So where are yo from?

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 26, 2008, 3:57:49 PM8/26/08
Since RACS spans the globe, I thought it would be nice to have a
Google map so we can show the rest of the world where we sit to read
our favorite comics.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf8&lr=lang_en&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115790882740779116409.000455613d33c6ba1376f&safe=on&ll=48.922499,-103.710937&spn=104.277067,225&z=2

Robin

Aug 26, 2008, 5:30:02 PM8/26/08
On Aug 26, 2:57 pm, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

<wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since RACS spans the globe, I thought it would be nice to have a
> Google map so we can show the rest of the world where we sit to read
> our favorite comics.
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf8&lr=lang_en&hl=en&msa=0...

Great idea! But I can't figure out how to put myself on the map. Clue
please?

(I've done it on Frappr before, so I'm guessing this is something of
the same thing?)

--Robin

Dann

Aug 26, 2008, 8:31:09 PM8/26/08
On 26 Aug 2008, Robin said the following in news:16abdfa5-af7f-4ca2-b048-
e5669f...@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com.

http://local.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=68480

http://local.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=68480
#collaborate

Blinky needs to edit the settings for the map. Either he needs to invite
people to help edit the map.....i.e. people with a Google
profile/ID....or let us send him locations that he can then add in one by
one....or open the thing up so that anyone can edit the map.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 26, 2008, 9:43:49 PM8/26/08
Dann and Robin-

Thanks for the heads up- I've never set up a MyMap on Google before. I
think I got the setting corrected to allow anyone to edit the map. Let
me know if it doesn't work and I'll noodle around with it some more.

They have one for the Arlo & Janis blogsite, so I thought it might be
fun for us RACSers to have one, too.

And no, that isn't a typo in the header- I do live near Philly, after
all. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it...)

Sherwood Harrington

Aug 26, 2008, 9:52:25 PM8/26/08

AAACK!! Did I just bomb the project? I just tried to add my locale, and
now all I get when I click Blinky's map is a blank one.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

aemeijers

Aug 26, 2008, 10:08:07 PM8/26/08
It worked for me about 30 seconds ago. I think it might be set a little
too open, though. It offered me the chance to alter the metadata.

--
aem sends...

Robin

Aug 26, 2008, 10:14:47 PM8/26/08
On Aug 26, 8:52 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:

> Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dann and Robin-
> > Thanks for the heads up- I've never set up a MyMap on Google before. I
> > think I got the setting corrected to allow anyone to edit the map. Let
> > me know if it doesn't work and I'll noodle around with it some more.
> > They have one for the Arlo & Janis blogsite, so I thought it might be
> > fun for us RACSers to have one, too.
> > And no, that isn't a typo in the header- I do live near Philly, after
> > all. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it...)
>
> AAACK!!  Did I just bomb the project?  I just tried to add my locale, and
> now all I get when I click Blinky's map is a blank one.

Same thing happened here. I saw a map with three placeholders on it
(only Blinky's had a name) but half the map space empty. I poked
around trying to find how I could add my own name, and next thing I
knew I had two "r.a.c.s." maps in my "personal" map directory, and
both of them show just a blank US map with no placeholders.

Frustration...

--Robin

aemeijers

Aug 26, 2008, 11:24:05 PM8/26/08
Hmm, now I get 2 blank maps as well. Like I said in last post, I think
you maybe set things a little TOO open.

--
aem sends...

Sherwood Harrington

Aug 26, 2008, 11:34:58 PM8/26/08

In the spirit of "no good deed goes unpunished," I think maybe we should
just send our addresses (or as close to them as we wish) to Blinky, and
have him add stuff to a proprietary map. Sort of like ronniecat does
for...

... did for...

Oh, dear. We've been without our den mother 'way, 'way, 'way too long,
haven't we?

George Peatty

Aug 27, 2008, 8:52:39 AM8/27/08
On 27 Aug 2008 00:31:09 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Blinky needs to edit the settings for the map. Either he needs to invite
>people to help edit the map.....i.e. people with a Google
>profile/ID....or let us send him locations that he can then add in one by
>one....or open the thing up so that anyone can edit the map.

We can do the latter by leaving our names and locations in the comments
section, as least one regular here has done ..

