 2, 2008, 11:49:14 PM9/2/08
In article <Xns9B0DBEBA...@130.133.1.4>,
Mark Steese <mark_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Out of morbid curiosity (I had forgotten that "Wee Pals" was still being
> published), I went and looked it up on Google. Creators.com has the last
> two months' worth of strips available. After looking at a few of them, I
> can safely say that I would get much more enjoyment out of reading a bridge
> column with enlarged text. In fact, compared to the last two months of
> "Wee Pals," a large-type bridge column looks like a collaboration between
> George Herriman, Walt Kelly, and Bill Watterson.

Yowza! That was pretty bad. Computer lettering of a particularly
eye-scorching variety. Is there really an adult in the U.S. that
doesn't know what a yarmulke is, even if they can't spell it
without looking it up (like me). And the "footnote" was in the
same titanic boldface font as the rest! I'd describe the "punch
line," but you'd think I was making it up for comic effect. Which
is kind of an odd idea--making a joke about a lame joke.

<http://www.creators.com/comics/wee-pals/23237.html>

Mike Beede

George W Harris

Sep 2, 2008, 11:59:05 PM9/2/08

Robert Conrad.

aemeijers

Sep 3, 2008, 12:24:15 AM9/3/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I had you pegged as being in one of the Detroit suburbs.
>
> Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
> of horror.
So convince me I'm not senile- when did you move?

--
aem sends...

Message has been deleted

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 3, 2008, 12:42:10 AM9/3/08

Stone Soup, Cafe con Leche, and Dog Eat Doug . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

unMichael

Sep 3, 2008, 8:36:59 AM9/3/08
On Sep 2, 7:53 pm, ronniecat <ronnie....@mycollar.ronniecat.com>
wrote:
> aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote innews:DBivk.24271$Mh5.21561@bgtnsc04-

> news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> >> Is this really that difficult a question?  Simply ask yourself, "Is
> >> there someone, somewhere, who gets enjoyment out of the bridge
> >> column?" ... and the question will answer itself.
> > Mebbe Omar Sharif?
>
> Omar Sharif keeled my father. Prepare to die!

Omar Sharif had six fingers?!

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 3, 2008, 9:10:12 AM9/3/08

In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
> > Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
> > of horror.
> So convince me I'm not senile- when did you move?

Long before finding racs. 1997.

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 3, 2008, 9:13:41 AM9/3/08

In the previous article, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
> Yowza! That was pretty bad. Computer lettering of a particularly
> eye-scorching variety. Is there really an adult in the U.S. that
> doesn't know what a yarmulke is, even if they can't spell it
> without looking it up (like me).

To be fair -- not that this strip deserves fairness, but what the
hey -- it's not necessarily aimed at adults. It's an "educational"
strip, so it's letting the kiddies know what a yarmulke is. (And
in my experience, actual Jews wince when some goy calls it a "skull
cap.")

> And the "footnote" was in the same titanic boldface font as the
> rest! I'd describe the "punch line," but you'd think I was making
> it up for comic effect. Which is kind of an odd idea--making a joke
> about a lame joke.

"Odd idea"? That's the whole racs stock-in-trade!

Jym Dyer

Sep 3, 2008, 10:57:44 AM9/3/08
=v= The _San_Francisco_Chronicle_ is doing the French-language
reruns. Up at the top of the page, even.
<_Jym_>

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 3, 2008, 12:16:49 PM9/3/08
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

> In the previous article, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>> Yowza! That was pretty bad. Computer lettering of a particularly
>> eye-scorching variety. Is there really an adult in the U.S. that
>> doesn't know what a yarmulke is, even if they can't spell it
>> without looking it up (like me).
>
> To be fair -- not that this strip deserves fairness, but what the
> hey -- it's not necessarily aimed at adults. It's an "educational"
> strip, so it's letting the kiddies know what a yarmulke is. (And in
> my experience, actual Jews wince when some goy calls it a "skull
> cap.")

Not to mention that any synagogue that considers it a "skull cap worn
in synagogue" rather than a head covering worn almost all the time (as
the kid speaking appears to) will certainly have a box of them by the
entrance to be used by men (and some women) who didn't bring their
own. Which will likely include most of the congregation. And that if
they don't, the hat the other kid's wearing at the moment would work
just fine.