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 27, 2008, 10:15:03 AM8/27/08
On Aug 26, 11:34 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:
> Boulder Creek, California- Hide quoted text -

OK, I'm confused- it looks like some folks have entered their
information.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&lr=lang_en&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115790882740779116409.000455613d33c6ba1376f&safe=on&z=4

Regardless, I'll be glad to enter locations for anyone who has trouble
accessing the map.

ronniecat, where are you?!!!

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 27, 2008, 10:08:11 AM8/27/08
wrote:
> Boulder Creek, California- Hide quoted text -

I'll be glad to enter the information. I just wish I could figure out
how ronniecat did it.

<<sob!!>> We miss ya, ronnnie!

Peter B. Steiger

Aug 27, 2008, 10:58:33 AM8/27/08
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:52:39 -0400, George Peatty sez:
> We can do the latter by leaving our names and locations in the comments
> section, as least one regular here has done ..

Or in our .sig lines

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

George Peatty

Aug 27, 2008, 11:17:00 AM8/27/08
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
<wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Regardless, I'll be glad to enter locations for anyone who has trouble
>accessing the map.

I did it, and it only took two hours .. Besides seeing where fellow RACSers
hang out, this was a nice lesson humility, for those moments when I actually
think I'm computer-literate ..

aemeijers

Aug 27, 2008, 6:00:55 PM8/27/08

gettin' the same 2 blank maps here, battle creek MI.

--
aem sends.....

George Peatty

Aug 27, 2008, 6:20:44 PM8/27/08
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:00:55 GMT, aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:

>gettin' the same 2 blank maps here, battle creek MI.

Sign out, then hit refresh ..

racs...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2008, 8:09:02 PM8/27/08
Okay, I think I've out done you all.

I tried to center in on my location and now it appears that about
eight people live here, none of them with names.

whatEVER.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Sherwood Harrington

Aug 27, 2008, 8:56:55 PM8/27/08
pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I think I've out done you all.

> I tried to center in on my location and now it appears that about
> eight people live here, none of them with names.

> whatEVER.

We *all* live in Fill-in-the-Blank Falls, sir.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek Falls, California

aemeijers

Aug 27, 2008, 9:27:11 PM8/27/08
Thanks- that did it. This particular corner of Google is not intuitive
or user-friendly, is it? But now the boxes to add locations or edit an
entry are not there.....

aem sends...

Mark Jackson

Aug 27, 2008, 9:39:55 PM8/27/08

I just tried logging in, going to Google Maps, and selecting My Maps;
RACS is listed in the sidebar, and selecting that link yields the map
with markers and an Edit button.

It looks like using the proffered URL more than once is a fatal error...

I love to draw. I loved to draw a lot more
before I became a cartoonist. - Aaron McGruder

aemeijers

Aug 27, 2008, 10:03:42 PM8/27/08
Mark Jackson wrote:
> aemeijers wrote:
>> George Peatty wrote:

>>> Sign out, then hit refresh ..
>> Thanks- that did it. This particular corner of Google is not intuitive
>> or user-friendly, is it? But now the boxes to add locations or edit an
>> entry are not there.....
>
> I just tried logging in, going to Google Maps, and selecting My Maps;
> RACS is listed in the sidebar, and selecting that link yields the map
> with markers and an Edit button.
>
> It looks like using the proffered URL more than once is a fatal error...

Okay, that worked, and thanks. Again, not intuitive or user friendly. In
an earlier part of my career, I did software testing. I got a reputation
as being able to break anvils. Any user package that could easily get
stuck in corners like this, due to not-unexpected scenarios of how
software and data would be used, would be written up as a bug. One
reason they took me off software testing- I was too close to the
process. You need cold users, because the best way to break fool-proof
software is to turn fools loose on it.

--
aem sends...

aemeijers

Aug 27, 2008, 10:12:58 PM8/27/08
Well, it worked once. Even going in manually, the second time, no update
buttons. I'll mess with it more tomorrow, if I remember. I need to read
my comics now....

--
aem sends...

Peter B. Steiger

Aug 27, 2008, 10:39:39 PM8/27/08
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:56:55 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
> We *all* live in Fill-in-the-Blank Falls, sir.

Don't make fun of computer illiterate old people.