HP Laboratories |I believe there are more instances
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |of the abridgment of the freedom of
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |the people by gradual and silent
|encroachments of those in power
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |than by violent and sudden
(650)857-7572 |usurpations.
| James Madison
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Mike Marshall

Sep 3, 2008, 1:21:23 PM9/3/08
* Is there really an adult in the U.S. that doesn't know what a yarmulke is

Y'all must live in an insulated environment...

-Mike "we're talking high R-value"

Rob Wynne

Sep 3, 2008, 1:41:57 PM9/3/08

Heh. Reminds me of the joke about the Jewish couple who were living in
South Carolina when they decided to get married. They wanted to be married
by an Orthodox rabbi, so they sent for one all the way from New York City,
where the groom was originally from.

When the rabbi arrived at the small town where the wedding was to take
place, he attracted a great deal of attention, and eventually had a small
gaggle of children following beind him, buzzing excitedly about his odd
dress and long beard. Finally, unable to take anymore, the rabbi spun
around to confront the crowd. "What!" he cried. "Never before have you
seen a Yankee?"

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/
Gafilk 2009: Jan 9-11, 2009 - Atlanta, GA - http://www.gafilk.org/
Aphelion - Original SF&F since 1997 - http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/

Mike Marshall

Sep 3, 2008, 3:44:54 PM9/3/08
Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> writes:
>"What!" he cried. "Never before have you
>seen a Yankee?"

Hee hee... must be an old joke, we're thick with 'em now! <g>

Other old joke:

A man saw a fellow about to jump off a bridge... "Stop!," he said, "What
would Jesus think?" "I'm an atheist." said the jumper. "What would your
parents think?" "They're dead." said the jumper. "Well then, what would
Robert E. Lee think?" "Who?" "Jump, you d*** Yankee!"

-Mike

aemeijers

Sep 3, 2008, 5:38:38 PM9/3/08
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
>>> Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
>>> of horror.
>> So convince me I'm not senile- when did you move?
>
> Long before finding racs. 1997.
Maybe I'm remembering you from earlier days in other groups- I dunno. I
was a lurker in alt.dcom.telecom for many years. Occam's razor says I'm
just losing it.

--
aem sends, confusedly....

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2008, 6:34:26 PM9/3/08
On Sep 3, 12:16 pm, Evan Kirshenbaum <kirshenb...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> Not to mention that any synagogue that considers it a "skull cap worn
> in synagogue" rather than a head covering worn almost all the time (as
> the kid speaking appears to) will certainly have a box of them by the
> entrance to be used by men (and some women) who didn't bring their
> own.  Which will likely include most of the congregation.  And that if
> they don't, the hat the other kid's wearing at the moment would work
> just fine.

That was my thought when I saw this. I don't encounter the strip on a
daily basis, and this ghastly strip is why. God Bless Morrie Turner
for being in the right place at the right time, but so was Cathy
Guisewite, and look what that turned into.

This is a case of earnestness without knowledge. I hate like hell to
come down on Morrie, but he really needs to step away from the bully
pulpit and find out what he's talking about -- it's like people
pushing the term "Native American" when most Indians consider the term
a load of well-intentioned bullshit.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Dann

Sep 3, 2008, 6:46:22 PM9/3/08
On 02 Sep 2008, J.D. Baldwin said the following in news:g9l12t$73b$1
@reader1.panix.com.

> In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I had you pegged as being in one of the Detroit suburbs.
>
> Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
> of horror.

I meant aem. Sorry for the confusion.

Peter B. Steiger

Sep 3, 2008, 7:15:09 PM9/3/08
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:34:26 -0700, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org sez:

> it's like people
> pushing the term "Native American" when most Indians consider the term a
> load of well-intentioned bullshit.

Why would somebody from India care one way or the other what term we use?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

aemeijers

Sep 3, 2008, 8:01:28 PM9/3/08
Dann wrote:
> On 02 Sep 2008, J.D. Baldwin said the following in news:g9l12t$73b$1
> @reader1.panix.com.
>
>> In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I had you pegged as being in one of the Detroit suburbs.
>> Used to live in Shelby Township. Decent little island in a sea
>> of horror.
>
> I meant aem. Sorry for the confusion.

I was wondering about who you meant myself, but no matter.

As to me and SE MI- nope, even the half-abandoned parts of those 3 or 4
counties are way too crowded for me. Not at all a big-city boy. I did
around 3 years in metro Indianapolis as a kid, and more than had my
fill. I'd just as soon move back to someplace with shorter winters, but
they pay me way too much to walk away.

--
aem sends...

Dann

Sep 3, 2008, 8:26:23 PM9/3/08
On 03 Sep 2008, aemeijers said the following in news:szFvk.198211
$102.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.

Well I owe JD a beer or three. I probably own you a couple as well.
Maybe we'll have to get Heather and convene RACS-Southern Michigan
sometime.

Invid Fan

Sep 3, 2008, 8:55:41 PM9/3/08
In article <6i637iF...@mid.individual.net>, Mark Jackson
<mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

> ronniecat wrote:
>
> > The last time they made an actual decision, it was to
> > compensate for the fact that Foxtrot weekly strips were ending by...
> > enlarging the font in the bridge column. (I am not kidding. That was the
> > action that inspired me to write them a letter of complaint that started
> > with the line, "Why does the Telegraph-Journal hate comics fans?" I didn't
> > even get a courtesy reply.)
>
> Not defending the choice, but it's poor evidence of not paying
> attention. Since the average age of the bridge-playing population has
> been increasing roughly 11.9 months per year the target audience *needs*
> that larger font.
>
> (Speaking from experience here. . . .)

And given the Bridge column is often fucked up (not having the column
formatting right, repeating lines in the hands, etc) at least your
paper cares about Bridge :) Actually, the Buffalo News does too, given
they did dump iirc Omar's column and went back to the other one when
people bitched, but they still screw up the printing :(

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 3, 2008, 9:40:47 PM9/3/08

In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well I owe JD a beer or three. I probably own you a couple as well.
> Maybe we'll have to get Heather and convene RACS-Southern Michigan
> sometime.

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe we could even invite that
guy from northern Indiana. You know, to serve the drinks and hold
chairs and so forth.

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 3, 2008, 10:03:23 PM9/3/08
J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> In the previous article, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Well I owe JD a beer or three. I probably own you a couple as well.
>> Maybe we'll have to get Heather and convene RACS-Southern Michigan
>> sometime.

> I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe we could even invite that
> guy from northern Indiana. You know, to serve the drinks and hold
> chairs and so forth.

You know WHERE he's going to hold the drinks, don't you?

--
Sherwood Harrington
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/

spel...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2008, 9:47:58 AM9/4/08
On Sep 1, 12:06 pm, "Marcovaldo" <Marcova...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Nick Theodorakis" <nick.theodora...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Now that FBOFW has entered the Lucas-ization phase, how is your local
> >newspaperhandling it? The Indianapolis Star dropped it and replaced
> > it with Lio.
>
> Az Republic ran the FBOFW strip today. I didn't see any mention in the paper
> regarding long term plans.

if you don't want to receive your local newspaper anymore, opt out of
it - www.stopmylocalpaper.com

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 4, 2008, 10:52:00 AM9/4/08

In the previous article, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:
> Maybe I'm remembering you from earlier days in other groups- I
> dunno. I was a lurker in alt.dcom.telecom for many years. Occam's
> razor says I'm just losing it.

Could very well be; I wasn't especially active in alt.dcom.telecom,
but I definitely remember participating there. VERY educational
newsgroup.

Paul

Sep 5, 2008, 12:02:54 PM9/5/08

Brian Huntley

Sep 5, 2008, 4:39:06 PM9/5/08
On Sep 5, 12:02 pm, Paul <pssaw...@comcast.BAD.EXAMPLE.net> wrote:

What is something Bristol Palin isn't, Alex?

agrgurich

Sep 6, 2008, 2:12:49 PM9/6/08
On Sep 2, 12:04 am, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:
> In the previous article, ronniecat <ronnie....@mycollar.ronniecat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > I haven't seen today's Kalamazoo Gazette yet, it's an afternoon
> > > paper, but I'm betting it's still in there.  We have *the* laziest,
> > > stupidest comics editor in the nation.  (Need proof?  Two words:
> > > "Wee Pals.")
>
> > Hmm. I'm trying to figure out if your "Wee Pals" trumps my papers'
> > editors replacing Foxtrot dailies with larger text in the bridge
> > column.
>
> > Jury's still out.