--
Peter B. Steiger
TRS-80, WY

Sherwood Harrington

Aug 27, 2008, 11:07:58 PM8/27/08
Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:56:55 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
>> We *all* live in Fill-in-the-Blank Falls, sir.

> Don't make fun of computer illiterate old people.

Hey, I'm the one who killed the damn' map the first time.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Geriatric Falls, California

Sherwood Harrington

Aug 27, 2008, 11:10:39 PM8/27/08
aemeijers <aeme...@att.net> wrote:

> You need cold users, because the best way to break fool-proof
> software is to turn fools loose on it.

When I was actually doing research about a million years ago, there was a
sign on the wall of the Lick Observatory shops concerning hardening
equipment against mis-use:

"First, we make it fool-proof.
Then we make it astronomer-proof."

This map thingie definitely ain't astronomer-proof.

Mike Beede

Aug 27, 2008, 11:49:30 PM8/27/08
In article <g954qe$gic$2...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:56:55 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:
> >> We *all* live in Fill-in-the-Blank Falls, sir.
>
> > Don't make fun of computer illiterate old people.
>
> Hey, I'm the one who killed the damn' map the first time.

I notice you're showing up as "Sherwood Ha."

Apparently you all greased the skids, because it only
took me five minutes.

Mike Beede

Wayne Farmer

Aug 28, 2008, 3:32:09 AM8/28/08
On Aug 27, 9:12 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:
> aemeijers wrote:
> > Mark Jackson wrote:
> aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Try logging out. The map should become visible. Then select "Save to
My Maps", and you'll be prompted to log in. You should then see it
there too.

I just put myself on the map too. Did you know that you can customize
the icon by right-click, Properties, and then clicking on the icon? I
made mine a snowflake just to be different, but maybe that's going
against the spirit of the map. Heck, you can change it yourself if
you like. I even deleted a bunch of empty placemarks. This is
definitely not protected against abuse and sock-puppetry.

Detox

Aug 28, 2008, 9:35:40 AM8/28/08
On Aug 28, 3:32 am, Wayne Farmer <use...@endymionsystems.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 9:12 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:
> > aemeijers wrote:

> > > Okay, that worked, and thanks. Again, not intuitive or user friendly. In
> > > an earlier part of my career, I did software testing. I got a reputation
> > > as being able to break anvils. Any user package that could easily get
> > > stuck in corners like this, due to not-unexpected scenarios of how
> > > software and data would be used, would be written up as a bug. One
> > > reason they took me off software testing- I was too close to the
> > > process. You need cold users, because the best way to break fool-proof
> > > software is to turn fools loose on it.
>
> > Well, it worked once. Even going in manually, the second time, no update
> > buttons. I'll mess with it more tomorrow, if I remember. I need to read
> > my comics now....
>
> Try logging out.  The map should become visible.  Then select "Save to
> My Maps", and you'll be prompted to log in.  You should then see it
> there too.
>
> I just put myself on the map too.  Did you know that you can customize
> the icon by right-click, Properties, and then clicking on the icon?  I
> made mine a snowflake just to be different, but maybe that's going
> against the spirit of the map.  Heck, you can change it yourself if
> you like.  I even deleted a bunch of empty placemarks.  This is
> definitely not protected against abuse and sock-puppetry.- Hide quoted text -

Is "anti-intuitive" a word? If not then it should be just to describe
this process.

Sadly, none of our compatriots in non-North American locales have
markers on the map.

Mark ought to add this to the FAQ.....along with lengthy instructions.

--
Regards,
Dann

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 28, 2008, 9:35:52 AM8/28/08
On Aug 28, 3:32 am, Wayne Farmer <use...@endymionsystems.com> wrote:
> definitely not protected against abuse and sock-puppetry.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to Jimmy Johnson's posting on his blog today, I've located a
(hopefully) better mapping program:

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/Blinky

At least I think it is better. Anyone else have problems with it?

Rob Wynne

Aug 28, 2008, 9:47:25 AM8/28/08
Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't see any way to add pins to it. Or do we need to send you our
coords?