> Is this really that difficult a question?  Simply ask yourself, "Is
> there someone, somewhere, who gets enjoyment out of the bridge
> column?" ... and the question will answer itself.
> --
>   _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \      /  bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------­---

As a matter of fact, the Chicago Tribune dropped the bridge column,
but brought it back after many complaints.
Yes, I read it even though I don't play bridge. :C) AJG

Nick Theodorakis

Sep 7, 2008, 9:45:35 PM9/7/08
To update my OP: It seems the /Indianapolis Star/ is still running
FOOB on Sunday, rather then Lio.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com
contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

haywood jablomy

Sep 9, 2008, 4:05:41 AM9/9/08

I think Wee Pals' circulation was at its peak when it was adapted into
the cartoon series "Kid Power." Seeing it as a kid I thought it was a
half decent show with better songs than were found in other cartoons of
the time. When I found the comic strip I was let down... even then I
thought "Kid Power" was a far cooler title than "Wee Pals," and that the
cartoon was better. I'm sure my opinion would change for the worse were
I to again see "Kid Power."

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 9, 2008, 11:40:09 PM9/9/08
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:15:09 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:34:26 -0700, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org sez:
>
>> it's like people
>> pushing the term "Native American" when most Indians consider the term a
>> load of well-intentioned bullshit.
>
>Why would somebody from India care one way or the other what term we use?

People not form India being called Indians? What kinda stupidity
is that?

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 6:15:47 AM9/10/08
On Sep 9, 11:40 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:15:09 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
>
> <see....@for.email.address> wrote:

> >On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:34:26 -0700, peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org sez:
>
> >> it's like people
> >> pushing the term "Native American" when most Indians consider the term a
> >> load of well-intentioned bullshit.
>
> >Why would somebody from India care one way or the other what term we use?
>
>     People not form India being called Indians?  What kinda stupidity
> is that?

I'm assuming you also don't use the term "West Indies" to describe
that group of islands in the Caribbean, since they're nowhere near
India. What do you call them?

And Greenland -- It's not green! Do you use "Kalaallisut" like a good
person, or do you insist on the inaccurate colonialist name?

As a United Statesan, I'd like to know what you're doing to get these
geographic errors fixed in your own usage.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Brian Huntley

Sep 10, 2008, 11:06:21 AM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 6:15 am, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As a United Statesan, I'd like to know what you're doing to get these
> geographic errors fixed in your own usage.

Which "United States" are you in, again? Estados Unidos Mexicanos?

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 10, 2008, 6:59:17 PM9/10/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), "pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org"
<racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sep 9, 11:40 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:15:09 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
>>
>> <see....@for.email.address> wrote:
>> >On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:34:26 -0700, peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org sez:

>> >Why would somebody from India care one way or the other what term we use?
>>
>>     People not form India being called Indians?  What kinda stupidity
>> is that?
>
>I'm assuming you also don't use the term "West Indies" to describe
>that group of islands in the Caribbean, since they're nowhere near
>India. What do you call them?

Cuban, Haitian, Jamaican, depending on the island, of course . . .

>And Greenland -- It's not green! Do you use "Kalaallisut" like a good
>person, or do you insist on the inaccurate colonialist name?

Then we wouldn't be able to make the Greenland/Iceland joke!

>As a United Statesan, I'd like to know what you're doing to get these
>geographic errors fixed in your own usage.

Seriously, we live in a time in the US when our tech support calls
are likely to be directed to Bangalore or Mumbai, and our new doctor
comes from New Dehli; this now mentioning how popular curry and Indian
cuisine are beocoming. With this in mind, still referring to Native
Americans as "Indians" is not only politically incorrect, it's
incorrect period!

Times change, so does word use; resisting is to be expected, but
the world moves on . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

Invid Fan

Sep 10, 2008, 7:13:04 PM9/10/08
In article <9ijgc4d2ljmbf2kvp...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Seriously, we live in a time in the US when our tech support calls
> are likely to be directed to Bangalore or Mumbai, and our new doctor
> comes from New Dehli; this now mentioning how popular curry and Indian
> cuisine are beocoming. With this in mind, still referring to Native
> Americans as "Indians" is not only politically incorrect, it's
> incorrect period!
>
> Times change, so does word use; resisting is to be expected, but
> the world moves on . . .

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't we be using the Indian word for
"India" and "Indian" instead of the English one we forced on them?