Y'know, Google is usually so good at UI (second to Apple, really), that it
surprises me to see something this opaque from them.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 28, 2008, 11:48:01 AM8/28/08
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:57:49 -0700 (PDT), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
<wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Since RACS spans the globe, I thought it would be nice to have a
>Google map so we can show the rest of the world where we sit to read
>our favorite comics.
>
>http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf8&lr=lang_en&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115790882740779116409.000455613d33c6ba1376f&safe=on&ll=48.922499,-103.710937&spn=104.277067,225&z=2

Los Angeles County, California; or just Los Angeles, California,
that's all I'll say . . .

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 28, 2008, 11:55:17 AM8/28/08
On Aug 28, 9:47 am, Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

Click twice at the spot you want to palce a pin.

Jym Dyer

Aug 28, 2008, 12:01:13 PM8/28/08
> Is "anti-intuitive" a word?

=v= No, but "counterintuitive" is, and of it's of
relatively recent vintage.
<_Jym_>

P.S.: Who are these Yo we're talking about?

Jym Dyer

Aug 28, 2008, 12:04:16 PM8/28/08
> Y'know, Google is usually so good at UI (second to
> Apple, really), that it surprises me to see something
> this opaque from them.

=v= I would put Yahoo! second to Apple. They miss some
of el Goog's technical chops, but el Goog has used its
whizbanginess for some stunningly-bad UI.
Settle down, kids!
<_Jym_>

Rob Wynne

Aug 28, 2008, 12:34:41 PM8/28/08
Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hrm. When i click twice, it just zooms in. :/

Robin

Aug 28, 2008, 1:28:49 PM8/28/08

Same here.

Blinky, have you tried frappr? http://www.frappr.com/

I haven't built a map there, but I've put myself on several for
various groups I'm in. It's always been a breeze.

--Robin

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 28, 2008, 1:39:26 PM8/28/08
> Blinky, have you tried frappr?http://www.frappr.com/

> I haven't built a map there, but I've put myself on several for
> various groups I'm in. It's always been a breeze.
>
> --Robin- Hide quoted text -

Curious- it works for me. Perhaps I have a cookie that recognizes me
as the owner. I'll have to noodle around with it some more.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Aug 28, 2008, 1:45:15 PM8/28/08
On Aug 28, 1:28 pm, Robin <rnether...@operamail.com> wrote:
> Blinky, have you tried frappr?http://www.frappr.com/

> I haven't built a map there, but I've put myself on several for
> various groups I'm in. It's always been a breeze.
>
> --Robin

Is this for FaceBook and other webpage applications only?

Mike Beede

Aug 28, 2008, 6:51:32 PM8/28/08
In article
<5070f0d2-7e0d-4445...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,

Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/Blinky
>
> At least I think it is better. Anyone else have problems with it?

It either centers, zooms in, or zooms out with a double click
depending on what modifiers I throw in. The Guugle one doesn't
allow me to edit anything anymore--I assume you turned that
off. I was surprised to see someone less than five miles
from my (incorrectly placed) house. Not that it's a secret--I
just hosed it up.

Apparently there is no good web mapping thing.

Mike

Robin

Aug 28, 2008, 7:09:59 PM8/28/08
On Aug 28, 12:45 pm, Blinky the Wonder Wombat

I've seen people put their frappr maps on webpages, but I don't think
it's limited to them. One of my yahoo groups put together a frappr
map. We just go to the frappr site to use it.

--Robin

ronniecat

Aug 28, 2008, 7:46:43 PM8/28/08
Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote in news:beede-D94EAB.22493027082008
@news.visi.com:

> I notice you're showing up as "Sherwood Ha."

"Sherwood Krabappel" was too long to fit.

ronnie
--
remove my collar to reply via email

Dann

Aug 28, 2008, 8:02:39 PM8/28/08
On 28 Aug 2008, Mike Beede said the following in news:beede-
8360D0.175...@news.visi.com.

It seems that the key to making this gizmo work is to sign out and then
sign back in to Google Maps. And then it also helps to do the old F5 to
refresh the page after you sign back in.

Once I did the above, I was again presented with the 'edit' button and
presumably the opportunity to screw with the map some more.

I once thought that it was impossible to top Microsoft's design of
clicking on the "Start" button to stop the computer. But Google Map's
apparent need for users to sign out, sign in, refresh, do the hokey-pokey
and you turn yourself around....is starting to look like a viable
candidate.