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 7:34:05 PM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 6:59 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org"

When the people to whom the word is applied ask for a different word,
I'll use a different word. Until then, I don't think I'm in a position
to tell them what they ought to be called. Maybe you are superior to
them. I'm not.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

ronniecat

Sep 10, 2008, 7:38:39 PM9/10/08
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote in news:100920081913046770%
in...@loclanet.com:

> In article <9ijgc4d2ljmbf2kvp...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
> Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> With this in mind, still referring to Native
>> Americans as "Indians" is not only politically incorrect, it's
>> incorrect period!

It also depends a hell of a lot on who's doing the calling. As I meant to
reply to Mike's post earlier, I know the situation varies from place to
place, but in Atlantic Canada, Aboriginals call themselves Indians and call
each other Indians and joke about "Indian time" and "Indian cars" but if I
called one an Indian I'd be lucky to get away with merely being politely
shown the door. My understanding is that in the NY/Ontario border reserves,
the use of "Indian" is more universally accepted by natives and non-
natives.

The expression that still stops me mid-breath when I hear or see it - and I
do, a lot - is "Red Indian", used by Brits. They use it to differentiate
from India Indians, and it's hard for them to understand how incredibly
offensive it is considered here. (But then, I had a British boyfriend who
referred to people in wheelchairs as "spastics" and was genuinely baffled
when I said it would be considered horribly rude in Canada, so there's a
bit of a ... terminology gap there.)
<snip>

> Just out of curiosity, shouldn't we be using the Indian word for
> "India" and "Indian" instead of the English one we forced on them?

No Desi is going to take you seriously if you start doing that.

--
Address altered to avoid spam; remove mycollar to reply
http://www.hearingloss.blogspot.com

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 10, 2008, 9:16:12 PM9/10/08
ronniecat <ronn...@mycollarronniecat.com> wrote:
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote in news:100920081913046770%
> in...@loclanet.com:

>> Just out of curiosity, shouldn't we be using the Indian word for

>> "India" and "Indian" instead of the English one we forced on them?
>>

> No Desi is going to take you seriously if you start doing that.

But all the Lucys will. And they'll get in trouble for it.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Who's Got Some 'Splainin to Do

Mike Beede

Sep 10, 2008, 11:00:57 PM9/10/08
In article <9ijgc4d2ljmbf2kvp...@4ax.com>,
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Seriously, we live in a time in the US when our tech support calls
> are likely to be directed to Bangalore or Mumbai, and our new doctor
> comes from New Dehli; this now mentioning how popular curry and Indian
> cuisine are beocoming. With this in mind, still referring to Native
> Americans as "Indians" is not only politically incorrect, it's
> incorrect period!

Well, as an Indian, I'd like to say "blow me." My great-grandfather
was called an Indian. My grandfather called himself an Indian. It
seems good enough for me. If you're an Indian, feel free to call
yourself whatever you want. I prefer "Indian." In fact, to
disambiguate things, I've been known to refer to "the fake Indians"
to refer to actual people from India. Luckily, real Indians seem
to be very centered and secure and always either understand that
I'm kidding or decide to humor the obviously-white guy that thinks
he's an Indian. It's all about cultural identification anyway--the
idea that someone that has a black grandfather being 1/4 black is
silly. The genes are discrete and there aren't *that* many of them
and the frequencies are not that different between the "races"
anyway. So, I'm an Indian, and if you don't like it, see bullet
number one.

Mike Beede

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 10, 2008, 11:38:02 PM9/10/08
In article <beede-25A354....@news.visi.com>,

I thought this was kind of put to rest when "The National Museum
of the American Indian" was extensively vetted before debuting under
that name.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Message has been deleted

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2008, 12:33:11 AM9/11/08

Well, I'm a huge prick when it comes to this sort of thing; it
still irks me when I hear chimpanzees, gorillas, or orangutans refered
to as monkeys. I just have a thing for correct meaning . . .

A turkey is a turkey, no matter how much others insist, or how much
it inisists on being called a peafowl . . .

Charlie Foxtrot

Sep 11, 2008, 3:40:49 AM9/11/08

Good to hear from one who knows first hand.

I'll add that Florida's Seminole Tribe, clearly, calls themselves
"Indians." They also balked when the PC police got the NCAA to ban
"Indian" nicknames for it's member schools. The last thing they
wanted was for the name "Seminoles" to be stripped from Florida State
University.

They also, prior to building huge Hard Rock Hotel and Casinos on their
Tampa and Hollywood (Miami suburb) reservations, referred to their
bingo, slot and poker halls as "Seminole Indian Casinos." The one in
Tampa, at least, even had a water tower sporting that name, along with
a depiction of an arrow piercing the tower.

Foxtrot

If you think you hate me from what I write here, check out my blog on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/bennettron

If you actually think I'm an okay guy, go ahead and add me as your friend if you are active at MySpace.

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2008, 4:35:20 AM9/11/08
On Sep 10, 7:38 pm, ronniecat <ronnie...@mycollarronniecat.com> wrote:
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote in news:100920081913046770%
> in...@loclanet.com:
>
> > In article <9ijgc4d2ljmbf2kvpf7ecgdqh85cdcp...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.

> > Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >> With this in mind, still referring to Native
> >> Americans as "Indians" is not only politically incorrect, it's
> >> incorrect period!
>
> It also depends a hell of a lot on who's doing the calling. As I meant to
> reply to Mike's post earlier, I know the situation varies from place to
> place, but in Atlantic Canada, Aboriginals call themselves Indians and call
> each other Indians and joke about "Indian time" and "Indian cars" but if I
> called one an Indian I'd be lucky to get away with merely being politely
> shown the door. My understanding is that in the NY/Ontario border reserves,
> the use of "Indian" is more universally accepted by natives and non-
> natives.

I put together a curriculum on the American West about eight years ago
and checked the terminology out pretty much across the board. I
already knew the Mohawk in our area preferred Indian, but I double-
checked with a Saginaw friend who wrote for the national press on
Indian topics and he was adamant on the point. In the course of
creating the curriculum, I also worked with the tribal historians from
the Comanche and Standing Rock Sioux and they used the term. I've
since done projects in which I consulted with the Hopi, Cree and
(other than Saginaw) Chippewa. Earlier, as a reporter, I'd talked to
Ute and Navajo representatives on different stories. Never heard one
of them say "Native American" in the course of referring to
themselves.

However, the aboriginal people of this continent are both culturally
diverse and are individuals with their own opinions. There are Irish
who cheerfully put on green plastic derbies and listen to "When Irish
Eyes Are Smiling" every March 17 and others who climb into a closet
and stay there until the day is over. Similarly, not every Indian
shares the same view of the various issues in their cultures, never
mind in the overall topic of native people.

One of the most interesting one-stop sources for this sort of question
that I have found is www.oyate.org, which is more militant on some
issues than I would be but is overall quite thoughtful and I think
speaks well to this sort of topic. (The other is Fred Hoxie's
"Encyclopedia of North American Indians")

Oyate.org has this entry in their FAQ:

Q. Which is correct, “Native American” or “Indian”?

Generally, the term "Native American" is used in a formal way (usually
written), and the term "Indian" is used informally by community
members. People generally introduce themselves first by their name,
clan, family, sometimes nation. So someone might introduce herself as
"Sally Yazzie" or "Sally Yazzie, Redhouse clan, born for Bitter Water,
my family lives up the hill near the big rock." Or she might say to
someone who doesn't know that Yazzie is a Diné name, "Sally Yazzie,
Diné." Or she might say to an outsider, "Sally Yazzie, Navajo" or
"Sally Yazzie, Navajo Indian." In our writing, we use the terms
"Native" and "Indian" interchangeably, depending on which word sounds
better in the context. In Canada, people refer to themselves as First
Nations Peoples. That hasn't caught on here yet. We don't use the term
"Native American" very often. Some people do not like the word
"Indian," because it refers to Columbus's mistake. Others do not like
the term "Native American" because anyone born here is a "native
American." And still others do not like the term "American Indian"
because it's an oxymoron.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mike Marshall

Sep 11, 2008, 10:43:18 AM9/11/08
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> writes:
>Just out of curiosity, shouldn't we be using the Indian word for
>"India" and "Indian" instead of the English one we forced on them?

Bloom County had the answer 20 years ago. We should all hang in trees by our
legs from our non-leather belts to avoid risking the possibility that
we step on a microbe.

-Mike

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 11, 2008, 12:16:56 PM9/11/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

> A turkey is a turkey, no matter how much others insist, or how much
> it inisists on being called a peafowl . . .

That's an interesting example in the current context, given that what
we call a "turkey" got its name, due to a confusion between it an an
African bird (the Guinea-fowl), which itself got the two names when
encountered in Guniea and Turkey (where it had been imported).

In Hebrew, the turkey is an "Indian cock". When I first heard this, I
assumed it was the "Native American" sense of "India", but I later
learned that the word was /hodu/, which refers to India. In French,
it's similarly a "coq d'Inde".

So the turkey is a turkey, even though it has nothing to do with that
country and neither, really, did the bird it was confused with. And
in other countries it's an "Indian bird", even though it has less to
do with that country.

HP Laboratories |The whole idea of our government is
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |this: if enough people get together
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |and act in concert, they can take
|something and not pay for it.
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com | P.J. O'Rourke
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2008, 4:31:50 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:16:56 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
<kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:
>
>> A turkey is a turkey, no matter how much others insist, or how much
>> it inisists on being called a peafowl . . .
>
>That's an interesting example in the current context, given that what
>we call a "turkey" got its name, due to a confusion between it an an
>African bird (the Guinea-fowl), which itself got the two names when
>encountered in Guniea and Turkey (where it had been imported).
>
>In Hebrew, the turkey is an "Indian cock". When I first heard this, I
>assumed it was the "Native American" sense of "India", but I later
>learned that the word was /hodu/, which refers to India. In French,
>it's similarly a "coq d'Inde".
>
>So the turkey is a turkey, even though it has nothing to do with that
>country and neither, really, did the bird it was confused with. And
>in other countries it's an "Indian bird", even though it has less to
>do with that country.

That's actually part of why I chose that analogy, but a different
language . . .:

- "Pavo" is Spanish for turkey, while peafowl are referred to as "pavo
real" (royal turkey). This may have more than a little to do with
similarities between the birds, and how Spaniards perceived them when
they were first encountered in the New World.

- Turkeys are originally native to the Americas (native Americans!),
while peafowl (specifically, the blue peafowl) are not just originally
native to India (Indians!), but India's national bird.

- All peafowl are usually confused as peacocks; peacocks are the
males, females are called peahens. This confusion is easily
explained, as when people think of peafowl, they probably just think
of the peacocks, and their famous feather display.

--
- ReFlex 76

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2008, 4:45:27 PM9/11/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:00:57 -0500, Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

Well first, I don't lean that way, so I'll have to turn that
"request" down. Honestly, it's not the ethnic thing that bugs me,
just the "nor from India" part; my own ethnicity is quite a mesh, in
spite of what my name would imply.

My maternal grandfather is from Lebannon, so I'm part Arab; I
actually have a picture of him as a kid in traditional garb I'll be
sure to post some time . Part of my father's ancestry comes from
Switzerland, but with an Italian surname (Negri; Swiss-Italian, I
guess). Of course, "Gonzalez" notes my Spanish ancestry, also on my
father's side. So what am I? Maybe
Swiss-Italian-Lebannese-Arab-Peruvian? I'm a human being, I should
hope that's the ultimate point . . .

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 11, 2008, 6:09:35 PM9/11/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

> - "Pavo" is Spanish for turkey, while peafowl are referred to as
> "pavo real" (royal turkey).

According to the DRAE, "pavo" is "del lat. _pavus_, el pavo real".
Unfortunately, they don't give dates, but they don't give "peafowl" as
a definition for bare "pavo", so presumably "pavos" were named in
Spanish before "pavos reales". (Which makes little sense.)

> This may have more than a little to do with similarities between the
> birds, and how Spaniards perceived them when they were first
> encountered in the New World.

It's interesting that Spanish speakers and English speakers confused
them with completely different birds. Or maybe just chose different
birds as the closest match. Other bird names (e.g., robins, blackbirds,
orioles) wound up refering to different genera in the two
hemispheres.

> - Turkeys are originally native to the Americas (native Americans!),
> while peafowl (specifically, the blue peafowl) are not just originally
> native to India (Indians!), but India's national bird.
>
> - All peafowl are usually confused as peacocks; peacocks are the
> males, females are called peahens. This confusion is easily
> explained, as when people think of peafowl, they probably just think
> of the peacocks, and their famous feather display.

In a smilar way, cows, rabbits, chickens, pigs, etc. originally either
referred to a single sex or, more often, to the young.

HP Laboratories |Feeling good about government is like
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |looking on the bright side of any
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |catastrophe. When you quit looking
|on the bright side, the catastrophe
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |is still there.
(650)857-7572 | P.J. O'Rourke

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/